• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Interesting, but it sounds like you guys are helping each other watch a show through illicit means.

That would be unfortunate.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Interesting, but it sounds like you guys are helping each other watch a show through illicit means.

a lot of things can sound like a lot of things, you a spook?

we just hang out in this room and some horrible person pirates ponies at us! we have no control over what plays, its the mysterious synchadmin do-wrong's fault!

Orcastar

You know what else is unfortunate?

UaeIY.gif

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ok, we had the piracy conversation a few months ago and I believed it came to a satisfactory conclusion, but apparently some of you guys didn't get the message. So let me lay it out for everyone:

- Piracy is bannable on this forum.
- Links and directions to illicit content and illicit streams are bannable.
- References to illicit methods of acquisition are conducted at your own risk.
- Because you guys have made clear what the Synchtube channel is used for, any further mention will be bannable.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So, the old and new IRC rules are as follows:

No story spoilers for an upcoming episode, until 4-5 (depending on daylight savings) hours after this episode airs.

In general, common sense is applied to what exactly a story spoiler is. Most episode titles aren't, but an official episode synopsis will probably be considered a spoiler.

When in doubt, just ask if anyone cares to hear about it, otherwise use #ponyspoilers as a temporary second room. Don't forget you can open up more than one channel tab in most IRC clients and the web interface.

Spoilers will probably be punished with a lot of Capslock and a kick, in case of heavy spoilers ("Twilight will die this episode") a temporary ban is not out of the question.
Just play fair with everyone who hasn't seen the episode yet and is excited to find out what it's about on his own.

For non-Pony spoilers: Again, just use common sense :) Don't spoiler the hell out of currently running serieseses, books etc.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
How about we just kick out all the Pegasus pony haters?

As long as that hateful and bigoted term used to refer to Earth Ponies is also left in the wastebin of history, I am perfectly fine with this.

Until then, RBD will continue to represent all that is hateful and oppressive in the Pegasus regime, and Scootaloo will always be treated as a pratfall to AB and SB's individual character strengths, as well as a chicken.

LuffyZoro

As long as that hateful and bigoted term used to refer to Earth Ponies is also left in the wastebin of history, I am perfectly fine with this.

Until then, RBD will continue to represent all that is hateful and oppressive in the Pegasus regime, and Scootaloo will always be treated as a pratfall to AB and SB's individual character strengths, as well as a chicken.

There's nothing wrong with mud ponies.

shaowebb

Fixed the eye, nose, hoof, hair a little and added a little bit here and there. Now it looks better. I've tried scanning it instead of using a camera too but the result looks a bit pale. Any tips on scanning pencil drawings?

If it won't come out because its too light then that in and of itself may be your biggest problem since it takes playing with brightness and contrast levels on the scan itself just to get it to show up. Having clean paper that the side of your hand has wiped a ton of charcoal or something over is a must too. But if you draw lightly its hard to pickup cleanly. You may need to darken your work. Rather than use more pressure I suggest using a more brittle grade of pencil to get darker lines.They come in grades. "H" pencils are light because they are hard and less comes off on paper. "B" pencils are brittle and dark because more comes off them onto the paper. You can even erase them easily even if you make a deep black since you didn't actually drive the line into the paper very hard! Being able to fully erase solid blacks is awesome. I'd suggest a small $3 multipack. 4h is my super light sketch in the geometry and ground work pencil. 2b or HB is my darken in the lines I want to keep from my groundwork to make the picture pencils.

Also you get different results depending on whether you scan with it still in your notebook or if you remove it to put it on the scanner. You see the paper absorbs light and if its got more paper behind it in can gray and dull the overall look of your scanned work. If you throw just the sheet in the lid has a backing on it that causes a light bounce to counteract the subsurface scattering of light problem so your image shows up cleaner and brighter.

Truth be told though it always pays to just clean up your sketches in photoshop and redo your linework using small strokes, a soft edge brush, and at an opacity/flow of around 50% or something. This way you don't commit to any blacks immediately and you can build them up slowly into the shades you want in each area just like on paper. After all who draws a line thats huge and with 100% of their hand strength on paper? No one. You make small light strokes and build them up darker. Just brush it gently and build it up otherwise your work will have that awful wiggly look you see when folks attempt to trace improperly.

I have to cleanup a lot of my work. Case in point.
nRcjC.jpg

If taking your stuff out of your notebook and messing with your scanner's brightness/contrast settings fixes thing for you then awesome. However, if not just remember what I said about proper cleanup work. Don't make large strokes or they'll get all wiggly and look wrong and will be extremely hard to match to your original. Don't use a solid black at 100% flow/opacity. Just lower the flow/opacity down to like 50% or something and build up the darkness of your lines.

If you don't have photoshop just download its free knockoff GIMP and use it. Never use MSpaint for anything when you have GIMP as a free option. If you got photoshop though it has more tools to use for other things though so its better as you advance, but I've seen even pros still stick to GIMP because frankly some folks don't need a lot of options if they only need the program for certain things. Do use either photoshop or GIMP though for cleanup because those brush settings are a must and so are using layers. Layers I can cover later for color work as they are crucial to it. Flood fill is hardly ever your answer. Usually you have to select, expand selection by 2 pixels, create layer beneath linework layer, flood fill selection, and then set linework layer to Multiply on its blend mode to overlay it on top of the color. Without this process you get white pixels between the black lines and the color fill. If you expand selection and fill on the same layer you erode your linework and it gets odd sometimes.

I'll try to post tutorials to help whenever I can.

$200

Banned
If it won't come out because its too light then that in and of itself may be your biggest problem since it takes playing with brightness and contrast levels on the scan itself just to get it to show up. Having clean paper that the side of your hand has wiped a ton of charcoal or something over is a must too. But if you draw lightly its hard to pickup cleanly. You may need to darken your work. Rather than use more pressure I suggest using a more brittle grade of pencil to get darker lines they come in grades. "H" pencils are light because they are hard and less comes off on paper. "B" pencils are brittle and dark because more comes off them onto the paper. You can even erase them easily even if you make a deep black since you didn't actually drive the line into the paper very hard! Being able to fully erase solid blacks is awesome. I'd suggest a small $3 multipack. 4h is my super light sketch in the geometry and ground work pencil. 2b or HB is my darken in the lines I want to keep from my groundwork to make the picture pencils.

Also you get different results depending on whether you scan with it still in your notebook or if you remove it to put it on the scanner. You see the paper absorbs light and if its got more paper behind it in can gray and dull the overall look of your scanned work. If you throw just the sheet in the lid has a backing on it that causes a light bounce to counteract the subsurface scattering of light problem so your image shows up cleaner and brighter.

Truth be told though it always pays to just clean up your sketches in photoshop and redo your linework using small strokes, a soft edge brush, and at an opacity/flow of around 50% or something. This way you don't commit to any blacks immediately and you can build them up slowly into the shades you want in each area just like on paper. After all who draws a line thats huge and with 100% of their hand strength on paper? No one. You make small light strokes and build them up darker. Just brush it gently and build it up otherwise your work will have that awful wiggly look you see when folks attempt to trace improperly.

I have to cleanup a lot of my work. Case in point.
nRcjC.jpg

If taking your stuff out of your notebook and messing with your scanner's brightness/contrast settings fixes thing for you then awesome. However, if not just remember what I said about proper cleanup work. Don't make large strokes or they'll get all wiggly and look wrong and will be extremely hard to match to your original. Don't use a solid black at 100% flow/opacity. Just lower the flow/opacity down to like 50% or something and build up the darkness of your lines.

If you don't have photoshop just download its free knockoff GIMP and use it. Never use MSpaint for anything when you have GIMP as a free option. If you got photoshop though it has more tools to use for other things though so its better as you advance, but I've seen even pros still stick to GIMP because frankly some folks don't need a lot of options if they only need the program for certain things. Do use either photoshop or GIMP though for cleanup because those brush settings are a must and so are using layers. Layers I can cover later for color work as they are crucial to it. Flood fill is hardly ever your answer. Usually you have to select, expand selection by 2 pixels, create layer beneath linework layer, flood fill selection, and then set linework layer to Multiply on its blend mode to overlay it on top of the color. Without this process you get white pixels between the black lines and the color fill. If you expand selection and fill on the same layer you erode your linework and it gets odd sometimes.

I'll try to post tutorials to help whenever I can.

These are awesome tips. Thanks shaowebb!

I have a bunch of 6B pencils laying around which I used to draw animals and portraits before. For the Applejack drawing, I used regular lighter/harder pencils since I wanted the result to look clean and with less lines. Perhaps I will switch back to darker pencils once I become more comfortable with drawing cartoons.

I will try playing around the brightness/contrast settings of the scanner to see the differences. Right now I have no plan to use graphics editing Software to do enhancement however since I know next to nothing about CG or how to draw with a mouse.

shaowebb

These are awesome tips. Thanks shaowebb!

I have a bunch of 6B pencils laying around which I used to draw animals and portraits before. For the Applejack drawing, I used regular lighter/harder pencils since I wanted the result to look clean and with less lines. Perhaps I will switch back to darker pencils once I become more comfortable with drawing cartoons.

I will try playing around the brightness/contrast settings of the scanner to see the differences. Right now I have no plan to use graphics editing Software to do enhancement however since I know next to nothing about CG or how to draw with a mouse.

All you need to draw with a mouse is in that post.

Here's a screenr tutorial of it in action to watch to get an idea for how to use a mouse or pen properly to get good results. Remember its not the tool...its the artist. Tablets are good and all, but all they do is generally make someone faster. It doesn't suddenly make the difficulty of being good at cleanup work any easier for them either. That comes down to technique so I'll do what I can to teach people technique here. General rule is people will do the best work with whatever tool they are comfortable with. This applies to pens, pencils, or anything. Since to do anything digitally you need to learn how to get comfortable with something other than your pencil I'll do what I can to help.

Tutorial on how to draw using a mouse or tablet. Full screen it to watch my grays turn into blacks and such with the technique I show.

I made this last week to help some folks with similar problems in class. Watch the vid and enjoy.

Theonik

Another method you can I guess try is to scan the outline and then convert the image into a 1-bit black and white image. You can then shade and colour your drawing digitally. This method works well for cartoon drawing as you would typically only have simple well defined lines that should show as black on your 1-bit drawing while the rest should be white. (you would have to go back to sRGB after of course)
Experiment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom