• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

New Applejack is so great. I kinda hope the nega-ponies stick around. Maybe they can be banished with Discord and just show up occasionally to be dicks.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Captain Fish said:
Rarity didn't do anything either. Outside of looking like the most adorable Sherlock Holmes ever.

Actually she gave Twilight an umbrella, so I guess that helps.

Phew, being late to the party makes me sad ;_; Just saw the episode. I'm still reeling from the cliffhanger mostly thinking "NOOOOO NOT FLUTTERSHY! Discord, you bastard!" Even though it was hilarious that she frustrated Discord.

Yeah I noticed the lack of an ei logo too. Really hope this means less restrictions. After reading the Faust interview, no ei logo can only be a good thing for upcoming episodes.

And yes, his grand entrance with the stained glass was amazing. Also got the most "Q" vibe there. I was expecting him to say "Jean Luc" any second.

I think it's REALLY stupid that they just repeated the show directly afterwards. They SHOULD have made it a special 1 hour premiere. At least show a DIFFERENT one like the commercial said you would.

Yeah I'm still tense with anticipation. It's going to be a LOOOONG week.

Still enjoying the hell out of the mashups and fanart that have already been made.

EDIT: Oh almost forgot, I predict a Twilight song for EP2 to get friends together. Basis? David Ingram said in an interview a while back he was working on a Solo song for Twilight. I could really see it for this.

blamite

So about the E/I thing, can that be assigned per episode, or does it have to apply tot he entire show? Even if the show typically has to stick to those restrictions, It'd be nice if there could be occasional episodes like this one that can get some more freedom.

OMG Aero

Regulus Tera said:
Re-watching the episode, uh, why is Apple Bloom not even talking to Twist anymore?

What a bitch.
As soon as she got with the CMC, Apple Bloom started ignoring Twist.
As soon as she got her cutie mark, Twist became the loneliest pony. :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Upon rewatching I think I was too harsh on that episode. I still feel like the villain's actions are a cop-out, but the cast's interactions are very well portrayed. Plus there's tons of visual gags that are just candy for my eye.

It's a much better introductory episode than the pilot for the first season. It establishes the characters a lot quicker and goes straight into the action, although the infodump at the middle could be a bit more subtle.
OMG Aero said:
As soon as she got with the CMC, Apple Bloom started ignoring Twist.
As soon as she got her cutie mark, Twist became the loneliest pony. :(
Friends are the best thing ever until you get new friends. Then you can ditch the old ones.

blamite said:
So about the E/I thing, can that be assigned per episode, or does it have to apply tot he entire show? Even if the show typically has to stick to those restrictions, It'd be nice if there could be occasional episodes like this one that can get some more freedom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E/I

At regular intervals, each full-service station submits a list of programs that it either airs now or plans to air which it feels will inform, as well as entertain, viewers below age 18, and must occasionally announce on-air that this public file is available to the public at the station's studios, and/or on the station's website.

Yep seems like it's shows as a whole. My guess is Hub thought touting a show as ei could get more viewers, but now that they've got such a huge following (ie Bronies), they don't really need the ei hook anymore.

I swear, a good three hours later and I still feel "sore" from the cliffhanger. I can't remember a time I've felt this way...

Oh and I checked to be sure. This episode is in fact written by M.A. Larson, the same one who did Swarm of the Century. This definitely confirms that Larson must be a die-hard Trekkie.

Ji2GA.jpg

Boss Doggie

Speaking of which... is this the first episode that has the characters mention "my little ponies"?

Orcastar

Ookami-kun said:
Speaking of which... is this the first episode that has the characters mention "my little ponies"?
Twilight adressed the CMC as "my little ponies" at least twice during Show Stoppers.

Boss Doggie

Fall Weather Friends eh? I need to remember that.

Showstoppers is the episode I want to remove from my head.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ookami-kun said:
Fall Weather Friends eh? I need to remember that.

Showstoppers is the episode I want to remove from my head.

Just because it didn't have much of Rainbow Dash doesn't make it bad.

McNum

Hmm, browsing other places, I saw something interesting about what Discord might be up to.

Notice what he's doing, then notice what he's NOT doing. He corrupted Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. And that's bad. But he never even talked to Twilight inside the maze. Interesting since he called Twilight the most powerful of the elements. Wouldn't it be smart to focus on her instead? Take Twilight out of the game, and the Elements of Harmony are out of the picture, too. Letting Discord take over and make it rain chocolate forever.

But Discord isn't stupid, he IS targeting Twilight. He's not out to corrupt her, he's out to break her. The Elements of Harmony are fueled by Twilight's friendship with her friends, that's the spark that triggers them. But get all her friends to act unreasonably and cruel, to the point where he got Dash to abandon everypony, might be just the thing to break up the group of friends. Or at least make Twilight lose faith in them and try to go it alone, which will fail. Corrupting the other five ponies wasn't his goal, they are merely his puppets now. He's putting on a show... for Twilight.

It's going to be interesting how this one resolves. Discord is a much more clever villain than his chaotic nature would show.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rainbow Brag ruins everything again. How unsurprising. They should just ditch the bitch.

Acerac

Banned
I was just thinking about it and came to a realization, the reason why I love lying Applejack so much is because she does it for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Rarity believes she'll get a huge gem, hence the greed is at least somewhat justified. Pinkie doesn't want others to laugh at her, so she get confrontational over it. Fluttershy stands up for herself for more respect, and RBD is trying to save her home town.

Why does Applejack keep lying? What possible reason does she have? I understand that they're all being influenced by Discord, but I'm pretty sure this is why I love her absurd lying streak so much.

She really needs to stay like this the rest of the series.

EatChildren said:
Rainbow Brag ruins everything again. How unsurprising. They should just ditch the bitch.

Seemed like she ditched all of them.

OMG Aero

Acerac said:
I was just thinking about it and came to a realization, the reason why I love lying Applejack so much is because she does it for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Rarity believes she'll get a huge gem, hence the greed is at least somewhat justified. Pinkie doesn't want others to laugh at her, so she get confrontational over it. Fluttershy stands up for herself for more respect, and RBD is trying to save her home town.

Why does Applejack keep lying? What possible reason does she have? I understand that they're all being influenced by Discord, but I'm pretty sure this is why I love her absurd lying streak so much.

She really needs to stay like this the rest of the series.
She keeps lying because she thinks it's better than telling a hurtful truth.
She doesn't tell Twilight the vision Discord shows her because she doesn't want to believe it so she lies about it to her and herself, she says Pinkie seems normal to her after she gets corrupted probably because she doesn't want to worry Twilight and she lies about what she is laughing at when Fluttershy knocks Pinkie over because she doesn't want to hurt her feelings.

NEO0MJ

Acerac said:

My guess is that she thinks that by lying they can all stick together.

Edit: Beaten =(

Acerac

Banned
OMG Aero said:
She keeps lying because she thinks it's better than telling a hurtful truth.
She doesn't tell Twilight the vision Discord shows her because she doesn't want to believe it so she lies about it to her and herself, she says Pinkie seems normal to her after she gets corrupted probably because she doesn't want to worry Twilight and she lies about what she is laughing at when Fluttershy knocks Pinkie over because she doesn't want to hurt her feelings.
Fair enough. It seemed a bit nonsensical at the time, but I suppose I was thinking more about why she couldn't share about the apple golems and less about the visions themselves.

FoxSpirit

Well, just saw it, nice pisode. Started out not so great but the labyrinth was awesome.
Also, really fast work this time, already up in FullHD :-D

I've watched the episode a couple times over the past few days and I thought it was a really great episode. It may have been a bit hurried but I loved all the little psychological games and Discord's character is fantastic.

I found it funny that Rarity mentions that she doesn't want to get wet, yet she gives Twilight her umbrella. Granted, she was wearing full rain repellent gear but still.

Also, Discord must have some serious confidence since he
gave Twilight her horn back. He's got a pretty good idea of what she's capable of or at least thinks he does. Plus she's the only one not corrupted. Is he looking for a 1 on 1 battle of wits or something?
I guess we'll see.

I like the idea that Discord was the influence that created Nightmare Moon. It fits all too well.

brian577

Banned
Choppasmith said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E/I

Yep seems like it's shows as a whole. My guess is Hub thought touting a show as ei could get more viewers, but now that they've got such a huge following (ie Bronies), they don't really need the ei hook anymore.

I swear, a good three hours later and I still feel "sore" from the cliffhanger. I can't remember a time I've felt this way...

Oh and I checked to be sure. This episode is in fact written by M.A. Larson, the same one who did Swarm of the Century. This definitely confirms that Larson must be a die-hard Trekkie.

The article also said

"All children's television programming is subject to limits on the amount of television commercial. Stations can air no more than 12 minutes of ads each hour on weekdays and 10½ minutes an hour on weekends.

In addition, the FCC also has a very strict policy that an advertisement for a product tie-in for the program being aired is not allowed in any form, or else the entire program will be classified automatically as a violating half-hour program length commercial according to the FCC's definition, even if one second of a show's character is seen in an advertisement."

Me thinks Hasbro didn't like being unable to air MLP commercials during episodes.

Neki

EatChildren said:
you always have the best opinions.

discord is a way better villain than nightmare moon, luna can't do anything right, gosh.

Feep

Banned
Rainbow Dash was making the hard choice. Cloudsdale has thousands of residents; Dash is needed more at her hometown. She clearly trusts her friends (including TwiSpark, a genius-level magic user) to succeed even without her, and needed to rescue her friends and family back home.

Dash is still the most loyal pony.

Bakphoon

Feep said:
Rainbow Dash was making the hard choice. Cloudsdale has thousands of residents; Dash is needed more at her hometown. She clearly trusts her friends (including TwiSpark, a genius-level magic user) to succeed even without her, and needed to rescue her friends and family back home.

Dash was panicking, and she couldn't keep a clear head. Otherwise she would have known that even if Cloudsdale would be collapsing, only pegasus ponies live there. And Pegasus ponies can fly :p

Neki

what could Rainbow Dash have done that the other flying pegasi couldn't have done? CREATE A SONIC RAINBOOM TO SAVE THEM ALL?

OMG Aero

Confused101 said:
Also, Discord must have some serious confidence since he
gave Twilight her horn back. He's got a pretty good idea of what she's capable of or at least thinks he does. Plus she's the only one not corrupted. Is he looking for a 1 on 1 battle of wits or something?
I guess we'll see.
Discord seems to be immune to Twilight's magic or able to over power it (She couldn't dispel what was happening on the farm at the start), I think the only way Twilight can stop Discord magically is with the elements of harmony and he has already removed that option by corrupting their friendship.
Feep said:

But she let her loyalty blind her judgement. If Discord is actually able to destroy Cloudsdale then it makes more sense to stop Discord in the first place than rush off to help, otherwise he can hurt more ponies in the long run.

sinxtanx

Oh, I just realized that they explained why Celestia trapped her sister in the moon instead of just curing her of the nightmares.
She says that her AND Luna used the elements, so Celestia was not able to use all of the elements to defeat Nightmare Moon, and thus had to settle for imprisoning her. Wonder if we'll get to know which were her elements at some point.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
sinxtanx said:
Oh, I just realized that they explained why Celestia trapped her sister in the moon instead of just curing her of the nightmares.
She says that her AND Luna used the elements, so Celestia was not able to use all of the elements to defeat Nightmare Moon, and thus had to settle for imprisoning her. Wonder if we'll get to know which were her elements at some point.
i can tell you which one wasn't hers.

loyalty.

Neki

OMG Aero said:
Discord seems to be immune to Twilight's magic or able to over power it (She couldn't dispel what was happening on the farm at the start), I think the only way Twilight can stop Discord magically is with the elements of harmony and he has already removed that option by corrupting their friendship.

But she let her loyalty blind her judgement. If Discord is actually able to destroy Cloudsdale then it makes more sense to stop Discord in the first place than rush off to help, otherwise he can hurt more ponies in the long run.

rainbow dash isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
sinxtanx said:
All she said was her and Luna used the Elements to stop Discord. That doesn't mean she could not have harnessed them all herself to stop NMM when the time came. And as far as we know, that's exactly what she did based on the story in episode 1.

And I've argued this before, the reason she imprisoned NMM is because while the Elements could stop NMM, they had no power over Luna and Luna accepting forgiveness or not. That's why Celestia gave up the elements so Twilight and Co. could have them. If Celestia had just gone and beat NMM again, it probably would have made Luna more resentful.

Snaku

Banned
DrForester said:
All she said was her and Luna used the Elements to stop Discord. That doesn't mean she could not have harnessed them all herself to stop NMM when the time came. And as far as we know, that's exactly what she did based on the story in episode 1.

Maybe NMM still possessed her half of the Elements?

Orcastar

Let's not forget that at the start of episode 1, Twilight was reading the story behind Luna's banishment from a history book. (Or was it a book on old pony legends? I forget.) Who knows how accuratetly it depicted what really happened? And I'm not talking about Celestia being a tyrant and purposefully supressing the truth or anything like that, but simply pointing out that the whole story might not have been recorded in history books.

SRG01

Choppasmith said:
Phew, being late to the party makes me sad ;_; Just saw the episode. I'm still reeling from the cliffhanger mostly thinking "NOOOOO NOT FLUTTERSHY! Discord, you bastard!" Even though it was hilarious that she frustrated Discord.

Yeah I noticed the lack of an ei logo too. Really hope this means less restrictions. After reading the Faust interview, no ei logo can only be a good thing for upcoming episodes.

And yes, his grand entrance with the stained glass was amazing. Also got the most "Q" vibe there. I was expecting him to say "Jean Luc" any second.

I think it's REALLY stupid that they just repeated the show directly afterwards. They SHOULD have made it a special 1 hour premiere. At least show a DIFFERENT one like the commercial said you would.

Yeah I'm still tense with anticipation. It's going to be a LOOOONG week.

Still enjoying the hell out of the mashups and fanart that have already been made.

EDIT: Oh almost forgot, I predict a Twilight song for EP2 to get friends together. Basis? David Ingram said in an interview a while back he was working on a Solo song for Twilight. I could really see it for this.

They really should get Patrick Stewart in one of the episodes... :)

Top Bottom