• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

burningranger

Neo Member
brian577 said:
Is it just me or does Twilight's voice sound funny?

Because the girl voicing Twilight in the video is not Tara Strong. She lives in CA. Most of the voice actors for the show live in Vancouver. I'm assuming she records her lines at a separate location or travels up there to do recording sessions.

2th

Banned
Pankaks said:
It's not just you, I thought it sounded like a placeholder voice. Which would be odd, since Spike and Pinky sounded perfectly fine.

yeah that does not sound or look like tara strong.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Pankaks said:
It's not just you, I thought it sounded like a placeholder voice. Which would be odd, since Spike and Pinky sounded perfectly fine.

Yeah, that definitely wasn't Tara Strong.

She might have been busy during that recording session, so they had a placeholder voice to work with the other VAs until she was able to record her lines.

Calpain

That video was pretty awesome! That's the kind of stuff we need in an extras section for the DVD release. Nice to see that even if we don't get that stuff like this is released to Youtube.

As for Twilight's voice. Tara does a lot of voice work so maybe she was busy at the time of that recording and couldn't attend? In the meantime they got that placeholder voice until Tara could record her lines for Twilight.

Anyway, still pretty awesome to see a bunch of the VAs together during a recording session. Man, it would be awesome to see Rarity's VA recording during her whining scene.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Heh, I knew something was off in Twilight's voice in that episode the first time I heard it. Never bothered to look into it, but it's nice to know I was right.

Stuff like this would be cool for DVD release. I always like seeing art on the walls of the office/studio/etc, always something interesting on them.

Flexo

Neo Member
Tara Strong resides in the US, and her sessions are recorded in LA

Everyone else lives in Canada and records in Vancouver

The woman you see in that behind the scenes video is a placeholder actress for the purpose of the other actresses to have someone to play off of when Twilight has dialouge.

Flexo

Neo Member
n8BitMan said:
Heh, I knew something was off in Twilight's voice in that episode the first time I heard it. Never bothered to look into it, but it's nice to know I was right.
You still hear Tara's voice in this episode. It's more like bad voice directing from the LA studio

This same problem exists during "Owl's Well" as well...

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Mirimar said:
Any idea what he got banned for? Was sort of a given, though.

There was a high possibility that he was an alt account.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
ThreeSix said:
Welp, I just turned 24 and here I am, still talking about ponies. Oh well.
KWpRQ.gif

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
ThreeSix said:

Happy Birthday ThreeSix!

z4BAqm.png

Uchip

Banned
I guess its more because im used to being given shit for liking cute things
nobody here seems volatile in that respect...though the rare perverted picture that pops up makes me second guess people ;)

2th

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Nobody did shit for me when it was my birthday (it's Feb. 14th). :mad:
was OT 1 around at that time? i mean i wasnt posting or even inducted into Bronihood but... um... happy belated birthday.

tafer

Narag said:

Blergh... don't tell me I'm the oldest one here.

burningranger said:
Eh, I turned 31 on Monday, but it's all good. I'm one of the older guys here, but I think Myke has me beat by a year or so.

yay... not the oldest one!

Ooops... no offense intended. (Just in case, it's kinda late and the chocolate pudding is taking longer than usual...)

Cheerilee

burningranger said:
Eh, I turned 31 on Monday, but it's all good. I'm one of the older guys here, but I think Myke has me beat by a year or so.
Then I have both of you beat, and am the oldest so far.

Thinking of years, it occurred to be the other day (while attempting to watch Transformers Prime) that if you had told me five years ago that Transformers would eventually be dead to me, and I'd be loving the heck out of My Little Pony... wow. I think it just wouldn't even register.

Edit: 35.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
burningranger said:
If only...

I'm 35.
;_;

Adelor Lyon said:
Here's a brief behind the scenes video of MLP:FIM production. I want to watch an entire episode with the animation in a small window while watching the voice actors full screen. I think that'd be bad-ass.
lGi9f.jpg

Rarity, you kinky girl you.
That was friggin' awesome, thanks for sharing!

ThreeSix said:
Happy birthday, I may cook up something later to celebrate. :)

Ellis Kim

Banned
That's because the artist is kinda bad?

You could say the same for just about any anime-faced youth: swap out the hair, and presto, gender swap.

Minami-ke_S3_E07_04m_57s.png
minami-ke-okaeri-7-mako-chan-in-chiakis-dress1.jpg

Honestly, you guys. You could say the exact same thing about the two boys on the right. Swap out their shirt color and hair, and bam, they're instantly girls.

Neki

human ponies gonna be human is basically what I heard. it's not my fault rainbow hair doesn't actually exist on humans, and if it did, it would look stupid.

*looks at picture*

yep.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Ultimoo said:
human ponies gonna be human is basically what I heard. it's not my fault rainbow hair doesn't actually exist on humans, and if it did, it would look stupid.

*looks at picture*

yep.
I'm just saying that nothing's stopping you from perceiving the two boys as girls. They'd just be butch, and wearing blue.

That's how youths are, period.

Uchip said:
im sorry but short rainbow hair and tomboy personality...yea
Ignore the personality and rainbow hair. I'm not talking about that. Your whole thing about Rainbow Dash being a lesbian is your own weird quirk that I have no plans on following up and arguing over, mostly because I think its terribly stupid.

Neki

Ellis Kim said:
I'm just saying that nothing's stopping you from perceiving the two boys as girls. They'd just be butch, and wearing blue.

That's how youths are, period.

Ignore the personality and rainbow hair. I'm not talking about that. Your whole thing about Rainbow Dash being a lesbian is your own weird quirk that I have no plans on following up and arguing over, mostly because I think its terribly stupid.

I don't think they're girls because the likelihood of an artist drawing them as butch is much smaller than the likelihood of them being drawn as boys. I don't know how popular butch fan art is, or butch human ponies to be honest.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
More fan art for the discerning pony lover:

Crossover goodness:

And this was how Gummy was made:

All over my T-shirt!

Noel is my other pony art god.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Ultimoo said:
I don't think they're girls because the likelihood of an artist drawing them as butch is much smaller than the likelihood of them being drawn as boys. I don't know how popular butch fan art is to be honest, or butch human ponies to be honest.
Its not a question of likelihood of the artist's intent, but perceptional differences of the viewer based on gender socialization and bias.

Fact is: I can go and photoshop that image, and make them all wear pink shirts, or blue shirts, and the only thing you'd be able to base their gender on is your knowledge of the show and their hairstyles. If I went a step further and made them all bald, and reversed their shirt colors, you'd be at odds with yourself about what gender they are.

Neki

I don't get what you're trying to argue. Don't you agree that Rainbow Dash's gender can often be misconstrued due to the way artists choose to visual her? That's all I'm saying, most artists insist on drawing her in some stereotypical short rainbow hair punk.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Ellis Kim said:
That's because the artist is kinda bad?

You could say the same for just about any anime-faced youth: swap out the hair, and presto, gender swap.

Honestly, you guys. You could say the exact same thing about the two boys on the right. Swap out their shirt color and hair, and bam, they're instantly girls.
*shrugs*
Pre-puberty boys and girls look pretty much the same, once we take off the layer of decorations imposed by genre conventions.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Ultimoo said:
I don't get what you're trying to argue. Don't you agree that Rainbow Dash's gender can often be misconstrued due to the way artists choose to visual her? That's all I'm saying, most artists insist on drawing her in some stereotypical short rainbow hair punk.
My issue is two parts: confusion about her gender, and Uchip's annoying accusations about Rainbow Dash's, god forbid, "sexual preference."

Without touching Uchip's whole... thing, I'll address your point.

Any non-Pony fan will look at human pony art and think nothing of it. At best, they'll think what both of you have expressed. But my point is that a Pony fan shouldn't even have to begin questioning anything at all from the start.

An artist can establish a fiction for an illustration, and state that such-and-such is genderswapped. Or the audience can say "dude, your art kinda stinks, why does such-and-such's anatomy make him/her look like a dude/dudette?"

But when it comes to youth, simplified art styles and genders aren't always the best of friends, with the artist often resorting to relying on hair styles, eyelashes, and gender-biased colors to establish who is what. You could say the same of some rather androgynous children in real life, up until puberty anyways, and some even older.

Point is: no, they can't be misconstrued as otherwise unless the artists says so, or the artist is incompetent to the point of being unable to deliver subtle anatomy cues. Tweens in particular are impossible to be misconstrued without using hair, color, and mannerisms as a crutch.

Myke Greywolf said:
*shrugs*
Pre-puberty boys and girls look pretty much the same, once we take off the layer of decorations imposed by genre conventions.
Thank you, exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom