• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nishastra

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
Great Celestia fanart or greatest Celestia fanart?
It's either that or this.

QegtQ.png

That is amazing Celestia, and another amazing Celestia, and I love the personality in Spitfire.

What one hand taketh away in social acceptance, the other hand blesses with badass fanart.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
At least the fanart so far have coloring style that works. Some styles that usually involve shiny coloring etc. would ruin the ponies, making them look like ponies in latex/ponies made of plastic.

Nishastra

Banned
Menmanelf said:
If anyone could offer any tips based on this one (ignoring hair/tail please :p) would be very grateful, thanks.
Aww, but I love the crazy hair :p

Let's see... the legs are a bit short and the ear is too big/not distinct enough. It starts too low, and makes the head look bulbous.

Oh, and the body should curve up slightly from the front to the rear between the legs. The belly needs to make sense where it meets the curve of the flank.

Also, the... knee (not sure what to call it properly) on the hind legs is a bit too pronounced.

That's everything I noticed, and they're all pretty minor things. Keep it up!

Ookami-kun said:
At least the fanart so far have coloring style that works. Some styles that usually involve shiny coloring etc. would ruin the ponies, making them look like ponies in latex/ponies made of plastic.
Yeah, like the one with Pinkie sitting in a chair stroking Gummy. It looks weird.

Next time there's Pony related drama outside of this thread, would anyone mind taking screens? The posts are deleted when a mod goes through and cleans up so I usually miss things like this, it would be interesting to see them.

Also, I'm impressed with the speed you guys are maintaining. I swear this thread's moving faster now than when Season 1 was airing and I don't see it slowing any time soon.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Ookami-kun said:
Yeah, I've seen some people attempt that with ponies. It just looks wrong.

I was bored so I came up with thread titles we could use in the Season 2 |OT|.
"My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 2 |OT| Jenga approved"
or
"My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 2 |OT| Of Bronies & Men"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
meltingparappa said:
I say change it, and I hope you never run out of ripped birds to use as avatars in the meantime.

But then people would say it's a generic furry art (when in fact it's from Chip and Dale) O:

And I'll see if I can salvage some XD

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Menmanelf said:
Been a bit busy recently, as well as all the high quality fan art the community produces has made it hard for me to draw anything new, but did today, so anyway link here.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p220/Menelven/MLP stuff/newpracticepony.png

If anyone could offer any tips based on this one (ignoring hair/tail please :p) would be very grateful, thanks.
OK, by items:
- Head shape and muzzle look good.
- Ears are somewhat too large.
- Rump should be a little more rounded and perky, I think.
- The front line on the upper leg, maybe a bit rounder?
- Belly line slopes the wrong way... remember gravity.

If you need some inspiration to get better, try to find some "year-by-year evolution" art compilations that some artists were making some years ago. Some amazing artists started out no better than you, and you're already way better than you were when you began. Keep it up. :)

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
mazeedibeedi said:
or

"My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 2 |OT| Yes, we're buck!"
"My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 2 |OT| Your night mare begins here"

tiff

Banned
mazeedibeedi said:
or
My Little Pony: FiM S2 |OT| "I felt sorry for the ponies, not at all for the people. But I felt sorry for the ponies right up until the end."

Nishastra

Banned
I'm happy with it just being totally straight, Friendship is Magic Season 2.

Even the best of lame pun thread titles gets old, and I'm not a fan of thread titles that are totally nonsensical to anyone not already "in on it" :p

n8

Unconfirmed Member
mazeedibeedi said:
Why don't you think of something better? :p
I still think if this becomes the only off topic thread that became a community something along the lines of |OT| back from the everfree community.

n8BitMan said:
I still think if this becomes the only off topic thread that became a community something along the lines of |OT| back from the everfree community.
I agree. I can't think of anything except for "Don't Stop Belle Eve'ing" and that is downright terrible :p

NEO0MJ

n8BitMan said:

I say this is the best |OT| title, for now.

Menmanelf said:
Been a bit busy recently, as well as all the high quality fan art the community produces has made it hard for me to draw anything new, but did today, so anyway link here.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p220/Menelven/MLP stuff/newpracticepony.png

People beat me to the punch on other tips, but here's one I found examples for.

The neck is a bit thin. It's hard to see since it's covered by hair, but the back of the neck tends to be a straight almost vertical line connected to the widest part of the head. When a pony is looking forward, the back of it's head shouldn't bulge out past the neck.

I think this image shows what I mean. Never mind the text.

When the head leans forward, the neck line curves more, but is still connected to the widest part of the head.
fzI4b.jpg

McNum

It's 20,000 posts per thread, right? I think we'll hit thread 2, but not get to a third before the season starts. We still have a little over 6000 posts to go and slightly more than 6 months to do it, right? 1000 posts a month? That's plausible, even if we don't have new episodes to discuss. 26,000 posts in the same time? That's not likely.

I wonder, when season 2 hits, do we keep this thread for general purpose ponies, or do we just shift to the season 2 OT?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Abandon the thread, nuke the site from orbit just to be sure.

Don't make the same mistake Rock Band GAF did. At one point, there were three separate threads, all of which were full of spam and off-topic discussion. Around E3 last year was when EvilLore decided to bring down the banhammer and make new rules.

Calpain

OMG Aero said:
Welcome to the thread! It's nice to see someone actually signed up because of this thread, someone should hook you up with an avatar.
I would really appreciate it! If I remember correctly, the thread had a bank of avatars people could use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom