• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm like half way through season 1.

I really like it. I have never judged anyone for liking MLP. Maybe I did unintentionally, at one point. But for the most part I had never seen it, making me incapable of judging it.
Glad you like the show~ I don't know if the quality went down, or if there's too many episodes, but nothing has beaten the magical feeling of watching the first season. It's just great.

Season 2 and 3 are great, too. But when you watch it for the first time with season 1 it has this added honeymoon feeling where you're realizing "oh hey this is a show I like and can enjoy"

PaulloDEC

I really like it. I have never judged anyone for liking MLP. Maybe I did unintentionally, at one point. But for the most part I had never seen it, making me incapable of judging it.

Welcome! Glad you're enjoying the show, you've got a lot of great stuff to look forward to.

If I could give any piece of advice, it'd be to avoid reading too many impressions on the rest of the show until you've watched it all yourself. As with any fandom there's a ton of differing viewpoints, and you'll likely have more fun enjoying the show free from all of that before you dive into the discussion.

Have fun!

McNum

Honestly, I'm sitting here in the middle of a bunch of bullshit here. The haters look as stupid and moronic as some of the people calling themselves "bronies" imo. Don't care, just wanna enjoy a fun cartoon and enjoy it for what it is and appreciate the craft of a storytelling medium I thoroughly enjoy.

That probably describes the vast majority of PonyGAF. I like the show because of its writing and cute animation. What they're getting out of Flash is just amazing. Yes, Friendship is Magic is animated in Flash. And while Season 1 has some nice shots and animation, you'll still have some very nice moments to come in the next two seasons. Flash really shouldn't be able to do some of those that well.

As for the extremes, well, everything has those. And seeing how ponies all of sudden got big, there'll be more of those since the fandom exploded in size. But it's easily avoidable in my experience. Personally, I've only gotten as far as drawing fanart, but I needed an excuse to learn how to draw, anyway, and drawing cute ponies was it. Gotten decent at it, too.

Cheerilee

It takes the age old 22 minute cartoon block of each episode being a self contained subject and I think it rolls with it. Whereas most 22 minute cartoons of this nature tend to be separated into two halves, MLP does a great job by making each episode a whole. Characters stand out a lot this way.
That's an interesting observation, seeing as how Hasbro initially wanted MLP:FIM to have 11 minute episodes, so the first scripts were written for that format, and then Hasbro eventually gave in and allowed Lauren Faust to have her preference, which was 22 minute episodes, which resulted in the scripts being re-written.

Honestly, I'm sitting here in the middle of a bunch of bullshit here. The haters look as stupid and moronic as some of the people calling themselves "bronies" imo. Don't care, just wanna enjoy a fun cartoon and enjoy it for what it is and appreciate the craft of a storytelling medium I thoroughly enjoy.
When this video starts to make sense to you, you can safely call yourself a brony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zHZj8Xp-Ik

$200

Banned
That's an interesting observation, seeing as how Hasbro initially wanted MLP:FIM to have 11 minute episodes, so the first scripts were written for that format, and then Hasbro eventually gave in and allowed Lauren Faust to have her preference, which was 22 minute episodes, which resulted in the scripts being re-written.

The original length Faust wanted was actually 44 minutes I think, don't have source though.

Also it's pretty silly for someone to deny being a "brony" because of whatever negative impressions there are associated with that term imo. If you're a fan of the show, you're a brony. If you spend a decent amount of time on NeoGAF, you're a gaffer, same deal.

Not gonna buy me a pony toy, or some shit, but I definitely like the show. Can't wait fer more!

And for the sake of brevity:

fnORYDd.gif

Yep, you hit the nail right on the head. It's why I tend to avoid the Brony topics in the OT. The whole "LOL Bronies are sick perverts" back and forth argument just gets so old after a while.

Seeing people get upset on Facebook, when an official page decides to post some fun, harmless crossover of some kind and people act like they have to hate it on principle, going out of their way to state their disapproval can be pretty sad too. But it can be funny as well.

Videoneon

I guess I could do a mini review. It takes the age old 22 minute cartoon block of each episode being a self contained subject and I think it rolls with it. Whereas most 22 minute cartoons of this nature tend to be separated into two halves, MLP does a great job by making each episode a whole. Characters stand out a lot this way. Honestly, the pony thing is the last thing I like about it. I mean, there's the occasional moment when it can be cute as fuck but it'd be just as cute if they were humans and I'd get the same enjoyment out of it.

I think the best thing I can say about Friendship Is Magic is how well written the secondary cast is. Typically in cartoons, they focus around a central cast of characters and the show never really goes beyond that, but MLP: FIM does a bit more than that, and reminds me of The Simpsons in a way. Much like how The Simpsons is about The Simpsons, but slowly expands towards the town of Springfield and its denizens, My Little Pony does a great job giving you a reason to care about the pony folk of Ponyville. It's well written for a kids show, and it definitely treats its audience with a modicum of respect.

The show continues to wow me visually. The animation is AAA and you can feel the love in it. There are some shots I'd re-do in a different way, that I think clash with the aesthetic, but it's still really good. Fucking Canadians, man. Great facial reactions in this fucking show. Pinkie's reaction at 00:03:

Not gonna buy me a pony toy, or some shit, but I definitely like the show. Can't wait fer more!

Nice to see you enjoying it! Power through S2 and S3 (the latter of which has half as many episodes as a normal season) by November and you will be in time for Season 4!

Love the picture!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't like Rainbow Dash.

Twilight Sparkle = Pinkie Pie > Fluttershy > Applejack > Rarity >>>> Rainbow Dash

Dash is okay, but I think she's a bitch.

You'll come around. Rainbow Dash is the best pony, followed by Fluttershy. Pegasus ponies are the best ponies. Even the show runners showed this. When it came time for a Pegasus centric episode, they made a lot of really cool looking new background characters. Flitter and Cloud Chaser. Not to mention the great, Big McLargehuge.

This is of course just within the mane 6. Celestia is really the best pony.

**Comic**
This is sadly true. Though I never submitted any stories myself, I had others do so for me... UGH!
I don't like Rainbow Dash.

Twilight Sparkle = Pinkie Pie > Fluttershy > Applejack > Rarity >>>> Rainbow Dash

Dash is okay, but I think she's a bitch.
hmmm... I'll skip this for now.
I think Applejack is the superior tomboy. I even find Rainbow Dash redundant with Applejack's existence though I know it's meant to be a nod to the original My Little Pony.
NO NO NO!!! Rainbow Dash was NOTHING like that.. She "Always dressed in style DARLING!!!" If I may correct you, she is actually like good old Firefly! ;p

Don't worry. i try not to argue (too much) about people's opinion's on ponies. It is so silly and...
You'll come around. Rainbow Dash is the best pony, followed by Fluttershy. Pegasus ponies are the best ponies. Even the show runners showed this. When it came time for a Pegasus centric episode, they made a lot of really cool looking new background characters. Flitter and Cloud Chaser. Not to mention the great, Big McLargehuge.

This is of course just within the mane 6. Celestia is really the best pony.

No comment on Celestia, but I SHALL agree with Rainbow Dash. She has learned from Season 1. Fluttershy however, has what I call "Meriwether disease" meaning she is unable to change unless it is drastic by a certain writer! ;p

Cheerilee

I think Applejack is the superior tomboy. I even find Rainbow Dash redundant with Applejack's existence though I know it's meant to be a nod to the original My Little Pony.
VNbYfCN.jpg

Applejack is there because she's the only G1 pony who Hasbro held onto the rights for. The other five ponies are G1 personalities grafted into legally-acceptable G3 bodies.

Rainbow Dash is there because Firefly was always Lauren Faust's favorite.

Personally, I like RD's simple-minded approach to things, and think AJ is "the boring one" of the mane six, but AJ's boringness is important to the team, like the "straight man" who makes a zany comedian funny.

judhudson

Maybe I'm just bitter that its been almost 4 months and they still haven't refunded folks money from the bomb that was Sweet Apple Acres Con (I paid for a vendors table), but jesus there seems to be way too many MLP conventions popping up. Hell, last night I saw one of my local Bronies - who is only a teenager start a Facebook page to try to get one in Alabama. I already wrote a lengthy wall of text on why its not wise to do so, but she didn't listen.

Then she goes 'lol I have no idea what I'm doing, looking for help/volunteers' and I literally facepalmed.

I woke up this morning, only to see two more pop up - ones trying to get started in Memphis Tennessee, then another in Knoxville.

I'm surprised Hasbro hadn't cracked down and put an end to this for the fandom, or at least make it to where there can only be a couple.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Maybe I'm just bitter that its been almost 4 months and they still haven't refunded folks money from the bomb that was Sweet Apple Acres Con (I paid for a vendors table), but jesus there seems to be way too many MLP conventions popping up. Hell, last night I saw one of my local Bronies - who is only a teenager start a Facebook page to try to get one in Alabama. I already wrote a lengthy wall of text on why its not wise to do so, but she didn't listen.

Then she goes 'lol I have no idea what I'm doing, looking for help/volunteers' and I literally facepalmed.

I woke up this morning, only to see two more pop up - ones trying to get started in Memphis Tennessee, then another in Knoxville.

I'm surprised Hasbro hadn't cracked down and put an end to this for the fandom, or at least make it to where there can only be a couple.
Biggest problem is fans wanting to make every event a new Comicon. There IS space for a myriad of small-scale meet-ups and even small cons for local fans only, but it seems like everyone wants to have the VA's and big artists in there, and still profit from it, or else it's just not worth it.

Start small, people. Many local youth centers and such would love to have their places filled with small, grassroots, non-profit events like these. Just... take it easy with the "extreme fan" behavior, please. Or else the first time may also be the last. ;)

Personally, I like RD's simple-minded approach to things, and think AJ is "the boring one" of the mane six, but AJ's boringness is important to the team, like the "straight man" who makes a zany comedian funny.

*stealing that image, and Yes, AJ is boring, but a GOOD boring!

I do agree. I am terrified of the politics behind these cons (especially at the bullshit that EQLA is going through with that one lady, and other factors) Though the good of it, is that the North and South California groups are trying to come up with a better convention system.I look forward to seeing the results personally. As much as I loved EQLA, the fact that the Q/As were lost forever pisses me off to no end.

Regarding smaller groups... simply stay small, and have art shows, or fan appreciation? It doesn't have to be big! Hell, I am a part of Desert Bronies... despite not having a leader in place currently (he is doing his firefighting training, so it is understandable), yet, some 20 miles away, there is the main meet for Inland Empire Bronies (which honestly, could stand to be divided up, as the Inland Empire in Cali is big!)

Is there room for a big type of meetup, or smaller local groups? I believe so. Sadly, the leaders seem to think "WE NEED TO BE BIG!" which to me is foolish.

Biggest problem is fans wanting to make every event a new Comicon. There IS space for a myriad of small-scale meet-ups and even small cons for local fans only, but it seems like everyone wants to have the VA's and big artists in there, and still profit from it, or else it's just not worth it.

Start small, people. Many local youth centers and such would love to have their places filled with small, grassroots, non-profit events like these. Just... take it easy with the "extreme fan" behavior, please. Or else the first time may also be the last. ;)

Agreed. I am trying to start the concept of making local groups within the mention mega 'Inland Empire' zone.. but time shall see. I mean, meeting in one central place is fine, if it is in different areas, but not always just one area! (seriously, people have to drive 30+ miles to get to your meet, perhaps consider somewhere closer? I am dumb though, but many teens cannot make it due to those distances, and the group therefore gets insular.. and shit happens.)

Oddly, I think we pony fans should do what the Streetpass groups do for 3DS. Have local meets every couple weeks (or monthly), to talk and do our things, and every other month (up to quarterly, which works out here great), scheduling permitting, have a group of groups meet! So you have the big gathering, but also smaller ones more spaced out.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
People certainly overestimate this fandom in terms of ability to have conventions. I bet even Bronycon won't survive much longer than 5 years after the show ends. Least not in anything resembling it's current form.

Even Star Trek, one of the biggest fandoms out there, there are only a few Trek specific cons. Most Trek cons are now general Science Fiction conventions. I think at best Pony cons might be absorbed into animation conventions.

BDGAME

People certainly overestimate this fandom in terms of ability to have conventions. I bet even Bronycon won't survive much longer than 5 years after the show ends. Least not in anything resembling it's current form.

Even Star Trek, one of the biggest fandoms out there, there are only a few Trek specific cons. Most Trek cons are now general Science Fiction conventions. I think at best Pony cons might be absorbed into animation conventions.

True. But I believe it will leave their mark.

PaulloDEC

I watched Sonic Rainboom.

Rainbow Dash is now my number 3 after Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle. Rarity is last. Fuck that bitch.

I imagine your feelings towards each character will shift around a fair bit during the first season. They probably won't solidify until you're at least partway through S2.

If you hate Rarity you're going to love knowing that there hasn't been a Rarity episode since 2011.

Sweet and Elite?

Cheerilee

I watched Sonic Rainboom.

Rainbow Dash is now my number 3 after Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle. Rarity is last. Fuck that bitch.

In the MLP world, Wings + Horn = God. Rarity can be forgiven for letting the power go a little to her head.

Also, now might be a good time to point out that Rarity used the Sun (one of Celestia's favorite toys) to project a pastel-colored rainbow (Celestia's rare and beautiful color) down upon an audience that included Celestia, and demanded that everyone worship her as a god. And then the Sun bitch-slapped Rarity. And as she fell to her death, it was Rainbow Dash who had to exceed her own limitations to save her, despite a benevolent god being in attendance. One could say that the Wonderbolts, Celestia's minions, did try to save Rarity before Rainbow Dash did, so maybe Celestia gets credit for that, but Celestia wasn't involved in their decision to save Rarity, so really she doesn't. It's also possible that the Wonderbolts were left join Rarity's fate because they intervened. Celestia didn't specifically want Rarity dead (otherwise she'd be dead), just to fall. Death is merely a common side-effect of falling. The Wonderbolts try to save Rarity? That's fine. They're free to do that. They fail and fall? That's also fine. They made their own bed. Rainbow Dash saves everyone? Sure, that's fine too. And very entertaining, to boot. Good job Rainbow Dash.

Don't underestimate Princess Celestia. She manipulated the entire two-part pilot episode. The fact that she remains spotless is just more proof of how awesome she is.

Also, Guile's Theme goes with everything.

Gotchaye

What are you talking about? Twilight told her how fragile the wings are. It is just a retelling of Icarus. You're looking into it way too hard.

It's a lot of fun with many shows to try to give in-universe explanations for things that are presented to us which seem somehow off. Yeah, Rarity had to be saved by Rainbow Dash because otherwise you don't have a satisfying ending to the A-plot, but presumably Celestia does not have access to the script. So there's some reason to want to account for her behavior in a way that makes the characterization in the show consistent.

This show in particular provides a lot of opportunities for this sort of thing. Most of it has to do with the tension between Twilight's presentation as a nerdy everygirl and her extremely close relationship with the God Empress of Equestria (and tendency to occasionally save the world). Many things that look like plot holes or inconsistencies actually work surprisingly well if you don't take the show's presentation of Twilight and Celestia at face value.

Cheerilee

It's a lot of fun with many shows to try to give in-universe explanations for things that are presented to us which seem somehow off. Yeah, Rarity had to be saved by Rainbow Dash because otherwise you don't have a satisfying ending to the A-plot, but presumably Celestia does not have access to the script. So there's some reason to want to account for her behavior in a way that makes the characterization in the show consistent.

This show in particular provides a lot of opportunities for this sort of thing. Most of it has to do with the tension between Twilight's presentation as a nerdy everygirl and her extremely close relationship with the God Empress of Equestria (and tendency to occasionally save the world). Many things that look like plot holes or inconsistencies actually work surprisingly well if you don't take the show's presentation of Twilight and Celestia at face value.

You said that better than I could. Also, Paullo was right in that I'm rarely entirely serious. I enjoy the show on both the normal and crazy levels.

Two Rarity centric episodes in a row. God.

Since you seem pretty averse to Rarity, would now be a good time to mention that Trixie was actually a hero in the "Boast Busters" episode, and that Rarity tried (and failed) to ruin a stage show with heckling?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The show is much better when you consider Equestria to be a dystopia with Celestia as its Big Sister tyrant, especially since there's evidence for it too.

Gotchaye

The show is much better when you consider Equestria to be a dystopia with Celestia as its Big Sister tyrant, especially since there's evidence for it too.

Yes, I like that one. My preferred hobbyhorse is the (not inconsistent with Big Sister Celestia) reading of Twilight as being enormously important and powerful but so poorly socialized and (initially) isolated from others that she's oblivious to the fact that she's essentially the crown princess, even though lots of other ponies are well aware of it. Sweet and Elite is one of my favorite episodes because of how it practically comes out and makes that canon (the ending is much better with this in mind too, although perhaps somewhat dark combined with Big Sister Celestia). With that in mind, I'm less unhappy with the ending of season 3 than many.

Videoneon

The 2nd ever BroNYCon, the only one I went to, was fairly well run with cheap food and fun things to do (though no air conditioning) but unfortunately a game system was stolen during the overnighter that I wasn't a part of. The overnighter featured alcohol for the of-age.

There are really two problems in my mind - the sense of scale the cons go for and the age audience they go for. For the first one, I sort of expect that most new ones that pop up nowadays are highly localized? I went to a meet up for one in my state...it didn't have any pretensions and was fun for that meetup, though the facebook wars that later developed were dumb so I drifted away. The second one, well the organized meetups generally only attract non-children (the attraction of children to meet ups organized by fans only really matters to Hasbro). I suppose alcohol is sort of a problem, but then again not really, or at least, only really to Hasbro.

This is ultimately unenforceable. That being said---

I agree with this. In due time pony conventions will wither away to the very few.

Since you seem pretty averse to Rarity, would now be a good time to mention that Trixie was actually a hero in the "Boast Busters" episode, and that Rarity tried (and failed) to ruin a stage show with heckling?

This...is a familiar train of thought to me. I've changed my name--I used to be Greenhowse--but I think I've debated this with you before and do not see Trixie as a hero at all. I don't think just because she was enterprising she fundamentally captured a moral spirit.

I see that now that you're back again, and with Season 4 on the rise, we may very well restart our moral debates =)

Cheerilee

This...is a familiar train of thought to me. I've changed my name--I used to be Greenhowse--but I think I've debated this with you before
I'm really bad with names, so name changes don't bother me. I forget all of your names equally. :p

and do not see Trixie as a hero at all. I don't think just because she was enterprising she fundamentally captured a moral spirit.

I see that now that you're back again, and with Season 4 on the rise, we may very well restart our moral debates =)

Basically, I reject the idea of Trixie being a braggart and a liar. I see her as an artist. Maybe it's for-profit, or maybe it's a free show, but in any case she's living what looks to be a pretty meager life in a mobile home filled with the tools of her trade, for the sake of her life's true calling (magic-trick cutie mark), and I find that admirable. I don't mind her over-the-top persona or her fiction, and I think she's allowed to take pleasure in playing the role.

Rarity, AJ and RD tried to wreck her show, for reasons that I think fit with their characters. And Trixie (despite being a mere trickster) shut them down and looked good doing it. Twilight got some undeserved splashback, but that was mostly Spike's fault, and Rarity/AJ/RD indirectly gave it to Twilight much worse than Trixie did.

Trixie was a jerk to Snips and Snails, that's undeniable. But they were bothering her at her home, well outside of performance hours. And at least she kept up the act, and didn't tell little kids that there is no Santa Claus.

Snips/Snails/Spike caused the main threat in the episode, not Trixie. And they did it because they believed in Santa Claus. But I can't fault Trixie for not telling the kids the truth. That (as well as supervision) is their parents job.

When the main threat appeared, Trixie dropped the act. When everypony ran, and Snips/Snails continued to put themselves in danger, she deliberately put herself back into danger, and tried to fight a battle she knew was unwinnable, as well as telling a truth which made her uncomfortable, when the easy thing to do would have been to keep on running. It's not a lot, and wasn't effective, but I think that pushed her into hero territory.

The only effective hero, Twilight, hesitated to save the day because of Rarity/AJ/RD's actions, not because of anything Trixie did. If anything, Twilight felt a kinship with Trixie (another magician in the land of dirt ponies), and was more interested in watching Trixie's show than anyone else was (not counting children). And when the time came for Rarity/AJ/RD to apologize to Twilight, the non-contributors basically called Twilight an idiot, and took another uncalled-for shot at Trixie. Now homeless, Trixie puts back on her show-persona and runs away, which is a fair response to the welcome she received in this town.

For those interested, the Don Bluth animated film "Bartok the Magnificent" (a pseudo-prequel to Anastasia) basically starts off with the exact same premise as this episode (it even has an Ursa), but it's flipped so that the performer is recognized as an unwilling hero.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yes, I like that one. My preferred hobbyhorse is the (not inconsistent with Big Sister Celestia) reading of Twilight as being enormously important and powerful but so poorly socialized and (initially) isolated from others that she's oblivious to the fact that she's essentially the crown princess, even though lots of other ponies are well aware of it. Sweet and Elite is one of my favorite episodes because of how it practically comes out and makes that canon (the ending is much better with this in mind too, although perhaps somewhat dark combined with Big Sister Celestia). With that in mind, I'm less unhappy with the ending of season 3 than many.
To be fair, the ending of season 3 was telegraphed even without creative interpretation. It's just that few believed they would actually pull the trigger on it and when they did they assumed it was Hasbro making them.

What upset me about s3 was simply that Meghan McCarthy is not that good of a writer, and not many in the writing staff picked up the slack. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom