• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
G-Fex said:
How about this one?

Princess Celestia is just comprised of five other ponies from the past.

Celestia isn't a person she's a entity that is called forth every hundred years or so to raise and control the sun and be princess. Though she needs to be fused from five ponies which all contain the vital functions that make the elements of harmony possible. Once fused they will never return to their individual pony forms ever again until this Celestia being fades away with time, then Twilight and friends will all fuse together in one final hour of need and will stay that way as the next Princess Celestia for the next generation.
But the main cast and the elements have six ponies, not five. I guess you could do away with Applejack or Pinkie Pie or Rainbow Dash, all three suck so losing one of them wouldn't hurt anything.

789shadow

Banned
G-Fex said:
How about this one?

Princess Celestia is just comprised of five other ponies from the past.

Celestia isn't a person she's a entity that is called forth every hundred years or so to raise and control the sun and be princess. Though she needs to be fused from five ponies which all contain the vital functions that make the elements of harmony possible. Once fused they will never return to their individual pony forms ever again until this Celestia being fades away with time, then Twilight and friends will all fuse together in one final hour of need and will stay that way as the next Princess Celestia for the next generation.
My Little Pony is not that damn deep. :p

Neki

Hopefully Luna secretly seals away Trollestia and becomes princess of both the sun and moon. What a better world we would live in.

G-Fex

That would be if Luna was actually real rather than the darkest part of Celestia's consciousness made flesh.

I love messing around
:p

jogarrr

Scoot is obviously destined to become a garbage pony. Just look at how happy she is :)

K8qzxm.png

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Ultimoo said:
No, most people find us weird because we enjoy a show about ponies, not the discussions we have. I really doubt there is anyone who actively follows the thread and dislikes us for our discussion of weird stuff rather than disliking our like for ponies. If there is, speak up, otherwise, continue along!
I keep checking in because I'm always fascinated by things I don't "get" and I pride myself in at least understanding why most people like things I don't like and appreciating their point of view.
Based on the discussions I see here, people just like it in either an ironic hipster way or a creepy furry way. Haven't decided what the split is though...
There is definitely a weird sexualization that has happened in some of the pics posted and stuff.

EDIt: sometimes with shows and stuff there is a point you have to hit before it hits its stride. With buffy its mid-season 2. You can also point people at "hush" or "the body"and even a big snob will probably realize there is more going on.
With Pushing dasies it was episode 3 or 4.
Community between episodes 2 - 7.
With Lost its CLEARLY "Walkabout"
With Breaking Bad, its the pilot.

I watched the pilot and was sooo damn bored, but was also accused of not watching enough. I want to like things. I want to like everything. Perhaps I just havent seen the right ponu stuff? Whats the episode to see?
I'm fair. Is there a consensus?
Is it like BB and kills it from the get-go? Is it like the other shows and takes a while to find its (wait for it...) hooves?

As I said before, I'm not so macho and douchey that I would hate something based on the fact that its for little girls if it also happens to be great.

G-Fex

Staccat0 said:
I keep checking in because I'm always fascinated by things I don't "get" and I pride myself in at least understanding why most people like things I don't like and appreciating their point of view.
Based on the discussions I see here, people just like it in either an ironic hipster way or a creepy furry way. Haven't decided what the split is though...
There is definitely a weird sexualization that has happened in some of the pics posted and stuff.

You're wrong sir, they like it in a completely legitimate way, none of us are furries...well except for that one guy.

See sexualization isn't so much to do with MLP in general but just the art style, animuuu girls with jean shorts and etc, but are "supposed" to be the MLP girls. Animuu girls can pretty much be swapped out in any genre, it's just what comes naturally with every show, I mean every single thing has been perverted believe it or not. Plus you have your definition of furry wrong cause none of us have posted "furry" pics which are anthropamorphic versions of the little ponies or so forth. Course I could easily call you a furry for liking The Lion King or Bugs Bunny cartoons. See how generalizations work?

I love cosplay girls in general so the girls I posted with the outfits are cute none the less and I always had a thing for girls in colored wigs, it's not so much the My little Pony part of them I love, it's the girls themselves and how cute they are. The fact they're fans of the show is just a cute bonus.

Plus none of us are hipsters I don't think cause I don't wear skinny jeans.

jogarrr

Staccat0 said:
I watched the pilot and was sooo damn bored, but was also accused of not watching enough. I want to like things. I ant to like everything. Perhaps I just havent seen the right stuff? Whats the episode to see?
I'm fair. Is there a consensus??

Honestly, while it's true that the first two episodes don't really represent the entire series well, if you really hated them there is probably nothing in the series that will change your mind.

As far as 'the' episode to see, there really isn't a single episode that is considered the best. My fave is ep5 'Griffon the Brush Off' but that's probably not the best single 'intoduction to MLP' episode.

Edit: Yeah the post below has better eps listed for someone trying to see why MLP is enjoyable.

The sexualization you are speaking of is mostly incorrect. The cosplay girls are attractive to some of pony-GAF (at least one of the girls anyways) but I highly doubt the reason they're found to be attractive is because they are dressed up as ponies. The other thing was a joke (I think..).

Staccat0 said:

EDIt: sometimes with shows and stuff there is a point you have to hit before it hits its stride. With buffy its mid-season 2. You can also point people at "hush" or "the body"and even a big snob will probably realize there is more going on.
With Pushing dasies it was episode 3 or 4.
Community between episodes 2 - 7.
With Lost its CLEARLY "Walkabout"
With Breaking Bad, its the pilot.

I watched the pilot and was sooo damn bored, but was also accused of not watching enough. I want to like things. I want to like everything. Perhaps I just havent seen the right ponu stuff? Whats the episode to see?
I'm fair. Is there a consensus?
Is it like BB and kills it from the get-go? Is it like the other shows and takes a while to find its (wait for it...) hooves?

As I said before, I'm not so macho and douchey that I would hate something based on the fact that its for little girls if it also happens to be great.

Bridle Gossip is the closest thing to a consensus, I think.

But really, the pilots are above average episodes. Most people have poor memories of them because they started with them, and the show takes awhile to grow on you. So much of the humor and charm comes from characterization that you just can't get in a single episode. I'd say finish off the pilots, watch The Ticket Master and then Bridle Gossip. If you're not hooked by then it's not for you.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Amibguous Cad said:

But really, the pilots are above average episodes. Most people have poor memories of them because they started with them, and the show takes awhile to grow on you. So much of the humor and charm comes from characterization that you just can't get in a single episode. I'd say finish off the pilots, watch The Ticket Master and then Bridle Gossip. If you're not hooked by then it's not for you.
Thanks, I'll try those out sometime soon I promise. Even if I don't like it, I'm sure the appeal will become more clear.
I totally get what you mean by comedy that is developed through continued characterization. Thats what Arrested development was. Each episode was better than the last for almost two seasons straight because the more you knew the characters and the world the more the jokes registered. Thats why so many people re-watch it.

G-Fex said:
See sexualization isn't so much to do with MLP in general but just the art style, animuuu girls with jean shorts and etc, but are "supposed" to be the MLP girls. Animuu girls can pretty much be swapped out in any genre, it's just what comes naturally with every show, I mean every single thing has been perverted believe it or not. Plus you have your definition of furry wrong cause none of us have posted "furry" pics which are anthropamorphic versions of the little ponies or so forth. Course I could easily call you a furry for liking The Lion King or Bugs Bunny cartoons. See how generalizations work?
1. You may think that through again.

BTW, I'm not referring to the girls dressed as the ponies exclusively. Some of the other pics posted seemed innocent, but mildly suggestive in its undertones and are often met with, "That colooks kinda' wrong" so I'm not the only one who sees it.
That said, maybe I'm just looking for a subtext that isn't there... cuz you know people sexualize everything on the internet and adults interest in cartoons often gets pervy fast for some weird reason.
Dont let it bother you.

plus none of us are hipsters I don't think cause I don't wear skinny jeans.
2. Any hipster wearing skinny jeans is two trends behind in my parts ;)
That said, I'm not a part of gaf that is anti-hipster. Or against liking things because they make you feel "cool" or even liking things ironically.
I've made plenty of money off hipsters. No hate for them here. Usually the nicest sub-set of young people you'll work with. They are just geeks that not only obsess over pop-culture art-forms but also fashion, music, food and other broader lifestyle things.

Fo' realzies though, its beside the point. I'm trying to get my feelings across by using shared language as a touch stone. I'm not working from a definition of furry or hipster. Its more shorthand for "person who likes something, because the idea of liking that thing is more amusing, different or interesting than the thing itself is taken alone." or "guy who jerks off to sonic the hedgehog"

Anyway, who cares. I'll watch a bit more. I'm sure there is something to it.

G-Fex

jogarrr said:
Obviously, no one can escape the grasp of ponies.

FlSx9.jpg

I can't I really love you guys. <3

Well don't force yourself to watch something you know you won't enjoy, which is why I quit anime.

Well played Staccat0, can I interest you in a childrens card game duel sometime?

akira28

Staccat0 said:

There's more to it than irony and furry pron. Some of us are just absolutely enthralled by the cuteness and innocence and honesty of the whole thing. I'd watch it with my daughters if I had any, I'd even watch with my sons, had I any. It's just quality and it makes you feel good, not waiting for the boom or ulterior motive. They aren't selling a brand, the toys aren't the focus, like it was back when Transformers/MLP was supposed to be the killer combo. This time, they're putting their hearts into their art, simply making a great animated story, and it shows. It's candy, a guilty pleasure, and instant smiles taken at face value. (And it seems custom made for the aware animation/pop culture consumer.) There are some who get into the faddiness or the memetic wave, and the more the merrier, but I think that's just the gateway drug, and that lots of people will still be fans even after the cool kids on the internet have moved on to something else.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
G-Fex said:
I can't I really love you guys. <3

Well don't force yourself to watch something you know you won't enjoy, which is why I quit anime.

Well played Staccat0, can I interest you in a childrens card game duel sometime?
Even if I don't like something I enjoy learning about things other people like. Anyway, I do a bit o' sound for films... I spend lots of time watching things I HATE over and over. Tends to make you a little analytical about things you cant enjoy on an emotional level

plus I'm a masochist.

Foxix Von

Amibguous Cad said:

I'd second this, Ticket Master isn't the greatest episode ever but it shows off all of the ponies in one episode which'll aid in characterization, that and it'll introduce the Gala. Bridle Gossip is just awesome though. I'd definitely give it two more episodes if you're at least mildly interested but it's all gravy if ya don't dig it.

Neki

I just like the show in general. Nothing about being cool or hipster, I just honestly enjoy it. It's very light-hearted and there's no complex plot intricacies or stories I need to worry about, just some ponies doing some ridiculous stuff.

Now when I watched Band of Brothers, I had to rewind a couple of times because a) I didn't understand what they were talking about b) lots of crap was going on and c) the biggest downfall I had was I couldn't remember or recognize any of the characters besides Winters. Sometimes it's just nice to relax with a show you don't need to think hard about. :p Just like action movies, but with ponies!

Staccat0 said:
Thanks, I'll try those out sometime soon I promise. Even if I don't like it, I'm sure the appeal will become more clear.
I totally get what you mean by comedy that is developed through continued characterization. Thats what Arrested development was. Each episode was better than the last for almost two seasons straight because the more you knew the characters and the world the more the jokes registered. Thats why so many people re-watch it.

1. You may think that through again.

BTW, I'm not referring to the girls dressed as the ponies exclusively. Some of the other pics posted seemed innocent, but mildly suggestive in its undertones and are often met with, "That colooks kinda' wrong" so I'm not the only one who sees it.
That said, maybe I'm just looking for a subtext that isn't there... cuz you know people sexualize everything on the internet and adults interest in cartoons often gets pervy fast for some weird reason.
Dont let it bother you.

2. Any hipster wearing skinny jeans is two trends behind in my parts ;)
That said, I'm not a part of gaf that is anti-hipster. Or against liking things because they make you feel "cool" or even liking things ironically.
I've made plenty of money off hipsters. No hate for them here. Usually the nicest sub-set of young people you'll work with. They are just geeks that not only obsess over pop-culture art-forms but also fashion, music, food and other broader lifestyle things.

Fo' realzies though, its beside the point. I'm trying to get my feelings across by using shared language as a touch stone. I'm not working from a definition of furry or hipster. Its more shorthand for "person who likes something, because the idea of liking that thing is more amusing, different or interesting than the thing itself is taken alone." or "guy who jerks off to sonic the hedgehog"

I've said it before, but I do think part of this new fanbase does stem from the whole idea that a My Little Pony series being good is so shocking to people makes it all the more enticing to get behind and that if this were some Anime completely disconnected from the toy line, there'd certainly be a fanbase not unlike Haruhi or Lucky Star and maybe still be an OT here on GAF, but I don't think there'd be so many "OMFG! WATS WITH THE PONIES?"

I'm not trying to say it's not generally good. It is. While we've made some comparisons, calling this series "Pony Azumanga Daioh", I'd say it's probably the freshest and most enjoyable "innocent" Gender and Age neutral series since the classic Winnie the Pooh shorts from Disney. It's just the whole mindset of people that you're not allowed to like My Little Pony because of it being the epitome of girly girlishness is doing nothing but adding fuel to the fire.

I like to think of it like this:

Stereotypical Nerd. Lanky, scrawny, thick glasses, the works, hooks up with hot supermodel. They find true love and are going to get married. Of course they're going to get a ton of stares and people who are in disbelief. "The supermodel is obviously marrying him for money." The couple knows this, they don't really care because they really love each other, but just to tease some people, they flaunt their relationship ("Isn't my man the SEXIEST man around?") I feel like that's what the whole MLP fanbase is like. Of course they're going to joke how manly they are for watching the series, despite knowing how unusual it is, but it's a good series, so why should they care?

akira28 said:
There's more to it than irony and furry pron. Some of us are just absolutely enthralled by the cuteness and innocence and honesty of the whole thing. I'd watch it with my daughters if I had any, I'd even watch with my sons, had I any. It's just quality and it makes you feel good, not waiting for the boom or ulterior motive. They aren't selling a brand, the toys aren't the focus, like it was back when Transformers/MLP was supposed to be the killer combo. This time, they're putting their hearts into their art, simply making a great animated story, and it shows. It's candy, a guilty pleasure, and instant smiles taken at face value. (And it seems custom made for the aware animation/pop culture consumer.) There are some who get into the faddiness or the memetic wave, and the more the merrier, but I think that's just the gateway drug, and that lots of people will still be fans even after the cool kids on the internet have moved on to something else.

I think you summed it up even better. It's going to be interesting to see what becomes of MLP after this series ends. Clearly Lauren Faust and her team have really raised the bar very similar to how Bruce Timm did with with BTAS. I'd gladly give a new series a shot if they could continue what Lauren started.

akira28 said:
Wow, it's like an answer to all the meme tagging and Pony hate. A recap of some really ridiculous stuff that went by without anyone trying to put it in check. I guess the Klingons represent the fans? The song is pretty hype.

I'm not sure. Definitely starts slow, but his remixes of other remixes making them flow together seamlessly is just amazing. Also, density of memes. I mean, in the first ten seconds we have a reference to Dover Boys (apparently made its way into pony fandom because it's what the streaming channels would watch between episodes; it's where the phrase "confound these X, they drive me to Y" comes from), and to the Pound Puppies outtro.

Amibguous Cad said:
I'm not sure. Definitely starts slow, but his remixes of other remixes making them flow together seamlessly is just amazing. Also, density of memes. I mean, in the first ten seconds we have a reference to Dover Boys (apparently made its way into pony fandom because it's what the streaming channels would watch between episodes; it's where the phrase "confound these X, they drive me to Y" comes from), and to the Pound Puppies outtro.

Nah, long before the Pony craze he apparently built up a rapport with Klingon fans, and he made various YTP and remixes using footage from some kind of 1st Person Interactive PC Novel involving Klingons. Like MasterlinkX he got a lot of hate on his page for his sudden interest in MLP. He said he still tosses Klingons in his vids as a nod to his loyal subscribers who have stuck with him.

It's an awesome vid though, like you said the way his old remixes blend together is quite something.

OMG Aero

I am really disappointed that no-one suggested Staccat0 watch Dragonshy. It features all the main characters so you understand their personalities and it is a hell of a lot better than the Ticket Master.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
OMG Aero said:
I am really disappointed that no-one suggested Staccat0 watch Dragonshy. It features all the main characters so you understand their personalities and it is a hell of a lot better than the Ticket Master.
start on a fluttershy episode?
do you want his heart to explode?!

Pandaman said:
is this supposed to be funny or something?
Apparently you didn't make it past the intro. The magic starts at 1:25.
Choppasmith said:
So someone on Ponychan mentioned this, and thoguht I'd make a quick video to confirm.

Fluttershy's big cheer (well her major inhale beforehand) is Pinkie Pie's gasp backwards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iPVTeexoVA

Or is it the other way around..?
It's Wilhelm-pony!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Choppasmith said:
So someone on Ponychan mentioned this, and thoguht I'd make a quick video to confirm.

Fluttershy's big cheer (well her major inhale beforehand) is Pinkie Pie's gasp backwards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iPVTeexoVA

Or is it the other way around..?
That's actually a very cool find, I would never have guessed it. :)

Foxix said:
It'd be crazy if we managed to cram another 11k into this thread before season 2.
Never gonna happen, it will cool off in about a month, I think. :)

I'm animating pony CaramellDansen, not because I think it was NEEDED, but because someone on Ponychan sent an open challenge and I thought I'd take the chance to learn something abount animation, video creation, Gimp and Inkscape. Which ponies would you like to see first?

Foxix Von

Myke Greywolf said:
That's actually a very cool find, I would never have guessed it. :)

Never gonna happen, it will cool off in about a month, I think. :)

I'm animating pony CaramellDansen, which ponies would you like to see first?

*cough*
<-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that or pinkie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom