• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

OMG Aero

Ookami-kun said:
I think the reason Twilight wasn't trolled by Discord was due to her element being neutral (i.e. Magic)
I think Discord was targeting Twilight, either as his plan from the start or as a side effect of corrupting the others.
Although Twilight's actual element is magic, I prefer to think of it as friendship (Twilight doesn't get the element of magic in episode 1 of season 1 until she realises that the other 5 are her friends, friendship is magic etc).
As McNum brought up earlier, by corrupting the other five characters Discord stops them from using their elements but also erodes Twilight's friendship with them and stops her from using her element. In fact, Applejack's vision (Granted it might be a complete fabrication by Discord, but to me he seems more likely to show the real future, probably way out of context, to influence someone or cause them to create the very future he showed them) might be the point where Twilight loses her element.

Watched the episode yesterday.

I'm not sure how to feel about it.

On one hand the episode was interesting, had a lot of great parts, and was in general really enjoyable.

But on the other hand some parts were just a pain. I felt that
the way Discord often convinced the ponies to turn on each other was often cheesy. "Oh no! The cloud empire is collapsing into ruins! I must save it!" "My friends laugh at me instead of with me!?". Umm yeah I'm sure that Rainbow Dash would have easily brought that as well as Pinky Pie. Oh that's right Discord has hypnosis. So he doesn't really have a skill of using his wit to make people turn against each other but more so he just waves his finger around (like Jafar and his staff).

I also hate how at the end of the episode they lose because Discord convinces Rainbow Dash to leave and use her wings. Doesn't that make that whole section of the episode with the maze kind of pointless then? I mean the whole thing was just a troll?

Other than that it was a good episode, but the writers have to lay off the cheese and come up with some better writing.

Jintor

This ain't Cowboy Bebop brah, it's still going to be children's television whatever way you slice it. It's just well-made and hilarious!

Jintor said:
This ain't Cowboy Bebop brah, it's still going to be children's television whatever way you slice it. It's just well-made and hilarious!

I know but the writing in this was just below the quality of the others I felt.

Flying_Phoenix said:
I also hate how at the end of the episode they lose because Discord convinces Rainbow Dash to leave and use her wings. Doesn't that make that whole section of the episode with the maze kind of pointless then? I mean the whole thing was just a troll?

I thought that's the point.

They could've had a 5 year old write Discord's lines and it still would've been great because of Q. He freakin' nails that character.

Jintor

Flying_Phoenix said:
I know but the writing in this was just below the quality of the others I felt.

It's really no worse than the S1 opening. That was cheesy as all-fuck and didn't change until the Dragon in the river.

Anyway, the stuff with Dash I think is going to be possibly resolved in some fashion or is going to play into something. This is a cliffhanger, after all. The rest of it is pretty standard villain mindgame territory.

Dash's big weakness is actually a bit of a tossup between Pride and Fear, while Pinky has always been slightly unhinged, and with a hint of magic to weird things out none of that whole sequence stuck out at me. Even Fluttershy's instant conversion was justified. A Trickster God gets away with a lot of things

In conclusion.

mlp_discord_hatersgonnahate.gif

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Confused101 said:
They could've had a 5 year old write Discord's lines and it still would've been great because of Q. He freakin' nails that character.

Well, not to diminish the character, but all the writer did was write lines for a role John de Lancie played for 15 years. Not like de Lancie has to broaden his horizons to get into character.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Flying_Phoenix said:
uh... other than doing that, how was discord supposed to win? having the ponies starve to death in the maze?

Pandaman said:
uh... other than doing that, how was discord supposed to win? having the ponies starve to death in the maze?

Have them all not work together. Wasn't that one of the rules of the maze in which once they all stop working together they lose?

DrForester said:
Well, not to diminish the character, but all the writer did was write lines for a role John de Lancie played for 15 years. Not like de Lancie has to broaden his horizons to get into character.
This is true but DAMN is he good at it. :p

2th

Banned
Jintor said:

i do love how this has already been made. God bless the internet.

Anyways, the episode was freaking awesome. Discord is a nearly omnipotent trickster and having John de Lancie voice him was the best decision they could have made. Cannot wait till this Saturday when we get to see the conclusion of this 2 parter.

FoxSpirit

Flying_Phoenix said:
Watched the episode yesterday.

I'm not sure how to feel about it.

On one hand the episode was interesting, had a lot of great parts, and was in general really enjoyable.

But on the other hand some parts were just a pain. I felt that
the way Discord often convinced the ponies to turn on each other was often cheesy. "Oh no! The cloud empire is collapsing into ruins! I must save it!" "My friends laugh at me instead of with me!?". Umm yeah I'm sure that Rainbow Dash would have easily brought that as well as Pinky Pie. Oh that's right Discord has hypnosis. So he doesn't really have a skill of using his wit to make people turn against each other but more so he just waves his finger around (like Jafar and his staff).

Other than that it was a good episode, but the writers have to lay off the cheese and come up with some better writing.
Uh, what? The only bad thing was the beginning until Discord showed up, from there it was pure gold.

And he didn't convince them to
turn on each other. Simply a bit of teasing beforehand, he simply used magic to do that. I loved how he became angry at Fluttershy and then simply, "turn". Oh yeah, and how Rarity struggled to resist. Rainbow Dash was simply hypnoticed to fly off and yeah, the whole maze was just a troll. Dicord already knew what would happen.

Discord simply is a master of trolling. What did you expect, fair game? :p

McNum

By the way, did any of you catch the sound Discord's umbrella makes right before the end?

*meow*

So random, yet very fitting.

brian577

Banned
New theory on why Pinkie didn't become Pinkamina. It's probably because this episode was written before the Cutie Mark Chronicles and Party of One. At the time Pinkamina didn't even exist yet.

duckroll

Finally caught the first episode. Not sure how I feel about it. It's kinda underwhelming, but not terrible.

- No new opening sequence/song? So cheap! >_<
- Staring the premiere with the CMCs? Terrible!
- Tons of exposition and retcon? Lolz.
- Chocolate rain? Mmmmmm.
- Trolling villain? Probably the best part.

Darte

duckroll said:
Finally caught the first episode. Not sure how I feel about it. It's kinda underwhelming, but not terrible.

Remixed opener starting from Episode 3 since the first 2 episodes technically count as season 1 (when they were finished originally)

Acerac

Banned
brian577 said:
New theory on why Pinkie didn't become Pinkamina. It's probably because this episode was written before the Cutie Mark Chronicles and Party of One. At the time Pinkamina didn't even exist yet.
Wasn't her hair was flat earlier in the episode when she was coated with the chocolate rain?

Hopefully pinkies flat hair equaling depression doesn't become written off the same way her powers did from Feeling Pinkie Keen. Unlike that episode Pinkamina is awesome.

Darte said:
NOooooo! There is a gap between next weeks episode and episode 3!

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/09/confirmed-gap-between-discord-and.html
IisSadPony_6142.jpg

The fuck is this?

I originally didn't expect the new season to start til October anyways, so I suppose it's not so horrible as long as we retain the same amount of episodes, but still...

Sciz

brian577 said:
A significant character design change like that shouldn't be used unless it's a major focal point, or it risks losing impact from overexposure.

Darte said:
NOooooo! There is a gap between next weeks episode and episode 3!

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/09/confirmed-gap-between-discord-and.html
IisSadPony_6142.jpg
fffffuuuuuuuuuuu

blamite

Acerac said:
Hopefully pinkies flat hair equaling depression doesn't become written off the same way her powers did from Feeling Pinkie Keen. Unlike that episode Pinkamina is awesome.
I'd just chalk it up to Pinkamina being actual depressed Pinkie, while the brainwashed version is different; more of a reversed version of everyday Pinkie. Subtle difference, but it's probably just due to the cause of the change.

Cheerilee

Acerac said:
Wasn't her hair was flat earlier in the episode when she was coated with the chocolate rain?

At the start of Best Night Ever, Pinkie stepped out of a hair dryer and her hair was flat (which she actually seemed pleased about), and then it unexpectedly re-poofed.

duckroll

Orcastar said:
Please explain, because I didn't notice this.

Well, It feels like MGS3 "retcons" to me, where they pull some random "ancient past" story out of their ass again which was never previously mentioned or hinted at, just to create new backstory and villains.

Uchip

Banned
duckroll said:
Well, It feels like MGS3 "retcons" to me, where they pull some random "ancient past" story out of their ass again which was never previously mentioned or hinted at, just to create new backstory and villains.

come on
this is my little pony
not anime!

hell apart from the first 2 episodes there WASNT any continuing plot
so its a bit strange to assume that you expected more

Negator

duckroll said:

Would you rather they have backstory from the old cartoons instead? Yeah, I didn't think so.

That's not a retcon at all, considering they didn't ruin any kind of established canon information.

I don't see how MGS3 retconned anything either. Care to juggle my memory? They simply expanded on past events.

shaowebb

Negator said:
I don't know, I think I could handle 20 minutes of Flutterbitch, making everyone cry

I literally began laughing WAY too hard out loud just now at nearly 5 am at the renaming of mean Fluttershy to Flutterbitch. I also cracked up when Discord couldn't use his double talk on her because she's too kind to care about that stuff.

airmangataosenai said:
I thought the Internet would just go with "Flutterjerk", shows what I know.
Jerks are just mean/ rude people.

Being a Bitch or a Dick involves enjoying the act of doing asshole things and starting shit with others. Fluttershy clearly enjoyed that tail whip attack and pushing over PP for no reason.

Would LOVE to see more FlutterBitch!
Too bad she will likely be gone for good after the next episode.

Orcastar

Wolf Akela said:
That's not a retcon at all, considering they didn't ruin any kind of established canon information.

I don't see how MGS3 retconned anything either. Care to juggle my memory? They simply expanded on past events.
I wouldn't call that a retcon either since they're just expanding the universe without contradicting previous information.

I think one of the reasons FiM has been so succesful with the geek crowd is that they seem to be building a more or less consistent fantasy world with its own mythology and mechanics. Obviously it's not as important to the series as as it would be for a more serious show and they do contradict previous information for laughs sometimes, but there's still a certain consistency to it. Not a very deep one, but it's still there and I hope they keep expanding the history and world of Equestria in the future without contradicting the important bits.

I think MGS3 did directly contradict the earlier installments, but I can't remember off the top of my head how exactly.
Something to do with Sigint being the DARPA chief?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
duckroll said:

Not animu, dude.
duckroll said:
- Tons of exposition and retcon? Lolz.
Wait what was retconned?
duckroll said:
But it doesn't directly contradict anything previously mentioned by the writers; it's just filling up blanks.
duckroll said:
No, I'll rather they just had 20 minutes of Fluttershy being Fluttershy instead!
Sounds like you wanna watch more K-ON!!.

Tizoc

The thing about Discord is that he may have been imprisoned long before Luna was imprisoned in the moon. Don't see how that contradicts anything.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, I don't really see any retcon in what this episode did. Sure it bashed a whole bunch of fannon, but if you just look at what we got in episode 1, it just expanded it.

I guess it's also a possibility that after Celestia and Luna defeated Discord, he left some taint of corruption on Luna which acted as a catalyst that turned her into Nightmare Moon.

I'd really like the fan story that said that Celestia's hair changed from pink to multicolor is because she was the one who used the Elements of Harmony. It could tie in with the theory that Luna was affected by Discord. The Elements may have made Celestia immune to corruption.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wolf Akela said:
I guess it's also a possibility that after Celestia and Luna defeated Discord, he left some taint of corruption on Luna which acted as a catalyst that turned her into Nightmare Moon.

I'd really like the fan story that said that Celestia's hair changed from pink to multicolor is because she was the one who used the Elements of Harmony. It could tie in with the theory that Luna was affected by Discord. The Elements may have made Celestia immune to corruption.

Well, we learned the elements are linked to one Pony at a time. I. Think it's more that the corruption broke Luna's link to them, alowing Celestia to use them all and become the master of the elements until she gave them up so Twilight and friends could use them to defeat NMM.

OMG Aero

Negator said:
Would you rather they have backstory from the old cartoons instead? Yeah, I didn't think so.
Yes I want the centaur guy from G1 that turns ponies into dragons so they pull his chariot to come back.
duckroll said:
No, I'll rather they just had 20 minutes of Fluttershy being Fluttershy instead!
I like the way you think...
Negator said:
I don't know, I think I could handle 20 minutes of Flutterbitch, making everyone cry
...but I think I like the way you think even more.

Top Bottom