• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

jogarrr

Myke Greywolf said:
meltingparappa pony

n3dK4m.jpg

OMG Aero

Ark said:
Is the synctube thing in 3 hours?
Yep, it's 2 hours 10 minutes as of time of this post, here's the time conversion link again. I'm going to stop banging on about it now so this will be the last time I post about it until we start at 11:15pm BST and again we have about 10 minutes of videos before we start in case anyone is a bit late.
Myke Greywolf said:
Here's the first of a series, hopefully:

http://i.imgur.com/D5Hjk.png

I'm really trying to stick as much as possible to the show style, and I'd really like some constructive criticism, if people could be bothered. :)
Great job! I agree with what McNum said earlier though, maybe the line on the nose shouldn't be concave as it looks a bit weird compared to the characters from the show. I'm guessing it was a bit too gruesome to have the pony partially melting?
Can't wait to see the rest!

OMG Aero said:
If you were an awesome person who watched the last episode stream last week that was the first thing we watched, and if you tune in tonight I have two more of Bufbaf's songs cued up.
I've only been to one stream, the finale, then I went on a hiatus from ponies for a while. I'll most definitely be in tonight.

:)

Negator

Anyone able to find some awesome wallpapers for their phone? My EVO has a resolution of 960x800 but I can't think of something to use.

OMG Aero

Negator said:
Anyone able to find some awesome wallpapers for their phone? My EVO has a resolution of 960x800 but I can't think of something to use.
I use cropped versions of crappyunicorn's canterlot pictures on my iPod and think they look pretty good, here are some in your resolution so you can see what they look like on your phone:

I keep hearing this a lot on PonyGaf. What exactly happened in the Rock Band |OT| and why is PonyGaf being compared to that?
Also there's this other thread that keeps getting thrown around, but I can't remember what its called. Something about personalised anime characters being drawn for members of said thread?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mazeedibeedi said:
I keep hearing this a lot on PonyGaf. What exactly happened in the Rock Band |OT| and why is PonyGaf being compared to that?
Also there's this other thread that keeps getting thrown around, but I can't remember what its called. Something about personalised anime characters being drawn for members of said thread?
dunno about rockband, but infinitenine did personalized anime drawing in one of the seasonal anime threads. nothing bad came of it.

Pandaman said:
dunno about rockband, but infinitenine did personalized anime drawing in one of the seasonal anime threads. nothing bad came of it.
Oh cool. Thanks. I just looked up the RockBand Thread and it exceeded 140,000 posts o_O
Was the 20,000 post per thread added recently?

mazeedibeedi said:
Was the 20,000 post per thread added recently?
After the World Cup, where the huge activity in that thread and in a Gaming side megathread were causing server problems.

When threads get too big, they screw up the server somehow, IIRC.

OMG Aero

Okay, now is the time that I said I would start the synchtube but does anyone mind if I start in 5-10 minutes? There are still 3 countries left to announce their results in Eurovision and I have a bet with some friends about the winner.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Hey, Myke.

If it's not too much to ask, Shanadeus was wondering if you would consider making a Transhumanist
Transequine, lol
pony for him.

:3

Edit: Cool vid Darte!

akira28

meltingparappa said:
TL;DR:
Here is unofficial rarity fanart (if you are extremely tired and squint your eyes)
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll4omhuk7O1qhyhwto1_500.jpg

6gtno.png

is this you or do you know who did this?

This is the most sexy-awesome thing I've seen here ever. I would buy a comic of this, maybe the premise: all the ponies getting transformed into humans by an evil trixie and having to defeat her to return to normal.
Or really I just want to see a Twilight Sparkle done like this.

But no, seriously, if all the humanPonying were as quality as this, with shipping to a minimum, just damn. No creepy-factor at all. Just smexy super spy awesome. That's my Rarity.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Thanks for all the input guys. Now, I'm going to redo it until it is perfect. And when it is perfect, I'm going to do all the others using what I've learned. :)

Pandaman said:
this too.

if you have access to illustrator, i think it has a tool that will scan an image and draw paths along lines, so you could still use sketches, but then use the pentool for your lines on the final image.

or if you have a tablet, just use pentools period.

Oh, you mean I have to use curves on every single outline of the drawing?

Oh well. I guess I should be using Inkscape a lot more, then.

I have a Wacom Graphire 3 tablet, but the way I hold a pen makes it almost impossible to me to draw precisely on it. That is something that I regret much.

Pandaman said:
CC:
-his snout seems a tad tapered compared to most male MLPony characters, but thats more of a design choice than a visual flaw.
Well, I said I was trying to stay close to the show style, but that wasn't entirely true. I tried to get the male model a little closer to the cuter female model, because it is... err... cuter.

McNum said:
You're using concave curves on soft parts of the pony. The show doesn't do that. Only use convex curves on soft tissue like pony fur and skin. Look at the pony's snout, it curves inwards, it really should have a very gentle outward curve.

It's a basic animation trick, once you start noticing it (like the blue/orange contrast) you'll see it everywhere. Only use concave lines when you want something to look sharp, artificial or otherworldly, never on creatures. Unless you're making an eXtrme artstyle. Like Loonatics. Which My Little Pony most definitely isn't. Even the unicorn horns curve outwards, even if they're supposed to be hard. It's really only beaks and claws you can do concave curves on, since they're supposed to be sharp.
I see what you mean, and I'll definitely give more attention to those details. Does it count that I was trying to make the nose look closer to the standard female form? That one definitely has a concave curve going on.

CHEEZMO™ said:
Hey, Myke.

If it's not too much to ask, Shanadeus was wondering if you would consider making a Transhumanist
Transequine, lol
pony for him.

:3
Will do!

meltingparappa said:
So what image would you like a return favor to be based on, Myke?
What do you mean?

OMG Aero

Thanks for watching again everyone.
In case anyone missed the stream and wants to watch the same intermissions and episodes we did, I've set up the second room to play the same playlist we just watched.
Since Synchtube now supports a poll system, I'm going to do a poll for each episode so we can eventually put together a list of GAF's favourite episodes. Here are the results for episodes 1 and 2 with 5 being the highest score and 1 being the lowest:
For episode 1: 3 people voted 5, 11 people voted 4, 2 people voted 3 and no-one voted 2 or 1. Which gives it an average score of 4.06.
For episode 2: 2 people voted 5, 6 people voted 4, 6 people voted 3 and no-one voted 2 or 1. Which gives it an average score of 3.71.

And people in the chat generally agreed that 2 episodes a stream is better than 3, but would you guys prefer to do these classic streams every week (Which would take us up to August 6th if there were no breaks, which there might be) or every fortnight (Which would take us up to the end of October, by which time I'm sure the second season will either be airing or we'll at least know when it will be)?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
OMG Aero said:
And people in the chat generally agreed that 2 episodes a stream is better than 3, but would you guys prefer to do these classic streams every week (Which would take us up to August 6th if there were no breaks, which there might be) or every fortnight (Which would take us up to the end of October, by which time I'm sure the second season will either be airing or we'll at least know when it will be)?
I'm voting for every week, and then simply start all over again :)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Myke Greywolf said:
Oh, you mean I have to use curves on every single outline of the drawing?
tis why i mentioned illustrator, it can draw the curves for you, but most importantly it had a tool tha would sort of smudge and smooth a path. it was very excellent for touchups on your curves before you would ink the lines.

McNum

Myke Greywolf said:
I see what you mean, and I'll definitely give more attention to those details. Does it count that I was trying to make the nose look closer to the standard female form? That one definitely has a concave curve going on.
The default female pony has a convex line for a nose. However, the black line on the inside of the far eye runs all the way to the nose line, making it look concave, because the line leads your eye up the inside of the pony's eye. It looks this way on Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy, at least. That should cover all the eye types.

However, while watching the Synchtube today, I did notice that the show DOES use convex lines on the ponies here and there, but it's for their legs, in particular the front line on the hind legs. Probably to make the legs look like they have that bend that hind legs do on ponies and horses without using too many lines.

But overall, I like your ponies. The proportions seem dead on, and they're plenty expressive. It's just fine tuning here. I'm getting the feeling that these little ponies are a lot tougher to get on model than they look. They look deceptively simple.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Pandaman said:
tis why i mentioned illustrator, it can draw the curves for you, but most importantly it had a tool tha would sort of smudge and smooth a path. it was very excellent for touchups on your curves before you would ink the lines.
I see. I only have access to Inkscape, but it too has a handy bitmap to vector tool. However, I must first learn about the path smoothing options.

Laying the curves over sketch manually is time-consuming, but kind of fun when you get used to it. :)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Myke Greywolf said:
I see. I only have access to Inkscape, but it too has a handy bitmap to vector tool. However, I must first learn about the path smoothing options.

Laying the curves over sketch manually is time-consuming, but kind of fun when you get used to it. :)
to be completely honest, i tried it once and it was too much work for me, so i cant agree with the fun part. xD

but the friend i had who was teaching me did some wonderful lineart with that pen tool. alot of the clannad redraws you'll find on the internet belonged to him. :p i could never do more than paper and pencil or forum signatures. -.-

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The second marathon broke :(. However we did have someone come in to try and troll us and we tolerated and loved the shit out of him. He actually said he felt bad and started to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom