• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

jogarrr

OxbDXm.jpg

You know you love Scootaloo deep down inside.

I want a full episode based around Scoot and Dash. It's gotta happen at some point. I'm expecting an episode like that in S2.

In non-Scootaloo related pony news, Amazon is on to me!

GpbjLm.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
jogarrr said:
Same. Tera does have a point that the characters become pointless if they ever get their cutie marks so it'll never happen.

Apple Bloom was a pretty significant character in Bridle Gossip and cutie marks weren't mentioned once.

I think Apple Bloom and Scootaloo are developed enough that they can survive the show with their cutie marks. They just need to develop Sweetie Belle more.

(full color version on click through)
I think this concept was funnier in my head than it turned out...
I couldn't get the frame rate how I wanted it, I wish I had Andrew Hussie's power of the jittering gif.

jogarrr

^ She will haunt my nightmares tonight.

ZealousD said:
Apple Bloom was a pretty significant character in Bridle Gossip and cutie marks weren't mentioned once.

I think Apple Bloom and Scootaloo are developed enough that they can survive the show with their cutie marks. They just need to develop Sweetie Belle more.
I see what you mean, you do make a good point with Bridle Gossip. And I mentioned above that I would like to see a Dash/Scoot episode which could also be unrelated to cutie marks. I think you're correct that they could get their cutie marks and still 'survive'.

The way I see it, they're meant to be the 'kids' characters of the show, playing around and stuff. Their lack of cutie marks gives them a purpose to their episodes. I just feel that obtaining their cutie marks would likely make them a more insignificant part of the show, unworthy of starring in their own episodes (which many bronies would love). They could still exist in episodes like Bridle Gossip but without their quest to find their cutie marks they're just kinda weaker versions of their big sisters/idols.

Not that they can't exist without their cutie marks, I just think they're better without them. Of course, I hardly have the creativity and imagination that the developers of MLPFIM have and I'm confident they will do an awesome job wherever the show takes the characters.

ZealousD

jogarrr said:
I see what you mean, you do make a good point with Bridle Gossip. And I mentioned above that I would like to see a Dash/Scoot episode which could also be unrelated to cutie marks. I think you're correct that they could get their cutie marks and still 'survive'.

The way I see it, they're meant to be the 'kids' characters of the show, playing around and stuff. Their lack of cutie marks gives them a purpose to their episodes. I just feel that obtaining their cutie marks would likely make them a more insignificant part of the show, unworthy of starring in their own episodes (which many bronies would love). They could still exist in episodes like Bridle Gossip but without their quest to find their cutie marks they're just kinda weaker versions of their big sisters/idols.

Not that they can't exist without their cutie marks, I just think they're better without them. Of course, I hardly have the creativity and imagination that the developers of MLPFIM have and I'm sure they will do an awesome job wherever the show takes the characters.

I think the CMCs are in this show partly for the creators to engage girls on the level of what it is like to grow up and the problems and trials they will experience doing so. Finding out what it is you want to do with your life is just one part of that puzzle. There are many other experiences that kids go through.

A post-cutie-mark Scootaloo episode may talk to girls about sibling relationships or what it's like being an only child. A post-cutie-mark Apple Bloom episode might talk to girls about desiring to become more independent. And depending on where they end up taking Sweetie Belle, they could address any other number of things. And in all these cases, they can tie it all back to the show's central theme of friendship.

McNum

ZealousD said:
I think the CMCs are in this show partly for the creators to engage girls on the level of what it is like to grow up and the problems and trials they will experience doing so. Finding out what it is you want to do with your life is just one part of that puzzle. There are many other experiences that kids go through.

A post-cutie-mark Scootaloo episode may talk to girls about sibling relationships or what it's like being an only child. A post-cutie-mark Apple Bloom episode might talk to girls about desiring to become more independent. And depending on where they end up taking Sweetie Belle, they could address any other number of things. And in all these cases, they can tie it all back to the show's central theme of friendship.
Plus there's a great story about jealousy lurking right below the surface if one CMC gets her cutie mark earlier than the other two. Will she still be welcomed by the Crusaders? Classic character conflict there, and some good character development possibilities both by having the CMC who earned her mark keep trying to help the others and for them to get over being jealous. It's a concept I really hope they use, they have the writers to pull it off, preferably before it gets old to see the CMC try something and fail at it repeatedly.

Also, prediction time: The Crusader who gets her mark first won't actually notice it when she does. Like Twilight, she'll have to get it pointed out. It'll leave some mystery open for the other two still.

ZealousD

McNum said:
Plus there's a great story about jealousy lurking right below the surface if one CMC gets her cutie mark earlier than the other two. Will she still be welcomed by the Crusaders? Classic character conflict there, and some good character development possibilities both by having the CMC who earned her mark keep trying to help the others and for them to get over being jealous. It's a concept I really hope they use, they have the writers to pull it off, preferably before it gets old to see the CMC try something and fail at it repeatedly.

Yeah that's another good one. I refuse to believe that the writers of this show are incapable of handling the crusaders beyond their cutie mark quest. Just because that's how these characters are defined NOW doesn't mean that they can't grow into something more.

If anything threatens the viability of these characters, it's not giving them cutie marks. Honestly, how long could they keep tugging that string without resolution?

McNum

ZealousD said:
Yeah that's another good one. I refuse to believe that the writers of this show are incapable of handling the crusaders beyond their cutie mark quest. Just because that's how these characters are defined NOW doesn't mean that they can't grow into something more.

If anything threatens the viability of these characters, it's not giving them cutie marks. Honestly, how long could they keep tugging that string without resolution?
Yeah, we don't want them to end up like the Trix rabbit. Just give him the damn cereal, already. It's just breakfast. I'm thinking Sweetie Belle would be the first to get it, really. Why? Because she's probably just one power-solo away from getting a music note mark as it is. Apple Bloom has been close a couple of times, too. How she managed to NOT get her mark when restoring that treehouse from ruin to awesome in less than a day is a mystery. Scootaloo? I have no idea. It's going to be something physical, and she's pretty good at the scooter, too. I'm thinking as soon as she learns to fly properly, her mark will be close behind.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Scootaloo is hella cute, but she's dumb as a post - much dumber than either Sweetie Belle or Apple Bloom. The thing is, the writers make it so that her being so dumb is a big part of what we're supposed to find adorable in her. We're supposed to go, "awww, isn't that adorable, she's missing the painfully obvious again!". Of course, this doesn't work with certain fans, who end up only finding her aggravating. I'm in between: I like her design and her fangirl gimmick, but her dumbness irritates me.

CHEEZMO™ said:
stayinonethread.jpg
Good advice right here.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Myke Greywolf said:
Scootaloo is hella cute, but she's dumb as a post - much dumber than either Sweetie Belle or Apple Bloom. The thing is, the writers make it so that her being so dumb is a big part of what we're supposed to find adorable in her. We're supposed to go, "awww, isn't that adorable, she's missing the painfully obvious again!". Of course, this doesn't work with certain fans, who end up only finding her aggravating. I'm in between: I like her design and her fangirl gimmick, but her dumbness irritates me.

She's more on track to finding her Cutie Mark than the others I think

Darte

Ya'll don't realize when Hasbro has been secretly planning to make CMC + a few other fillies, that'll appear in the later seasons, the next generation of MLP.

vhkxj.jpg

MLP: Adventure is magic?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Captain Fish said:
What bothers me is the pouty, sexy pose that Twilight is supposed to be making in that picture. I feel like you should be accenting the characterizations of the show, not ditching them.

That's only Jay Naylor being his usual disingenuous self. That's the go-to pose when you want to show a nerdy character as sexy without actually having her actually assume her sexiness. Screw that man.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
thats pretty cool, hopefully he's not scared for life when he's serve a decapitated dino head on his birthday.

but seriously, you're a pretty badass parent

First of all, awesome cake. You rock!

Myke Greywolf said:
Scootaloo is hella cute, but she's dumb as a post - much dumber than either Sweetie Belle or Apple Bloom. The thing is, the writers make it so that her being so dumb is a big part of what we're supposed to find adorable in her. We're supposed to go, "awww, isn't that adorable, she's missing the painfully obvious again!".
I totally agree. Here's some evidence.
Scootaloo said:
Ugh! These namby-pamby stories aren't getting us any closer to our cutie marks! They're all about finding who you really are and boring stuff like that.
This line soured me on the CMC a lot, because:
1. It doesn't make any sense after their theme song.
2. If they're still struggling with the basics, it implies that they won't ever stop being CMC and grow up.
3. For Scootaloo specifically, it plays up her "cool kid" angle in a way that's not endearing. More rock ballads and x-treme sports please.

After going back and watching their episodes, I see that line as how to write Scootaloo and the CMC poorly. I'm sure the CMC's characterizations will get solidified and more interesting in season 2. I'm hoping they do eventually give them their marks, mostly because I'm wondering how Applebloom's family will take her not being an apple farmer by trade. I'm also waiting for the inevitable musical episode once Sweetie Belle gets her mark. With the amount of singing that occurs around regular ponies, you know a musical based pony is gonna get even more.

Jintor

Ark said:
Why do the human ponies always look ...weird? :(

Because that's goddamn Jay Naylor, furry artist extraordinaire.

The other reason is probably that a variety of artists with a huge variety of styles are trying out their hand at this whole humanising thing

tiff

Banned
Jintor said:
Because that's goddamn Jay Naylor, furry artist extraordinaire.

The other reason is probably that a variety of artists with a huge variety of styles are trying out their hand at this whole humanising thing
I'd wonder how someone of his talent could actually be recognizable, but I guess that's the nature of furry artists.

Jintor

tiff said:
I'd wonder how someone of his talent could actually be recognizable, but I guess that's the nature of furry artists.

Recognizable or well-known?

Recognition is easy, his style is pretty distinct. Fame is just a matter of networking.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Jintor said:
Recognizable or well-known?

Recognition is easy, his style is pretty distinct. Fame is just a matter of networking.
He's apparently some kind of legend on the furry scene, and I think it has been that way for some years now. He's not only a very prolific smut artist, but he's also supposedly infamous among the furry crowd for the way he pushes his objectivist politic views on his webcomics.

When I bumped into this attempt of his, I immediately recognized his style (I followed his webcomic for a while before becoming irked at all the blatant Randism and his obvious inability to make his characters convey emotion, even though his cartoony style should make it quite easy). It just seemed to me to be an obvious attempt at attention whorism through bandwagon jumping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom