• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darte

Says shes the consulting director for Season 2, and her involvement lowers as the season progresses. Does that mean Faust is completely exiting come season 3?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I guess
hope
the execs can't be THAT stupid and completely change an immensely successful rebuild of a franchise (that was practically dead since its existed) up to the point it becomes a totally different series. I'll stay cautiously optimistic for now.

Jintor

Captain Fish said:
A lot of those are great, but Jintor's Belle Eve is still my favorite. Did he draw that fire or find a source? It matches the drawing so well.

Just to let you know, I drew it myself. Since the source image is tiny you can pretty much just scrawl nebulous colours across Belle's mane and your eyes will trick themselves into seeing fire.

I figured this would happen sooner or later (was hoping for later AFTER Season 2 or 3, and sad to hear it was sooner) I have faith though as it wasn't SOLELY Lauren Faust that made the show great. We've got these wonderful story writers, directors, voice actors, and musical talent. I find it almost insulting that people are singling her out and ignoring the other great people working on the show. It's like they expect the show to regress into the old MLP that everyone hated.

I think Lauren Faust really got the ball rolling (I mean really, aside from providing the artstyle and concept, she did only write the first three episodes), and its up to the rest of her crew to keep it rolling. I'm still very much optimistic, though I have the feeling fans will all too quickly blame her departure during a weak episode, even though Season 1 had them all the same.

I'm only worried about that "Entertaining in a different way" comment.

Regulus Tera said:
I'm unsubscribing. Show is gonna suck from now on anyway.

Hey guys, let's not go overboard. The team's suffered a big blow without Faust, but she's not the only person on the team. She hasn't written an episode since Applebuck Season. and by most accounts was mostly in a supervisory capacity once she had established the world and characters. The rest of the team's still there, and Faust still has a position on the team, apparently to make sure that the whole thing is still in line with her vision; her post even says she's only "a little less involved."

There are examples of directors changing and the show going to pot, and there are examples of things going even better than they were before.

The new team has a lot to prove without Faust at the helm, and the wording of the post makes one suspect executive meddling, but let's give them a chance to prove themselves.

Flexo

Neo Member
ivedoneyourmom said:
Flexo, welcome to PonyGAF. Thank you for the news even if it wasn't favorable.
Thank you kindly, pardner. Crazy set of circumstances, ain't it?

Choppasmith said:
If it wasn't for that quick phrase, I don't think I'd be so worried right now. I wish she'd elaborate on that...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
all this means is that party of one is more indicative of season 2's quality than the earlier episodes.

im okay with that.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I'll give the next season an honest chance, there are still plenty of talented people left on the show. But the cynic in me can't help but have this nagging feeling, that the second season of MLP may be its last :(.

Flexo

Neo Member
Pankaks said:
I'll give the next season an honest chance, there are still plenty of talented people left on the show. But the cynic in me can't help but have this nagging feeling, that the second season of MLP may be its last :(.
By then we would have a total of 50 22-minute episodes, which is a hell of a lot longer than most cartoons of the "kiddy" genre usually go...

For this show to go that long on a network that people still have no idea that it exists, I'll take that as quite the accomplishment.

Darte said:
Could be a mention to shift to introduce reoccurring villains?

I'm concerned about that as well, and the really vague nature of her leaving. It's not like, "family life got in the way," not, "My other projects have gotten huge and I need to spend the time to make them grow," or even, "I've set the groundwork for this well and have full faith in my team to continue producing well," we get "various factors" involved in the production, that lead to a loss of "control."

On the other hand, if we're concerned with executive meddling, Faust is at the place where she can do the most good- overseeing general story conception and plot. If they shuffled her off to get the thorn out of her side, they've shuffled her to the place where she could do the most damage while still in a more limited role. Doesn't add up.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
ThreeSix said:
Luna returning in an episode confirmed and Derpy might become an on screen/speaking character as well.

This will be the jumping the shark moment. This is when you will know there's no return.

Flexo

Neo Member
Amibguous Cad said:
If they shuffled her off to get the thorn out of her side, they've shuffled her to the place where she could do the most damage while still in a more limited role. Doesn't add up.
I think Faust is implying that it was her decision to step down...

Neki

oh god, the sky is falling, the sky is falling. OH GOOOOOOOD!

edit: I'm trying to find a reaction gif to show how I'm feeling, but I can't find any, gosh darnnnnnnn.

edit2:
WrYFe.gif

Negator

This is some unsettling news. This show was so great, I would hate to see it go down in flames by clueless suits.

Who knows, we'll have to wait until December to find out.

Darte said:
Could be a mention to shift to introduce reoccurring villains?

I'd find it interesting if that was the case since Lauren Faust wanted Nightmare Moon as a recurring villain, but it became a slice-of-life type comedy with morals instead.

Like Pandaman said, the latter end of the episodes are more likely indicative of the quality sans Faust. If we get more episodes like Party of One and Dog and Pony Show, I'm totally fine and not worried about that.

I also totally wouldn't mind more episodes like Dragonshy or stuff like the pilot (just better scripted to not be quite THAT obvious)

McNum

Jintor said:
Fuck I love that gif
Where is the original without the Banzai Bill from, anyway? I take it one of those "meteors are falling and we're doomed!" disaster movies from 10-ish ears ago?

akira28

I'd like to play an MLP fighter game actually, done in Fighter Maker if such a thing was possible. Call me crazy, but I think it'd be awesome.

Neki

Choppasmith said:
I'd find it interesting if that was the case since Lauren Faust wanted Nightmare Moon as a recurring villain, but it became a slice-of-life type comedy with morals instead.

Like Pandaman said, the latter end of the episodes are more likely indicative of the quality sans Faust. If we get more episodes like Party of One and Dog and Pony Show, I'm totally fine and not worried about that.

I also totally wouldn't mind more episodes like Dragonshy or stuff like the pilot (just better scripted to not be quite THAT obvious)

Well we don't know how involved Lauren actually was when she wasn't story writing, so it's tough to say the effect of her leaving. I'm willing to give it a chance, but I'm still highly skeptical of it.

edit: one of the animators also said that Derpy was an official character, does that mean Derpy gets talking parts now?
edit2: also says it will bring back some old familiar ones, I really hope they're not cutting the main cast. D:

Ultimoo said:
Well we don't know how involved Lauren actually was when she wasn't story writing, so it's tough to say the effect of her leaving. I'm willing to give it a chance, but I'm still highly skeptical of it.

edit: one of the animators also said that Derpy was an official character, does that mean Derpy gets talking parts now?
edit2: also says it will bring back some old familiar ones, I really hope they're not cutting the main cast. D:

I doubt that she has a big speaking role. The artist speculated that she might have some predone facial expressions. I'm betting on her having more cameos and more expressive stuff in the background, like we see with Lyra, but not much more.

I really doubt that they're cutting any of the main cast.

We also know that Faust is still involved in season 2, overlooking plot and script. That's not nothing. I don't think "highly skeptical" is the right attitude to have, though the show definitely has something to prove going forward.

McNum

Ultimoo said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_Day
Someone mentioned it when I was looking for the source, seems like the docu-drama fits the bill.
Huh, I think I saw that series, possibly on the Discovery Channel a few years ago. I knew it looked familiar, but it wasn't saying "Deep Impact" or "Armageddon"to me, so I figured it had to be another meteor movie.

Also, I wake up this morning, take a look outside, beautiful spring weather, and a little song starts looping in my head...

"What is this place filled with so many wonders?
Casting its spell that I am mow under..."

It's infectious...

Neki

I don't think she was involved much in Season 2. She said she made storyline conceptions and scripts, which has nothing to do with the overall product because stories and scripts can be revised over and over again, there is certainly going to be more than one draft of a story. It's not even story either, it's story conception. Of course I'm going to be highly skeptical, if all she is doing was making some rough drafts of stories and scripts, that means the bulk of the work is on everyone else.

I'll give it a chance, but it still doesn't make me any less skeptical of the show, especially given the circumstances of her departure. This is much too early to tell really and we still have a couple of months to consider it before anything actually happens.

Edit: So now we play the waiting game...

Edit 2: this is boring, let's play hungry hungry hippos instead.

Sucks about Faust having less of a role in production.

As long as the quality stays as good as the first season I don't see any problems.

McNum

I'm not too worried, even if it's sad to see Lauren stepping down. We must remember what this started as, after all: "My Little Pony? GOOD? Pfft! Yeah, right!" I say that even without Lauren directly involved, this show has earned itself the benefit of the doubt for season 2. And even if it turns out bad, then we still have season 1. It's not going anywhere.

Choppasmith said:
Yup, that's the phrase that's echoing in my mind in a Pinkie Pie voice.

ThreeSix said:
Derpy might become an on screen/speaking character as well.
Where's that facehoof.jpg when you need it?

Honestly, I've felt that the later half of this season was lacking something. From 18 on the episodes always seemed disjointed. That didn't really change my opinion of them, but I feel like I notice I'm watching the show more. But, if that's the only thing different about Season 2, all of the episodes feeling like that instead of just the later ones, that would be a good thing.

OMG Aero

While this is sad news, I wouldn't take it as the death of the show. Lauren says she will still be involved in the show and, even if that's a minor role, she won't let it suddenly turn to shit now that she isn't in full control. It's also important to remember that she wasn't the only person making the show, she says that the same writers, animators and directors are working on season 2, it isn't being handed off to a bunch of people who had nothing to do with the success of season 1. The writing and animation in particular being two of the most important things that made this show good (and I think that Lauren Faust only wrote the first two parter and Applebuck season, so some of the best episodes were written by people that still work there).
In short, let's all relax and eagerly anticipate season 2 the same way we did before this news.
Ultimoo said:
The animator said that "I wouldn't be surprised if she has her own character sheet/model with preset expressions". I would have thought that this would be a given for a character with a speaking role. And when he says old familiar characters will come back, he was probably talking about one episode characters like Gilda and Trixie coming back, not the main cast which are pretty much a given.

Saw this Anonymous comment on the ED Article just now. No idea who this is supposed to be or how legit it is.

Basically from what Lauren told me, the schedule was the biggest problem. We animators work under shorter and shorter schedules, and the demands placed on us intensify with every new episode. Directors work 7 days a week sometimes, under a lot of stress. And with budgets shrinking and writers changing their minds at the last minute it's amazing we can produce ANYTHING of quality.

And yet, we got season one of MLP :} Don't worry. Everything will be fine.

Oh, this one too

've spoken to Lauren, and she held off telling you guys so you wouldn't get all upset. She wants you guys to give the rest of her crew a chance. Basically, she didn't want to sabotage their efforts. They've been running the show for a while and I'm sure they're gonna do a bang up job.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Choppasmith said:
Saw this Anonymous comment on the ED Article just now. No idea who this is supposed to be or how legit it is.

Oh, this one too

Regardless of the origins, this comment calmed me down a bit.

Now to quietly wait for season 2...

CassSept

Myke Greywolf said:
So, I woke up this morning and...

AT THE GALA!
AT THE GALA!

... Shit, it's going to happen all over again, isn't it?
I had the song playing in my head the moment I finished it and went outside to parteeh.

Well, the news sucks though. I'm kinda optimistic they can work it out, but Hasbro wanting more creative control over the series doesn't sound so good...

Ark

Choppasmith said:

It's sad news, but hopefully they keep the show the same.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mazeedibeedi said:
Lauren now has less control now??
spikefffffffffff.gif
her involvement apparently slipped as the series progressed with no noticable slipadge in quality.

then again, the last episode did see the return of beauty salon ponies getting their hair perm'd.

Flexo

Neo Member
Posted by a layout artist who works on the show that browses the "Allspark" forum...

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=76678&view=findpost&p=1822766

I've known about this for a while now, was wondering when the news would finally break. Now before people go all gloom and doom, I'd like to point out that she is still doing a lot of what she did in season 1. She's still heavily involved in the pre-production of season 2 (story and scripts), she'll just be less involved in the post-production. This really won't have any impact on the production.

To clarify what Kreoss was talking about in his blog, no 7 episodes are not complete, he's talking about watching animatics, essentially storyboards with the recorded dialogue from the voice actors. Layout starts later this month, and animation starts next month, so it'll be a while yet before the season 2 episodes are ready. I've actually seen more of the animatics than he has at this point, and season 2 is shaping up to be AMAZING.

Definitely glad to hear that...

Flexo

Neo Member
Pandaman said:
then again, the last episode did see the return of beauty salon ponies getting their hair perm'd.
Which was handled by a funny gag with AJ noting to Rarity that they usually don't wear clothes...

It was a fun scene and nothing against the normal quality of the show.

smurfx

get some go again
alright i'm 5 episodes in and episode 5 is definitely my fav so far. rainbow dash is my fav but followed very closely by pinkie pie.

Pandaman said:
Handled in true Pony fashion (har) with a nod to Pinkie's insanity (her hair poofing back to normal) and Applejack's gag about them not wearing clothes. Pinkie playing with the first machine and being blown across the room was good physical comedy, too.

Now, the real question is, will Hasbro release a line of toys where the ladies are wearing their dresses? If the show's all about selling more toys, I say yes. If the show's about releasing good quality TV with fun stories, interesting characters, and subtle moral messages, I suggest no.

I picked up all of the $2 Big Lots pony characters (except Fluttershy; couldn't find it at three stores. I tell people she's hiding) and that'll the extent of my merchandise purchases until the season comes out on BluRay. I'm not letting this thing turn into another financial Lion King. ;)

I was sort of hoping this thread would slow down a bit after the move, I don't have time to keep up with all these new pages!

It sucks about the Lauren news, but I still have faith that the show won't lose its charm come next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom