• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck

Still without luck
DrForester said:
If you like rivalry, Fall Weather Friends (episode 13) has a competition as the story.
Okay. Also, any word on a Blu Ray release of the first season? I can only imagine how amazing the commentary with Lauren Faust could be. Maybe even better if she went the Fosters route and brought in the voice actors/actresses and had the ponies do the commentary.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Foxix said:
o_O? Is that bandbuff's alternate account or something? I didn't see it under the usual account.

Apparently that's the guy who really does them. Bandbuffs was hosing for him until then. Least that's what I get from the video description there.

Foxix Von

DrForester said:
Apparently that's the guy who really does them. Bandbuffs was hosing for him until then. Least that's what I get from the video description there.

Derp, yeah I just read it haha. I wonder if that's true though? Hmmmm.

Jintor

wsippel said:
I sit here, drunk as I am, and ask myself: Why do people like this show? Why do I like this show? And honestly, I believe this show mostly appeals to people of a certain age who have seen some really unpleasant shit in their lives. Am I wrong?

...well, you can't really contradict a 'mostly' statement with purely anecdotal evidence, but I'd consider myself pretty normal. I just happen to like things that are well-made.

wsippel said:
I sit here, drunk as I am, and ask myself: Why do people like this show? Why do I like this show? And honestly, I believe this show mostly appeals to people of a certain age who have seen some really unpleasant shit in their lives. Am I wrong?
I picture the end of Saving Private Ryan, and after Tom Hanks's older version walks home from the cemetery, he watches Pinkie Pie singing a burlesque song and his hands finally stop shaking.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
meltingparappa said:
I picture the end of Saving Private Ryan, and after Tom Hanks's older version walks home from the cemetery, he watches Pinkie Pie singing a burlesque song and his hands finally stop shaking.
Did you even watch the film?

ZealousD said:
Nah, they can get their cutie marks at some point. I don't think those characters are eternally stuck to be the CMC. Apple Bloom played a pretty big role in Bridle Gossip and there was no mention of cutie marks there.

This is what I'd like to see more of. The CMC's best moments are their interactions with the main cast. Stick Scootaloo and Sweetie Bell in episodes like AB was in Bridle Gossip, and they'd be just fine. They just can't carry an episode all by themselves.

akira28

Any objections to me borrowing this as an avatar for a while? If so, I could go back to Fook mouse.

Also, it's probably just me, but when I first read the Avatar changey business, and in the context I saw, new homesite hosting for avatars was announced, and animated gifs wouldn't be on the menu due to space/bandwidth considerations, which is understandable. But I didn't explicitly see them say external hosted animated avatars were forbidden until later. It only seemed like some Gaffer just assumed that was the case, and ran with it.

I'm probably wrong, but that's what I saw anyway. Anyway, moot point now I guess.

Koomaster

akira28 said:
Any objections to me borrowing this as an avatar for a while? If so, I could go back to Fook mouse.

Also, it's probably just me, but when I first read the Avatar changey business, and in the context I saw, new homesite hosting for avatars was announced, and animated gifs wouldn't be on the menu due to space/bandwidth considerations, which is understandable. But I didn't explicitly see them say external hosted animated avatars were forbidden until later. It only seemed like some Gaffer just assumed that was the case, and ran with it.

I'm probably wrong, but that's what I saw anyway. Anyway, moot point now I guess.
Not sure what you mean. You can't really link offsite I don't think. When you put in the address of the image, it just takes it from whatever site it was being hosted at and rehosts it at neogaf.

Nishastra

Banned
akira28 said:
But I didn't explicitly see them say external hosted animated avatars were forbidden until later. It only seemed like some Gaffer just assumed that was the case, and ran with it.

They weren't forbidden, but the announcement made it clear that external avatars were going away entirely, and indeed they already have :p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
le0LL.jpg

G-Fex

Hexadecimalt said:
chucklemt3.gif
@ comic

Wait...

MY LITTLE PONY FIGURES HAVE COME TO MCDONALDS HAPPY MEALS? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?!

I thought it was cool, it was really killing me they had Batman Brave and the Bold and Young Justice toys. :(

Uchip

Banned
wsippel said:

or people that love clever animation ie. me

mj1108

Darte said:
If i recall, it was quite some time ago. Ended already :<

Too bad. If only this thread was started earlier....we could have had hilarious stories of bronies trying to acquire MLP toys. :(

Chuck

Still without luck
So I'm on episode 14 and had to stop it at Rarity's second song. What is up with these songs?? I couldn't watch episode 11 because it started with a song and comments pointed to it being a musical episode and I think 2 of the last 3 had full songs. I just really dislike the songs because they feel like they're stuck in as filler plus, they're usually cheesy. When Pinkie does her dumb songs they're great because they really fit the character while these feel unnecessary. Someone please tell me no more episodes do this.

Negator

ChuckNoLuck said:
So I'm on episode 14 and had to stop it at Rarity's second song. What is up with these songs?? I couldn't watch episode 11 because it started with a song and comments pointed to it being a musical episode and I think 2 of the last 3 had full songs. I just really dislike the songs because they feel like they're stuck in as filler plus, they're usually cheesy. When Pinkie does her dumb songs they're great because they really fit the character while these feel unnecessary. Someone please tell me no more episodes do this.

Somepony bring the pitchfork. I'll bring the rope.

Chuck

Still without luck
Hexadecimalt said:
What is up with you not liking the songs???
They feel like they were either put in to fill up time up or some dude in a suit made the team put in songs because parents and their daughters wanted them or something. They're also not very good.

Jintor

ChuckNoLuck said:
They feel like they were either put in to fill up time up or some dude in a suit made the team put in songs because parents and their daughters wanted them or something. They're also not very good.

Oh no no no. You did not just diss a Sondheim song.

Honestly, the wordplay alone in Art of the Dress is astounding.

Soloist

Neo Member
ChuckNoLuck said:

To answer your question seriously
heathen
, I think there's only one more episode that has a full song but it's not filler.

jogarrr

ChuckNoLuck said:

I'm not sure if I'd consider any of the episodes to be 'musical episodes.' Several have musical numbers but in the worst case you could always skip ahead past the song. No need to completely skip episode 11 or 14.

But, I'm with the rest of pony-GAF: &#9834; Winter wrap up, winter wrap uuuppp! &#9834;

Chuck

Still without luck
Okay. Don't get me wrong, musicals can be very cool. The problem I have is that these songs are long and take too much time away from the amazing parts of this series. The characterization, plot, diologue, jokes, the self-awareness, they're consistently very very good.

Rarity has two songs that take up 4 minutes of episode 14. While that doesn't sound like a lot, it's almost 1/5 of the episode.

Maybe I was a little harsh. The songs are alright with some good lyrics, but they don't feel necessary at all. Full musical episode are fine and I'd probably like them, but go all the way or don't go at all.

KtSlime

ChuckNoLuck said:

It's okay if you don't like the songs, I guess, it simply means that the American Cultural Programming still works, and that musical acts are associated with a kids show and is therefor cheesy. Frankly I find that there is some excellent choice vocabulary and word play in these songs, and they have excellent scores, and accurately reflect the characters of each individual pony.

It's a shame that the US has made such a shift against the musical.

PS They also lead to awesome remixes and chip tunes - well worth the time they take away from the show. Have you listened to any of them?

*hums Winter Wrap Up*

ChuckNoLuck said:

I could understand the first two, and maybe complaining about Art of the Dress since it's directly based off a Broadway musical number. But that last bit is just wrong, sorry.

And as said above, it's made for some awesome remixes. I dunno, I find Winter Wrap Up to be one of the best and catchiest Disney-esque musical numbers of late. It's just such a feel good song.

Chuck

Still without luck
ivedoneyourmom said:
It's a shame that the US has made such a shift against the musical.
Singing in the Rain is one of my favorite movies.
PS They also lead to awesome remixes and chip tunes - well worth the time they take away from the show. Have you listened to any of them?

*hums Winter Wrap Up*
links?

Foxix Von

ivedoneyourmom said:
Hehe, it looks like 80's Cheerilee is grooving to DJ p0n-3's tunes.

I think it is safe to say, with such awesome music we all win.

My imagination has just become an amazing place.

Amibguous Cad said:
Yeah, that's a pony in her hair. According to the source it's Rarity.
It's sort of on the purple side though... is it supposed to be modeled after the current ponies or one of the earlier generations? Considering the color are we sure it's not Twilight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom