• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So who was it that was saying that Twilight and Spike had a possible Mother/Son kind of relationship? Myke I think?

That certainly wasn't apparent in earlier episodes, but it seems like the last two have changed that up quite a bit. That's a very complicated relationship they've got going there.

Neki

ZealousD said:
So who was it that was saying that Twilight and Spike had a possible Mother/Son kind of relationship? Myke I think?

That certainly wasn't apparent in earlier episodes, but it seems like the last two have changed that up quite a bit. That's a very complicated relationship they've got going there.

They have master/number one assistant relationship, obviously.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
karby said:
pfft. Those hermit types are so gauche. They can't represent all of dragonkind. Besides, Spike does pretty well in Ponyville. True he's still a baby and has been with Twilight since he hatched, but it's proof enough that dragons can work with/in a society. Besides, all of dragons that have shown up so far can speak! Who would they be speaking to and where did they learn to talk if all they had was themselves? There has to be a dragon society, somewhere out there!
You just know that Celestia is having Spike grown to later serve as some kind of underground agent within dragon society.

Clever girl.

Foxix said:
Huh... I just sort of realized that spike is sort of a slave isn't he?
He obeys his caretaker in exchange for food, a roof and education.

Where have I seen this kind of relationship again?

Foxix Von

Myke Greywolf said:
You just know that Celestia is having Spike grown to later serve as some kind of underground agent within dragon society.

Clever girl.

He obeys his caretaker in exchange for food, a roof and education.

Where have I seen this kind of relationship again?

I mean it's really sort of cruel isn't it? I doubt spike knows any other life. He's literally a servant and a test subject before he's even born. Even when he is born it's at the hands of his future master as decreed by the tyrant celestia. He's born only to a future of servitude...

Neki

Foxix said:
I mean it's really sort of cruel isn't it? I doubt spike knows any other life. He's literally a servant and a test subject before he's even born. Even when he is born it's at the hands of his future master as decreed by the tyrant celestia. He's born only to a future of servitude...
Spike isn't tied down by any obligations to stay though, he stays out of his love for Twilight. Spike wouldn't last long by himself, you see how tired he gets? HE'S JUST A BABY, HE NEEDS SOMETHING TO LOOK AFTER HIM.

Foxix Von

Ultimoo said:
Spike isn't tied down by any obligations to stay though, he stays out of his love for Twilight. Spike wouldn't last long by himself, you see how tired he gets? HE'S JUST A BABY, HE NEEDS SOMETHING TO LOOK AFTER HIM.

Isn't that by Celestia's design though? Clearly wild dragons exist and grew up freely. I think he's been bred to be dependent on pony society merely as a means of controlling him, he's domesticated. He's never had anyone else to love, not to say his love for Twilight isn't genuine it's just this is all he knows. He stays out of necessity for survival and because this is how his life was engineered to be.

Also it's possible that Twilight is in some way imprinted on him, she was basically the first thing he ever saw after hatching right?

duckroll

Well, clearly the only way to find out who is right, is to write Spike out of the show for an entire season. Spike leaves after the season finale to find a better life, and he is missing from all of season 2. In season 3 he can return and tell us if he actually appreciates pony society after all.

I for one welcome a Spike-less MLP!

Neki

duckroll said:
Well, clearly the only way to find out who is right, is to write Spike out of the show for an entire season. Spike leaves after the season finale to find a better life, and he is missing from all of season 2. In season 3 he can return and tell us if he actually appreciates pony society after all.

I for one welcome a Spike-less MLP!

Who will do all the meaningless chores / writing letters for Twilight though? :(

Isn't that by Celestia's design though? Clearly wild dragons exist and grew up freely. I think he's been bred to be dependent on pony society merely as a means of controlling him, he's domesticated. He's never had anyone else to love, not to say his love for Twilight isn't genuine it's just this is all he knows. He stays out of necessity for survival and because this is how his life was engineered to be.

Also it's possible that Twilight is in some way imprinted on him, she was basically the first thing he ever saw after hatching right?

And out of the two wild dragons we've already seen, they don't seem well adjusted to socialization or friendship, I wouldn't wish that on Spike. :O

Foxix Von

Ultimoo said:
Who will do all the meaningless chores / writing letters for Twilight though? :(
iuZwm.png

Ultimoo said:
And out of the two wild dragons we've already seen, they don't seem well adjusted to socialization or friendship, I wouldn't wish that on Spike. :O

The dragon in episode two seemed pretty well adjusted.

Foxix said:
He's literally a servant and a test subject before he's even born. Even when he is born it's at the hands of his future master as decreed by the tyrant celestia. He's born only to a future of servitude...
Not really, I bet he could leave if he really wanted. It's probably a mutually beneficial relationship.

If he was actually legally obliged to stay with her then he wouldn't have just run away from home like in the last episode.

Foxix Von

Mechanical Snowman said:
Not really, I bet he could leave if he really wanted. It's probably a mutually beneficial relationship.

If he was actually legally obliged to stay with her then he wouldn't have just run away from home like in the last episode.

I don't think there even needs to be a legal obligation. Besides if he was actually being legally obligated to fulfill that particular role it would detract from Celestia's image as well as make Spike quite aware that he's being used. That'd bad for Celestia and make Spike more aware of his actual situation as a slave making him more likely to rebel.

/conspiracytheory

OMG Aero

Is using ketchup as fake blood really such a big deal?
Logically it is something that a kid of Spike's mental age would come up with.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Myke Greywolf said:
That was a sea (river?) serpent!

Here is what I think took place after Twilight's examination (click for larger view):

Yeah, Portal 2 has me imagining Celestia putting Twilight through a series of tests and eventually incinerating the Weighted Companion Dragon....

karby

OMG Aero said:
Is using ketchup as fake blood really such a big deal?
Logically it is something that a kid of Spike's mental age would come up with.

It's not so much the ketchup(or the process), but the scene itself. Without context of the situation, it does look a bit out of place, even when considering what we normally see in the episodes.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
shout out to the Hub for the marathon this morning!

I didn't get a chance to see those episodes before today (sans Friday's ep)

G-Fex

John Dunbar said:
this is too disturbing for a kid's show:

delfnt.png

Oh puh-lease. I don't think there's any kid who has pets who hasn't seen their little kitty mutilate a mouse.

I like to watch my cat when he has a rat, he chews on it like he was a fucking zombie.

Negator said:
That comic above makes me wonder if you think Pinkie cries herself to sleep every night wishing she were a pegasus pony.

No she obviously loves using balloons and crazy contraptions.

Poor derpy, that's her muffin.

NEO0MJ

G-Fex said:
No she obviously loves using balloons and crazy contraptions.

She dosen't even need those. Her pinkie powers are all she needs. I mean the ability to seemingly teleport anywhere at will, even appearing in the mirror dimension.

vlcsnap-2011-04-25-00h28m11s148.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom