• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

Pandaman said:
dont be mad he joined the winning team.

he makes pony humans, so human ponies and dolphin ponies is a natural next step.

it's settled.

dolphin ponies > human ponies

so good. this is a real dolphin. real.

OMG Aero

Myke Greywolf said:
No problem at all; When I started doing them I wasn't expecting people to start using them as avatars, anyway. Are you OK with me posting the whole pic in other sites?
Of course, post it wherever you want.
Nice picture, but you really missed an opportunity to make her a narwhal or at least give her the horn.

OMG Aero

oh god oh god oh god
NdfPh.gif

Proving that Equestria Daily has a purpose outside of fan fiction, they put up a post today saying they got an email from the Hub containing a 90 second version of Equestria Girls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTPqjKk_xCo
In the video they even refer to the bronies and call Vinyl Scratch DJ Pon-3 which is the stage name that fans gave her.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
mazeedibeedi said:
Hmm.... I think it was a good choice to make Twilight look like a dolphin and not some weird quasi dol/pony. That's where a lot of artists trip up.
As for the other species of dolphins, I'm not sure. This look pretty good. Maybe the dragons on the show could be Killer whales or an entirely different species.
Well, I do like some kinds of anthro art, but I do know that it is extremely difficult to pull it off without making it look creepy, so I'm not willing to do any kind of hybrid. Besides, as Dr Forester said, it's much more interesting to try to extract only the general likeness and personality traits of the character, independently of species, and translate it to an entirely different species, maintaining it all inside the cartoon realm. That's what I tried to capture here. I chose Delphinus Delphis because its skin color pattern is interesting enough to allow for a lot of variations, and the color transition above the eyes makes for a perfect eyebrow. :)

If I do other characters like this, I want Celestia to be an orca. ;)

OMG Aero said:
oh god oh god oh god
NdfPh.gif

Proving that Equestria Daily has a purpose outside of fan fiction, they put up a post today saying they got an email from the Hub containing a 90 second version of Equestria Girls.
In the video they even refer to the bronies and call Vinyl Scratch DJ Pon-3 which is the stage name that fans gave her.
OMGOMGOMGOMG BRONIES SHOUT-OUT :D
Myke Greywolf said:
Well, I do like some kinds of anthro art, but I do know that it is extremely difficult to pull it off without making it look creepy, so I'm not willing to do any kind of hybrid.
Thats my main gripe with anthro art, particularly human ponies. Some pieces are excellent that capture the essence of the characters perfectly, while others trip up and invent a whole new creepy.
Myke Greywolf said:
Besides, as Dr Forester said, it's much more interesting to try to extract only the general likeness and personality traits of the character, independently of species, and translate it to an entirely different species, maintaining it all inside the cartoon realm. That's what I tried to capture here. I chose Delphinus Delphis because its skin color pattern is interesting enough to allow for a lot of variations, and the color transition above the eyes makes for a perfect eyebrow. :)

If I do other characters like this, I want Celestia to be an orca. ;)
If you could do that with the others you're gonna draw then you have set a new bar of awesome for yourself :)
All the best for your future drawings

OMG Aero said:
oh god oh god oh god
NdfPh.gif

Perfect gif to show my reaction. Loving it so much.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
OMG Aero said:
oh god oh god oh god
NdfPh

Oh.
My.
Celestia.

That was fantastic.

ThreeSix said:
How does a dolphin read underwater without ruining the books though?

Obviously through son...magic.

Ark

OMG Aero said:
oh god oh god oh god
NdfPh.gif

I can't wait for Season 2! Hopefully we get a bunch of Brony shoutouts.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is this thread in purgatory?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ark said:
I can't wait for Season 2! Hopefully we get a bunch of Brony shoutouts.

Oh I hope not. Not anything blatant anyways.

First rule in making something. Don't pander to the fanboys, they're idiots.

Ark

DrForester said:

First rule in making something. Don't pander to the fansboys, they're idiots.

Subtle ones of course, like Belle Eve hehe.

ThreeSix said:
I have not seen the guy who we helped out with that since we did that. The blog it was posted on doesn't have an update saying she read it as far as I can see either.
I sent him a PM a few weeks ago but he didn't reply. Odd.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
DrForester said:

First rule in making something. Don't pander to the fanboys, they're idiots.

Wise words.

I was really worried when rumors of Derpy being a fully voiced character were coming out. Luckily the author was just referring to animation sheets and the fact that she could be a character if they wanted.

2th

Banned
OMG Aero said:
oh god oh god oh god
NdfPh.gif

that is quite possibly the greatest thing EVER

also need to somehow get Belle Eve in season 2. have we ever figured this one out?

Negator

OMG Aero said:
oh god oh god oh god
NdfPh.gif

...Holy shit! This is indescribably awesome beyond words...it's...beautiful...

Calpain

OMG Aero said:
oh god oh god oh god
NdfPh.gif

Heh, saw this before I went uptown to do some errands. Absolutely loved it, had me smiling the whole time. Great to see nods not only from the show's production team but now nods from the network as well.

This makes me wonder that now that it seems certain that Hasbro knows about us I wonder if our chances of some good merchandise being in the pipeline has increased?

McNum

Calpain said:
Heh, saw this before I went uptown to do some errands. Absolutely loved it, had me smiling the whole time. Great to see nods not only from the show's production team but now nods from the network as well.

This makes me wonder that now that it seems certain that Hasbro knows about us I wonder if our chances of some good merchandise being in the pipeline has increased?
We can hope. I like to note that this music video was sent to Equestria Daily at first. ED has never held back on posting Youtube or download links for the episodes, which from most companies would earn you a Cease and Desist. Instead they get a music video.

One has to wonder, though... The Youtube'd episodes. Are they left up because the Hub got a massive ratings spike on the show when the uploads began? I'd imagine that the Youtube episodes did a wonder for making the show into an internet phenomenon, which can only have been good for the Hub's transmissions as well. Don't mess with a winning, if unorthodox, formula? Or is it just Hasbro grinning at the prospects of selling more plastic ponies?

I don't know, food for thought at least.

careksims

OMG Aero said:
oh god oh god oh god
NdfPh.gif

OH FUCK YES. MY MIND EXPLODED way more than it can count. This made my world.

Calpain

McNum said:
We can hope. I like to note that this music video was sent to Equestria Daily at first. ED has never held back on posting Youtube or download links for the episodes, which from most companies would earn you a Cease and Desist. Instead they get a music video.

One has to wonder, though... The Youtube'd episodes. Are they left up because the Hub got a massive ratings spike on the show when the uploads began? I'd imagine that the Youtube episodes did a wonder for making the show into an internet phenomenon, which can only have been good for the Hub's transmissions as well. Don't mess with a winning, if unorthodox, formula? Or is it just Hasbro grinning at the prospects of selling more plastic ponies?

I don't know, food for thought at least.

This has been something I've been chewing over as well. I believe they do leave the videos up as they are a great source of free advertising and the main point of the show was to promote a merchandising line so it isn't meant to be a huge source of revenue by itself I believe. It also gives people exposure to the Hub which many of us wouldn't have even checked out if it wasn't for the show.

One thing I can see Hasbro doing which worries me a little is that they might start taking the videos down once they start releasing DVDs/Blu-ray of the first season. While I understand they want to make money, having the episodes up on Youtube is the best way to get people to try out a show they are already skeptical about. I know I probably would not have gone out of my way to find episodes of MLP:FiM if they weren't easily viewed on Youtube.

The best system I can think of would be to allow the first season (or at least 1/4 to 1/2 of them) to remain up on Youtube either through fans or an official Hub or Hasbro channel. That way the fandom can continue linking the curious to the episodes and growing the fanbase. I'm not bothered by thoughts of what they would do with season 2 episodes because I can find them through other channels since I'm a fan, but I really think leaving at least some season 1 episodes up would be a good move by Hasbro.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
McNum said:

Hopefully they're embracing the BBC's "We could care less" stance. I know the producers and cast of Top Gear have called out one of the more popular Top Gear blogs that posts download links minutes after the UK airings.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Are there any news about a boxset?
DrForester said:
Hopefully they're embracing the BBC's "We could care less" stance. I know the producers and cast of Top Gear have called out one of the more popular Top Gear blogs that posts download links minutes after the UK airings.
Izn3L.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom