• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orcastar

So issue 17 of the official comic book series just came out yesterday:

lLLpHDu.jpg

And it is AMAZING. Seriously, you need to read it right now. It has everything that the TV show lacks: world-building, actual character development, Celestia, Luna
(yes I know she'll be in the next episode, shut up)
, an adventure story that works. This is the kind of My Little Pony that the first season of the show hinted at but we never got (and never will get) to see on screen.

This is just the first part of a four-part story and it's already the best issue in the series so far and miles better than anything that seasons 3 and 4 of the show have had to offer. Go. Buy. It.

novenD

Considering the only metric by which the changing of seasons can be judged in Equestria is whether or not the labor required for the seasons to be changed has been completed, Winter Wrap-Up is the last day of winter and the first day of spring, since the change over was completed in that day.

I haven't slept in 24 hours, sue me

PaulloDEC

And it is AMAZING. Seriously, you need to read it right now. It has everything that the TV show lacks: world-building, actual character development, Celestia, Luna
, an adventure story that works. This is the kind of My Little Pony that the first season of the show hinted at but we never got (and never will get) to see on screen.

This is just the first part of a four-part story and it's already the best issue in the series so far and miles better than anything that seasons 3 and 4 of the show have had to offer. Go. Buy. It.

Just finished reading it now. Liked it a lot, and they're sure not afraid of laying down some serious lore!
Celestia and Starswirl as adventure buddies? Multiple alternate dimensions? Celestia having solo trips that somehow involve Sombra?
Pretty crazy stuff for a comic about ponies.

Also, I loved the visual gag with
Fluttersaur. Or is it Dinoshy?

Considering the only metric by which the changing of seasons can be judged in Equestria is whether or not the labor required for the seasons to be changed has been completed, Winter Wrap-Up is the last day of winter and the first day of spring, since the change over was completed in that day.

I haven't slept in 24 hours, sue me

You make a compelling argument.

Seriously? Get some sleep, dude!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill

It was excellent, yes. I thoroughly recommend it. Lots of amazing humor, character development and world building.
Highlight for me was the part where Twilight realizes that she's probably being bred to have a similar job as Celestia, even though she never asked for it and she doesn't really want all that pressure on her. Poor filly gets scared and depressed over that prospect.

Pony pose challenge #8: Fluttershy

vA6Rb6x.png

PaulloDEC

It was excellent, yes. I thoroughly recommend it. Lots of amazing humor, character development and world building.
Highlight for me was the part where Twilight realizes that she's probably being bred to have a similar job as Celestia, even though she never asked for it and she doesn't really want all that pressure on her. Poor filly gets scared and depressed over that prospect.

I liked that a lot too.
The idea that Twilight had always seen herself as more the Starswirl than the Celestia seems obvious in retrospect, so big kudos to the writers for identifying that and bringing it to the fore.
That whole area is something I'd really love to see explored on the show someday.

And Myke, though I've not been commenting each time, I've really been enjoying the monochrome series you've been doing lately. The simplified style is great, and you've done some great poses and expressions.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
And Myke, though I've not been commenting each time, I've really been enjoying the monochrome series you've been doing lately. The simplified style is great, and you've done some great poses and expressions.
Thank you very much! This series has helped me gain confidence in my inking and hard shading (even though I'm still TOO DAMN SLOW), and I'm also using it to refine my pony formula. Your support means a lot to me.

Pony pose challenge #9: Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake

PzAfThY.png

Finally got the pony tales compilations. Who cares about the mane 6 tales~ Spike's was almost ok, celestia's was ok (great references tho), CMC had THE BEST ART, and Luna's was amazing and the best all around.

Might pick up the 3 story arc of the regular comic soon (8-12 i think?) and hopefully the 4th arc compilation comes out soon. Or I might get the individual comics when they become $2 instead of $4 on comixology, since the compilation feels like the same price as the individual comics put together (when priced at $2/ea)

PaulloDEC

The world has changed a lot in the last twenty years, and it's becoming blindingly obvious that the old copyright laws just don't cut it anymore. I wonder how many more dedicated fans will have to be punished before something's done about it.

Incidentally, all of Jan Animations videos seem to still be up, so get downloading while you still can folks.

EDIT: Crap, I spoke too soon. All pony materials are gone from his channels.

I am crushed by this news. I remember when I was first discovering this fandom I came across Picture Perfect Pony on YouTube. Having just finished watching season two, I actually thought it was a song from the show I had somehow forgotten about. It wasn't until the end of the video did I realize it was completely fan made. It was so professionally done that it blew my mind just how passionate the fans were of this series. Jan Animations was one of the key factors for me getting into the fandom and it saddens me that Hasbro can't just give permission to allow him to continue his work. At least the fans are re-posting his videos back onto You Tube. Sucks man, now I will never get to see the finished animation to that night club short.

Orcastar

From the Ask the Crusaders Tumblr, which is run by Jan:
It mainly means I can’t produce or upload pony related content on my youtube channel, but I can still work under commission for pony videos and projects. More informations will be explained soon enough in my next announcement video.
Sounds like we might still see some pony animations from him. No more Button Mash, though.

I hope they turn around and hire these guys as animators on the show.

This guy, not these. JanAnimations is just one guy.

Anyway, he mentioned on Tumblr some time ago that he applied to DHX, but I guess that didn't work out. The fact that he's Italian and DHX is based in Canada might have something to do with it.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
This is disappointing. I'm not a fan of copyright laws that require companies to play wac-a-mole to hold onto their IP.

Edit: Don't read the comments section in that Equestria Daily link. It isn't pretty.

PaulloDEC

This is disappointing. I'm not a fan of copyright laws that require companies to play wac-a-mole to hold onto their IP.

Edit: Don't read the comments section in that Equestria Daily link. It isn't pretty.

That really applies to the comments on EQD in general, nowadays. It's usually just a nightmarish mess of attention-seekers, angry people and slightly unhinged roleplayers.

McNum

So, I'm doing that challenge, too. Expect unlike Myke, I'm just going to post all 25 at the same time.

ponygaf_pose_challenge_by_mcnum-d7b7qzl.png

(Link)

The ponies and poses, starting from the top left corner and going row by row are:

1. Twilight Sparkle - Concentrating on magic
  2. Rainbow Dash - Diving in air
  3. Pinkie Pie - Spronking (Yes that's a real word)
  4. Rarity - Striking a pose
  5. Applejack - Rearing
  6. Fluttershy - Lying down, calm
  7. Celestia - Summer Sun Celebration!
  8. Luna - Gleeful hover
  9. Cadance - Covering eyes with wings
  10. Apple Bloom - Bucking
  11. Scootaloo - Scootering
  12. Sweetie Belle - Singing
  13. Big Macintosh - Galloping
  14. Cheerilee - Walking, Cheerful gait
  15. Shining Armor - Salute
  16. Trixie - Tripped
  17. Vinyl Scratch - Listening to music
  18. Octavia - Curtsy
  19. Lyra - Lying on back
  20. Bon Bon - Facehoof
  21. Zecora - Summoning Nightmare Moon
  22. Nightmare Moon - Flying horn blast, aiming right
  23. Fleur Dis Lee - Posing, playing with mane
  24. Derpy - Can see you!
  25. Belle Eve - Tired, smiling, looking back at the 24 other drawings
CHALLENGE COMPLETE!

Yay.

$200

Banned
Anyway, he mentioned on Tumblr some time ago that he applied to DHX, but I guess that didn't work out. The fact that he's Italian and DHX is based in Canada might have something to do with it.

How does C&D work if you're not in North America?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Battling Fandoms for control of IP is like trying to slay the hydra with a butter knife. By cutting off only the larger heads, they dissuade the others from becoming too big.

PaulloDEC

First Molestia, now Button. Ok, if Hasbro keep going i`m going out.

I doubt they'll stop. Jan Animations and Fighting is Magic had both become too similar in quality to an official product, probably to the point where Hasbro's legal types were concerned that the public might get the wrong idea.

It sucks, but I don't see any way around the shutdowns. The creatives might not agree with the C&Ds, but they won't be the ones calling the shots.

$200

Banned
I doubt they'll stop. Jan Animations and Fighting is Magic had both become too similar in quality to an official product, probably to the point where Hasbro's legal types were concerned that the public might get the wrong idea.

It sucks, but I don't see any way around the shutdowns. The creatives might not agree with the C&Ds, but they won't be the ones calling the shots.

I really thought the C&Ds don't work if you're outside of North America....I mean if I'm developing and releasing Fighting is Magic while living in China what is Hasbro going to do about it?

brian577

Banned
I really thought the C&Ds don't work if you're outside of North America....I mean if I'm developing and releasing Fighting is Magic while living in China what is Hasbro going to do about it?

This is not a U.S. exclusive law. International Copyright laws apply to any country who signed the agreement. Chinese courts tend to ignore requests for litigation though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom