• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Myke Greywolf said:
I'd say so. Your (and others') mileage may vary.
I did kinda chuckle-on-the-inside at this line:

"You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer!"

coldvein said:
i see a future where you ponyboys are grown up grandparents talking to your grandkids and they say "grampaw, what did you like when you were young?" and your answer is "boy, when i was your age i watched my little pony. constantly. i had the dolls, too." kid "........"

now that sounds like quality entertainment.
He's trolling, you guys.

coldvein

Banned
Ultimoo said:
what is up with your condescending attitude? You can criticize someone without patronizing them, good god. people like things that you don't like, oh no, woe is me.

i am fully guilty of condescension towards you pony folks. that's honest. also honest is the fact that i don't really care about what you like..but i do think it's an interesting phenom. hence my presence in this thread.

coldvein said:
i see a future where you ponyboys are grown up grandparents talking to your grandkids and they say "grampaw, what did you like when you were young?" and your answer is "boy, when i was your age i watched my little pony. constantly. i had the dolls, too." kid "........"

The problem with MLP, as I've said before, is that it's got such a bad reputation as being the epitome of girlishly stupid crap from, mostly the 80s and into the 90s. That's it's hard to fathom a show that isn't like that and is actually good. If this show didn't have ANYTHING to do with MLP it wouldn't get nearly as much flak (though there wouldn't be the hilarious irony either)

I'm really hoping by the time I do have grandchildren that it might inspire future MLP shows to follow Lauren Faust's trend so that the MLP franchise ISN'T looked so down upon like that.

You sound incredibly cynical and strict in your tastes, so meh, whatever.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
coldvein said:
i am fully guilty of condescension towards you pony folks. that's honest. also honest is the fact that i don't really care about what you like..but i do think it's an interesting phenom. hence my presence in this thread.
Fucking pseud.

Neki

coldvein said:
2432jq9.gif

gotcha.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
coldvein said:
[meaningless waffling] when there's a tv show that i like, i like it for the following reasons... a, it's [meaningless waffling] i'm pissing in my pants funny. b, it has a story that is interesting, [meaningless waffling] imposing and demanding, something that makes my brain move. [meaningless waffling]
for a guy so short on time you sure do have alot of useless things to say.

coldvein

Banned
CHEEZMO™ said:
I'd be surprised if you have any friends anywhere.

You seem to be an insufferable tool.

fair enough. i wonder, is there a difference between insufferable and unsufferable? is unsufferable even a word? i like them because they both imply suffering.

G-Fex

Coldvein please tell me what to like. I'm pulling my hair out over here. Please GIVE ME DIRECTION SIR! I'm begging you! I won't even move an inch until you give the order! Please sir, COMMAND!

Neki

Negator said:
Cmon pony Gaf, stop taking the bait so easily. Princess Celestia would be ashamed.
we haven't had a troll in a while though, and he seems pretty set on his holier than thou attitude so.

3Fjrd.gif

KtSlime

coldvein said:
as a matter of decency, i will answer your question. obviously the term "quality entertainment" is subjective. you find my little pony to be quality entertainment, that's fine. you like what you like, i like what i like. as far as television goes, i find most of it to be pretty vapid and lame. when there's a tv show that i like, i like it for the following reasons... a, it's funny. not chuckle funny, but i'm pissing in my pants funny. b, it has a story that is interesting. not just interesting, but imposing and demanding, something that makes my brain move. it doesn't feel like a chore, it's just magnetic. it's exceptional. it's not "just nice", it's amazing. i don't like spongebob, i don't like most cartoons. time is running very quickly, and if i'm going to spend any of it in front of a television set it had better be really, really good. we like different things, we have different perspectives, and that's alright.

now that sounds like quality entertainment.

Eh, I'd consider myself fairly educated when it comes to culture, popular culture, humans, classical literature, language, and foreign thought, I've got about 70k in debt to prove it too. LOL.

The truth is, we don't know what the sticking power of our modern culture on the future is going to be, it's possible that MLP is a quirky little fad that is to be enjoyed at the time, or it could become incredibly pervasive, and have a resounding affect on future thought and art. Our notions of haut couture are very much colored by this affinity to our past accomplishments, or what are perceived as such. As I already said, much of classical literature amounts to dick and fart jokes, whimsical misunderstandings of the universe, and their own thoughts that they should strive to return back to a previous, golden age of thought and art.

It's cool if you don't care for it, however that has nothing to do what is or is not quality, such determinations are silly, some of our greatest works have been lost, disregarded because they were not accepted at the time, and crude lowbrow humor such as Shakespeare is considered amongst the pinnacle of theatre.

I wouldn't worry too much about what is and is not fine art, because it's out of your control, just enjoy your limited time on this Earth, try not to harm things, and don't get too attached to that which is ever changing.

coldvein

Banned
gather around me, children! i can't reply to you all at once, but i really really like each and every one of you. i find you to be likeable, well written, and non cynical.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
G-Fex said:
Coldvein please tell me what to like. I'm pulling my hair out over here. Please GIVE ME DIRECTION SIR! I'm begging you! I won't even move an inch until you give the order! Please sir, COMMAND!
Careful, you're turning me on.

coldvein

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:
Eh, I'd consider myself fairly educated when it comes to culture, popular culture, humans, classical literature, language, and foreign thought, I've got about 70k in debt to prove it too. LOL.

The truth is, we don't know what the sticking power of our modern culture on the future is going to be, it's possible that MLP is a quirky little fad that is to be enjoyed at the time, or it could become incredibly pervasive, and have a resounding affect on future thought and art. Our notions of haut couture are very much colored by this affinity to our past accomplishments, or what are perceived as such. As I already said, much of classical literature amounts to dick and fart jokes, whimsical misunderstandings of the universe, and their own thoughts that they should strive to return back to a previous, golden age of thought and art.

It's cool if you don't care for it, however that has nothing to do what is or is not quality, such determinations are silly, some of our greatest works have been lost, disregarded because they were not accepted at the time, and crude lowbrow humor such as Shakespeare is considered amongst the pinnacle of theatre.

I wouldn't worry too much about what is and is not fine art, because it's out of your control, just enjoy your limited time on this Earth, try not to harm things, and don't get too attached to that which is ever changing.

you have earned my respect. thanks for that post. everything you typed there is true. i honestly haven't even seen the show. just the avatars. i realize that the idea of "quality" is very open to interpretation..this is just a thing that puzzles me. again, thanks for a decent reply.

to the dude who said i'm making waffling statements...stop it, you're making me hungry. i'm about to go down to the value village and buy a waffle maker you son of a bitch.

daffy

Banned
ignore this cookie cutter, offbrand pepperidge farm, nabisco sponsored mofo

he's soft as moist and should be ignored

I personally say we keep taking the bait until he says something bannable but that's just me

G-Fex said:

Taking after your avatar?

Well, Coldvein is no Rarity, but I guess he'll do...

Too much trollin' not enough extollin'.

If you had to pick one episode to show a friend to get them into the series, which would it be?
  • Suited for Success
  • Ticket Master
  • Green Isn't Your Color
Serious question!

"hey look at me using big words an i cool yet? lol

just joking coldvein your alright in my book.

hey guys whens the next pony episode>

meltingparappa said:

If you had to pick one episode to show a friend to get them into the series, which would it be?
  • Suited for Success
  • Ticket Master
  • Green Isn't Your Color
Serious question!
Why limit to those three? But probs green isn't your colour, don;t wanna jump straight in to a musical episode.

G-Fex

coldvein said:
gather around me, children! i can't reply to you all at once, but i really really like each and every one of you. i find you to be likeable, well written, and non cynical.

There's one thing you can't put down. Children's card games. Frankly I wish it were the LAW. It'd settle disputes like this. You don't know anything about depth of cartoons like Yu-Gi-Oh and the such. It gives off a essence of victorian era politics, duels, and mid 70's capitalism. Then later it became a little preachy with it's ethics.

You wouldn't know such thing cause you're closed minded. I'll proudly tell someone else grandchildren(I won't have any) that I have silenced great tyrants by a battle of epic proportions, a childrens card game. Perhaps taking place in a shadow realm, or perhaps with high tech million dollar holograms. And I will raise my head proudly, knowing I truly am the king of games.

P.S. You've activated my trap card.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
G-Fex said:
There's one thing you can't put down. Children's card games. Frankly I wish it were the LAW. It'd settle disputes like this. You don't know anything about depth of cartoons like Yu-Gi-Oh and the such. It gives off a essence of victorian era politics, duels, and mid 70's capitalism. Then later it became a little preachy with it's ethics.

You wouldn't know such thing cause you're closed minded. I'll proudly tell someone else grandchildren(I won't have any) that I have silenced great tyrants by a battle of epic proportions, a childrens card game. Perhaps taking place in a shadow realm, or perhaps with high tech million dollar holograms. And I will raise my head proudly, knowing I truly am the king of games.

P.S. You've activated my trap card.
Don't start this shit again. What is it with you and card games?

Neki

meltingparappa said:

• Suited for Success
  • Ticket Master
  • Green Isn't Your Color
Serious question!

No Swarm of the Century shout out?

G-Fex

CHEEZMO™ said:
Don't start this shit again. What is it with you and card games?

You...don't like card games? That's impossible!

Popstar said:

I guess I need to explain to coldvein how boring hey dude was.

To quote Nostalgia critic about Hey dude

Hey guys do you remember when we used to stand around and talk about we used to stand around. YOu don't? Let me tell you about it, we used to just stand around and talk about how we used to stand around.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
meltingparappa said:

• Suited for Success
  • Ticket Master
  • Green Isn't Your Color
Serious question!
"Suited for Success" is not adequate, because not all people enjoy musicals.
"Ticket Master" is a little too formulaic, you won't blow any minds with that one.
"Green Isn't Your Color", with its emphasis in fashion, won't do you any favors in your quest to prove this isn't just girlie stuff, if the person in question can't see past the theme.

As I said before, I'd go with "Swarm of the Century", because the big pop culture reference is a good lure.

jogarrr

meltingparappa said:

• Suited for Success
  • Ticket Master
  • Green Isn't Your Color
Serious question!

Bridal Gossip!

People tend to find deep voice Fluttershy funny and it makes a good first impression.

mj1108

coldvein said:
you have earned my respect. thanks for that post. everything you typed there is true. i honestly haven't even seen the show. just the avatars. i realize that the idea of "quality" is very open to interpretation..this is just a thing that puzzles me. again, thanks for a decent reply.

to the dude who said i'm making waffling statements...stop it, you're making me hungry. i'm about to go down to the value village and buy a waffle maker you son of a bitch.

If I'm not mistaken, the last person who trolled this thread ended up with a pony avatar they couldn't change.

Just sayin'.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
coldvein said:
i'll take it along with a tag that reads "i got raped in the pony thread". apparently i don't have an avatar right now anyway...
This seems like a call for help.

OAKT0.png

Don't worry, we'll make it all better. There is still hope.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ZealousD said:
FiM has a few popculture jokes. Hell, one episode is almost a complete homage to a famous Star Trek episode. =P

There's plenty of them. Thing is they're subtle. It's not in-your-face jokes like you'd see in Simpsons or Family guy. It just happens, and if you get it you get it, and if you don, you don't know you missed something. Swarm of the Century is a good example. If you know it's based on Star Trek, it's funny, if you don't you still enjoy the episode, unaware that you missed something.

Myke Greywolf said:
Best episode EVER! (Not really, but it's up there with the best of them)

So many great moments:
- Fluttershy's cheering
- Rainbow Dash's panic attack
- Rarity's enthusiasm
- Pinkie's rainbow tasting

Forgot something.
rYvUm.jpg

coldvein

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
This seems like a call for help.

OAKT0.png

Don't worry, we'll make it all better. There is still hope.

you caught me, you bastard. TOLERATION AND LOVE are cool too. what you doing tonight?

daffy

Banned
coldvein said:
erased just in case i said something bannable.
nothing worse than a safe troll, it's time to unleash the kraken on our ponybutts

start with the fanfic pics and work your way to the nuggety pedo center

There had better be an episode Friday, no more breaks Hasbro plz

EDIT: Good, Cutie Mark episodes are awesome :D

New episodes every Friday until the end of season one.

The crusaders look for Twilight and the other ponies to learn how they got their cutie marks.

Spike grows jealous of Twilight's new friendship with an owl.

Pinkie Pie frets over the lack of response to her party invitation.

The ponies' expectations for the Grand Galloping Gala may be too high (trollestia officially canon)

Also I think I'll go with Swarm of the Century. Well animated and a high joke ratio, thanks guys. Now to make sure its playable on a ps3...

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
coldvein said:
you caught me, you bastard. TOLERATION AND LOVE are cool too. what you doing tonight?
Doing some timing to create a karaoke song, helping my wife with her craft-work, then going to bed early because I have a flu. What about you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom