• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ookami-kun said:
I just realized that we didn't get much GIFs for the last ep.
i havent found an .avi hd recording yet. >_>

but when i do...
xLI6A.gif

Snaku

Banned
Well shit, this news was not what I was expecting to find in this thread. :( Thanks for the ride LF.

Flexo said:
Posted by a layout artist who works on the show that browses the "Allspark" forum...

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=76678&view=findpost&p=1822766

I've known about this for a while now, was wondering when the news would finally break. Now before people go all gloom and doom, I'd like to point out that she is still doing a lot of what she did in season 1. She's still heavily involved in the pre-production of season 2 (story and scripts), she'll just be less involved in the post-production. This really won't have any impact on the production.

To clarify what Kreoss was talking about in his blog, no 7 episodes are not complete, he's talking about watching animatics, essentially storyboards with the recorded dialogue from the voice actors. Layout starts later this month, and animation starts next month, so it'll be a while yet before the season 2 episodes are ready. I've actually seen more of the animatics than he has at this point, and season 2 is shaping up to be AMAZING.

Definitely glad to hear that...

That's cool I guess, but I can't help but be skeptical.

DrForester said:
Faust news gives me serious seaQuest flashabcks...

This.

OMG Aero

Ookami-kun said:
I've always wondered how to get that font used in macros.
It's called Impact. I think it's a standard font that comes on all computers, I don't remember ever installing it at least.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ultimoo said:
I need more Trixie, she needs to become the new antagonist for Twilight.

See what worries me is the whole antagonist thing. I don't mind the occasional antagonist, but what worries me is that they're going to move away from slice of life stuff and move to something else. Season 1 really didn't have any villains except the occasional monster. Even Gilda and Trixie weren't really villains.

Episode was kinda meh. There were good moments, but I think episodes really need a central pony or two to focus on. Giving equal attention to all of them doesn't really give any of them enough of a chance to shine. I did like all of the callbacks to the Ticket Master and Suited for Success though.

NEO0MJ

DrForester said:
See what worries me is the whole antagonist thing. I don't mind the occasional antagonist, but what worries me is that they're going to move away from slice of life stuff and move to something else. Season 1 really didn't have any villains except the occasional monster. Even Gilda and Trixie weren't really villains.

They don't have to be the evil type of villains, just antagonists that challenge them to something. Like a magic showdown versus Trixie or a race with Gilda.

Nishastra

Banned
Not the best of news, but I'll give the staff the benefit of the doubt.

They should just be careful not to change too much for "our" sakes. While we may be most of the show's audience, we weren't the target, and I don't think we should become it. I'm actually more concerned about Derpy than anything :p

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Nishastra said:
Not the best of news, but I'll give the staff the benefit of the doubt.

They should just be careful not to change too much for "our" sakes. While we may be most of the show's audience, we weren't the target, and I don't think we should become it. I'm actually more concerned about Derpy than anything :p

Fans are stupid. I hope they remember that. Listening to fanboys/girls will only end in disaster.

Flexo said:
I'm sorry this had to be my first post:

http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/journal/40428056/

And now I suppose it’s finally time for me to deliver some unfortunate news. I’ve been uncertain for a little while now about how, when and, to be honest, whether to announce the news at all. But here it is: I am no longer working on the show. Various circumstances with the production made it increasingly impossible for me to keep up the level of personal creative involvement and control that I had at the start of the series. I don’t think I can accurately express how difficult and painful the decision was and still is. When Season 2 begins, you will see my credit changed from Executive Producer to Consulting Producer. My involvement in Season 2 ultimately does not reach far beyond story conception and scripts. A little more involved in the beginning, and a little less towards the end.

However, you should be pleased to know that the gaps I have left are being filled by the same amazing artists, writers and directors who brought you Season 1. I’m certain the show will be as entertaining as ever, though perhaps in a slightly different way.

With that said, I hope you will still be interested in sticking around my DA page. I started this page as a forum to share my personal work and I hope that those of you who come here lured by ponies will be tempted to hang out for whatever else I have to share in the future---- as soon as I figure out what that will be!!

With sincerest gratitude,
Lauren

and then the internet exploded

Sucks, but being honest I'm not surprised. After Episode 3, she was practically not involved in the show.

I guess Hasbro wanted to get someone talented at the helm to get the show off to a great start and be sure that it would be a success then boot her out once the show took off.

Well, I can't say I'm not a little bit disheartened by this news. This was the last thing I expected to hear after we found out that season 2 was a sure thing. That kind of told me that season 1 did very well and now the show's creator and now the show's creator is only going to be doing some consulting on it? I don't like it.

However, like others have said, we have to give season 2 an honest chance. It does sound like there are some seriously talented people involved and we can only hope the new episodes are on par with the awesomeness of season 1.

I really, really hope the show doesn't completely tank but I can't help this nagging feeling that we're going to be disappointed. Please don't let us down!

Edit:
OMG Aero said:
So I hear it's Mother's Day in some parts of the world today.

The flowers are actually Twilight's father
This is very sweet. =)

And it seems like I'm still rocking Belle Eve. Oops. Guess I'll have to wait til I get into work on Monday to change it back.

Snaku

Banned
Confused101 said:
Well, I can't say I'm not a little bit disheartened by this news. This was the last thing I expected to hear after we found out that season 2 was a sure thing. That kind of told me that season 1 did very well and now the show's creator and now the show's creator is only going to be doing some consulting on it? I don't like it.

However, like others have said, we have to give season 2 an honest chance. It does sound like there are some seriously talented people involved and we can only hope the new episodes are on par with the awesomeness of season 1.

I really, really hope the show doesn't completely tank but I can't help this nagging feeling that we're going to be disappointed. Please don't let us down!

Edit:

This is very sweet. =)

And it seems like I'm still rocking Belle Eve. Oops. Guess I'll have to wait til I get into work on Monday to change it back.

One thing's for sure, fans will be viewing S2 with a much more critical eye; perhaps undeservedly so.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I'm slightly worried about the possibility of quality decreasing after Faust losing her grip on the show, but unless the show becomes all about the ponies deciding which frosting to use on the cake for their next tea party, and as long as the characters and tone stay true to what has been established in season one, I'll keep on riding this boat.

Already I have great hopes, based on what we've read from the director and several of the artists involved.

There is no single greater change you can make to the production of a show than to change the showrunner.

Lauren most likely drafted and gave notes on treatments during the writing process, designed the initial characters, helped in casting the actors, gave notes at every single design, storyboard, animation and post phase and in numerous ways, left her stamp on every single second of the show.

I hope that this means Rob Renzetti (or a similarly talented former showrunner) gets to fill that role and is granted the creative freedom to carve out his own particular niche.

The move to animate exclusively at Go Animate while the Studio B animators work on Pound Puppies also points towards a budget cut (which is actually pretty normal for the second season of a show) is pretty disheartening.

It'll most likely be different, but that isn't a bad thing. If the original plans were to have a greater story arc (assuming Hasbro didn't nix it) and antagonist in season 2, Rob Renzetti is a FANTASTIC fit.

Here's hoping it doesn't just go the safe route, and it ends slowly being skewing towards the previous MLP shows.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Nayuki's post makes me feel better. Lauren is still heavily involved in pre-production which means that the theme should be consistent. I just hope that they keep on winking to us instead of fully embracing the brony phenomenon.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to beat Ultimoo in Hungry, Hungry Hippos.
*mashes lever furiously*

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
goldenrusset said:
...rest assured pony fans, the show is not changing. We have doubled our efforts since she left and I am very pleased with the results.

Star%20Wars%20Darth%20Vader%20(3).jpg

I hope so for your sake. The Pony Fanbase is not nearly as forgiving as I am.

Adelor Lyon said:
Handled in true Pony fashion (har) with a nod to Pinkie's insanity (her hair poofing back to normal) and Applejack's gag about them not wearing clothes. Pinkie playing with the first machine and being blown across the room was good physical comedy, too.

Now, the real question is, will Hasbro release a line of toys where the ladies are wearing their dresses? If the show's all about selling more toys, I say yes. If the show's about releasing good quality TV with fun stories, interesting characters, and subtle moral messages, I suggest no.

I picked up all of the $2 Big Lots pony characters (except Fluttershy; couldn't find it at three stores. I tell people she's hiding) and that'll the extent of my merchandise purchases until the season comes out on BluRay. I'm not letting this thing turn into another financial Lion King. ;)

If Suited for Success is what happens when Hasbro is trying to sell some toys, I want them to sell me some more goddamn toys.

Myke Greywolf said:
I'm slightly worried about the possibility of quality decreasing after Faust losing her grip on the show, but unless the show becomes all about the ponies deciding which frosting to use on the cake for their next tea party, and as long as the characters and tone stay true to what has been established in season one, I'll keep on riding this boat.

Already I have great hopes, based on what we've read from the director and several of the artists involved.

They made us love an episode with a musical number about making pretty dresses. I don't know how they'd do it, but I bet these guys could even turn an episode about a tea party into entertaining television.

EDIT: I really hope the shitstorm doesn't tell the rest of the team that we don't value their input. You can see goldenrusset getting a bit more defensive...

Odrion

Banned
The amount of communication from the staff about this departure is pretty assuring. Seems like they acknowledge that they have a really good thing right now and don't want to ruin it.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
meltingparappa said:
I hope everyone is preemptively getting e3 versions of these gifs ready.

Pony gifs are the modern equivalent of the political cartoon.
It's funny when they shut down OT for E3. I go full on lurker during E3. The bloodshed during that time is overwhelming. The mods aren't very forgiving that week. I would recommend that PonyGaf refrain from imposing our will during that time.

KtSlime

Nishastra said:
Hmm... I don't remember... Do they shut down Community? :p

I don't think so... Community doesn't put much stress on the server, and is primarilly for gaming. I think we may be safe. Shamalamadingdongtwist.jpeg

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Nishastra said:
Hmm... I don't remember... Do they shut down Community? :p
Trying to remember. I thought they shut down everything. I just remember them moving the world cup thread over to gaming but that was it.

Nishastra

Banned
I can't remember at all. I didn't used to follow anything in Community. Also Community didn't used to exist, it was "Online" and was a subforum of Gaming, and even less things were actually in it.

When did it start being Community?

G-Fex

DrForester said:
Give her a break. Those animals were total jerks to her. Didn't even give her a chance.

She could've just talked the old groundskeeper since he wanted to be friends.

Well if Hasbro screwed up with this they'll be just as bad as 4Kids!

They could pull that one thing like they did to the ninja turtles 2003 series that changed the animation to awful cheap looking abomination.

Oh and Twilight Mom's probably going to eat those flowers so what's the point of giving them in Equestria?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
G-Fex said:
She could've just talked the old groundskeeper since he wanted to be friends.

Well if Hasbro screwed up with this they'll be just as bad as 4Kids!

They could pull that one thing like they did to the ninja turtles 2003 series that changed the animation to awful cheap looking abomination.

Oh and Twilight Mom's probably going to eat those flowers so what's the point of giving them in Equestria?
*hug*

That was an angry post and I think you needed one.

*hug*

G-Fex

RiccochetJ said:
*hug*

That was an angry post and I think you needed one.

*hug*

I'm not angry, you'll tell if I get angry. I get downright pissed.

I used the exclamation mark cause that's how 4Kids! logo's go.

ivedoneyourmom said:
It's like a mothers day box of chocolates?

Yeah but they Have chocolates!

Oh my head, by exodia's beard.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
G-Fex said:
I'm not angry, you'll tell if I get angry. I get downright pissed.

I used the exclamation mark cause that's how 4Kids! logo's go.

Yeah but they Have chocolates!

Oh my head, by exodia's beard.
Hrmph, fine. Still think you need a internet hug though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom