• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
bronies are super annoying, who would have thought

it's impossible for me to sympathize with anyone associated with TGWTG though

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
A link to episodes on Youtube happened. Kind of a silly way to get banned, but it happens occasionally.

That's bannable? I recall some posters doing it before. From what I heard it seems to be pirating anime too?

McNum

That's bannable? I recall some posters doing it before. From what I heard it seems to be pirating anime too?
It is. Linking to an episode on Youtube or whatever video site you might find one on, with the exception of the official ones on iTunes and similar is technically piracy. Which gets you a grey name timeout.

Things got a bit lax earlier in the threads, which is why episode links got away with it.

So today and yesterday I managed to catch up on all the episodes I'd missed from Season 2.

17 - 26

Man, this show is soooo good.

Can't wait for S3.

016495bf-d2b0-452e-afc2-42e1ffc1bd84.jpg
Like: How can I be so adorable?

So, a comment recently made by Tara regarding Season 3 as having an episode that would blow the minds of us Bronies got me thinking (well I've been thinking about this for a while too) as this would be a great topic of discussion.

We got lots of little nods this season whether it was Derpy talking, or Lyra and Bon Bon being shown together, or Vinyl Scratch being shown in the finale with a definitive eye color.

What kind of little fan nods / fan service would you guys like to see in Season 3 (a character like Trixie returning, a popular BG pony getting a voice and/or more screentime, a Scootaloo episode, etc), and what kind of things would make you throw your arms up and say "I'm out, this show has clearly jumped the shark!"?

Things I'd love to see:

-More Octavia. Nothing huge, but a small speaking role while canonizing her name. I love love LOVE her voice in Epic Wub Time and would love to hear something like that in the show.

-Doctor Whooves getting a proper nod. It doesn't have to be major. Something like this where it's a really subtle and having him talk with a British accent would be great.

Things I really wouldn't want to see:

-Pinkie Pie being a zany 4th Wall breaking character like a lot of fan comics and fanart depict her. I wouldn't mind a wink to the camera or maybe just a sudden break (like Blossom's random continuity quip in an episode of PPG) But when it comes to fanart, it's really over the top. I find it funny, but I'd hate to see that become the norm for her in the show.

There's probably more, but I'm tired, and I really want to hear what you guys think.

Cheerilee

It is. Linking to an episode on Youtube or whatever video site you might find one on, with the exception of the official ones on iTunes and similar is technically piracy. Which gets you a grey name timeout.

Things got a bit lax earlier in the threads, which is why episode links got away with it.

The old rules were that any evidence of video game piracy meant a ban (although piracy witch hunts were also banned, because deliberately trying to get someone banned was bannable), not because piracy was bad, but as a concession to video game industry insiders on the forum. Non-gaming piracy seemed to be ignored because the forum didn't have any particular stance for/against general piracy.

The anti-piracy side often complained that this policy didn't go far enough and was a double standard, and the RIAA/MPAA started getting scary with going after "enablers", and for whatever other reasons Evilore seemed to extend the anti piracy policy to all forms of piracy.

Late last year he sort of warned PonyGAF that while it wasn't his job to play copyright police, he had some moral reservations about Youtube piracy. Although at this time, Hasbro wasn't taking down Youtube links, Pony-haters were, and Hasbro's ire was directed solely at the Pony-haters who were impersonating them, not the Youtube uploaders. So I felt there was no moral issue where MLP was concerned.

Since then, NeoGAF's anti-piracy stance seems to have solidified, and Hasbro started cracking down on Youtube, apparently as an obligation after they sold the North American DVD rights to Shout Factory, who still hasn't really done anything with them.

So I don't think PonyGAF was really "lax" about piracy and Youtube links, but the rules and morals shifted around a bit.

And just to throw it out there, I think Bronies are a prime example of a company benefiting from widespread piracy, assuming Hasbro can ever figure out how to cash in on Bronies.

What kind of little fan nods / fan service would you guys like to see in Season 3 (a character like Trixie returning, a popular BG pony getting a voice and/or more screentime, a Scootaloo episode, etc), and what kind of things would make you throw your arms up and say "I'm out, this show has clearly jumped the shark!"?
A Scootaloo episode isn't fanservice, it's a regular part of MLP that has been somewhat ignored because no particular writer has yet come up with a good idea for an episode, or at least not one that's better than whatever other idea they have in their head. I'm sure we'll get one sooner or later.

To your question, I'd be fine with an entire episode centered around Lyra and Bon Bon as lesbians (tastefully done, not "We're lesbians! for the sake of it), with Derpy and Octavia and DJ Pon3 (and yes, they can call her DJ Pon3) in supporting-cast roles. If the writers are inspired to do something that fits with the series, I say go nuts.

I think fanservice would cross the line as soon as it requires the audience to read any particular piece of fanfiction to truly "get it". I think the show shouldn't reference any one specific piece of fan-work. The only direct fan-interaction should maybe be a contest winner or something.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I want no major fan nods. Derpy in the background, DJ Pony, fine. But I don't want to be beat over the head with shout outs to the new fandom, and really hope they don't stoop to that.

Xzeon

Banned
so dont add random people you dont know. -_-

I dont know if it was a normal page or a fan page, you have to block individual people on a fan page. Its just something I have seen a lot with people complaining about rabid Bronies that are constantly jabbering on about ponies, but those Bronies are more than likely just socially ignorant and awkward in general.

bronies are super annoying, who would have thought

it's impossible for me to sympathize with anyone associated with TGWTG though

They have a lot of reviewers on that site, seems like a strange biasedness just cuz you dont like one person on there or something.

I want no major fan nods. Derpy in the background, DJ Pony, fine. But I don't want to be beat over the head with shout outs to the new fandom, and really hope they don't stoop to that.

I want a 20 year old male to become a main character on the show, this is my hopes for season 3.

http://xilefti.deviantart.com/gallery/35011264

Heres art.

Orcastar

So in case somebody missed it, a few days ago a website for Double Rainboom went up. What's Double Rainboom I hear you ask? It's a full-length fan episode of MLP:FiM written, directed, & produced by Flamingo1986 (Zachary Rich), the same guy who did Pinkie Pie in "Present Prank".

Check out the site here.

The episode is going to be released in six parts this fall. However, there's already an animated storyboard for the first part up on Youtube, which you can check here.

I'd say this is looking pretty damn promising. And to those worrying about the legality of all this, here's a little tidbit from the site's FAQ:

But won’t you get sued for using copyrighted characters?

No. Zachary Rich has received written permission from Hasbro’s legal department giving him permission to create this film.
That's pretty damn cool of Hasbro, wouldn't you agree?

So in case somebody missed it, a few days ago a website for Double Rainboom went up. What's Double Rainboom I hear you ask? It's a full-length fan episode of MLP:FiM written, directed, & produced by Flamingo1986 (Zachary Rich), the same guy who did Pinkie Pie in "Present Prank".

Check out the site here.

The episode is going to be released in six parts this fall. However, there's already an animated storyboard for the first part up on Youtube, which you can check here.

I'd say this is looking pretty damn promising. And to those worrying about the legality of all this, here's a little tidbit from the site's FAQ:

That's pretty damn cool of Hasbro, wouldn't you agree?

Well, that is interesting

The legality thing is worrying.

Yes, this product is legal, but the thing is, it SHOULD be. Just like all other fanworks.

The fact that Hasbro specifically gave him an OK is worrying because it implies they could do the opposite to any similar works that get too high quality that they don't approve of.

But other than that I'm very excited. If not for this specific one, then for the idea of fan animations of increasing length and quality. By adult male fans for adult male fans without the restrictions of being a kids show.

Studio B's last won't be the last FiM episode. Power to the community!

Cheerilee

And that's exactly the point of the sticker...?

Technically, I think no.

"Gender identity" is your personal sense of your own gender. Saying "Don't buy this pink scooter unless it matches your child's gender identity" says that you shouldn't buy it for your girl if she believes herself to be a boy, and/or that it's okay to buy it for your boy if he believes himself to be a girl.

What Xzeon suggested (and I agree) is that the pink is just a color and should have nothing to do with gender identity. This picture suggests the opposite, because it supports the idea that there is a gender identity that matches the color pink.

What they should say is that parents should be aware of the complex social ramifications of buying/not buying pink toys for girls/boys.

blamite

Technically, I think no.

"Gender identity" is your personal sense of your own gender. Saying "Don't buy this pink scooter unless it matches your child's gender identity" says that you shouldn't buy it for your girl if she believes herself to be a boy, and/or that it's okay to buy it for your boy if he believes himself to be a girl.

What Xzeon suggested (and I agree) is that the pink is just a color and should have nothing to do with gender identity. This picture suggests the opposite, because it supports the idea that there is a gender identity that matches the color pink.

What they should say is that parents should be aware of the complex social ramifications of buying/not buying pink toys for girls/boys.
I'm pretty sure the sticker is supposed to be ironic. It's definitely not originally from the scooter. From my perspective, it's something someone put on there to make a point, with the intention that you'd read it and think, "what, that's ridiculous. This pink toy has nothing to do with gender identity. I have learned an important lesson from this sticker."

The problem, I guess, is that it's not quite clear enough that it's not a "real" warning, which in turn makes me kind of depressed that it's believable that it's meant to be taken seriously.

Theonik

I think the reason it exists there is to try and avoid parents returning toys that they bought in the wrong colour.

Xzeon

Banned
I'm pretty sure the sticker is supposed to be ironic. It's definitely not originally from the scooter. From my perspective, it's something someone put on there to make a point, with the intention that you'd read it and think, "what, that's ridiculous. This pink toy has nothing to do with gender identity. I have learned an important lesson from this sticker."

The problem, I guess, is that it's not quite clear enough that it's not a "real" warning, which in turn makes me kind of depressed that it's believable that it's meant to be taken seriously.

I hope the sticker was just put on there by a troll and not Walmart.

Its believable that it could be real cuz I could see Walmart trying to be socially sensitive but it backfiring.

But where did the sticker come from? Maybe the troll made it.

Cheerilee

To be fair pink is originally a man's color.

Pink used to be the color of royalty because it was expensive.

Babies used to be dressed in functional unisex clothing that was designed around being easy to clean and maintain, but then the clothing industry realized that most people have 2.5 kids, so they could double their sales of baby clothes and reduce the impact of hand-me-downs by convincing parents that they needed to use baby clothing to make a public statement about their children's gender. Because the public really needs to know if your baby has a penis/vagina under that diaper.

The idiots in America who made this push decided that blue=women and red=men and babies=lightly colored (it's always light blue, and pink=light red), but France was using pink in women's fashions, so they eventually flipped the two colors (some stores sooner than others).

And then feminists demonized the color pink as a symbol of their oppression, and rejected it.

I like pink. It's a great color. My PSP is lilac.

akira28

I like pink. It's a great color. My PSP is lilac.

When I was 9 or 10 I wanted a Gary Turner bike, and as a reward for honor roll or something, my dad ordered one for me. The picture he showed me had grey handlebars and trimmings, etc. But when it arrived, it was lavender. I hated it so much at first, but he wasn't going to spend money on sending it back, so that was my bike. At first I got made fun of for it, but eventually I began to like it because it was still a pretty cool bike. Now lavender is one of my favorite colors. Once I stopped hanging out with pricks and bullies, it didn't matter to me because I liked it. The bike was pretty stylin, but kids aren't really going to be hip to that.

Hahah I still get dickish comments from certain friends for lavender or purple stuff, but screw em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom