• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

So you're saying I should be questioning the artist's style? I'm no expert in drawing, but how am I supposed to tell whether an artist's drawing style is bad or not?

Ellis Kim

Banned
Ultimoo said:
So you're saying I should be questioning the artist's style? I'm no expert in drawing, but how am I supposed to tell whether an artist's drawing style is bad or not?
Not necessarily. I'm saying that there's no need to question it at all. What I'm trying to convey is that as a viewer, you should become more aware of what makes you discern between such things as gender, and why you do so. The point is that the artist simply drew her in a way that made her more androgynous than she would be as a pony.

And this is despite the more slender ribcage for both herself and Fluttershy, compared to the slightly more butch boys.

Uchip said:
*backs away slowly*
Dude, I don't even know where to start with you :/

Ellis Kim

Banned
Ultimoo said:
so the problem is people need to stop drawing them as young teenagers, and more like adults then?
No. That was never the point. What age group the artist draws them in is of their own volition.

This has been a drawn out way of me saying "being confused about Rainbow Dash's gender in these human pony drawings is silly unless the artist establishes fiction saying as much, or if the anatomy demands as much (in older ages and detail)."

Even in this drawing, you can see that the artist made the conscious effort to give the two girls less muscle mass than the boys, giving a scrawnier look to emphasize a feminine appearance, along with the fiction's hair and gender-biased shirt colors.

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
Adelor Lyon said:
Here's a brief behind the scenes video of MLP:FIM production. I want to watch an entire episode with the animation in a small window while watching the voice actors full screen. I think that'd be bad-ass.
As was said before, bonuses like this would be fantastic on an eventual Bluray release. I especially love the excitement that Andrea Libman has during her Pinkie Pie lines. For the last few years, I worked part time as an extra in the film industry (primarily kids shows like iCarly and Victorious). Though my aspirations involve engineering, not film, I find the production process to be really interesting. It's fascinating to see how the crew work together to produce those shows, and I would love to see footage like this for MLP.

Regarding the placeholder for Tara Strong, that is also common on live action television shows. For Nickelodeon's Victorious, they had 3 crew members whose jobs were to replace stars during rehearsals. They would also substitute for off-camera stars during special shots that couldn't be taken during the main filming session.
ThreeSix said:
Welp, I just turned 24 and here I am, still talking about ponies. Oh well.
Happy Birthday!
Jintor said:
Conversely, who's the youngest?

Teenagers represent!
After everyone's posts above, I feel really young now. I just graduated from high school, and I'm still 17 until September.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Quinnjaminn said:
After everyone's posts above, I feel really young now. I just graduated from high school, and I'm still 17 until September.
If it makes you feel any better, kids who weren't born when Halo Combat Evolved came out are now in elementary school, walking and talking.

Or Kingdom Hearts, for that matter.

I'm sure that'll make you feel old.

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
Ellis Kim said:
If it makes you feel any better, kids who weren't born when Halo Combat Evolved came out are now in elementary school, walking and talking.

That really reminded me of this chart from xkcd.

movie_ages.png

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
See, I told you human ponies will bring grief!

Ellis Kim said:

Sadly that means they will experience much more mediocre games than those two.

:p

Ellis Kim

Banned
Ookami-kun said:
Sadly that means they will experience much more mediocre games than those two.

:p
I can't believe you just said that D:
Quinnjaminn said:
That really reminded me of this chart from xkcd.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/movie_ages.png[/[/QUOTE]
lol, for me, its when I realized that there were kids who weren't born when Pokemon and Digimon came out :S

Real talk.

[spoiler]Pokemon GB link cable battles/trades, Digimon tamagotchi thingies[/spoiler]

Boss Doggie

Ultimoo said:
Kingdom Hearts is awesome, shut your pie hole.

KH (the first game) is awesome. The rest? It was much better when OrgasmXIII wasn't made and someone tried to make it deep.

Neki

Ookami-kun said:
KH (the first game) is awesome. The rest? It was much better when OrgasmXIII wasn't made and someone tried to make it deep.
Birth by Sleep was awesome. shut your pie hole.

Boss Doggie

Ultimoo said:
Birth by Sleep was awesome. shut your pie hole.

Unless KH suddenly revealed that there's a vat full of naked Sora clones, nah, it still isn't good.

Also, that game is fueled my hatred on Japan's view on Lilo and Stitch - Lilo is pretty much an important factor in the lore yet they keep removing her.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Ultimoo said:
Kingdom Hearts is awesome, shut your pie hole.
I remember being the only person in my group of FF fan nerds who was genuinly optimistic about Kingdom Hearts, and watched as everyone around me ate crow.

The key was seeing Cloud's awesome outfit in a shitty low-res trailer on the official site :x

Jintor

Ellis Kim said:
Dude, I don't even know where to start with you :/

I mean, do you have any idea - any idea at all - who you're talkin' too?

Okay. Here goes. Grass grows, birds fly, and brother - I hurt people.

I'm a force 'a nature.

Jintor said:
I mean, do you have any idea - any idea at all - who you're talkin' too?
Okay. Here goes. Grass grows, birds fly, and brother - I hurt people.
I'm a force 'a nature.
He lit himself on fire to get a mod to tag him. I wouldn't mess with success.

32 years old as of June 15 here. 30+ crowd represent!

tiff

Banned
So we have three people here who turn 21 in July? What the hell.

Ellis Kim said:
You could say the same for just about any anime-faced youth: swap out the hair, and presto, gender swap.
That's what makes anime so good!

That "Behind the Scenes" video apparently went private in the last 30 minutes before I could show it to co-workers to figure out which version of Flash they're using. FFFFffuh.

OMG Aero

Adelor Lyon said:
Here's a brief behind the scenes video of MLP:FIM production. I want to watch an entire episode with the animation in a small window while watching the voice actors full screen. I think that'd be bad-ass.
Man, seeing Pinkie's voice coming out of an actual person is weird.
ThreeSix said:
Welp, I just turned 24 and here I am, still talking about ponies. Oh well.
This calls for...
yGbHP.gif

Also add me to the list of people that are 21 this year, but mine was in March.

tiff

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:
I don't get it, what is supposed to be so surprising about that?
Given the large age range here it's kinda weird to have 34 people almost exactly the same age.

There's a lot of July birthdays in my RL circle of friends too so it's just kinda funny seeing that carry over to PonyGAF.

Uchip said:
or alternatively its what makes it bad :)
Nope! Genderswapping is always a good thing ;)

Jenga

Banned
after seeing some pics of disgusting MLP gatherings I will say this

amidst the ugly anti-social bronies there lurk some hittable woman tail

taking advantage of what little knowledge i've gleaned from monitoring you freaks, i can be sure to woo some ladies while you all look on stuttering and having epileptic fits or whatever

"WHAT'S THAT? OH YEAH I LOVE RAINBOW TWILIGHT, HOW ABOUT ME AND YOU GO TO MY ROOM AND FUCK"

Neki

Jenga said:
after seeing some pics of disgusting MLP gatherings I will say this

amidst the ugly anti-social bronies there lurk some hittable woman tail

taking advantage of what little knowledge i've gleaned from monitoring you freaks, i can be sure to woo some ladies while you all look on stuttering and having epileptic fits or whatever

"WHAT'S THAT? OH YEAH I LOVE RAINBOW TWILIGHT, HOW ABOUT ME AND YOU GO TO MY ROOM AND FUCK"

It's progress I suppose.

Ookami-kun said:

It's really not supposed to be deep, or at least appreciating it on those merits is a recipe for disaster. It's all about ludicrously complicated plot lines and ridiculously over-the-top action. Think of it as the Squeenix version of Rocky Horror; it's the camp factor that makes the whole thing work.

Ookami-kun said:
I've always wondered if Pinkie Pie has some sugar-related diseases.

Saddest fanfic ever =(

Ookami-kun said:
Ookami-kun said:
Unless KH suddenly revealed that there's a vat full of naked Sora clones, nah, it still isn't good.
I will agree that KH1 was fantastic and did a great job of making an original story involving all the villains working together, but don't the majority of KH players do so more for the gameplay than the story? I know I hated most things about KH2, but that didn't stop me from playing BbS, simply based off all the praise it's new battle system received. I'm glad I did too, because I enjoyed the characters in BbS way more than any of the previous original characters.

I've only played the first two KHs, and really enjoyed them. I think introducing the villain team in the GBA game hurt the second game a bit. I was kinda confused. There are these black hooded guys, but half of them are already dead and I'm playing as one of them who is also Sora? The combat was better than 1 though so it didn't really matter. Also Tron.

Boss Doggie

Amibguous Cad said:
It's really not supposed to be deep, or at least appreciating it on those merits is a recipe for disaster. It's all about ludicrously complicated plot lines and ridiculously over-the-top action. Think of it as the Squeenix version of Rocky Horror; it's the camp factor that makes the whole thing work.

That's it though - the complication is reeking of what teenagers enjoy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How are you monsters doing this evening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom