• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Mechanical Snowman said:
It's over now, on topic discussion has resumed. I'm glad I slept through it though.

My desk has certainly raised a few questions. I don't care enough to change it.

Shanadeus, I thought Mike was making your avatar, he said so on the last page. Though if he's busy then I don't mind doing it.

Careful brony, bitterness will get you nowhere.

That's an awesome theme. How did you set that up?

Koomaster

FTH said:
But who knows, there's no telling how many types of ponies there are out there!
If it's based on the original series there are also sea ponies (sea horses basically) and flutter ponies - which are smaller and have wings like Rarity's in the Sonic Rainboom episode; translucent and delicate.

If you want to go into the toy line, you've got all kinds of crazy subsets like the 2x fancy ponies, so soft ponies, petites, dream beauties, windy/summer wing, twinkle eye, princess, sweetheart, mermaid, flower fantasy, sparkle, glow, pocket, magic message, sweet berry, perfume, candy cane, etc. The list goes on, don't exactly remember them all like I used to. Needless to say there are a LOT of variations.

They are mostly offshoots of the main types tho; Earth/Pegasus/Unicorn/Water (?), just with their own special look or talent. Like the magic message ponies had cutie marks that changed, or the 2x as fancy ponies had cutie marks which spread all over their bodies. Then you've got the weird ones where the cutie marks are actually extending from their bodies like the pocket ponies which had little items which went inside their cutie marks; or the princess line which had jewels/gold sticking out of their cutie marks.

Trading this
Ug6HT.gif
for this
jsmx2.gif
from the second line 2. And reiterating the fact that Foxix is awesome.

Cheerilee

Enron said:
Notice that He-Man gets the fuck outta there.
How I read it, Optimus and Megatron are doing their usual "epic battle to save the world" thing, and are trying to involve Rarity in their playtime for whatever reason. But Rarity isn't paying attention to either of them, she's staring at He-Man as he walks by, presumably because he's He-Man, and his manliness is off the chart. Optimus and Megatron feel suddenly inadequate, so they change gears, drop the attempts at manliness, and try talking to Rarity about the things she wants to talk about, and find that tactic entirely successful.

Snaku

Banned
Oh cool, you guys got your thread title back. Whipped up a new avatar to show my support for Pony-GAF, and all the hilarious gifs/meme/etc you provide. My sister is a fan of the show, maybe she'll actually get me to watch it one day.

Dai101

Banned
ruby_onix said:
How I read it, Optimus and Megatron are doing their usual "epic battle to save the world" thing, and are trying to involve Rarity in their playtime for whatever reason. But Rarity isn't paying attention to either of them, she's staring at He-Man as he walks by, presumably because he's He-Man, and his manliness is off the chart. Optimus and Megatron feel suddenly inadequate, so they change gears, drop the attempts at manliness, and try talking to Rarity about the things she wants to talk about, and find that tactic entirely successful.

xD!!!!!!! That's a joke rigth?

KtSlime

Apple Sauce said:
Was the character Twilight Sparkle named before the characters from Twilight sparkled?

She seems like the best pony but the name bugs me.

She gets her name Twilight from the original series in the 80's, I don't know why they added the name Sparkle part.

Probably for the sake of episode two, where she says when there's a SPARK with the elements of harmony and blah blah blah, and Twilight just happened to be the SPARK.

It's all wordplay and foreshadow.

Cheerilee

Dai101 said:
xD!!!!!!! That's a joke rigth?
No. Manliness is He-Man's thing. He-Man is synonymous with manliness. His name's been in the dictionary since Hercules and Atlas. He's a bulging pile of muscle in a loincloth.

G-Fex

ruby_onix said:
No. Manliness is He-Man's thing. He-Man is synonymous with manliness. His name's been in the dictionary since Hercules and Atlas. He's a bulging pile of muscle in a loincloth.

They should totally make a new He-man show that kind of parodies his stereotypical manliness.

ruby_onix said:

Haha, I'm pretty sure Optimus and Megatron were pretending to do manly things while He-Man walked past so that he wouldn't hear them talking fashion with Rarity. Awesome comic.

Neki

I'd just be bad as trolls if I judged you guys before I even watched the show. I'll watch it by the end of the week, should be fun (have assignment, midterm and a project due by Saturday :() I haven't actually watched any cartoons seriously since like, I don't even remember, lol. I used to record Pokemon and Digimon on my VHS, good times.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
G-Fex said:
They should totally make a new He-man show that kind of parodies his stereotypical manliness.
Nah, they should just continue with He-Man 200X, so I can watch the Hordak Season :/

Cheerilee

The_Author's_Apprentice said:
Haha, I'm pretty sure Optimus and Megatron were pretending to do manly things while He-Man walked past so that he wouldn't hear them talking fashion with Rarity. Awesome comic.
Oh yeah, that nailed it. I get it now.

The way they were speaking their lines loudly in He-Man's directions, and then the fashion talk not being a timeskip. Totally went over my head.

One Ok Rock

Neo Member
I wonder if GAFs otaku population will now receive less shit from dudebro/douche gaf now you guys are here to pick on...

considering watching this show now god dammit

bananas

Banned
One Ok Rock said:
I wonder if GAFs otaku population will now receive less shit from dudebro/douche gaf now you guys are here to pick on...

No, because you call yourselves Otakus.

KtSlime

One Ok Rock said:

Haha, let's hope we do some good…

BTW, Nice Hatsune Miku, who's the artist?

Oh, and I agree with bananas, you shouldn't use a derogatory term to refer to yourselves...

One Ok Rock

Neo Member
ivedoneyourmom said:
Haha, let's hope we do some good…

BTW, Nice Hatsune Miku, who's the artist?

Oh, and I agree with bananas, you shouldn't use a derogatory term to refer to yourselves...

Otaku is not actually a derogatory term particularly. The word has nothing to do with anime in reality. It means somebody who is obsessed. The western perception of the word means anime fans, some people use it as a derogatory term in much the same way some people like to call gay people gay and think they've just had some amazing victory.

Artist is Ishikei. Don't search for it unless you're happy seeing some nsfw. ^.^

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
One Ok Rock said:

Dude, did you see what was going on in the last few pages of the animu thread? PonyGAF has nothing on AnimuGAF.

KtSlime

One Ok Rock said:
Otaku is not actually a derogatory term particularly. The word has nothing to do with anime in reality. It means somebody who is obsessed. The western perception of the word means anime fans, some people use it as a derogatory term in much the same way some people like to call gay people gay and think they've just had some amazing victory.

Artist is Ishikei. Don't search for it unless you're happy seeing some nsfw. ^.^

俺が日本語話せる、オタクの意味よく分かります. It has a pretty bad reputation in the Japanese language, I am well aware of how it is used in the US, but to most Japanese, otaku is not a very nice thing to call them and most would get offended or at least wide-eyed if you called them such. It has been used by some rather deranged people in the past, and I understand the Japanese desire to distance themselves from the term. I always find it odd when Americans wear it like a proud badge.

Thanks, I've heard of Ishikei before.

One Ok Rock

Neo Member
ivedoneyourmom said:
俺が日本語話せる、オタクの意味よく分かります. It has a pretty bad reputation in the Japanese language, I am well aware of how it is used in the US, but to most Japanese, otaku is not a very nice thing to call them and most would get offended or at least wide-eyed if you called them such. It has been used by some rather deranged people in the past, and I understand the Japanese desire to distance themselves from the term. I always find it odd when Americans wear it like a proud badge.

Thanks, I've heard of Ishikei before.

It's definitely not something you would use in everyday conversation over there, but it is not the same meaning that the average troll over here assigns to it. Personally I don't give a fuck what other people think, but anime fan ~= otaku for me and my friends (and more and more people as time goes on it seems)

Sorry, enough derailing from me. YAY PONIES. :)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ivedoneyourmom said:
I always find it odd when Americans wear it like a proud badge.

"Nerd" and "geek" used to be considered insults. "Otaku" is just following in the fine tradition of turning derogatory words into neutral words.

Jintor

Kirbyguy said:
Probably for the sake of episode two, where she says when there's a SPARK with the elements of harmony and blah blah blah, and Twilight just happened to be the SPARK.

It's all wordplay and foreshadow.

I was under the impression Hasbro lost the rights to most of the original pony names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom