• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxix Von

ZealousD said:
Look, I like Pinkie. She's hysterical. But come on man.

Come on.

She ain't no Bugs Bunny. She ain't no Donald or Daffy Duck. She ain't no Goofy. She ain't no Ren nor Stimpy.

Now if you said greatest female cartoon character, I might have let that one slide.

She's a fantastic character but I'd agree with this. Best female? Probably a good argument there. Definitely best modern homage character. I think maybe a lot of her cartoon antics stand out more than others due to the world MLP takes place in. They've set up this mythos and there seem to be a set of rules in place and the world works in a semi predictable way and well... she breaks the laws of physics, quite clearly along with the fourth wall on a few occasions.

It's not often that you see classic cartoon antics taking place in a pseudo-high fantasy setting.

jogarrr

This show is amazing! Just want to thank this thread and Brony GAF for introducing me to it. This latest episode had me laughing the whole way though.

FoxSpirit

Ookami-kun said:
lol Pony Gaga

Actually, it's THIS Lady:

29ffu6u.jpg

And she's the fuckin' devil.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
MacAttack said:
Just got back from Target where I bought my daughter a Twilight Sparkle pony and my neice a Rainbow Dash RC plane. Happy to report there is a ton of MLP:FiM merch out there.

mlpmnrk.jpg

That doesn't look like Twilight Sparkle.

That doesn't look like Twilight Sparkle at all.

Honey Bunches of Alex said:
I find the fact that grown ups (or uh, men interested in a 7-year-old girl's show) who are interested in this girly, kiddie crap a bit disturbing.

You saying guys can't love girly things?
We can only like sports and beer commercials?
Huh, punk?
Wanna fight about it?

FoxSpirit

I find the fact that grown ups (or uh, men interested in a 7-year-old girl's show) who are interested in this girly, kiddie crap a bit disturbing.

Do you like puppies? Do you like kittens? Do you like PowerPuff Girls? Then watch the first 4 episodes and report back :)

AceBandage said:
You saying guys can't love girly things?
We can only like sports and beer commercials?
Huh, punk?
Wanna fight about it?
That's exactly what I'm saying.

Violence isn't the answer, common sense is.

FoxSpirit said:
Do you like puppies? Do you like kittens? Do you like PowerPuff Girls? Then watch the first 4 episodes and report back :)
I don't like or dislike puppies. The Powerpuff Girls is a little kid's show.

I don't watch shows targeted at children. That's disturbing.

So basically "little girls" applies to adult men who want to be adult girls? Am I missing something? I also disagree with that thread, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Well, you're free to disagree all you like.
Doesn't make your opinion right or valid, though.

Shanadeus

Banned
I don't like or dislike puppies. The Powerpuff Girls is a little kid's show.

Have you read what the creator of the show has said about the show in regards to question such as "What do you think about adults watching the show?"?

Frankly, you sound no better than the "NINTENDO IS FOR KIDDIES"-crowd.

Pollux

Shanadeus said:
Have you read what the creator of the show has said about the show in regards to question such as "What do you think about adults watching the show?"?

What did the creator of the show say in response to that question?

Nishastra

Banned
"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. . . . When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

Jenga

Banned
Shanadeus said:

which is hilarious because the guy was obviously speaking about the more pathetic men who watch this show, not the "dad who watches because his kid watches"

more like the "dad who is into the show more than the kid and reads fan fiction"

Shanadeus

Banned
zmoney said:

I can't find the sound bit but she basically said that she understands why animation fans appreciate the show and that she's happy she's found such a wide audience or something.

The various pop-culture references in the show (that I doubt most "little girls" would pick up on) also shows that there is more to this show than SPARKLY PONIEZ!!!

Nishastra said:
"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. . . . When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis
Good job rationalizing a grown man acting like a female child. Bravo.

C.S. Lewis was also a Christian and paraphrased a verse from the Bible with that statement ;).

wsippel

Banned
zmoney said:

She wanted to design a quality show parents would actually want to watch with their kids. Or in broader terms: A kids show adults would enjoy as well. She succeeded.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So basically it's okay for grown men to act like little girls?

What's next? You guys are going to think it's okay to dress in little girls' clothes too?

Just because I watch this show doesn't mean I play with dolls or like playing dress up.

Is the show primarily aimed at little girls? Of course it is. But I watch it because it can be entertaining in ways that are very gender and age neutral.

Do you know any grown women that enjoy Transformers? I know a few. And nobody bats an eye at them. This is basically just the gender opposite. The only reason it seems weird or "disturbing" is that our society is currently more comfortable with women defying gender expectations than they are with men doing the same.

C.S. Lewis was also a Christian and paraphrased a verse from the Bible with that statement ;).

How is that even relevant?

Pollux

ZealousD said:
Just because I watch this show doesn't mean I play with dolls or like playing dress up.

Is the show primarily aimed at little girls? Of course it is. But I watch it because it can be entertaining in ways that are very gender and age neutral.

Do you know any grown women that enjoy Transformers? I know a few. And nobody bats an eye at them. This is basically just the gender opposite. The only reason it seems weird or "disturbing" is that our society is currently more comfortable with women defying gender expectations than they are with men doing the same.

True dat.

Kelthink

So basically "little girls" applies to adult men who want to be adult girls? Am I missing something? I also disagree with that thread, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

So you're saying you're a bigot?

ZealousD said:

How is that even relevant?
Eww.

Remind me to keep my kids at least 300 feet away from you.

Kelthink said:
Oh that's just absurd.

MacAttack

Regulus Tera said:
That doesn't look like Twilight Sparkle.

That doesn't look like Twilight Sparkle at all.

Doesnt seem to bother my 3 y.o., she instantly recognized all the ponies at the store. It certainly wont stop me from encouraging her love of the show by puchasing the entire set of ponies.

Anything to get away from watching Dora + Strawberry Shortcake. *shudder*

On topic with this "little girls" drama, its the same reason yo gabba gabba was popular with parents and sesame street is. Elements of the show appeal to parents. Since parents are forced to watch these shows it makes sense to make it watchable for everyone.

Eww.

Remind me to keep my kids at least 300 feet away from you.

Oh that's just absurd.

Oh, comparing cartoon watchers to pedophiles.
You have a very interesting future (though not long) on this board.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Kelthink said:
Nah, he's saying thanks for giving him an opportunity to bitch about things he never saw and flame everybody who likes it.
A real contribution for GAF and this thread.

AceBandage said:
So basically, if I think it's weird that some men here watch little girls' cartoons, I don't have a long future here?

Bufbaf said:
Nah, he's saying thanks for giving him an opportunity to bitch about things he never saw and flame everybody who likes it.
A real contribution for GAF and this thread.
No need to be hateful.

So basically, if I think it's weird that some men here watch little girls' cartoons, I don't have a long future here?

If you're going to compare people that like cartoons to pedophiles you certainly don't.

AceBandage said:
If you're going to compare people that like cartoons to pedophiles you certainly don't.
I never compared cartoons with pedophilia. You did.

I don't want my kids around someone who watches little girls shows. I am well within my right as a parent.

Bravo.

I don't want my kids around someone who watches little girls shows. I am well within my right as a parent.

Bravo.

Spin spin spin!

Shanadeus

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
That's what I was looking for.

Of course, we're all still depraved man children because what the creator of the show says doesn't matter - it's just a bunch of rationalizations to cover up our girlyness.

Amirite, Alex?

Pollux

AceBandage said:

I'm going to enjoy watching this whole thing play out.

mj-thriller-popcorn-o.gif

Kalnos

Banned
you realize choppasmith that one of those long images has 'OP is a faggot'?

I don't really care, but I would tread lightly.

ZealousD

No need to be hateful.

No, you don't have a long future here because you're showcasing yourself as a close-minded bigot that resorts to personal attacks rather than engaging in meaningful discussion. You're a junior member right now, which means that the moderation staff also isn't particularly lenient towards you. Which is saying something, because our moderation staff is pretty strict even towards normal members.

Bravo.

Well if I'm not a pedophile, than why are you concerned about your kids being around me?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
No need to be hateful.

Oh, I'm not. I'd be glad if you watch a few episodes with an open mind, then come back and tell us your honest opinion on this matter. Somehow I doubt that will happen, though.

ZealousD said:
No, you don't have a long future here because you're showcasing yourself as a close-minded bigot that resorts to personal attacks rather than engaging in meaningful discussion. You're a junior member right now, which means that the moderation staff also isn't particularly lenient towards you. Which is saying something, because our moderation staff is pretty strict even towards normal members.
How do you derive me being a closed-minded bigot from my comments? Do you even know me? Why are you being so judgmental? How am I personally attacking anyone? I disagree so therefore I'm attacking? What? LOL

You don't even have an argument, you're the one on the attack.

Pollux

ZealousD said:

Not lenient towards junior members, especially those who are antagonizing instead of promoting a civil discussion.

mj1108

Bufbaf said:
Oh, I'm not. I'd be glad if you watch a few episodes with an open mind, then come back and tell us your honest opinion on this matter. Somehow I doubt that will happen, though.
He's not man enough to do that.

ZealousD

How do you derive me being a closed-minded bigot from my comments? How am I personally attacking anyone? I disagree so therefore I'm attacking? What? LOL

You don't even have an argument, you're the one on the attack.

No, I made an argument. I made the argument that this is just like a grown woman liking Transformers. You never addressed that. Instead, you attacked my character by saying you didn't want your kids around me.

Pollux

I just asked a question and a bunch of you guys got butthurt, is all. We even have someone shouting "bigotry!" now.

You basically implied that anyone who watches this show that isn't a little girl is a pedophile....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom