• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Myke Greywolf said:
Myke's Season One Song Ranking

Personally, I'd rate Pony Pokey much higher. The puns and rhyming are fantastic, especially when coupled with the video. I also love the opening song and want a long version of it. It's such a happy song. After watching a show for a while I tend to skip the intros; I haven't done that yet. Winter Wrap Up and Art of the Dress are both fantastic. I like them equally, with maybe a tiny, tiny edge to AotD because it's in two parts and carries the story.

I'd drop the Cutie Crusaders song down several notches. It's fun, but it's sung so poorly and off-key it bothers me a little. The Eurobeat version sounds fantastic so it's got a good rhythm and has good melodies, but the one in the show just doesn't do it for me. It's intentionally bad and that's okay, but I'm not looking for intentionally bad. In the context of the episode, it's good. Listening to it recreationally on its own, no thanks.

Furret

Banned
ChuckNoLuck said:
Chuck’s Pony Rankings : Season One - The Mane Cast

1. Rainbow Dash – While sometimes it may seem Rainbow Dash is all about herself, it’s really quite the opposite. She always thinks about her friends first but she tends to show it in her own way. She’s tough, energetic, competitive, and always a great character when she’s on screen. As the reason I started watching the show, she sure lived up to how awesome I thought she and the show could be.

2. Pinkie Pie – Pinkie Pie is fucking crazy. She writes songs for the most random of things. She makes comments and asks questions about the most random of thoughts. She lost her mind after her friends were ignoring her for only one day. These are the reasons I love Pinkie Pie. She is always brings a great comical presence when she is on screen and brings the humor and writing of the show to the next level.

3. Fluttershy – Always raising the cuteness level of any episode when she’s involved, Fluttershy is impossible to not love when you get to know her. She tries to never impose on anypony and her manners toward everypony are unmatched. She’s simply adorable.

4. Applejack – Applejack is the one character you can almost always guess what she’ll say or what she’ll do at any given time. She makes the show a little predictable and even clichéd at times. Her stubbornness occasionally leaves me questioning her motivations for her actions and whether her friends feelings mean that much to her. I still like her, she just needs to think more before she acts.

5. Twilight – It’s hard to really describe a character that almost always plays the role of audience stand-in. She’s an all right character but needs to move past the typical bookworm archetype worrying about the Princess so much. She’s just not that interesting.

6. Rarity – Oh, where to begin. Rarity is without a doubt in my mind, a mean, selfish, narcissistic pony who always puts herself first before even considering anypony else. She is uptight and overconfident in the most obnoxious way. Rarity’s love for attention is often off-putting and some of the things she does against her friend’s feelings are often disgusting. She is a terrible pony I never want to have anything to do with.

Are you sure you've got the right My Little Pony here? That description of Rarity is bizzarely inaccurate and the one for Rainbow Dash is far too generous - even though she's one of my favourites too.

OMG Aero

ChuckNoLuck said:
Yeah, but that's only one example of her being not terrible. She's still a bad friend in many other episodes.
I think you're just bitter over her treatment of Dash in Sonic Rainboom. That and Ticket Master are the only times I can think of when Rarity was a bad friend, and everyone has been a jerk in a couple of episodes but they always learn their lesson in the end.

Myke Greywolf said:
I'm also a Fluttershy fan, but if I can point anything at the song is that the sudden change in pace made Andrea Libman almost revert to her Pinkie Pie voice, which I found a little weird. ^_^;
I also thought the ending was a little abrupt ("I love everything"... OK.)

True, I did notice a bit of Pinkie showing through at the end there and it was a bit odd. Still, we all know what happens if we don't love Fluttershy enough, don't we?
;)

jogarrr

There's a song list here if anyone else needs to refresh their memory like I did:
http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Songs

I skipped over some of the minor songs but here's my list:

My song ranking list:

1. Stitching it Together (Art of the Dress)
2. At the Gala
3. Face Your Fears (Giggle at the Ghosties)
4. Pinkie Pie's Singing Telegram
5. Title Theme (My Very Best Friends)
6. Winter Wrap Up
7. We Are The Cutie Mark Crusaders
8. Evil Enchantress
9. Pony Pokey
10.Pony Lullaby (Hush Now, Quiet Now)
11.So Many Wonders
12.You Got to Share, You Got to Care

Chuck

Still without luck
OMG Aero said:
I think you're just bitter over her treatment of Dash in Sonic Rainboom. That and Ticket Master are the only times I can think of when Rarity was a bad friend, and everyone has been a jerk in a couple of episodes but they always learn their lesson in the end.

Yeah, you're probably right. The way she treated Dash in Sonic Rainboom was pretty horrible though. I just don't like her at all and she is still uptight.

ChuckNoLuck said:
Yeah, you're probably right. The way she treated Dash in Sonic Rainboom was pretty horrible though. I just don't like her at all and she is still uptight.
I really enjoyed watching Rarity shit all over Rainbow Dash without even realizing it. That's one of the main reasons it's my favorite episode.

Chuck

Still without luck
Master Milk said:
I really enjoyed watching Rarity shit all over Rainbow Dash without even realizing it. That's one of the main reasons it's my favorite episode.

Two posts and you are now ignored. Good job.

ChuckNoLuck said:
Two posts and you are now ignored. Good job.
rarityspooky.gif

That post gave me a hearty laugh. Good job. I'm kind of curious about what the other post was. Unless you're talking about the other post on this page? That'd be weird, since everyone seemed to ignore it.
Which is probably for the best.

You gotta up your love and tolerance. You can't get mad that I like watching Rarity troll Rainbow Dash. That's not very Friendship.

Foxix said:
I'm not sure how to feel about this one...

On one hand it's really well done, on the other I don't exactly feel clean while looking at that...
That just means you need to visit them at the spa and let them wash those dirty feelings away.

Dai101

Banned
ChuckNoLuck said:
6. Rarity – Oh, where to begin. Rarity is without a doubt in my mind, a mean, selfish, narcissistic pony who always puts herself first before even considering anypony else. She is uptight and overconfident in the most obnoxious way. Rarity’s love for attention is often off-putting and some of the things she does against her friend’s feelings are often disgusting. She is a terrible pony I never want to have anything to do with.

I think you got mixed Rarity with rainbow dash there. That's not Rarity AT ALL. She cut her tail (her carefully groomed tail!!) to offer it to a complete estranger. She make 5 pimped out dress for her friends for free and without even asking. She may be a prissy and the most "girly of the bunch but she's not a mind, a mean, selfish, narcissistic pony. The one that is that is a certain blue pegasus pony who is really all about me, myself and i.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dai101 said:
I think you got mixed Rarity with rainbow dash there. That's not Rarity AT ALL. She cut her tail (her carefully groomed tail!!) to offer it to a complete estranger. She make 5 pimped out dress for her friends for free and without even asking. She may be a prissy and the most "girly of the bunch but she's not a mind, a mean, selfish, narcissistic pony. The one that is that is a certain blue pegasus pony who is really all about me, myself and i.

Dai101 you are my friend.

Dai101 said:
+1 internets for this brony

Foxix Von

Dai101 said:

She never says that those dresses are free. In fact it's sort of implied it's the opposite. There's a particular line of dialog in the song where the mane cast tell her: "Make sure that it stays within our budget."

All those gems ain't cheap yo, face it she's greedy.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
ZealousD said:
I don't think that being a small business owner means that you're greedy.
How does Rainbow Dash get an income?
You got Applejack with apples, Rarity with dresses, Pinky works with the Cakes, Fluttershy cares for pets and probably some house care and some crafts (her vast knowledge in dress making has to come from somewhere), Twilight is a student but I guess helps around the library and also works with royalty.

Rarity is the one reason why the ponies went to see Dash perform in the young flyer's competition. She was the only one to notice her stage fright. She wouldn't let Fluttershy stop modeling to spare her own feelings, and made a bunch of stupid looking dresses to please her friends. She often puts others before herself, but just because she doesn't all the time doesn't mean she's terrible.

n8BitMan said:

I would assume the whole weather thing is a unionized Pegasus Pony job.

Dai101

Banned
Foxix said:
All those gems ain't cheap yo, face it she's greedy.

Come on man. They are worthless. Sure they are pretty and work in a fashion sense but since you can find them everywhere in Equestria with only digging a bit and in huge quantitites i don't think they are valuable. Hell, they let Spike eat them like candy.

n8BitMan said:
You got Applejack with apples, Rarity with dresses, Pinky works with the Cakes, Fluttershy cares for pets and probably some house care and some crafts (her vast knowledge in dress making has to come from somewhere), Twilight is a student but I guess helps around the library and also works with royalty.
I think Twilight's library is private, so it's not like that's going to make her any money. Being the personal student of the Princess, however, probably means she doesn't have to worry about things like that.

But yea, I don't think any hints were dropped for what Rainbow Dash does for a living aside from being annoying. Oh, no, she was clearing away clouds in the first episode. Maybe that's what she does, along with a few of the other Pegasus ponies.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
n8BitMan said:
She's a weather maker. Besides the pilot, it's also hinted at on "Look Before You Sleep":

Rarity said:
I simply cannot imagine why the pegasus ponies would schedule a dreadful downpour this evening and ruin what could have been a glorious sunny day.

Foxix Von

Myke Greywolf said:
She's not charging for labor, just for materials.

She's a pony who's magical talent is locating rare and valuable gems for free. There was hardly a need for her to charge anything for materials aside from fabric. I'm willing to bet she's so loaded that it's hardly worth it for her to even charge her friends for that.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Captain Fish said:
I would assume the whole weather thing is a unionized Pegasus Pony job.
Oh yeah, almost forgot about that.
She is lucky that ponies are so lenient; quite the lazy worker. Always has her head in the clouds.

Interesting point brought up. How do ponies make a living in PonyVille, aside from Pinkie Pie, Applejack and Rarity?
Is Twilight subsidised by Celestia? Do ponies leave their pets for Fluttershy to take care of? Is Rainbow Dash paid by some sort of organisation to handle the weather in PonyVille?

jogarrr

Say what you will about Dash, but that pony knows how to live in style:

j36oPm.png

(So she's not the worst pony. She's above Fluttershy anyways..)

Foxix said:
She's a pony who's magical talent is locating rare and valuable gems for free. There was hardly a need for her to charge anything for materials aside from fabric. I'm willing to bet she's so loaded that it's hardly worth it for her to even charge her friends for that.
I don't think she's that well off. She's mentioned wanting to move to . . . Canterlot or whatever the place where the high class live, but she hasn't yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it's because she can't afford to.

Foxix said:
Yes I will.
I probably would, too.

OMG Aero

ChuckNoLuck said:
It's pointless ignoring somepony if they are just immediately quoted in the next post. I give up.
Good, ignoring people because you don't like what they say is not the pony way. Friendship is magic.

Foxix said:
With how abundant gems are, I don't think they have any value in the ponycomony beyond looking shiny and being dragon food. Either that or Rarity is the richest pony in the entire show.

mazeedibeedi said:
Interesting point brought up. How do ponies make a living in PonyVille, aside from Pinkie Pie, Applejack and Rarity?
Is Twilight subsidised by Celestia? Do ponies leave their pets for Fluttershy to take care of? Is Rainbow Dash paid by some sort of organisation to handle the weather in PonyVille?
I imagine taking care of animals and managing the weather are government jobs, while Twilight lives off tuition fees.

Foxix Von

I'm still super curious about the mechanics of a cloud house. I mean everything you have in terms of furniture, utensils, tools/whatever would all have to be built out of clouds right? They make it pretty clear that only pegasus ponies can actually manipulate and reside in clouds and any sort of object or mass outside of that weird little pocket just falls right through.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Foxix said:
I'm still super curious about the mechanics of a cloud house. I mean everything you have in terms of furniture, utensils, tools/whatever would all have to be built out of clouds right? They make it pretty clear that only pegasus ponies can actually manipulate and reside in clouds and any sort of object or mass outside of that weird little pocket just falls right through.
Rainbow Dash is a truly free pony. Free of possessions, lives off the land (sky), it's only when with friends is that she is with others.
jogarrr said:
There are desks and magnifying glasses in Cloudsdale:
They could be made from hail/snow or what have you.

Foxix Von

jogarrr said:
There's desks and lamps in Cloudsdale:

OH snap you're right. Like I said I'm really curious how that works. So can materials actually interact with the cloud if willed to to do by a pegasus then or.... what? And how are those lamps receiving power?

jogarrr

n8BitMan said:
They could be made from hail/snow or what have you.

Edited in a second pic. The magnifying glass looks like metal. The desk looks like ice/snow though. Maybe ice/snow can rest on clouds and other objects can rest on that.

mazeedibeedi said:
But explain this blasphemy?
urd0hm.png

Fluttershy is awesome, but she becomes much less awesome the more outspoken she becomes. My favorite Fluttershy moment was the little squeaks in the first episode. It was all downhill from there. She's at the bottom of the mane six for me. No contest.

Foxix Von

OMG Aero said:
With how abundant gems are, I don't think they have any value in the ponycomony beyond looking shiny and being dragon food. Either that or Rarity is the richest pony in the entire show.

Despite them seeming common, I would imagine they're pretty valuable. The gems are essentially what sets Rarity's dresses apart from the competition in terms of quality right? It's also possible that the diamond dogs episode just takes place in an extremely rare and large deposit of gemstones.

EDIT:^ actually that would make sense in the second picture the metal magnifying glass is actually mounted on a pole of ice protruding from the cloud. It's safe to assume then that most of that furniture/desks are actually mounted on ice then which isn't affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom