• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelfly

Well the changes finally went mandatory overnight :(

I expected it to be another couple of weeks until it was forced.

Well goodbye animated Rarity:

jrgQh.gif

and hello static Rarity:

gafava.jpg

Cheerilee

IrishNinja said:
hey pony-GAF - ya'll were taking a lotta shit back there (a number of people blaming you guys for losing animated avatars and crap like that), just wanted to say i liked em, and it was hilarious seeing how many people found them unnerving/upsetting. ya'll did good on that.
In appreciation of your kind words, I offer you this transparentized avatar.

VMu75.png

Yes, I was bored.

Koomaster

Testing new/older pony avatar. I guess there is no way to set up rotating avatars anymore with this new system? :|

Edit: doesn't seem to be working?

Koomaster

DrForester said:
All 6 ponies? I see it.
I had the 'show avatars' box unchecked. I don't know if that's new and that's the default, or if I unchecked that a long time ago when I was on dial-up, but it just never worked before.

Either way, ponies are showing up now! :)

Jintor said:
(doctor who ponies)
MY GOD, so much amazing in a single post. So many nerdy neckbeard jokes in the cutie marks.

So, photoshop is still open today. Anyone who wants a transparent pony and has a decent-res picture to go from, tell the herd and get 1-3 avatars in return.

Negator said:
I'm rewatching all the episodes, and I can't help but completely skip the CMC episodes. I hate them so much.
Apple Bloom does not approve.

Luckily for you CMC haters, this next episode looks to be the last to focus on them (for this season). However, we're going to get to see how the main cast got their cutie marks so hopefully that'll balance out the dislike of the CMC.

Personally, I like the little fillies. They're dumb but at least they're cute while being dumb.

karby

Negator said:
I'm rewatching all the episodes, and I can't help but completely skip the CMC episodes. I hate them so much.

In that case, you should probably skip pony-gaf this Friday...just saying.

edit: beaten.
At first I could barely stomach the CMC's either because I didn't like how their problems took away the spotlight from the main cast. But they're cute. I still think they should have their own show though.

Koomaster

Confused101 said:
Apple Bloom does not approve.

Luckily for you CMC haters, this next episode looks to be the last to focus on them (for this season). However, we're going to get to see how the main cast got their cutie marks so hopefully that'll balance out the dislike of the CMC.

Personally, I like the little fillies. They're dumb but at least they're cute while being dumb.
I am really excited about this episode; flashback to the main cast being younger. Can't wait!

Also changed my avatar again; hope no one has one similar to this, it's hard to keep track now that everyone changed. If so speak up, I've got several I made and can switch easily.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Confused101 said:
scootqloo and apple bloom have proven themselves viciously adorable. -.-

Pandaman said:
scootqloo and apple bloom have proven themselves viciously adorable. -.-
Agreed. I'm even starting to elevate Sweetie Belle a bit. Her struggles with the fabric and paint were awesomely bad. Plus she's got some pipes and everypony knows it.

Myke Greywolf said:
No one likes to be made obsolete, and that's probably what the owl will make Spike feel like.
And Rarity just uses him for manual labor. He goes along with it because he has a crush on her but she doesn't reciprocate his feelings.

This owl is probably going to be of a higher intellect than Spike too. So Twilight will expectedly enjoy conversation with the owl rather than her long time scaly companion.

Koomaster

Because Spike has no friends and everypony knows the more friendship you have the more magic you have. He's jealous of all the friendship! I'm calling it now, NightmareSpike, he'll be the show's next big villain.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, I actually sat down and finally watched an episode of the damn show and...hm...its not for me.
The writing quality just doesn't do it for me. Its hard for me to listen to, I don't like how its handled.

But the animation, man, the animation is almost worth it. Flash style or not, this is animation with some actual expression, and thats so incredibly refreshing.

Out of curiosity, which episode did you watch?
The general consensus seems to be that episode 3 ("The Ticket Master") is a pretty good introduction to the show, whereas I'd argue that episode 18 ("The Show Stoppers") is just plain unwatchable.

Firehead

The_Technomancer said:
Alright, I actually sat down and finally watched an episode of the damn show and...hm...its not for me.
The writing quality just doesn't do it for me. Its hard for me to listen to, I don't like how its handled.

But the animation, man, the animation is almost worth it. Flash style or not, this is animation with some actual expression, and thats so incredibly refreshing.
Which pony will you be adding next to Maromi?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Confused101 said:
And Rarity just uses him for manual labor. He goes along with it because he has a crush on her but she doesn't reciprocate his feelings.

This owl is probably going to be of a higher intellect than Spike too. So Twilight will expectedly enjoy conversation with the owl rather than her long time scaly companion.
He probably knows it too, deep inside: Rarity and him, never gonna happen. I expect him to have a stern conversation with whatever stallion she falls for, with a "you treat her right, or they're never gonna find your body" speech going on. And then he'll move on.

This episode actually could probably focus on the problems with having a relationship that is strong on several levels, in that a threat to one of those levels may be seen as a threat to all others. The relationship between Spike and Twilight goes on in several levels. They aren't just friends, they also have child/mother, pupil/teacher and servant/master relationships, and Spike seems to value all of that. He just wants to feel useful, and is afraid he'll lose his raison d'être if someone becomes more important to Twilight than him.

FTH said:
How could you hate Applebloom's cute lil accent?? She makes the CMC!
What about the way Sweetie Belle says it: "Kyoody Monk". Adorable.

mj1108

The_Technomancer said:

Which episode did you watch?

It seems to be the thing to do is to watch the first two for an introduction to the characters and then you can branch out from there. Also, the tone of the first two is not indicative of the rest of the episodes. They actually get better.

Darte said:
Step 1: The hell is this pony crap?!

Step 2: Watch an episode...or three

Step 3: ????????

Step 4:
ponydrugs.gif

least thats how I got started heh

This is how it seems to start for many.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Koomaster said:
Because Spike has no friends and everypony knows the more friendship you have the more magic you have. He's jealous of all the friendship! I'm calling it now, NightmareSpike, he'll be the show's next big villain.

Make that Future!Spike who has become evil because no one loved him anymore!!!

Anyway, I just realized animated avatars are gone for good, so I picked up one. Sadly it ain't pony stuff, but hey, more power to you guys.

G-Fex

FloppyDelux said:
4 kaya(?) gifs awesome.

Yeah Kaya and Izam (from Shazna) gifs. *sniff* I will truly miss them.

Koomaster said:

Good, Spike deserves the big spotlight. Time to show the ponies who's who.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Myke Greywolf said:
The relationship between Spike and Twilight goes on in several levels. They aren't just friends, they also have child/mother, pupil/teacher and servant/master relationships, and Spike seems to value all of that.

There's certainly a lot to their friendship, but I don't see any of these relationships applying to Spike and Twilight.

I don't see a child/mother relationship at all. Spike is far too willing to give his opinion ("That nest needs to be condemned!" "Just use your magic, Twilight!") and is just too frank with Twilight for him to see Twilight as a mother figure. And certainly I haven't seen anything motherly come from Twilight.

Pupil/teacher is a stretch. Twilight is a pupil of Princess Celestia, and I don't see Twilight teaching anything to Spike.

The servant stuff seems to be merely on a professional level. I think Spike sees him and Twilight as equals in a lot of ways. Remember in Diamond Dogs where he uses Twilight as his knightly steed? Would you ever ride your master?

I think an older sister / younger brother relationship is much more applicable.

G-Fex

ZealousD said:
There's certainly a lot to their friendship, but I don't see any of these relationships applying to Spike and Twilight.

I don't see a child/mother relationship at all. Spike is far too willing to give his opinion ("That nest needs to be condemned!" "Just use your magic, Twilight!") and is just too frank with Twilight for him to see Twilight as a mother figure. And certainly I haven't seen anything motherly come from Twilight.

Pupil/teacher is a stretch. Twilight is a pupil of Princess Celestia, and I don't see Twilight teaching anything to Spike.

The servant stuff seems to be merely on a professional level. I think Spike sees him and Twilight as equals in a lot of ways. Remember in Diamond Dogs where uses Twilight as his knightly steed? Would you ever ride your master?

Yeah pretty much nailed it. They're not in any other sort of relationship than friends and brother/sister type.

I wonder where Spike's parents are..

ZealousD said:
The servant stuff seems to be merely on a professional level. I think Spike sees him and Twilight as equals in a lot of ways. Remember in Diamond Dogs where uses Twilight as his knightly steed? Would you ever ride your master?

Well... nvm.

And yes a lot of that makes sense. Equating them to siblings is probably more accurate; Twilight is "in charge" of Spike but they tease each other quite a lot.

I hope we get a proper explanation of what Spike's role is to Twilight, at the moment I just assume that Celestia gave him to her as a communication link between them both. I also find it weird that she never acknowledges Spike when they see each other, most recently in the last episode. I don't think they've uttered one line to each other.

ZealousD said:
"And one for you, Spike!"
Not in person though!

But I did forget about that one.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I didn't know that Rarity had a dead boyfriend.
KuGsj.gif

Mechanical Snowman said:
I find it weird that she never acknowledges Spike when they see each other, most recently in the last episode. I don't think they've uttered one line to each other.

"And one for you, Spike!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom