• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

Thanks to both foxix and flippeh. Entering the new age of avatars with a pony av! Now I'll be about 20% more hated (and unknown) on this board!

Jintor said:
Doctor Who scribbles

I don't quite get that last one

@Myke What's that preview for. I mean I can tell it looks like a Karaoke project, but is it for certain software? Just curious.

And yeah that Mad Hatter fanart is awesome. It really looks official too.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Choppasmith said:
@Myke What's that preview for. I mean I can tell it looks like a Karaoke project, but is it for certain software? Just curious.

I think that's SingStar.

G-Fex

Mechanical Snowman said:
Well... nvm.

And yes a lot of that makes sense. Equating them to siblings is probably more accurate; Twilight is "in charge" of Spike but they tease each other quite a lot.

I hope we get a proper explanation of what Spike's role is to Twilight, at the moment I just assume that Celestia gave him to her as a communication link between them both. I also find it weird that she never acknowledges Spike when they see each other, most recently in the last episode. I don't think they've uttered one line to each other.

Not in person though!

But I did forget about that one.

Spike is underappreciated! Ungrateful ponies!

Foxix Von

Confused101 said:
JBBMK.jpg

Please tell me this comes in wallpaper size.

G-Fex

Mechanical Snowman said:
He gets to hang out with ponies all day. He should be the grateful one!

He does a lot for them :mad:.

Digging up tasty jewels, riding broncos and getting thrown off, co-commentary with the crazy pinkie pie.

Dai101

Banned
G-Fex said:
He does a lot for them :mad:.

Digging up tasty jewels, riding broncos and getting thrown off, co-commentary with the crazy pinkie pie.

Add bad burned muffins, and don't forget those "baking bads" AJ made

Neki

I don't know what is so hilarious/enjoyable about watching the ponies run/dash. Maybe because they're actually running like ponies, lol.

Also, looks like the amount of pinkie pie avatars has gone down too.

Dai101

Banned
Ultimoo said:
I don't know what is so hilarious/enjoyable about watching the ponies run/dash. Maybe because they're actually running like ponies, lol.

THIS.

I've always liked how well animated they are, the animators really show their work in this series. It's nothing like i've ever seen in a long time, specially in a FLASH Animated show

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Choppasmith said:
It's for Ultrastar, a free Singstar clone for Windows. There is also a multiplatform fork called Ultrastar Deluxe. Great stuff for karaoke fans. :)

I'm making a karaoke file for Winter Wrap Up for this software.

ZealousD said:
There's certainly a lot to their friendship, but I don't see any of these relationships applying to Spike and Twilight.

I don't see a child/mother relationship at all. Spike is far too willing to give his opinion ("That nest needs to be condemned!" "Just use your magic, Twilight!") and is just too frank with Twilight for him to see Twilight as a mother figure. And certainly I haven't seen anything motherly come from Twilight.

Pupil/teacher is a stretch. Twilight is a pupil of Princess Celestia, and I don't see Twilight teaching anything to Spike.

The servant stuff seems to be merely on a professional level. I think Spike sees him and Twilight as equals in a lot of ways. Remember in Diamond Dogs where he uses Twilight as his knightly steed? Would you ever ride your master?

I think an older sister / younger brother relationship is much more applicable.
Yeah, it seems like I'm really off the mark. I feel stupid now. :/

Koomaster

Uchip said:
what happened to all the necklaces and shit they all got in the pilot eps?
I sort of assume that they are called out of hammer space whenever needed. Like any magical girl anime, nobody knows where the stuff comes from and nobody knows where it goes after the battle is over.

shaowebb

Dai101 said:
THIS.

I've always liked how well animated they are, the animators really show their work in this series. It's nothing like i've ever seen in a long time, specially in a FLASH Animated show

Flash isn't what it used to be when Macromedia owned it Dai101. I'm an animation student using CS5 and since Adobe got ahold of it the program has become incredibly intuitive.
  • Boning tools automatically handle squash & stretch alongside springy bouncy physics just like a game engine would. It turns your drawn shapes into the equivalent of RIGS used in 3d animation.
  • 3D is possible in flash programmed graphics now and you can import 3d animations into it
  • It pipelines directly into imageready and converts all your vector shapes into symbols automatically for tweening
  • it now has improved lip synch pipelines so that after you edit your mouth symbol to include shape frames for each sound certain pipelines will time the lip changes to the sounds from your audio file without animators needing to do it by hand.
  • It utilizes alpha channels to allow for transparencies, gradients, and now has particle physics for fire to look realistic
  • Mirroring, reflection and refraction can be handled using CS5 flash program pipelines
  • and best of all it gives the finger to Apple and now can export any action script DIRECTLY into an app store proprietary format. How do you think Angry Birds was made?

I love Flash, and if it wasn't for it most american studios would still be outsourcing everything they wanted to try. It made animation cheap and powerful enough on low budget to bring animation back to American studios who had been outsourcing to Japan and Korea for years to save money. This is why a lot of new series seem tighter in story and writing now...less back and forth misunderstandings overseas.

Thank God for Adobe buying out Flash.

KtSlime

Foxix said:
I had just sort of assumed that Princess Celestia had confiscated them.

Koomaster said:
I sort of assume that they are called out of hammer space whenever needed. Like any magical girl anime, nobody knows where the stuff comes from and nobody knows where it goes after the battle is over.

Yeah, my thinking is that they only appear during the hensin transformation, and disappear after. But I kind of like Foxix' theory. Trollestia Celestia wouldn't want an uprising on her hooves. All part of her super plan, Luna was just a trick to get Twilight-tati to transform so that Celestia could get them, keeping Friendship and Magic in check and furthering Celestia rule for another 1000 years.

shaowebb said:
Flash isn't what it used to be when Macromedia owned it Dai101. I'm an animation student using CS5 and since Adobe got ahold of it the program has become incredibly intuitive.
Up until recently, Flash has usually been equated with "low budget", or at least an aesthetic that isn't associated with a budget. MLP is unique because it has a decent amount of money behind it, and doesn't shy away from the tweening aesthetic.

Seeing those outline walk cycles make me think it's possible the hair isn't done via boning and IK, which is a massive amount of work that looks fantastic.

Also in fairness, it may be worth noting that half of the episodes ARE outsourced to a giant animation studio in Malaysia, which is presumably why Winter Wrap Up looks better than Over a Barrel.

shaowebb

meltingparappa said:
Up until recently, Flash has usually been equated with "low budget", or at least an aesthetic that isn't associated with a budget. MLP is unique because it has a decent amount of money behind it, and doesn't shy away from the tweening aesthetic.

Seeing those outline walk cycles make me think it's possible the hair isn't done via boning and IK, which is a massive amount of work that looks fantastic.

Also in fairness, it may be worth noting that half of the episodes ARE outsourced to a giant animation studio in Malaysia, which is presumably why Winter Wrap Up looks better than Over a Barrel.

Hmm...interesting. Most of this could be done using boning if you made the shapes outlined in those images with the exception of the hoof tip...maybe. You may be able to turn that back hoof round and then pointed using the new squash/stretch from boning but it'd take a bit for me to test it out to see if I could get it to work.

I prefer boning for how fluid it makes your movements now that it has squash and stretch. Before things looked like damned IK marrionettes in CS4 and who likes watching that? The whole thing is very doable using shape tweens if you didn't use boning but that would actually make the process way lengthier than is necessary given the amount of shapes to tween on their body from that walk cycle.

Personally if it was my choice of using that many tween layers or just saying to hell with it and using straight ahead animation I'd use straight ahead and onion skin draw in all my frames. It doesn't take long and it's damned sure accurate to do. I'd be surprised if they weren't doing just that for a lot of these scenes, but the hair and tail bounces would be easier handled by boning them and parenting their shapes to the head and hindquarter symbols. This way you only need to tweak and animate the legs, face and maybe the body using tweens or Boning kinematics or inverse kinematics. It just comes out faster and just as good if you let the software handle your secondary actions like hair bouncies after tweaking the physics for it once rather than animating it every time by hand.

Anyway it goes it shows just how far things have come in flash. I named at least 3 different ways you could make this show all using flash and all of those ways are fast, and many can be cut and pasted into other scenes as animation paths that your ponies can have programmed into them so if you programmed an action for them once you wouldn't need to do it again unless it absolutely called for it. Walk cycles would be the first to go into that animation cut/paste folder.

God damn I love my field! I can't wait till Oct 12 2012 when I hit the industry!

*and with that he left to go fill out his scholarship renewal*

wsippel

Banned
I sit here, drunk as I am, and ask myself: Why do people like this show? Why do I like this show? And honestly, I believe this show mostly appeals to people of a certain age who have seen some really unpleasant shit in their lives. Am I wrong?

This is so nerdy and nobody probably cares, but...

I'm only guessing based on those walk cycles, but I imagine the way the episodes are animated roughly breaks down to this:

They probably have you typically have a library of existing symbols that they rarely change, such as heads with its own turnarounds, including individually nested mouth shape and eyes with their own libraries inside of them. Gestures are probably typically redrawn arm or leg shapes, sometimes body shapes or sometimes everything in its entirety, depending on the action.

For typical gestures on the show, you can see that a lot of motion tweens are applied to existing symbols (facial features moving around a fairly static view of a head), but the limbs are typically redrawn in their entirety (characters pointing or clopping or whatever).

Things like Twilight eating the flower pedals is obviously a lot of redraw instead of motion-tweening a library of mouth shapes, and you can tell it's also on a combination of 2's and possibly 3's.

There are some instances where a character will jump and their hair is redrawn and that is partly why it makes me think that maybe they're not going with IK for the hair (which would explain the many layers in the outline view) and just have them nested in some insane way that they are generally good about keeping track of.

Things like full body walk cycles (as opposed to instances where you can fudge it to save time because you don't see their legs) which are frequently reused have significantly greater care thrown into them. This makes perfect sense to do these using an utterly comeelx combination of shape and/or IK tweens, particularly since FIM isn't shying away from the aesthetic you get when keeping motion tweens on ones.

Note that IK/boning is different than motion tweening which is different than shape tweening. Depending on what you're doing, shape tweening is frequently never worth it, and if an effect is gnarly enough than it's probably better being done in AE during post.

Anyway, I'd give an arm and a leg to see an actual production flash file. The implications from those walk cycles is staggering, but I wonder how they handle a typical less-demanding scene.

Neki

they should just spend a whole episode running, I'd love it. I guess technically that was when AJ and RD were racing, but still! :D

shaowebb

meltingparappa said:
This is so nerdy and nobody probably cares, but...

I'm only guessing based on those walk cycles, but I imagine the way the episodes are animated roughly breaks down to this:

They probably have you typically have a library of existing symbols that they rarely change, such as heads with its own turnarounds, including individually nested mouth shape and eyes with their own libraries inside of them. Gestures are probably typically redrawn arm or leg shapes, sometimes body shapes or sometimes everything in its entirety, depending on the action.

For typical gestures on the show, you can see that a lot of motion tweens are applied to existing symbols (facial features moving around a fairly static view of a head), but the limbs are typically redrawn in their entirety (characters pointing or clopping or whatever).

Things like Twilight eating the flower pedals is obviously a lot of redraw instead of motion-tweening a library of mouth shapes, and you can tell it's also on a combination of 2's and possibly 3's.

There are some instances where a character will jump and their hair is redrawn and that is partly why it makes me think that maybe they're not going with IK for the hair (which would explain the many layers in the outline view) and just have them nested in some insane way that they are generally good about keeping track of.

Things like full body walk cycles (as opposed to instances where you can fudge it to save time because you don't see their legs) which are frequently reused have significantly greater care thrown into them. This makes perfect sense to do these using an utterly comeelx combination of shape and/or IK tweens, particularly since FIM isn't shying away from the aesthetic you get when keeping motion tweens on ones.

Note that IK/boning is different than motion tweening which is different than shape tweening. Depending on what you're doing, shape tweening is frequently never worth it, and if an effect is gnarly enough than it's probably better being done in AE during post.

Anyway, I'd give an arm and a leg to see an actual production flash file. The implications from those walk cycles is staggering, but I wonder how they handle a typical less-demanding scene.

Great observations. And yeah tweening is really not worth all the damned effort a lot of times. Sure it's great for a singular object, but if that object has any extra symbols or moving parts then screw it. Turn it into a damned object, bone it, and either animate it that way or go straight into onion skin and use straight ahead animation to draw in your other frames.

By the way it sounds like you're using flash. What version are you using right now and do you have anything online to view? It's always nice to run into another animator.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Confused101 said:
Personally, I like the little fillies. They're dumb but at least they're cute while being dumb.

Think my biggest problem is that they'll get old. By the nature of the character they created to make them they're always going to be doing stupid stuff to get their Cutie Mark. You really can't develop them as characters. Having them get it would remove an element Faust clearly wants in the show. They're the Wesley Crusher's of Ponyville.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
DrForester said:
Think my biggest problem is that they'll get old. By the nature of the character they created to make them they're always going to be doing stupid stuff to get their Cutie Mark. Having them get it would remove an element Faust clearly wants in the show. They're the Wesley Crusher's of Ponyville.

Nah, they can get their cutie marks at some point. I don't think those characters are eternally stuck to be the CMC. Apple Bloom played a pretty big role in Bridle Gossip and there was no mention of cutie marks there.

wsippel said:
I sit here, drunk as I am, and ask myself: Why do people like this show? Why do I like this show? And honestly, I believe this show mostly appeals to people of a certain age who have seen some really unpleasant shit in their lives. Am I wrong?
It's certainly one way to put it. It's a nice thing to be able to sit down for 22 minutes and watch something so innocent and fun. I've seen two people now say that the show's helped them, at least a bit, deal with depression.

Though some people are just furries, or whatever the pony equivalent of that is.

Chuck

Still without luck
So I just finished episodes 8, 9, and 10 yesterday. I really like the rivalry aspect of 8 with Applejack and Rarity. Any other ones I should look forward to like that one?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ChuckNoLuck said:
So I just finished episodes 8, 9, and 10 yesterday. I really like the rivalry aspect of 8 with Applejack and Rarity. Any other ones I should look forward to like that one?

If you like rivalry, Fall Weather Friends (episode 13) has a competition as the story.

Mechanical Snowman said:
Though some people are just furries, or whatever the pony equivalent of that is.
Hoofies?

On the CMC front, I think how they deal with them in the last CMC episode of the season will be telling. Narratively, the audience already knows the ending of their story arc: they'll receive singing/crafting/scooting cutie marks. The question is how long can they dance around that ending and still have it be entertaining (unless it's all a massive bait and switch). I already thought The Show Stoppers episode got a little farfetched, but it had a fun payoff.

All in all I think I would be pleased if they ended the arc sooner rather than later. Perhaps after one or two (or maybe all three) of the CMC get their marks and cause a falling out. Marks are covered up, discovered, friendships are broken and patched and they just decide to carry on regardless of it. Maybe do an episode about them overdoing their mark thing, and then just keep them around as younger members of the cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom