• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

ecMES.jpg

Trollestia is bestlestia

Menmanelf said:
Finally got around to finishing first pony drawing, snout's off, legs are wrong, hair hasn't enough lines and the lines are too wobbly. Hopefully I'll improve with practice. This sort of thing is about as far as I'll go though I think, drawing anything more than funny/cute pictures gets a bit too weird for me. Anyway enjoy, (or not, as the case probably is).

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p220/Menelven/MLP stuff/twilightcleanfinished.png

It's a really nice drawing, much better than anything I could come up with.

I'm not sure if you've seen these, but they seem to be fairly decent proportion guides, with construction lines and everything. The second one is even more helpful as it seems to be a Lauren Faust original. Your drawing is pretty on model already, but I figured it might be interesting to see.

http://i.imgur.com/WMkai.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/p0G3k.jpg

Nishastra

Banned
Captain Fish said:
I'm not sure if you've seen these, but they seem to be fairly decent proportion guides, with construction lines and everything. The second one is even more helpful as it seems to be a Lauren Faust original. Your drawing is pretty on model already, but I figured it might be interesting to see.

http://i.imgur.com/WMkai.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/p0G3k.jpg
On that note, here's a number of other drawing guides:

Mostly front view
Lots of side view stuff
Hind legs, leg joints
More leg joints
Proportions

Nishastra said:

Nice stuff! I've added those to my collection.

I forgot, but there are also the great color guides at Kefkafloyd's DeviantArt Account. For best results he suggests downloading the pdfs and using eyedroppers.

I'm pretty sure those were linked in this thread too. It's pretty much the best resource for quality stuff. There's ponibooru* for volume, but it's hard to navigate, and some of the content is questionable (Re:NSFW). You guys manage to find all the best stuff. =D

Nishastra

Banned
I really like Rarity-colored Applejack. Hell, I like all the various Applejacks... I think I just really like that Applejack pose :p

Dai101 said:
Thanks man. Pony fandom is best fandom
You're welcome! I like being useful :p

I've done quite a bit of image editing today... I won't really be home at all tomorrow, but I'll start making more transparenty avatars of whatever catches my eye in the episodes on wednesday. I enjoy it a lot more than making animated avatars, really :p

Cheerilee

DrForester said:
Sure someone can make it for you. I still haven't figured out how to do transparencies yet...
AFAIK, there are tons of ways, but here's how I usually do it (self-taught with Photoshop).

Select the "pencil" tool with 100% opacity and 1 pixel thickness. Pick a harsh, solid color that doesn't appear anywhere in the pic, like 255 green.

Zoom in a lot and draw carefully around the outline of pony you want to keep. Erring slightly into the lines of the pony is good, because the lines are thick enough to handle it and it eliminates the bleed over from the background colors and makes them look clean.

Increase the pencil size a little and thicken your outline. Rinse and repeat until you've painted over everything you don't want.

Magic wand the solid color and "select inverse". Copy. Create a new file with the same dimensions as your pic and set the background to be transparent. Drag your magic wand shape from the old one to the new and paste the pony image.

Crop, resize, save as PNG.

If there's an easier way, I don't know it.

G-Fex

Nishastra said:
I don't want to post more pony images in the annoying avatars thread, but I feel the need to respond, so I'll just post it here :p

tPp01l.png

Think about it she's the perfect pony for him, she can find food anytime, an nearly endless supply of it.

flippeh

DrForester said:
Sure someone can make it for you. I still haven't figured out how to do transparencies yet...

ruby_onix said:
AFAIK, there are tons of ways, but here's how I usually do it (self-taught with Photoshop).

Select the "pencil" tool with 100% opacity and 1 pixel thickness. Pick a harsh, solid color that doesn't appear anywhere in the pic, like 255 green.

Zoom in a lot and draw carefully around the outline of pony you want to keep. Erring slightly into the lines of the pony is good, because the lines are thick enough to handle it and it eliminates the bleed over from the background colors and makes them look clean.

Increase the pencil size a little and thicken your outline. Rinse and repeat until you've painted over everything you don't want.

Magic wand the solid color and "select inverse". Copy. Create a new file with the same dimensions as your pic and set the background to be transparent. Drag your magic wand shape from the old one to the new and paste the pony image.

Crop, resize, save as PNG.

If there's an easier way, I don't know it.

If you have a little experience with Photoshop, making masks with the pen tool is the most efficient way that I know of. Here's a quick and dirty howto: http://photoshopearth.blogspot.com/2009/02/pen-tool-as-mask-selector.html

CassSept

Foxix, could I ask for help with making an avatar? I'd like to have one of those unused gif avatars edited, this one:
bkD86.gif

Specifically a frame when she is pointing her hoof at other ponies when she is shouting at these pegasi. Possibly with transparency?

Jintor

Nishastra said:
I don't want to post more pony images in the annoying avatars thread, but I feel the need to respond, so I'll just post it here :p

tPp01l.png

That pony anatomy is all kinds of wrong. I think her head is almost 180* twisted

G-Fex

TheHeretic said:
You people are out of your fucking minds.

I sure am, I'm selling all these Pony avatars AT HALF OFF, IM BEING COMMITED AS WE SPEAK!

Kinda on-topic, it was a sad sight but going to another city today, (kinda rural area) with ranches, I saw this man desperately trying to get his 3 horses which got loose and were running in the street, it was a sad sight cause he was doing it alone. I'm guessing the horses weren't broken in and cars were stopping and stuff cause they were just running everywhere.

flippeh

CassSept said:
Foxix, could I ask for help with making an avatar? I'd like to have one of those unused gif avatars edited, this one:
bkD86.gif

Specifically a frame when she is pointing her hoof at other ponies when she is shouting at these pegasi. Possibly with transparency?

I'm no foxix, but

fluttershy-opacity.png

Cheerilee

flippeh said:
If you have a little experience with Photoshop, making masks with the pen tool is the most efficient way that I know of. Here's a quick and dirty howto: http://photoshopearth.blogspot.com/2009/02/pen-tool-as-mask-selector.html
Thanks, that was a big help. I had toyed a little with the pen tool before, so that guide was easy for me to understand and very helpful. Made turning my avatar transparent much faster and more fun.

Firehead said:
Thanks for that. This is what I came up with... Does it look alright?
Looks great. I wouldn't have guessed that frame would work (it's why I suggested the more vertical-oriented one), but transparency really helps it.

Wow that was a quick slam of the door. "Animated avatars will soon be phased out"

*12 hours later*

POOF! gone...

*single tear for the handful of great and amazing pony avatars*

Time to move into the static age!

What do you guys think of Rainbow Dash with goofy face as my new static image? Should she be facing the other way? Should she be transparent? Could she possibly be MORE adorable?

Underwent a name change from Blue_Gecko to Hexadecimalt.

Imaginative reason: to sneak under the radar after my earlier outburst!

Real reason:
it's more in line with my other online identities.

There are a lot of people who do a 180 from their initial impressions of the new MLP. There should be a collection of all the people that have turned from initial speculation or even out right hatred into loyal fandom.
blame space said:
i dunno man i saw a thread about my little pony and apparently there are my little pony avatars.. frankly that's as far as i feel comfortable investigating it.
G-Fex said:
Either they're into something sinister or they're hipsters using it for irony...

Either way, we lose.
What changed your mind G-Fex?

Was it the power of friendship? Or was it magic?

Foxix Von

CassSept said:
bkD86.gif

Here's my attempt:
VHH7V.png

That honestly took a hell of a lot longer than I expected it would lol

EDIT: I may have tweaked the brightness/contrast too much. I can't tell. On my PC it's too dark and on my laptop it's nuclear radiation bright.

G-Fex

Hexadecimalt said:
There are a lot of people who do a 180 from their initial impressions of the new MLP. There should be a collection of all the people that have turned from initial speculation or even out right hatred into loyal fandom.
What changed your mind G-Fex?

Was it the power of friendship? Or was it magic?

Ah I was such a Diva back then, that's what I get for idolizing kaya.

Friendship, magic, which this thread gave me. Friendship unlike that turrible Creepy thread. Plus I really love the show and secretly I loved the avatars from the beginning.

Original idea was to troll you guys sort of but I changed my mind and picked a apple jack avvy.

rest is history.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hexadecimalt said:

I started out pretty skeptical. Watched a couple episodes, said it was respectable but not fantastic.

Then somehow (partially out of boredom I guess) I ended up watching the rest of the episodes. Then it became sort of a guilty pleasure. I think I'm still doing it partially for the lulz, though.

G-Fex said:
Ah I was such a Diva back then, that's what I get for idolizing kaya.

Friendship, magic, which this thread gave me. Friendship unlike that turrible Creepy thread. Plus I really love the show and secretly I loved the avatars from the beginning.

Original idea was to troll you guys sort of but I changed my mind and picked a apple jack avvy.

rest is history.
Totally called it.

IrishNinja

hey pony-GAF - ya'll were taking a lotta shit back there (a number of people blaming you guys for losing animated avatars and crap like that), just wanted to say i liked em, and it was hilarious seeing how many people found them unnerving/upsetting. ya'll did good on that.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
G-Fex said:
OAKT0.png

And we did. And this is the result.

Someone actually warned me against giving too much credit to your suspicious enthusiasm. I decided to trust anyway. I don't know that this decision showed through. But I don't regret it.

You are now the top poster in this thread. I pass the torch on to you. Not that I ever had it in anypony else's eyes.

IrishNinja said:
hey pony-GAF - ya'll were taking a lotta shit back there (a number of people blaming you guys for losing animated avatars and crap like that), just wanted to say i liked em, and it was hilarious seeing how many people found them unnerving/upsetting. ya'll did good on that.
People do get upset about the dumbest things, don't they? I really can't understand what could be so unnerving about a bunch of people wishing to bring a little more color and cuteness to a forum where people take their brown space marines all too seriously. At the end of the day, this is all I (and EviLore, apparently) can show them:
H6W6Ul.png

Thanks for the support. :)

Darte

Step 1: The hell is this pony crap?!

Step 2: Watch an episode...or three

Step 3: ????????

Step 4:
ponydrugs.gif

least thats how I got started heh

OMG Aero

tiff said:
Can't wait until transparent avatars get banned.
After getting transparent avatars banned, we move onto all image avatars.
None shall be spared in our quest to get features banned from GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom