• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunonabi

I understand syndication but I don't understand what that has to do with cancellation? Did Hasbro just want to meet the minimum episode requirement and then just kill it ehilebit has a syndicated cash cow?

That was the speculation since season 3 was just enough episodes for syndication, the Equestria Girls nonsense, and MMM was written like a series finale.

I get the feeling that they didn't know what Hasbro plans really were so they wrote it as final season just in case.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I understand syndication but I don't understand what that has to do with cancellation? Did Hasbro just want to meet the minimum episode requirement and then just kill it ehilebit has a syndicated cash cow?

Pretty much Hasbro still didn't realize what they had in this show when S3 went in to early production 2 years ago. They were also starting to look at the Equestria Girls movie at about the same time.

PaulloDEC

Finished season 2. It is about as perfect as a season can get. Fantastic and the high point of this series. My season 3 impressions so far? "Did they hire new writers? Because something seems off."

If I could use one word to describe S3, it'd be "uneven". There's some absolutely fantastic stories in there, but they're surrounded by quite a few weird or unremarkable ones.

And Magical Mystery Cure is awesome.

Hopefully the return to a full-season structure will see the show return to the consistent quality of S1 and S2.

Tenumi

Banned
Magical Mystery Cure has got to be one of the worst pony episodes ever.

I really liked Magical Mystery Cure. One of my favorite episodes.

I have a feeling S4 is going to be back to the roots as far as quality. Less "pressure" in a sense as far as longevity goes.

kunonabi

People badmouthing Magical Mystery Cure as an episode (aside from being a bit too packed) are crazy.

It was a great concept that got capped at the knees for the princess stuff and neither really worked well. The music may have been great but it should have been separate episodes or at the very least a two-parter.

Plus the cutie mark switching didn't make a lot of sense. Rainbow Dash's cutie mark isn't about the weather and Rarity's isn't about fashion either.

PaulloDEC

It was a great concept that got capped at the knees for the princess stuff and neither really worked well. The music may have been great but it should have been separate episodes or at the very least a two-parter.

Plus the cutie mark switching didn't make a lot of sense. Rainbow Dash's cutie mark isn't about the weather and Rarity's isn't about fashion either.

The cutie mark switch thing was kinda weird, but I think the idea was more "destiny switch", with the cutie marks simply being an easy/shorthand representation of that.

Tenumi

Banned
The cutie mark switch thing was kinda weird, but I think the idea was more "destiny switch", with the cutie marks simply being an easy/shorthand representation of that.

Pretty much, hence the lyric "It's got to be my destiny, and it's what my cutie mark is telling me"

At least that's the way I interpreted it.

PaulloDEC

The cutie mark song was also the best one in the episode.

I do love that one, but I think "True True Friend" might just edge it out for me. I'm such a sucker for the big orchestral ones.

Even the less spectacular songs in MMC were great, though. "Morning in Ponyville/Life in Equestria" tend to be pretty underrated IMO, and "I've Got to Find a Way" and "Celestia's Ballad" are both excellent too.

Gotchaye

MMC felt like a huge anticlimax to me. There's just not enough conflict in the plot - Twilight figures out how to deal with the problem within a few minutes and everything after that is denouement. It feels really strange for that problem to be the one that puts Twilight over the top, princess-wise, and it especially doesn't work in the context of season 3, where the series' device of Twilight learning about friendship has basically been abandoned insofar as Twilight doesn't actually seem to be learning anything new. IIRC, the only episodes in which the show even presents Twilight as learning something are Crystal Empire, where what she learns is that Celestia always lies, and Magic Duel, where she "learns" the same lesson she's learned like five times before. So in hindsight it ends up being really odd that Twilight didn't earn her wings after Crystal Empire or A Canterlot Wedding.

PaulloDEC

MMC felt like a huge anticlimax to me. There's just not enough conflict in the plot - Twilight figures out how to deal with the problem within a few minutes and everything after that is denouement. It feels really strange for that problem to be the one that puts Twilight over the top, princess-wise, and it especially doesn't work in the context of season 3, where the series' device of Twilight learning about friendship has basically been abandoned insofar as Twilight doesn't actually seem to be learning anything new. IIRC, the only episodes in which the show even presents Twilight as learning something are Crystal Empire, where what she learns is that Celestia always lies, and Magic Duel, where she "learns" the same lesson she's learned like five times before. So in hindsight it ends up being really odd that Twilight didn't earn her wings after Crystal Empire or A Canterlot Wedding.

I see what you're saying. It seemed like the challenge set for Twilight in MMC was supposed to be her "final test", but to get that across the story probably should've been spread over two episodes. As the story stands, they've only got 22 odd minutes to set the scene, pose the problem, solve the problem, promote Twilight and then wrap the whole thing up. It's hard to express the magnitude of the struggle Twilight faces in MMC when you're forced to have her solve it in less than the time it takes to boil an egg.

I didn't personally have any problem with the broader timing of it though. Celestia works in mysterious ways, and if the show tells me that she wasn't comfortable hitting Twi with her final exam until episode 13, I'm cool with that. I can understand some of the gripes about it, though.

I love this. It's like if Fluttershy worked in a fast-food joint or something.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Has anyone picked up #13 of the MLP comic yet? I've only just started on it, but it's shaping up great so far. Loving the artwork too.

I like the idea, though I'm a little disappointed in Fluttershy's sub-arc. I jsut don't see her being that clingy to an animal.

Cheerilee

Basically, 13 episodes (once a week for a season) is a valid syndication package. 26 episodes is a better package. 52 episodes (once a week for a year) is an even better package. 65 episodes (five days a week for a season) is the best package. Bonus episodes will always be gladly accepted, but people don't really want to pay anything extra for them.

Disney has a bad habit of letting shows run until 65 and then cutting them down, to maximize value.

The Hub (the Hasbro owned network which airs MLP) has been losing significant money since it was founded, but Hasbro says that they're okay with it, because it's working like advertisement and selling more toys than they did before. Also, Hasbro feels that The Hub is in a "growth" phase and that it will become more profitable once it gets a more established presence, and the only way to establish themselves is to keep making as many winning shows as possible.

MLP and Transformers Prime are/were the biggest successes on The Hub, but they're also among the most expensive shows to produce.

Hasbro executives decided to cut MLP and TFP's season 3 budgets clean in half, so that they could use that money to promote other projects, to increase the wider success of The Hub, and because they felt that MLP and TFP didn't "need" the extra money to stay successful at this point. Also, it makes a clean line at 65 episodes. That is always nice for executives to see.

But apparently Hasbro didn't make their intentions clear towards the producers or anyone involved in making the shows. They thought that Hasbro was going to cancel the shows without telling them. They thought Hasbro was going to coast the shows into 65 episodes, and then move these powerful/expensive shows off The Hub and into syndication, where they could be seen by a wider audience.

So the creative people in charge of MLP and TFP both decided to pack things up and get ready to go home. By the time Hasbro executives realized that their shows were ending, there was nothing they could do to stop it. MLP was able to continue after wrapping up their storylines, TFP was not.

PaulloDEC

Yeah, I would have gone for a Celestia one if I had known that everyone else would be Twilight too.

Oh well, I'll be back to normal after Saturday, if that makes you feel better.

Yeah, I think I'll be switching back too. I can't tell who the hell everyone is around here now.

LuffyZoro

Twiboom.png

McNum

I drew a thing again, for the first time on months.

Paging Dr. Forester, incoming sun-goddess-pony!
(Quoted for HUGE)

Link

There she is, Princess Celestia. Not really much of a story about this one. I drew a muffin, felt like drawing something bigger, then drew Princess Celestia with her wings spread out like that. Not terribly original, I'll admit, but it was fun drawing it anyway.

PaulloDEC

There she is, Princess Celestia. Not really much of a story about this one. I drew a muffin, felt like drawing something bigger, then drew Princess Celestia with her wings spread out like that. Not terribly original, I'll admit, but it was fun drawing it anyway.

Nicely done!

Oh, nice! I'm not an anime guy, but I quite enjoyed Little Witch Academia. I think I might actually have a few of his MLP drawings saved.

PaulloDEC

SWbzosd.jpg

Man, talk about villain decay.

Jury's out on the Discord thing for me. I thought Keep Calm and Flutter On was a mess of an episode, with the whole concept of trying to reform Discord being both A) super unlikely from a fictional point of view and B) super unsatisfying from a fan's point of view.

That being said, I like the way Ego is taking it in Slice of Life, which gives me hope that they can do something similar on the show. Having Discord "working from within the system" as it were might be fun.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Paging Dr. Forester, incoming sun-goddess-pony!
(Quoted for HUGE)

Link

Well done. She looks properly majestic.

PaulloDEC

One more episode and I'm caught up.

I didn't think season 3 was uneven like others thought. It's just a lesser quality but not significantly less.

My episode rankings for S3 go something like:

OK
OK
Good
Excellent
Excellent
Excellent
Good
Great
Poor
Awful
Great
OK
Excellent

...so "uneven" fits pretty well for me. People tend to be pretty down on S3, but I felt like overall the height of the highs overwhelmed the depth of the lows.

That being said, I think the shorter run throws the quality of each episode into sharper relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom