• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

As I'll miss the next week's episode (season finale aaaaah) this will be my final ponyday until next season :( I got to find a proper way to celebrate it!

Nishastra said:
Tomorrow's gonna suck, then.
Oh god, you're right!

D6wCK.png

Aske

New MLP convert checking in. Wondered what the fuss was about, so I watched the first couple of episodes expecting something like the Powerpuff Girls with ponies. I came away disappointed after part 1, but some point during part 2 I fell completely in love. I'm now one episode away from being caught up. I don't know where the appeal comes from, or what MLP has that other cartoons don't, but every show leaves me feeling awesome. It's like a brain massage.

Rarity is my fav.

Mechanical Snowman said:
It's not that I can't watch standard definition, it's that early rips of MLP are in sub SD with watermarks all over the screen.

Watching that on a 1080p screen is terrible.

This is the key to how viable SD is to a given viewer: how good is their TV? The higher the resolution, the harder it is to upscale a low quality video. I thank the gods I have a 42" 720p TV as my main set, because I don't need my HD to look super crisp, and I love being able to watch SD without balking. My iMac is a 21" 1080p display. It's not possible to watch SD at fullscreen without being distracted by the awful picture.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Aske said:
New MLP convert checking in. Wondered what the fuss was about, so I watched the first couple of episodes expecting something like the Powerpuff Girls with ponies. I came away disappointed after part 1, but some point during part 2 I fell completely in love. I'm now one episode away from being caught up. I don't know where the appeal comes from, or what MLP has that other cartoons don't, but every show leaves me feeling awesome. It's like a brain massage.

Rarity is my fav.

Welcome to the herd ^_^.

FoxSpirit said:
Yeah, same for me. I feel like missing out so much detail if I don't wait for the HD upload.

I just watch the eps on the livestream early in the day and then watch it with my friends in high quality later in the evening =)

Ookami-kun said:
Apparently this Philippine studio is going to do season 2 eps.
I think since technically the Phillippine Studio is doing outsourced work from Studio B (where I ASSSSUME design, directing, fixes and post are done), this listing may not necessarily mean they'll animate all the episodes themselves.

A fancier person could probably shoot a quick message to the MLP director on twitter and get a straight answer.

duckroll

Does no one pay attention to credits for the shows they watch anymore? Top Draw has been animating MLP since ep1. :p

This isn't even news.

TunaLover

Too bad itsn't being broadcasted to Chile (latinamerica?) yet, I'm fairly curious about it, I loved Powerpuff Girls and Foster Mansion =)

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Aske said:
Rarity is my fav.
It's great to know that, Rarity gets too little love from the fanbase. :)

Welcome to the thread!

TunaLover said:
Too bad itsn't being broadcasted to Chile (latinamerica?) yet, I'm fairly curious about it, I loved Powerpuff Girls and Foster Mansion =)
It's all on Youtube if you're willing to watch it like that, just look it up.

RomanticHeroX said:
I finally caught up on episodes last night, so I can participate in my first Ponyday! About what time can I expect it to be up?
SD source: some time tonight.
HD source: some time tomorrow.

I think.

Anyway, speculation time! I dunno about you guys, but I love speculating. I wanna know what you guys think the reasons will be for the mane cast to not attend Pinkie's party.

Twilight: Working on a project for the princess with Spike's help.
Rarity: Large tailoring order to finish.
Fluttershy: Uhm, well, I have no idea what kind of obligations she could have.
Applejack: Apple stock is running low and has to work all day and night.
Rainbow Dash: Simply being Rainbow Dash or perhaps extensive work with the weather.

duckroll said:
Does no one pay attention to credits for the shows they watch anymore? Top Draw has been animating MLP since ep1. :p
The animation phase of the episodes are split between Top Draw and Studio B, with the latter looking much better if you're Rainman and able to notice such things.

The worry (?) is that Hasbro might tighten the budget and go with just Top Draw, but as I mentioned, I think everything BUT the animation would still have to be done at Studio B, which leads me to believe the Top Draw listing isn't implying anything different than the first season.

OMG Aero

RomanticHeroX said:
I finally caught up on episodes last night, so I can participate in my first Ponyday! About what time can I expect it to be up?
From my experience, okay quality Youtube versions usually come online around 11pm GMT.
Confused101 said:
Anyway, speculation time! I dunno about you guys, but I love speculating. I wanna know what you guys think the reasons will be for the mane cast to not attend Pinkie's party.

Twilight: Working on a project for the princess with Spike's help.
Rarity: Large tailoring order to finish.
Fluttershy: Uhm, well, I have no idea what kind of obligations she could have.
Applejack: Apple stock is running low and has to work all day and night.
Rainbow Dash: Simply being Rainbow Dash or perhaps extensive work with the weather.
I think the reason no-one wants to come to her party is because they are organising a surprise party for her instead.

duckroll

meltingparappa said:
The animation phase of the episodes are split between Top Draw and Studio B, with the latter looking much better if you're Rainman and able to notice such things.

The worry (?) is that Hasbro might tighten the budget and go with just Top Draw, but as I mentioned, I think everything BUT the animation would still have to be done at Studio B, which leads me to believe the Top Draw listing isn't implying anything different than the first season.

Top Draw has been involved with MLP since day 1. They work on the majority of the actual animation in every episode, while Studio B is generally in charge of the actual production and direction. This isn't going to change. The Top Draw listing for season 2 is very, very old, and it's not news at all. I'm not sure why it's suddenly being discussed as if it's some sort of issue at all.

Aske said:
This is the key to how viable SD is to a given viewer: how good is their TV? The higher the resolution, the harder it is to upscale a low quality video. I thank the gods I have a 42" 720p TV as my main set, because I don't need my HD to look super crisp, and I love being able to watch SD without balking. My iMac is a 21" 1080p display. It's not possible to watch SD at fullscreen without being distracted by the awful picture.
Pretty much sums it up. I have a 1080p 50" and a 1080p 18", so naturally I try and stay away from early YouTube rips in 640x360 resolution.

Also, the Hub HD rips have 5.1 surround :p

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
meltingparappa said:

Equestria Daily posted an interview that was staged on 4chan's /co/ with one of the show's layout artists. On that interview, he stated that episodes 19, 21, 22, 24, 25 and 26 were all animated in house (meaning Studio B - previously, it had alternated from Top Draw to Studio B between episodes, with the exception of 1 and 2). Many more interesting production facts can be read through his answers.

Curiously, I think episode 24 was somewhat inconsistent on the character design front... maybe a result of deadline crunch?

EDIT: Scratch that, it was episode 23 (The Cutie Mark Chronicles) that I thought had sub-par designs and animation, so that only confirms the theory that Studio B episodes are better animated.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
duckroll said:

This isn't even news.

I thought they weren't, because they only listed season 2 production XD

Aske

That Pinkazoid thing is amazing.

And Rarity doesn't get much love from the fanbase? But she's so elegant!

I keep trying to rank my favourite ponies, but I can't break up second place:

1) Rarity

2) Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Applejack

2.5)Rainbow Dash

3) Twilight Sparkle

After Rarity, they all rock pretty much equally in different ways, with the slightest preference for PP, AJ and Fluttershy over Dash (although her sonic rainboom was magnificent, and I did want her to win the race with AJ until she started playing dirty). And Twilight only comes in third because she's the straight pony. I like her, but I prefer her as a foil to the others.

Also Spike is awesome, and I find Princess Celestia unsettling. Not sure why.

One more thing I love about the show is the inclusion of one-trick ponies with one very specific talent, and the accompanying Cutie Mark. Like the pegasi jocks, and the balloon bursting dude who lives to prick things. Genius. I also hope The Great and Powerful Trixie makes a glorious return at some point.

That's a great interview, and pretty rad of that artist to interact with the fans that way. Fascinating that he chooses to remain anonymous about it, but probably for the best in case someone misconstrues his words into some sort of minor disclosure agreement kerfuffle.

So that sounds like what I was getting at earlier. Interesting that he says they'll be animating all the episodes, perhaps because the animation crew is busy doing Pound Puppies during that time frame? There were some subtly wonderful things on the episodes (that I assume) Studio B episodes.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Aske said:
And Rarity doesn't get much love from the fanbase? But she's so elegant!
Yeah, I think most people are like "how dare these people put such a GIRLY character in this awesome
girly
show?"

She's awesome, though. Although she only starts to shine brighter beginning with "Suited for Success".

Twilight's my favorite, if you hadn't noticed. ;)

Coming to think of it I never did any rankings myself, so for your squabbling pleasure...
1. Fluttershy
2. Twilight Sparkle
3. Pinkie Pie
4. Applejack
5. Rarity
6. Rainbow Dash

Ark

1. Rainbow Dash
2. Pinkie Pie
3. Twilight Sparkle
4. Applejack
5. Fluttershy
6. Rarity

Although to be honest, the top 4 I would all put as number 1. I really dislike Rarity and sometimes Fluttershy just annoys me :(

jogarrr

Off to a good start.
Singing telegram :p

meltingparappa said:
If someone is going to watch the episode on The Hub, can they try to catch the writer again?

PRE-JUDGMENT IS THE BEST JUDGMENT.

Writer is Meghan McCarthy.

Aske

I think the reason I'm less jazzed by Twilight is because she's the everypony. She's much more multi-faceted, and much more real. The others are all archetypes representing specific personality traits, and because of this they're more one-dimensional. I find that purity of character appealing, and I get a kick out of it on the rare occasions I meet one-dimensional people in real life too.

jogarrr said:
Writer is Meghan McCarthy.
Dragonshy (fine)
Call of the Cutie (which I THOUGHT was going to be the only Cutie Mark Crusader episode, and had a nice message in it)
Green Isn't Your Color (probably the funniest episode, IMO)

This bodes well.

Aske

jogarrr said:

Yep, that's definitely a part of it. She seems to make judgements whimsically, and she's hard to pin down. She does so many things that seem contradictory. I could see her laughing at the idea that Fluttershy taking care of the royal bird might land her in serious trouble...but I could also see her saying "I'm sorry Fluttershy, it pains me to do this, but it is with a heavy heart that I banish you and then throw you in a dungeon in the place that I banish you to."

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Ranking is always hard, so I made it simple for me by what type of pony is better.

Earth goes to Pinky Pie
Unicorn is Rarity
Pegasus is Fluttershy

Not sure if I'm liking this one but more Gummy is always a good thing.

Edit: I restate my previous statement, episode got some gags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom