• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Friendship Is Magic is fucking adorable. I started talking to my gf about it and showed her some videos on youtube.

Now my nickname is Pony.
fml.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mescalineeyes said:
I think Friendship Is Magic is fucking adorable. I started talking to my gf about it and showed her some videos on youtube.

Now my nickname is Pony.
fml.
that sounds terrible, you could be an applejack or a pinkiepie an you wont know if its awesome or insulting without further clarification!

I had not realized you had joined the herd, mesc.

Chuck

Still without luck
mescalineeyes said:

Now my nickname is Pony.
fml.
xhOZt.gif

McNum

Okay, just to go against the grain and actually talk about the show for a second... I had a flash of Fridge Brilliance when I was bored on a bus today.

Luna. Why isn't she at the Grand Galloping Gala? Because that event was advertised as "The Best Night EVER!", yet Princess Celestia is tied up in meet and greet all night. So who's running the skies? Who else would have the ability to make the best night ever? Princess Luna.

It's also a very Batman Princess Celestia thing to do. Throw a massive party, advertise it as The Best Night Ever and hand over the keys to the sky to Luna for the night. Ponies shunning and sleeping through the night? No, they're holding a massive party. How's that for an ego-booster after a thousand years of isolation and resentment? No way Luna would mess up this opportunity to show that she can make an awesome night.

Celestia's Grand Galloping Gala plan just got a little bit more sneaky than just sabotaging her own party with the main cast. She really did make the best night ever, as in the night itself was pretty awesome thanks to her little sister.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
but show canon has established that the particularities of weather in any given location is under the control of the Pegasus and not the godmares. There would be no difference to lunas or celestias work in contributing to a clear warm night with a full moon vs a dark and stormy night.

although its possible that magic can exhibit some control over weather systems outside the ever-free forest, i don't think we've ever seen any evidence to that, with the possible exception of the fog that appeared when rainbow dash was tempted by the dark wonderbolts. that might have been nightmare moon controlling the weather, but it also might not as it would have been superflous to moons attempt to compromise the spirit of loyalty. none of the other ponies could have safely reached dash fog or not. she was the only one capable and brave enough to fly over the chasm.

McNum

Pandaman said:
but show canon has established that the particularities of weather in any given location is under the control of the Pegasus and not the godmares. There would be no difference to lunas or celestias work in contributing to a clear warm night with a full moon vs a dark and stormy night.
Yes, but Luna doesn't need to know that. Sure, making the best night ever might just consist of organizing the pegasi in advance and making sure the moon looks nice and rises on time, maybe add in a few shooting stars for flavor. It's something Princess Celestia could do easily, but Luna is most likely very rusty at it, considering her 1000 years of imprisonment.

I'm thinking it not so much a something only Luna can do, but more of it being a way Celestia can give a vote of confidence to her little sister. "I'm going to be busy all night, why don't you take care of the sky for the night of the Gala?" Done and done. Operation Gala just got another layer. Have a party, show Twilight and friends how Canterlot High Society works. Use Twilight and friends troll the nobles indirectly. Boost Luna's ego by giving her such an important night to cover.

Princess Celestia has already been shown to be a master plotter, so adding the Luna's confidence layer to the Gala plot is easy for her.

OMG Aero

McNum said:
Okay, just to go against the grain and actually talk about the show for a second... I had a flash of Fridge Brilliance when I was bored on a bus today.

Luna. Why isn't she at the Grand Galloping Gala? Because that event was advertised as "The Best Night EVER!", yet Princess Celestia is tied up in meet and greet all night. So who's running the skies? Who else would have the ability to make the best night ever? Princess Luna.

It's also a very Batman Princess Celestia thing to do. Throw a massive party, advertise it as The Best Night Ever and hand over the keys to the sky to Luna for the night. Ponies shunning and sleeping through the night? No, they're holding a massive party. How's that for an ego-booster after a thousand years of isolation and resentment? No way Luna would mess up this opportunity to show that she can make an awesome night.

Celestia's Grand Galloping Gala plan just got a little bit more sneaky than just sabotaging her own party with the main cast. She really did make the best night ever, as in the night itself was pretty awesome thanks to her little sister.
This brings up the question of whether Luna took control of the moon back when she returned or whether Celestia still handles the sun and moon.
In the intro to the first episode we see that Celestia looked different when both her and Luna ruled together, her wings were smaller and pink and she had a pink mane and tail.
Yo3gU.jpg

After she banished Nightmare Moon and took over control of the moon, she is shown with much bigger wings that are the same colour as her body and she has the same tiara and necklace that she has in the show. (And while we are on the topic of her jewellery, they might be created from the elements of harmony like Twilight's tiara was since Celestia is first shown wearing the tiara when she uses the elements.)
BLjsr.jpg

So what I'd like to know is whether Celestia's change in appearance simply what she looks like when she grew up, or did she get the rainbow hair when she took control of both the sun and moon?

Although obviously it's all possible that Twilight's book is incorrect in the first place.

Pandaman said:
that sounds terrible, you could be an applejack or a pinkiepie an you wont know if its awesome or insulting without further clarification!

I had not realized you had joined the herd, mesc.

I know right!

bronies for life!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i don't think we can feel safe to outright dismiss the myths when twilight herself was able to connect them to emergence of the mare in the moon legend an confirm the name 'nightmare moon' with the dark mare herself.

Yes, but Luna doesn't need to know that. Sure, making the best night ever might just consist of organizing the pegasi in advance and making sure the moon looks nice and rises on time, maybe add in a few shooting stars for flavor. It's something Princess Celestia could do easily, but Luna is most likely very rusty at it, considering her 1000 years of imprisonment.

I'm thinking it not so much a something only Luna can do, but more of it being a way Celestia can give a vote of confidence to her little sister. "I'm going to be busy all night, why don't you take care of the sky for the night of the Gala?" Done and done. Operation Gala just got another layer. Have a party, show Twilight and friends how Canterlot High Society works. Use Twilight and friends troll the nobles indirectly. Boost Luna's ego by giving her such an important night to cover.

Princess Celestia has already been shown to be a master plotter, so adding the Luna's confidence layer to the Gala plot is easy for her.
hmm. it certainly is interesting that the old castle luna was famiiar with was actually in the everfree forest, where nature runs its own course. its possible that at the time of her imprisonment, the idea of regular ponies artificially influencing weather had not yet came about and keeping nights and days clear were a much larger part of a godmares day.

modern Luna could have thought she was contributing perfectly to a beautiful night when it was infact in pegasus control all along. BUT, on the flipside, the fact that equistrian society had not managed to tame the weather during the era of both godmares could suggest that magic is actually incapable of doing the job.

Some more talking about the show: Did anyone notice Fluttershy staring the apples out of the tree at the end of Episode 4? We didn't know about the stare until Stare Masters, yet she was using it as early as Applebuck Season. I love this show's details. It's one of the things that makes me enjoy watching episodes several times.

Neki

Nishastra said:
My continual question is: who wrote these books?

Everyone involved in the book is still alive. Did Celestia write it?

Winners of history get to write the history books, so I guess you know who. It's like if the Nazi's won World War II, except substitute Hitler with Trollestia. Trollestia propaganda basically. All she needs is banners everywhere, with Pegasus ponies keeping ponies in check in Equestria and Phillydelphia.

Dai101

Banned
Hey!! Long time no posting here. So, a new hate thread appeared against the pony fandom, and as usual it derailed in a appreciation thread. Nice ;)

Also, what the hell happened to G-Fex?

Dai101 said:

To hear him tell it, someone here referred to him as 'bipolar' and he attributed that opinion to every member of this thread. So, now we're all jerks by association? I don't really understand the mechanics of it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Captain Fish said:
To hear him tell it, someone here referred to him as 'bipolar' and he attributed that opinion to every member of this thread. So, now we're all jerks by association? I don't really understand the mechanics of it.
probably because you're not bipolar.

2th

Banned
Dai101 said:
Hey!! Long time no posting here. So, a new hate thread appeared against the pony fandom, and as usual it derailed in a appreciation thread. Nice ;)

i was wondering what happened to G-Fex too. his yu gi oh posts were kind of amusing. But if he rages cause someone called him bipolar i have no idea how he will last much longer on the intrawebs if he cant take a simple insult.

Calpain

razgriz417 said:

Pretty half-assed article by Time NewsFeed: low on details and doesn't give an overall view of WHY people like the show. If anything, hopefully it will send more people to the Wired article which explains things a bit better. Also, hopefully with more exposure we might get more people to check out the show so I guess it isn't all bad.

2th

Banned
Calpain said:
Pretty half-assed article by Time NewsFeed: low on details and doesn't give an overall view of WHY people like the show. If anything, hopefully it will send more people to the Wired article which explains things a bit better. Also, hopefully with more exposure we might get more people to check out the show so I guess it isn't all bad.

agreed. also the failure to mention anything besides Equestria Daily is lame. Where is the GAF love? lol

McNum

Dai101 said:
Heh, if there's one thing I've learned from this whole thing, it's how to deal with trolling in a brutally effective and perfectly within the rules way. Love and tolerance works, and it works pretty well. Best of all when it's sincere, and not even counter-trolling.

I tend to try and answer honestly curious questions in threads like that, though. Might as well link them to this thread rather than see a simple question spiral out of control, after all.

Foxix Von

I think that luna had her powers basically stripped from her right? I don't think that she is in control of the moon anymore, or even could if she wanted to.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Foxix said:
HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME.

FUUUUUCK YES!

Sorry I've been busy lately and I missed this post when it was posted. I feel rude for not keeping up but thank you, I FUCKING LOVE THIS. *right click save*

Is this the largest version you made or is there a bigger one hiding out there? Love the cutie mark and the lantern, and the glasses and oohhhh god I'm drowning awesome. The hair works really well too, I had the ends of my hair bleached before I changed my hair and it looked sort of something like that actually.

I wish I could say I'm exaggerating but I'm sitting here just absolutely giddy :D

I'm so glad that you liked it! I was starting to think that you had seen it but decided to keep silent rather than admitting that you didn't like it.

Anyway, as by your request, here's the larger version: http://i.imgur.com/trJke.jpg

And here's the cutie mark:

ih917.png

Foxix Von

OH snap! Thanks, that's fantastic. I'll try and figure out a way to slap that into my avatar in a bit. It's weird having PS on the SLOOOOOOOOOW living computer that I never use anymore haha. I didn't even realize it was posted! I'm sorry it took me so long to notice it, like I said earlier I did that 24 hour gaming marathon which was horribly timed so most of us were actually staying up for like 38 hours straight. I've been too busy sleeping and trying to avoid even looking at another computer screen to browse the thread for a while. You're awesome tribute got stuck in that crazy period of time.

*right click saves everything*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom