• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai101

Banned
dogmaan said:
I am probably going to appear to be a douche, So i'll start with some positives

The Graphic design is fantastic the web design nerd in me loves the use of colours.

The animation although flashy (as in Adobe), it still has personality and charm.

I'll give you kudos for watching it even if in the end you don't liked it, which is MORE (and i mean a LOT MORE) than most people who just plain HATE this will ever do.

dogmaan said:
The problem is the content/writing, now i must stress TO ME or IMO, the stories do not contain enough material for adults to relate to, the stories are clearly (again IMO) aimed at 3-8 year olds, and the only thing that I can see that appeals to GAF Adults is some kind of Kawaii factor and in the worse case a furry/beastiality factor IMOIMOIMOxMillion
To each his own, i really like the writing, the humor and the shout outs to other media that 3-8 y.o.'s have never heard or know about, yet.

Then again kudos to you.

Foxix Von

drifter444 said:

Oh haha I remember bumping into that thread. Someone also apparently posted a link to our avatar wall over at systemwars... that's not a pretty thread either. And since it seemed like we were running a little low I added Pangloss' batch to the wall along with some of my own:

XpGLd.gif
NO6Yk.gif
yVU1Y.gif
bkD86.gif
fBfmC.gif
Turv7.gif
LQIoK.jpg
FGUfn.gif

wsippel said:
Call of the Cutie was OK and The Stare Master was good, especially as a Fluttershy episode. I didn't like the last one, though - now that was just a tad too much.
Actually you're right, I forgot about The Stare Master, though that was more about Fluttershy than the crusaders themselves.

Apple Bloom's first episode was good too, because it was just her interacting with the regular cast and had a pretty great message behind it.

I guess conceptually the cutie crusaders are ok, but it feels like there's so little to differentiate the three of them from one another. The most recent one felt like it dragged on forever, because by the end of the first act you knew where the climax was headed, and you knew that they weren't going to come close to earning their cutie marks.

If Lauren Faust gets her casually-mentioned wish of a spinoff, I wonder what direction they could even take it. The type of "hijink" they become involved in aren't very different than what the normal cast could do.

Cheerilee

dogmaan said:
I am probably going to appear to be a douche, So i'll start with some positives

The Graphic design is fantastic the web design nerd in me loves the use of colours.

The animation although flashy (as in Adobe), it still has personality and charm.

The problem is the content/writing, now i must stress TO ME or IMO, the stories do not contain enough material for adults to relate to, the stories are clearly (again IMO) aimed at 3-8 year olds, and the only thing that I can see that appeals to GAF Adults is some kind of Kawaii factor and in the worse case a furry/beastiality factor IMOIMOIMOxMillion
AFAIK, one of the main draws of the show is that it doesn't have stealth content for adults (as most people would expect seeing that it has an adult fanbase). Nor does it have mind-numbingly offensive dumbed-down-for-kids content. It's a sort of pure neutral. It does have some mind-numbing stuff forced on them by Hasbro, and some stealth adult content like Derpy, but those aren't really it's core.

And it's not something people are building their lives around, it's an interesting diversion. At least that's the case with me. In this past week I've re-watched Arnold Schwarzenegger's Conan the Barbarian, Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window, a five hour A&E movie adaptation of Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe, The Office season one (US version), and some Ah! My Goddess anime. Going back farther than that, I was mostly watching a bunch of Lost and the 80's GI Joe cartoon.

Right now I'm enjoying the new MLP enough to make it my avatar (replacing Shantae 2, which was getting old). It's obviously not for everyone, and I'm pretty sure you even need to be in the right mood to enjoy it. I'm glad to see that you weren't closed minded and gave the show a chance, even if you didn't like it. And I disagree with the majority in that I think episodes 1&2 are an acceptable introduction to the series. It changes tone after the pilot, but the basics are all there.

Dai101

Banned
Foxix said:
Oh haha I remember bumping into that thread. Someone also apparently posted a link to our avatar wall over at systemwars... that's not a pretty thread either. And since it seemed like we were running a little low I added Pangloss' batch to the wall along with some of my own:

XpGLd.gif

DIBS!!!!! I'll add to rotation with my actual avatar (if, it's ok with you guys)

AceBandage said:
1. It's "That's what the kids are calling it these days?"

2. Just because you imagine pony fellatio doesn't mean the rest of us do.

1. I figured kid was implied. You're right, I should've clarified by saying "man children"

2. You said it not me.

I forgot how sensitive you all are. It's a suggestive image. If you can't recognize that then youre being purposefully obtuse and that makes it even creepier.

The Hermit

Okay just watched episode 19 and that was just plain funny. I don't mean funny for kids... I mean funny.
I actually laughed the whole chapter...

I dare a naysayer watch that and don't find it slightly funny.

EDIT: thanks icarus

EDIT2: wtf, I thouhg it was a typo...what the hell is a neighsayer?

dream

TheLegendary said:
1. I figured kid was implied. You're right, I should've clarified by saying "man children"

2. You said it not me.

I forgot how sensitive you all are. It's a suggestive image. If you can't recognize that then youre being purposefully obtuse and that makes it even creepier.

At least you could make a case for
yVU1Y.gif
possibly being consensual.

I shudder when I think about what the "bronies" did to this poor thing:
6alMq.gif

wsippel

Banned
As far as I can tell, pony avatars are pretty much a Rorschach test - the reactions are a lot more meaningful than the avatars. And some people should really question their own line of thought.

Foxix Von

wsippel said:
As far as I can tell, pony avatars are pretty much a Rorschach test - the reactions are a lot more meaningful than the avatars. And some people should really question their own line of thinking.

You know, that's strangely true.

wsippel

Banned
Foxix said:
You know, that's strangely true.
I don't think it's strange. Take this quote for example:

dream said:
I shudder when I think about what the "bronies" did to this poor thing:
6alMq.gif
We, as in "the people who actually watch the show", don't need to think about what's going on there. No need for implications. We know the context. dream, however, does not. And instead of doing research or just taking it at face value, he's implying something. Something that simply and honestly is not there.

My apologies. Clearly an objective viewer should be able to come to the conclusion that the image represents a pony wanting cupcakes. Admit it, out of context if someone passed your computer with that GIF playing they might be warranted in wanting to keep you away from their children.

Wasn't placing judgement on the viewers until Mr Defensive chimed in so I'll end it here. Dont have a problem with people enjoying a show.

Narag said:
Alas, any man that preaches the virtues of Joe Buck doesn't have much to stand upon!

Just you WAIT for my Joseph Francis Buck Super Thread of Love!!!! [OT]

Narag

TheLegendary said:
My apologies. Clearly an objective viewer should be able to come to the conclusion that the image represents a pony wanting cupcakes. Admit it, out of context if someone passed your computer with that GIF playing they might be warranted in wanting to keep you away from their children.

Wasn't placing judgement on the viewers until Mr Defensive chimed in, but I'll end it here.

Just you WAIT for my Joseph Francis Buck Super Thread of Love!!!! [OT]

Context is everything. May Aaron Rodgers be spared the Madden cover for your humility.

As for a buck thread, make sure it lives up to your name so we can bump it yearly like FMT's favre depreciation thread!

Risette

A Good Citizen
Reposting that image should be bannable or something. Linking it is one thing, reposting it shows that you're clearly trying to stir shit.

It's also fucking weird wtf.

Foxix Von

Aigis said:
Reposting that image should be bannable or something. Linking it is one thing, reposting it shows that you're clearly trying to stir shit.

Give it time. Eventually someone is going to use it to derail a different thread and it'll end up like that creepy TMNT gif.

Shanadeus said:
It's a win-win.

For those who hate the CMC it would mean less of the CMC in the main show.

For those who like the CMC it would mean more of the CMC.

Hmmm... I can not argue against this logic.
Still, like the Cleavland Show, I can not agree on principle alone.

tiff

Banned
Aigis said:

I'd make it my sig if GAF had signatures.

Foxix Von

Shanadeus said:
It's a win-win.

For those who hate the CMC it would mean less of the CMC in the main show.

For those who like the CMC it would mean more of the CMC.

Thinking about it, yeah I definitely support a spin off. If I ever feel like watching CMC I'd have a whole separate series to enjoy. However it would preserve all the things I like about FiM and keep it clean of CMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom