• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Man

Banned
Sorry Doc.

hail_to_the_swarm__baby__by_atryl-d6t7t1o.png

Link

PaulloDEC

So is Equestria Girls worth watching?

Here's what I ended up settling with.

Me said:
I liked Equestria Girls. Would I watch a television spin-off? It's a good question. I'd probably give it a shot. The film held onto a lot of the things we love about MLP; the well-written characters, the sense of humour, the optimism and the heart. However, it also lacks some significant parts that made FiM special, and substitutes others for less interesting alternatives. The fantasy world of Equestria is a huge draw for fans of FiM, with the storybook locales and mythological creatures providing an exciting backdrop to the action. In comparison, a stock high-school setting just feels flat and pandering in comparison. In general, the con temporising of the MLP scenario saps the character from the show in all sorts of ways, from the limitations on the storytelling to the narrowing of the musical scope to a more modern-pop ballpark. Overall, it feels lesser than FiM, like the sub-show it is, honestly.

But y'know, that's fine. The "Friendship is Magic" name remains untarnished, and the film exists for those who're into it to be into it. I had a good time watching, and it needn't offer anything more than that.

I have no idea what this is a reference to, but that Fluttershy/Snake picture is pretty adorable.
it's a reference to people dismissing complaints about spoilers is a form a of bullying. take an unpopular opinion, and mock it.
If you've seen any of the last few pages, people are being pretty spoiler-conscious. The above picture of Celestia and Luna doesn't really show anything noteworthy, which I imagine is why no-one is making a fuss about it.
And yet, here narag and owl are. but making a fuss is too much drama when you're beaten into submission every time the topic is brought up

PaulloDEC

it's a reference to people dismissing complaints about spoilers is a form a of bullying. take an unpopular opinion, and mock it.

I've never thought of mild sarcasm as being a form of bullying, but ok I guess.

And yet, here narag and owl are. but making a fuss is too much drama when you're beaten into submission every time the topic is brought up.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here exactly. Was that promo image a problem for you? I'm absolutely in favour of keeping spoilery content behind links or tags, but I can't see any reason why that particular image shouldn't be ok to post.

$200

Banned
I've never thought of mild sarcasm as being a form of bullying, but ok I guess.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here exactly. Was that promo image a problem for you? I'm absolutely in favour of keeping spoilery content behind links or tags, but I can't see any reason why that particular image shouldn't be ok to post.

I'm ok with that image but like I say all the promos (from trailers, posters, ads, etc) are actually spoiling half of the story already and it's understandable that some people would not want to see all of them.

Heck, it's still 2.5 weeks away but we already know all these from the opening episodes:
- Dash teaching Twilight to use wings
- Weird stuffs going on, thunderclouds, etc.; including one scene in Canterlot
- Celestia and Luna missing at start of episode
- Mane 6 enters Everfree Forest wearing Elements of Harmony
- Twilight enters flashback showing Luna turning into Nightmare Moon in the old castle
- Luna losing control of power as NMM
- Celestia and Luna will appear either in flashback or later in the episode
- Discord will appear
- Elements of Harmony Tree
- One clip showing Celestia casting magic on the Tree of Harmony
- Whatever else I missed here

I'm sure we will learn more about the story from the "promos" yet to come in the next 2.5 weeks.

PaulloDEC

I'm ok with that image but like I say all the promos (from trailers, posters, ads, etc) are actually spoiling half of the story already and it's understandable that some people would not want to see all of them.

I'm sure we will learn more about the story from the "promos" yet to come in the next 2.5 weeks.

Absolutely, and speaking for myself, I'll be putting anything of that kind behind links or spoiler tags for sure.

Just to make my position clear, I'm 100% in favour of preventing people from being spoiled. I'm just not a fan of keeping absolutely everything under wraps, even if it isn't actually spoilery.

first time seeing luna work her magic on the moon and it's plastered on a promo image like a cheap whore. no more 'fuck yes, moon magic!' for the premiere it'll be 'oh ok, now I finally see the scene spoiled. i can check that off my list.'

even without moon magics, any preview pic is a spoiler because I'll start waiting for that picture instead of enjoying the show
Absolutely, and speaking for myself, I'll be putting anything of that kind behind links or spoiler tags for sure.

Just to make my position clear, I'm 100% in favour of preventing people from being spoiled. I'm just not a fan of keeping absolutely everything under wraps, even if it isn't actually spoilery.
which is what the other thread was for

maybe it's time for a season 4 thread?

PaulloDEC

first time seeing luna work her magic on the moon and it's plastered on a promo image like a cheap whore. no more 'fuck yes, moon magic!' for the premiere it'll be 'oh ok, now I finally see the scene spoiled. i can check that off my list.'

even without moon magics, any preview pic is a spoiler because I'll start waiting for that picture instead of enjoying the show
which is what the other thread was for.

To be honest, if you're in a position where preview material of any kind is going to damage your enjoyment of the show, it's probably time to go full-blackout.

Cheerilee

Pre-release hype can be an amazingly fun thing, but it can also be a bit spoilery, and I know my preference (for MLP, at least) is to go in blind. If we're all going to hang out together during this time, then we need to be considerate of each others feelings and make some occasional compromises. I recognize that spoiler tags and linked images put a significant damper on the fun, and appreciate that people have been good about it (seriously, thank you all). I accept that a few edge details might accidentally get spoiled for me, but I know it's not on purpose, so lets not fight about these things. If it gets to be a bit too much, I might have to increase my mental barriers, or maybe step outside.

And AFAIK, the rule of thumb once we have the new season thread is that people try to make an effort to use spoiler tags over there, until the episode airs, at which point all restrictions are lifted. If it's Pony Day (or later) and you haven't seen the latest episode yet, then you should probably stay out of that thread if you don't want open spoilers.

Once that thread exists, this one sort of doubles as a spoiler refuge. It's good for crazy people like me and Owl (although it might get a little quiet in here), and for regular people who just haven't seen the episode yet for whatever reason. During this time, it's probably a good time to be extra-vigilant on spoilers over here, and not openly post things like fanart of new characters.

So is Equestria Girls worth watching?
I braced myself for the worst, and ended up enjoying it. But it has flaws and could have been better. I'd say it's on par with season 3.

Owl's commanding me on irc to make the season 4 thread, unless anyone else want to do it?
Have we decided on a thread title yet?

I suggest "The Most Epic Thing"

To be honest, if you're in a position where preview material of any kind is going to damage your enjoyment of the show, it's probably time to go full-blackout.

I'd agree, except that it's so easy to avoid posting even trivial spoilers by posting a link and noting the spoilerness for the image that started this discussion that even those of us who are less squeamish about spoilers really ought to do it as a matter of courtesy. It's certainly a lot easier than going full blackout.

I'll note that we really don't get to decide for Owl or anyone else what constitutes reasonable spoilers and what doesn't. He's in a minority, but it's such an easy to accommodate minority that I can't attribute a reluctance to help him out as anything other than dicknishness.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I just want to be able to talk and share without somebody flipping out half the time. Since this isn't possible in PonyGAF, I chose to remain absent much of the time, which is a shame, as I'm fond of most of you guys.

He couldn't have his ideal thread where nobody actually talks to each other or shares anything.

Oh come on, does putting the image behind a link and spoiler tagging discussion of it really impact the thread that much?

I just want to be able to talk and share without somebody flipping out half the time. Since this isn't possible in PonyGAF, I chose to remain absent much of the time, which is a shame, as I'm fond of most of you guys.

Then spoiler your shit. If you have a question as to whether you should spoiler it, spoiler it anyway. Owl's not the problem; you are.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh come on, does putting the image behind a link and spoiler tagging discussion of it really impact the thread that much?
Although there is much to be said on the nature of such an acute concern over spoilers, it's less the act itself, and more the dynamic promoting it. This isn't an isolated incident, and considering my alternatives I no longer have the patience for it.

I'll wholeheartedly concede that I don't know what I should be expecting here, as I somehow think that things will be better after a period of time.

I do go full blackout on things. The issue is when threads have a certain set of rules and change them withou notice. I'm pretty sure the things I'm commenting about were not posted in this thread before. Rules suddenly being changed. I'm asking for clarification, and if this is how the thread is, then that's fine I just don't click on the thread.

Without the S4 thread open yet, it's easy to see why all the discussion is coming here, so I can just leave the thread for a few weeks. Hopefully this won't cause a precedent when the S4 thread actually opens.

And note I only spoke up in the first place because Hitokage made the negative comment to someone bringing up spoilers.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I got back to drawing ponies:

If whoever is doing the thread for S4 would like an illustration for it as a banner and has a nice idea for it, I invite him to PM me here or in IRC, as I would be delighted to do some work for that purpose.

Loona

How about "Twilight Princess"?

Perfect.

As for a banner, the one thing that comes to mind is Twilight working through a pile of books, with a "done" pile referencing the past season, maybe 1 each:
- "Mare on the Moon" (season 1)
- "Principia Discordia" (season 2)
- "Crystal Empire" (season 3)
- "Of Mirrors and the Multiverse" (EG)
(Tweak the titles, amount and references as you see fit)

Have her reading something about learning to use her new wings - there shouldn't be a lot of those, so something about physical rehabilitation for pegasi would be more likely, maybe called "Relearning to Fly".

The "to do" pile of books could be drawn in a way that would hide titles, since most of the season, and the possibility of seasons after that, is still unknown.

Maybe a bit Twilight-centric, but the wings are an issue that's bound to be tackled early on, and the rest sounds like a sufficient nod to the past.

PaulloDEC

How about "Twilight Princess"?

Love it.

As for a banner, the one thing that comes to mind is Twilight working through a pile of books, with a "done" pile referencing the past season, maybe 1 each:
- "Of Mirrors and the Multiverse" (EQ)

Have her reading something about learning to use her new wings - there shouldn't be a lot of those, so something about physical rehabilitation for pegasi would be more likely, maybe called "Relearning to Fly".

The "to do" pile of books could be drawn in a way that would hide titles, since most of the season, and the possibility of seasons after that, is still unknown.

Maybe a bit Twilight-centric, but the wings are an issue that's bound to be tackled early on, and the rest sounds like a sufficient nod to the past.

This sounds great to me.

You guys take your colorful talking horses way to seriously.

Ponies = serious business.

novenD

That has already been done for a previous season OT, I'm afraid. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Well, now I just feel stupid.

Perfect.

- "Of Mirrors and the Multiverse" (EQ)

I like the sound of this though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom