• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furret

Banned
Dina said:
I couldn't bear more then five minutes, but to each his own. Slowly backing away here.

edit: I approve of the animation and the art, mind you. The content is what's so off putting, which is not that strange when it's a show aimed at little girls.

At least you gave it a try and tried to see the positives even when you didn't like it.

That's the pony attitude.

Foxix Von

Let's see...

Pony Avatars! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26458443&postcount=1401 Enjoy! I added about seven more and Snowman's :D

Not A Fur said:
Agreed =) Although, now that you mention it, I -did- like the music in Suited for Success, I'd forgotten about that. And the Winter Wrap Up song has been stuck in my head for a week, after seeing the episode once. I think just have a little self-consciousness to get over wrt goofy music.

I disliked almost all the songs at first, but like seemingly everything else about the show they grew on me. I keep coming back to youtube clips of just the songs and now I wake up with winter wrap up stuck in my head about every other day now haha.

Dina said:
but to each his own.
This right here is the sentiment that I wish was more widely understood and not just where this show is concerned.

And you saw some positives in the experience which is a great way to look at it.

Edit: Damn, Foxix! You've been goin' crazy! Nice job! I'm extremely tempted to take the Ferrarity one. Hm.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
IsayFever said:
Yeah I remember something similar to this, but Snowman has that Fluttershy one so I dont know who it was o.0
It was me, but I switched it for a Fluttershy one, so feel free to use it.

Douchy Trixie is great for quoting!

Oh man, Teh Hamburglar's avatar is killing me.
okWM7.png

Probably explains a lot about Pinkie.

Foxix said:
If you'd like I can blow it up so it's just the emblem without the text.
Nah, it looks good with the text as an avatar. I wanted to get rid of the text for my iPhone because it would just get hidden under the slide bar on the lock screen. Thanks though!

Puddles

Banned
I'm going to watch an episode just to see what you guys are on about. Just smoked a lot of hash, so this should be interesting.

Teh Hamburglar said:
Foxix, what do you use to make those avatars? And what program do you use to obtain the source material?
Took me a while to figure out how to do it myself. I just used the program suggested in the FAQs, GIMP. Then used these addons for fire fox, Video Download Helper and Easy Youtube Video Downloader

Then used some instructions from google like http://www.slideshare.net/Keef21Moon/how-to-make-a-gif-from-a-video-file-using-gimp. Then fooled around with it to get experience. Just remember that the image drop down menu effects the whole gif. The layer drop down menu will only effect the selected layer. Oh and find a free program to convert files to MP4.

Foxix Von

Teh Hamburglar said:
Foxix, what do you use to make those avatars? And what program do you use to obtain the source material?

Well unfortunately I don't have any current means on this computer of converting the MLP videos into gifs. Basically I just scour the internet for hours looking for something funny haha. Which usually just consists of Ponibooru, Ponychan, and a few select forum threads like the one at front row crew and Penny Arcade, then I take everything and add a pinch of googlefu. I then just crop and edit the Pony slurry using an old copy of photoshop for images & imageready 7 for gifs.

I then usually let it sit and cool for a few minutes before serving. Sometimes if they're served too quickly they can burn your tongue.

EDIT: Haha definitely seems like the Doctor has a better approach.

IsayFever

Puddles said:
So the unicorn is telekinetic, and there's a pegasus who can fly. Sucks for the ponies who don't have abilities like that.

Pinkie Pie and Apple Jack are more awesome than the Pegasus / Unicorns. Especially Pinkie Pie!

totowhoa

Banned
Dai101 said:
I'm going to ask you to give it a second chance watching this episodes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHXFj_u6Xus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E2F7E8dCfk

Much better than the one I tried. I watched the one where one of the characters was making outfits for everybody. Quit when the song broke out, although I loved the animation and how the show handled itself. Still not quite up my alley, but I actually enjoyed what I watched here. Makes me find this thread less strange, too :)

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Sklorenz said:
Much better than the one I tried. I watched the one where one of the characters was making outfits for everybody. Quit when the song broke out, although I loved the animation and how the show handled itself. Still not quite up my alley, but I actually enjoyed what I watched here. Makes me find this thread less strange, too :)
Too bad you're not able to stomach the songs, that episode ("Suited of Success") is awesome.

It has been said before in this thread, but the song from that episode is an homage to this musical act by Stephen Sondheim.

Puddles said:
This show is pretty funny sometimes. I would totally watch an ironically cute version with violence and profanity.
*Shrugs* It would probably have its charms, but you can get ironic cuteness elsewhere. Happy Tree Friends, for instance.

The enjoyment of cuteness doesn't always have to be ruled by irony, anyway. The innocence in this show is a big part of what makes it appealing to me.

Furret

Banned
Puddles said:
This show is pretty funny sometimes. I would totally watch an ironically cute version with violence and profanity.

So you'd watch the polar opposite of what the show actually is?

Jintor

FoxSpirit said:
Bah, I must be the only Gaffer who can't take a Pony avatar thanks to his tag >.<

Nope, I can only take avs where someone is on fire, and somebody already took the flaming Twilight av :T

FoxSpirit

Dr. Pangloss said:
Took me a while to figure out how to do it myself. I just used the program suggested in the FAQs, GIMP. Then used these addons for fire fox, Video Download Helper and Easy Youtube Video Downloader

Then used some instructions from google like http://www.slideshare.net/Keef21Moon/how-to-make-a-gif-from-a-video-file-using-gimp. Then fooled around with it to get experience. Just remember that the image drop down menu effects the whole gif. The layer drop down menu will only effect the selected layer. Oh and find a free program to convert files to MP4.

You can also use flashgot, gets the 720p/1080p episodes straight in mp4. One step less.

Foxix Von

You know what if there was one thing I had to complain about it would be the them song. I know it's My Little Pony, but it still somehow manages to be SEVERELY out of place considering what the show is. Anyone else find themselves nearly muting the video once that bad boy kicks in?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Foxix said:
You know what if there was one thing I had to complain about it would be the them song. I know it's My Little Pony, but it still somehow manages to be SEVERELY out of place considering what the show is. Anyone else find themselves nearly muting the video once that bad boy kicks in?

*shrugs* I really think it's quite adequate for what it is. Starts off as a little nostalgia trip, then kicks up to a nicely done theme tune, similar to many other kids shows. Not fantastic, but catchy and not bad at all.

Are you able to pinpoint exactly what irks you about it, or elaborate on what you think it should be?

Foxix Von

Myke Greywolf said:
*shrugs* I really think it's quite adequate for what it is. Starts off as a little nostalgia trip, then kicks up to a nicely done theme tune, similar to many other kids shows. Are you able to pinpoint exactly what irks you about it, or elaborate on what you think it should be?

You know I honestly wish I could quantify it better. Something about it just sort of grates on my nerves. I guess maybe it's just because it's such an average opener IMO to what is very much so an above average show. That and as an opening theme it definitely seems to me to be below par when compared to a lot of other musical acts contained within the series.

I never grew up with the series and it really doesn't contain any nostalgia, which probably doesn't help things. I hate to say this considering how stupid it sounds, but it almost comes off as too girly.

daffy

Banned
Foxix said:
I love it. Sometimes I hum the first My Little Pony x2 part at the beginning. How all the friends get their own little part in the song and then come together at the end, eh its pretty charming to me.

IsayFever

Foxix said:

Since I normally watch from the dvr I just skip it

Foxix Von

FTH said:
I love it. Sometimes I hum the first My Little Pony x2 part at the beginning. How all the friends get their own little part in the song and then come together at the end, eh its pretty charming to me.

I must just be crazy haha!

But I already knew that 9_6

Foxix said:
Anyone else find themselves nearly muting the video once that bad boy kicks in?
I cringe at the nostalgic beginning of the theme song. I feels like it's trying to remind me that the show was not made for me and I should be ashamed to enjoy it. Though, I think the reason I feel that way is because that's what society has instilled in me. It pokes at that macho part of my brain and tries to convince me that I'll be less of a man if I enjoy this.

However, it quickly fades and I don't think about it again while watching the episodes. So screw it. Who is anyone to say what I should like and dislike?

Fluttershy for president!

daffy

Banned
Foxix said:
I must just be crazy haha!

But I already knew that 9_6
I do agree that the theme song doesn't match the quality of the show though. Some of it does seem a little forced, like reading off a cue card. The musical acts are definitely a lot better put together.

Whogie

Brought up this show to my brother only to find out that he'd beaten me to the punch and had seen them all.

Foxix said:
I hate to say this considering how stupid it sounds, but it almost comes off as too girly.

I feel this way as well. It's mostly just the beginning 5 seconds of the song, but I still don't like watching it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Episode 1 wasn't the funny as I thought it would be. I guess expected more from the creators pedigree. Animation is good.

I may get hate for this but the rainbow pegasus is kind of a douche.

The one funny part was the shy pony who kept mumbling her name.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Trojita said:
Episode 1 wasn't the funny as I thought it would be. I guess expected more from the creators pedigree. Animation is good.

I may get hate for this but the rainbow pegasus is kind of a douche.

The one funny part was the shy pony who kept mumbling her name.
Yeah, the first two episodes follow more of a "mahou shoujo"/"super sentai" formula. If you want to watch more comedy, go for an episode focusing on Pinkie Pie, such as "Feeling Pinkie Keen" or "Griffon the Brush-Off".

I like Rainbow Dash, because when she's awesome, she's WAY awesome, but her jerky attitude puts her at the bottom of my ranking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom