• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nishastra

Banned
jogarrr said:
I think all owls are jerks and they're all creepy and evil. What other explanation is there for having the ability to turn your head around 180 degrees.

Edit: in fact Wikipedia says up to 270 degrees. Super Evil!
50% more evil!

jogarrr

Dai101 said:
Hope you already see this one before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY7_ZwgoeJM

Also awesome. Damn, I haven't seen Slappy Squirrel in like 15 years or so.

--

Also I still stand by what I said right after the episode aired. Surprised to see that in a show like this. Not bothered by it or anything.

jogarrr said:
I was surprised to see a 'field mouse' ripped apart and bloody, even if it was faked. Also, owls are creepy.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
ChuckNoLuck said:
Ok, so the Gala hasn't actually happened yet, they've just been leading up to it. I wonder what that episode is going to be like.

I don't the episode broadcast is supposed to be in chronological order. I thought it was weird how they aired Winter Wrap Up before the Fall of the Leaves episode.

An all right episode. Evil spike was the best. I swear it's fun watching the episodes just to guess what's going to be popular on the internet (in the form of macros and gifs)

NLTSO.png

also, speaking of gifs, I have the feeling this will become popular somehow.

YRjrW.gif

And speaking of popular MLP is the most popular Meme ever on KYM

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I just want to make it known ahead of time that
Dastardly Spike
is totally claimed as my next avatar. Just waiting for a 1080p upload so it'll look really good.

Neki

ZealousD said:
I just want to make it known ahead of time that
Dastardly Spike
is totally claimed as my next avatar. Just waiting for a 1080p upload so it'll look really good.
AVlff.gif

all yours.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Amibguous Cad said:
This ep was produced long before Scootabuse became the thing pony fans trolled with. I thought Scoot and RD's interaction was the highlight of the episode; hero worshiping Scootaloo is adorable.
Of course I know that, but I hate when, by coincidence, newly-introduced canon seems to support parts of fanon I don't like. (such as
Scootabuse
)

duckroll

I feel the last two episodes have been a bit weak. Really hope that after next week's crappy Pinkie Pie episode, the finale will deliver.

Neki

Any episode with lots of Twilight is a good episode in my eye. Even though this episode was a bit overbearing because of all the mushy love talk. ;)

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
I finally figured out why this My Little Pony craze seems so familiar. You guys remember a show called Lazy Town? This current obsession with My Little Pony is eerily similar to the obsession with Lazy Town a few years back. Funny how these things go in cycles.

zjqZ3.jpg

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
esquire said:
I finally figured out why this My Little Pony craze seems so familiar. You guys remember a show called Lazy Town? This current obsession with My Little Pony is eerily similar to the obsession with Lazy Town a few years back. Funny how these things go in cycles.

http://i.imgur.com/zjqZ3.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
nobody actually liked lazytown, its popularity stemmed from its absurdity.

esquire

Pandaman said:
nobody actually liked lazytown, its popularity stemmed from its absurdity.

Well you could make the same argument about MLP. You only "like" it now because it's internet popular.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
esquire said:
Lazy Town's "fandom" was totally ironic. MLP:FiM's is not (although it can start that way for some).
esquire said:
Well you could make the same argument about MLP. You only "like" it now because it's internet popular.
Maybe you could, I don't know, ask around to know if that is the case, instead of pigeonholing an entire fanbase with one baseless sentence?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
esquire said:
sure you could, you'd just be wrong.

seriously, you ever watch an episode of lazytown? there's a reason nothing ever came of it beyond pedobear shops.

Foxix Von

esquire said:

No.

Well I guess like panda said, technically you could but it would be an egregiously incorrect argument.

esquire

Myke Greywolf said:
Lazy Town's "fandom" was totally ironic. MLP:FiM's is not (although it can start that way for some).

Maybe you could, I don't know, ask around to know if that is the case?

What do you mean? The fact that other people like it makes it "okay" to like MLP. Don't need to ask anyone to know that to be the case whenever a show finds an uncommon or unintentional fan base (i.e. the way this thread started was the OP questioning his masculinity because he liked this show).

Pandaman said:
sure you could, you'd just be wrong.

seriously, you ever watch an episode of lazytown?

Well a year from now this show won't be as popular anymore and people will move onto something else. I've watched MLP and I don't think it's a good show but I can see why you guys like it *shrug.*

esquire said:
No we like it because the animation is great, the characters are charming and the writing is clever.

This shit's not rocket science.

esquire

googleplex said:
No w like it because te animation is great, the characters are charming and the writing is clever.

This shit's not rocket science.

Uh, yeah.

So anyway, I don't want to detract from your current obsession. It's just funny that you guys don't see through it but I guess I understand.

Foxix Von

Flying_Phoenix said:
This episode was probably the weakest in the series so far.

Really? I dunno, I thought it was sort average. Not terrible by any means, but I really enjoyed the direction and thought it had plenty charming moments. Plus it gave us dastardly spike.

Neki

esquire said:
What do you mean? The fact that other people like it makes it "okay" to like MLP. Don't need to ask anyone to know that to be the case whenever a show finds an uncommon or unintentional fan base (i.e. the way this thread started was the OP questioning his masculinity because he liked this show).
You seem to have trouble understanding that people can genuinely like things that you don't, as evidenced by your attempts to rationalize that MLP is some sort of ironic fad or meme. How is liking MLP an different from liking Doctor Who, Community, House or Pokemon? (guess what, it isn't)

esquire said:
Uh, yeah.

So anyway, I don't want to detract from your current obsession. It's just funny that you guys don't see through it but I guess I understand.

oh I'm so sorry, we're so blind to your amazing knowledge that we cannot see that we don't actually like MLP, we only like memes and being ironic.

esquire

Ultimoo said:
You seem to have trouble understanding that people can genuinely like things that you don't, as evidenced by your attempts to rationalize that MLP is some sort of ironic fad or meme. How is liking MLP an different from liking Doctor Who, Community, House or Pokemon? (guess what, it isn't)

I don't have any trouble understanding it at all. I'm pointing out is that the obsession over this show is similar to that of another show (Lazy Town). The question is, why does that bother you so much? I'm allowed to have an opinion even if you think it is a "wrong" opinion.

Ultimoo said:
oh I'm so sorry, we're so blind to your amazing knowledge that we cannot see that we don't actually like MLP, we only like memes and being ironic.

Clearly it's a hipster show for hipster nerds.

Neki

esquire said:
I don't have any trouble understanding it all. I'm pointing out is that the obsession over this show is similar to another show (Lazy Town). The question is, why does that bother you so much? I'm allowed to have an opinion even if you think it is a "wrong" opinion.
Because you come in here with a holier than thou attitude, claiming that we don't understand why we like something, which is funny, you're claiming to know me better than I know myself. People have given reason to why they like the show but you seem to dismiss them in the face of your theory of internet absurdity.

Foxix Von

esquire said:
Uh, yeah.

So what your suggesting is that I don't actually enjoy the show because I actually enjoy it, and that rather I'm somehow subconsciously only enjoying it for ironic/hipster reasons which are somehow manifesting themselves as an earnest fandom in my conscious mind.

If I'm anywhere near warm on this I think you may want to take a step back and realize it really isn't anywhere near that complicated. It's just a charming and well animated show. As someone who's an avid fan of animation in general I find it genuinely entertaining, for non-meme reasons.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
esquire said:
"Other people liking it" justs helps it reach critical mass and raise its awareness. People are more likely to give a chance to popular things, to know what its popularity is all about, but to argue that all the new fans are nothing more than bandwagon jumpers is ridiculous. People like what they like.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
esquire said:
Well a year from now this show won't be as popular anymore and people will move onto something else.
probably, but that's true for all forms of entertainment.

I've watched MLP and I don't think it's a good show but I can see why you guys like it *shrug.*
okay, fair enough.
now watch lazytown and see if you can see why guys would like it.

edit: it occurs to me that i cant really say 'probably' and then appeal to the outcome being universal.

esquire

Ultimoo said:
Because you come in here with a holier than thou attitude, claiming that we don't understand why we like something, which is funny, you're claiming to know me better than I know myself.

I'm not making any claims that are unsubstantiated by this thread itself.

You can come up with ancillary reasons to like something but you primarily like it because it's acceptable to admit to liking it. Why else would you need to come up with a name like "Bronies" to describe your solidarity. Surely girls like this show as well, do they not? Yet that name is specifically describing the male fans of this show...

You know, I don't really care about your little obsession, I just think it's funny that you get so defensive about it.

Myke Greywolf said:
"Other people liking it" justs helps it reach critical mass and raise its awareness. People are more likely to give a chance to popular things, to know what its popularity is all about, but to argue that all the new fans are nothing more than bandwagon jumpers is ridiculous. People like what they like.

I never used the word bandwagon once. Sorry if you don't "get it" but that's not what I'm saying at all.

Foxix Von

Pandaman said:
probably, but that's true for all forms of entertainment.

okay, fair enough.
now watch lazytown and see if you can see why guys would like it.

Basically yeah. Just because there's not currently a frothing fanbase on every forum about how amazing Citizen Kane, FLCL, Jet Grind Radio, (insert work of fiction/nonfiction/art/game here) doesn't equate a lack of quality on behalf of the work. It's just human nature to want whatever is newer and shinier, and besides we already know what's great and ten years out there's not really a whole hell of a lot left to say on a given subject since most of the discussion has already taken place, like we're doing now.

Neki

esquire said:
I'm not making any claims that are unsubstantiated by this thread itself.

You can come up with ancillary reasons to like something but you primarily like it because it's acceptable to admit to liking it. Why else would you need to come up with a name like "Bronies" to describe your solidarity. Surely girls like this show as well, do they not? Yet that name is specifically describing the male fans of this show...

You know, I don't really care about your little obsession, I just think it's funny that you get so defensive about it.

I never used the word bandwagon once. Sorry if you don't "get it" but that's not what I'm saying at all.

I didn't come up with the term bronies, nor do I advocate its use. I'm not sure why you think I need to make up reasons to like something...? If my main reason for liking a show is because it's acceptable, then you're describing every person who has ever liked a show or anything for that matter. So I'm not sure what you're trying to get at really, me liking MLP is the same as me liking any other show, yet you act surprised or claim that I have an obsession. I don't see you going into the Doctor Who thread or Community thread and making wild claims on how they only like the show because it's internet popular. If watching a television show is an obsession, I guess you got me.

Jintor

esquire said:

Urgh. Such a trollish sentence. Immediate insult and then 'oh hey you guys get so defensive about things'

Yes

Because they are attacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom