• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotchaye

I certainly agree that it can be a little hard to be a known fan of the show on the forum, or at least hard when there's a reminder of that right next to all of your posts. We had a conversation a little while ago about avatars, and, like I said then, part of why my avatar is what it is is that I want to avoid people derailing unrelated conversations to talk about it and I don't want people (even just to themselves) dismissing what I'm saying because of it. That gets old really fast, I imagine. It's certainly okay to think that a particular creative work is uniquely terrible, but you've got a problem when you start thinking that there's something wrong with people for enjoying it, other than that they have bad taste and ignoring the obvious edge cases where it can plausibly be argued that the creation of the work is downright immoral.

I find myself rolling my eyes at how often people seem to want to talk about some new creepy thing someone posted on the internet, but it doesn't personally bother me until "this guy has problems" or "this show attracts lots of weird people" bleeds over into "people who like this show have problems". Because, yeah, it's probably not entirely healthy to be convinced you're in a relationship with Twilight Sparkle, per that forum post that gets posted every so often. I'm uncomfortable with it being generally okay to mock people who would probably benefit from therapy, but this is not an issue faced only by fringe elements of the fan community of this show.

Acerac

Banned
I certainly agree that it can be a little hard to be a known fan of the show on the forum, or at least hard when there's a reminder of that right next to all of your posts. We had a conversation a little while ago about avatars, and, like I said then, part of why my avatar is what it is is that I want to avoid people derailing unrelated conversations to talk about it and I don't want people (even just to themselves) dismissing what I'm saying because of it. That gets old really fast, I imagine. It's certainly okay to think that a particular creative work is uniquely terrible, but you've got a problem when you start thinking that there's something wrong with people for enjoying it, other than that they have bad taste and ignoring the obvious edge cases where it can plausibly be argued that the creation of the work is downright immoral.
I've got a similar situation with my avatar, though a few times when I was rocking RBD I got compliments that they never thought a pony fan would present well reasoned arguments like I did.

Comically enough, furry avatars are totally acceptable! GAF is such an odd place.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
nice_catch__by_kp_shadowsquirrel-d6kwf1n.jpg

See, Twilight's the one Pinkie should be afraid of. She just ruined a book.

We have a followup.

ice_catch__by_kp_shadowsquirrel-d6le9ii.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Comically enough, furry avatars are totally acceptable! GAF is such an odd place.
I beg to differ! The response is just more muted and delayed.

But I would never advocate considering such a thing as a reason not to do it. What Gotchaye describes sounds defeatist to me. If people aren't used to seeing something that's ultimately harmless, help make it mundane for them! Hiding what you do and like online with a pseudonym is just so pointless.

Acerac

Banned
I beg to differ! The response is just more muted and delayed.

But I would never advocate considering such a thing as a reason not to do it. What Gotchaye describes sounds defeatist to me. If people aren't used to seeing something that's ultimately harmless, help make it mundane for them! Hiding what you do and like online with a pseudonym is just so pointless.
If the show had kept it's quality through the third season I would be far more tempted to do so. Given the circumstances I feel like I'd have the image just to prove a point.

*Looks at my steam avatar*

Granted, it does work well as a filter. If people will judge me for having a certain avatar there's really that much less reason to communicate with them. We'll see how RBD does in season 4. :p

Can I just say that Acerac is one of my favorite posters? Because you are.

And everytime I think me and the rest of SonicGAF have made Sonic fans seems rational, another "typical" Sonic thread comes along. It's like clockwork, really. We know when to chime in, and we know when to bail out.

Well, them more than me. :x

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If the show had kept it's quality through the third season I would be far more tempted to do so. Given the circumstances I feel like I'd have the image just to prove a point.
Haha, well, in my case I would be selling myself short if I had kept on my MLP/Anthro streak. Now if only I could find a decent Aiko Senoo pic to work with...

PaulloDEC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaA0lkAshXI&list=FL-j-xkTQzwkOQNdQ2YETEjg

One of the most gorgeous looking pony related videos evar.

It's very nicely done for sure, but I just can't get over how goofy the SFM pony models look. There's something about the proportions... their heads always look way too big and bulbous for their bodies.

Maybe it's just me. Egophiliac did a great test model a while back that I feel pretty much nailed the proportions:

It's very nicely done for sure, but I just can't get over how goofy the SFM pony models look. There's something about the proportions... their heads always look way too big and bulbous for their bodies.

Maybe it's just me. Egophiliac did a great test model a while back that I feel pretty much nailed the proportions:

Ego made that? Damn, that looks dang good.

McNum

I drew something special for PonyGAF:

PonyGAF Poker Night, as requested by Firehead.

This one took a while, since, you know, there are four ponies on this one. There are a couple of PonyGAF references in it, too. See if you can find them.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I drew something special for PonyGAF:

PonyGAF Poker Night, as requested by Firehead.

This one took a while, since, you know, there are four ponies on this one. There are a couple of PonyGAF references in it, too. See if you can find them.
Great job, McNum. I'm sure that all the ponies people involved will be extremely happy, and thank you for letting me be a part of the making of this piece.

McNum

Great job, McNum. I'm sure that all the ponies people involved will be extremely happy, and thank you for letting me be a part of the making of this piece.
And thank you for showing me that trick with the Opacity Watercolor Tool in Manga Studio. That cut down the time it took shading this by a lot. I'll have to play some more with that. Once I get a good idea for what to draw next, of course.

Uh, got a question:

is there any particular reason some of you guys feel the need to show your love for ponies IRL? I was walking around my office and saw a Rainbow Dash wallet just sitting on a table, and was about to take a pic when some ponytailed guy showed up all nervous-looking and claimed it. Like, if you're so nervous why buy a pony wallet in the first place? I didn't even mention that I actually watched the show myself since this little meeting was already weird enough.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Uh, got a question:

is there any particular reason some of you guys feel the need to show your love for ponies IRL? I was walking around my office and saw a Rainbow Dash wallet just sitting on a table, and was about to take a pic when some ponytailed guy showed up all nervous-looking and claimed it. Like, if you're so nervous why buy a pony wallet in the first place? I didn't even mention that I actually watched the show myself since this little meeting was already weird enough.
It was also a wallet left sitting in a public place.

It was also a wallet left sitting in a public place.

Well that wasn't really an issue for us. We're all making plenty here, no need to steal - plus how far could you get with a pony wallet?

I'm really just wondering why MLP strikes people as something they want to share with the world. I can think of plenty of things I've watched and enjoyed: Young Justice most recently, Adventure Time, various Chinese cartoons, etc... but I have no desire to reveal my knowledge of specific things to people who have expressed no interest.

judhudson

Well that wasn't really an issue for us. We're all making plenty here, no need to steal - plus how far could you get with a pony wallet?

I'm really just wondering why MLP strikes people as something they want to share with the world. I can think of plenty of things I've watched and enjoyed: Young Justice most recently, Adventure Time, various Chinese cartoons, etc... but I have no desire to reveal my knowledge of specific things to people who have expressed no interest.

Personal preference, I guess. I'm a geek, I like geeky things. I have numerous BTTF shirts, Ghostbusters, My Little Pony shirts. Same goes with themed wallets of the types and whatnot. It really isn't about showing off, its more of I just want to wear what I enjoy.

Same goes with my car. I have vinyl decals of the TARDIS, Ghostbusters Logo, BTTF Flux Capacitor and Rainbow Dash. I like surrounding myself with stuff of my enjoyment.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

And yet you have an anime avatar!

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

Sounds like you're embarrassed about some things you are interested in, which is fine, since a lot of people feel shame to varying degrees, especially when it comes to professing an interest in a cartoon primarily intended for consumption by children.

Something like having an MLP wallet is small-time compared to the more fervent fans out there, though, even those who claim devotion to other fandoms. Would you shame someone for having a Mario wallet? What about a Star Wars wallet? While people can go a bit overboard with merchandise defining their wardrobe, something petty as a wallet (which one usually keeps hidden in their pockets especially) seems like a fine object to express your interests on, since stuff like that can always be used as a great conversation starter or just as a casual "nod" to other fans and to give them something to post on message boards about later on.

And yet you have an anime avatar!

The fact that he has any avatar at all, even. It's not like the guy was going out of his way to explain all the intricacies of the show to him; he just left a wallet laying around (presumably by accident), unless his complaint is directed towards the more verbal members of the fandom, in which case I will merely shrug and say "every fandom has people like that".

PaulloDEC

Uh, got a question:

Same reason anyone wears or carries any kind of themed item I guess; when you like something, its fun to put it on display (even if you're not 100% comfortable about everyone seeing it). I have a brony shirt I've worn in public a few times, an experience which is usually accompanied by a mix of pride and self-conciousness.

I've got this in the mail too, actually:

I wear my necklaces inside my shirts, but it'll make me smile to know that I'm wearing it, even if nobody else does. I guess fans are weird that way.

Gotchaye

I have a t-shirt that I wear to make people uncomfortable. I got a kick out of presenting at a meeting while wearing it. It's also just a fairly nice weekend t-shirt. Granted, it was a gift, and I've really never been the type to buy fandom-related stuff. Except my Lego Super Star Destroyer which sits on the top shelf of my desk at work.

Videoneon

I have a t-shirt that I wear to make people uncomfortable. I got a kick out of presenting at a meeting while wearing it. It's also just a fairly nice weekend t-shirt. Granted, it was a gift, and I've really never been the type to buy fandom-related stuff. Except my Lego Super Star Destroyer which sits on the top shelf of my desk at work.

A pony shirt? Did you get any comments or was it just looks of bewilderment?

I have a Rarity t-shirt that I haven't worn for a while but have taken out in public. Should take it for a spin again sometime. Perhaps find something i can wear to the gym.

Uh, got a question:

Really, why would Pony displays be different from most any other display on a wallet that is "nerdy"? Besides the whole "it's a show for girls!!!" thing. It's a hobby, it's inoffensive, and I personally find it hilarious that people get agitated regarding hobbies that have no reason to be shunned, not to say that this reflects you. I wouldn't care if you wore a Young Justice shirt while wandering around in public--why the hell not?

I'm reminded of a time (I think I posted about it here) where I was at Starbucks and some dude had a 20% cooler shirt or something and I made a comment to him saying "Rarity is best pony, dude!" and he just sort of nervously smiled and kept going. Might've just been his shyness or he had stuff to take care of. I acknowledge that some people are shier in general (the guy in your post must have been, at least with regards to his wallet or he was afraid of being judged) but as long as we've got more people being tolerant, open-minded, and progressive on this stuff, we can change the "cultural angst" of it.

Uh, got a question:

I'll answer my view: Some people who wear things don't give a shit what others think.

*proudly shows my Psycho path shirt in public, that I am wearing now!*

Seriously, I don't care much for what a person wears or shows on their clothes or accessories. It is their thing. Never been hassled or anything regardless of the various fan stuff I wear.

Only time I ever get comments is if I either have my art book with me, and some nosey kid looks through it (most likely they comment of ThunderHead... no one likes TH! ;p) or, if I happen to be with my little sister, and bring Blitzy or Silhouette (my OCs) and the customs to play with her. Then, they ask about them.

I had a classic nintendo controller wallet once. My car dashboard has a dragon warrior slime, a defiance plushie,and a salaboulder from a vaporware game. My desk at work has had magic: tg posters on display, transformers toys on the desk, along with anime figmas. because of neogaf I also have a "all my friends are dead" book on display. it's next to the zombie survival guide. I used to have a nintendo zapper hanging on the wall on display. my lanyard is a league of legends lanyard, which I sometimes rotate out for my disneyland one, or valve one, or my antec one. when bored I pull out my 3ds and doodle, or play idolmaster on my iphone. oh I also have a mlp blind bag 2.5 inch figure under my monitor.

OH SHIT GUYS. THIS GUY FEELS THE NEED TO SHOW HIS LOVE OF PONY IRL GET THAT SHIT OUT OF HERE STOP SHOVING IT IN MY FACE LET ME TAKE A PICTURE OF THAT LOOK AT THIS GUY SHOWING HIS LOVE OF THINGS

Gotchaye

A pony shirt? Did you get any comments or was it just looks of bewilderment?

I have a Rarity t-shirt that I haven't worn for a while but have taken out in public. Should take it for a spin again sometime. Perhaps find something i can wear to the gym.

Yes, a pony shirt. Nothing too out there - navy with an outline of Rainbow Dash plus a colored mane and cutie mark, "20% Cooler" underneath. People comment, of course - it's a very unusual thing to see if you don't frequent the right parts of the internet - but IME most real people are willing to take seriously a reasonable explanation of why the show is worth watching (I should note that the real people I interact with are twenty-somethings in Austin, so YMMV). Internet people are just jerks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom