• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanadeus

Banned
ahoyhoy said:
WplOa.gif

Shanadeus said:
I didn't even think of that.

We need a pony avatar for this man ASAP!
but I've only ever seen one episode! A tree fell on their clubhouse during a storm or something and southern pony fought a lot with posh pony before they learned friendship uber alles. It was ok, I guess.

...but, hell, I've been in this thread enough that I can't look at normal words anymore without wanting to insert horse-related puns. O_O

.JayZii

Banned
I watched the first two episodes. It's okay, but I don't understand the frothing love for it. Perhaps I'm dead inside? Or not dead enough.

Foxix Von

.JayZii said:
I watched the first two episodes. It's okay, but I don't understand the frothing love for it. Perhaps I'm dead inside? Or not dead enough.

I think most people would advise watching another 1 to 2 episodes if you're ever in the mood. The rest of the series is really quite different in structure.

icarus-daedelus said:
but I've only ever seen one episode! A tree fell on their clubhouse during a storm or something and southern pony fought a lot with posh pony before they learned friendship uber alles. It was ok, I guess.

...but, hell, I've been in this thread enough that I can't look at normal words anymore without wanting to insert horse-related puns. O_O

Actually "neighsayer" is a common word among bronies because it's actually used in an epidode.

5h7JI.png

Personally, I never found the little Twilight kissing random fan strip to be all THAT horrible. I mean it's bad art and makes me roll my eyes, but I find the kissing turtles to be much more trauma-inducing.

gerg

Choppasmith said:
Personally, I never found the little Twilight kissing random fan strip to be all THAT horrible. I mean it's bad art and makes me roll my eyes, but I find the kissing turtles to be much more trauma-inducing.

The turtle gif is really well animated. I guess as someone with no nostalgia for TMNT it doesn't exactly ruin my childhood or anything.

I'd ask for someone in this thread to ponify my avatar (or I'd draw my own one in a similar style), but I think that the backside of a male horse would be a bit too weird.

dogmaan said:
The problem is the content/writing, now i must stress TO ME or IMO, the stories do not contain enough material for adults to relate to, the stories are clearly (again IMO) aimed at 3-8 year olds, and the only thing that I can see that appeals to GAF Adults is some kind of Kawaii factor and in the worse case a furry/beastiality factor IMOIMOIMOxMillion

I'd have no where near as much of a problem with what you write if your immediate assumption as to why people like the MLP show was that "Oh, they just have a different sense of humour to me." instead of "Oh, they must secretly be (nearly) perverts."

Foxix Von

Nishastra said:
Grr arr. Went to Toys R Us today as planned, but they had nothing of note.

They had a sign up for the $15 sale on the "gift set", but didn't actually HAVE any.

I also want this, but don't want to pay $25 for it, and haven't seen it anywhere else. The Hasbro site doesn't even acknowledge its existence...

Oh wow, that pack has Pinkie AND RD in it. But eff me 25 bucks is waaaay too much for that. Especially since those figures are listed as 1.99 each on the Hasbro site.

MacAttack

Since most of the series is non-sequential and each episode is self contained, Id suggest people who are curious about the show dont start with the first two episodes.

Only if you have a frothing demand for all things ponies is it worth watching the pilot, which gives a lot of backstory and setup for the characters.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
gerg said:
I'd have no where near as much of a problem with what you write if your immediate assumption as to why people like the MLP show was that "Oh, they just have a different sense of humour to me." instead of "Oh, they must secretly be (nearly) perverts."

I always manage to see the best in people -__-

I bet you like Star Trek as well
j/k

Cheerilee

gerg said:
I'd ask for someone in this thread to ponify my avatar (or I'd draw my own one in a similar style), but I think that the backside of a male horse would be a bit too weird.
You could add a cutie mark to the backside you already have displayed.

Something like a heart would be stereotypical, but if you know the subject well enough you could make a custom mark. Or you could use a mark you like from an existing pony.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
ruby_onix said:

Something like a heart would be stereotypical, but if you know the subject well enough you could make a custom mark. Or you could use a mark you like from an existing pony.

Fuck me.

I think I'm losing touch with reality.

Foxix Von

ruby_onix said:

That's damn brilliant, and so obvious I can't believe I didn't think of it.
kmJkO.png

Edit... maybe it's too subtle?

Nishastra

Banned
Foxix said:
Oh wow, that pack has Pinkie AND RD in it. But eff me 25 bucks is waaaay too much for that. Especially since those figures are listed as 1.99 each on the Hasbro site.
Now if only somewhere (anywhere!) actually sold those $1.99 figures... :p

Before I fall asleep, here's some more animated avatars I made.

3tTqh.gif
Hbh8A.gif
10VZw.gif
YpCNX.gif

Foxix said:
If you ever feel like replacing your avatar with something else when you do think of it let me know, it's the only pony avatar that is better than my giraffe so I want it because.......
THAT PONY HAS THE SAME HAIR AS ME! Yes I got blue hair, Deal with it.

Uchip

Banned
im no longer ashamed of my anime figurines...
thanks guys lol

edit: in other news my sister says there are MLP toys in the closet if you want them lol

Cheerilee

ChronicleX said:
If you ever feel like replacing your avatar with something else when you do think of it let me know, it's the only pony avatar that is better than my giraffe so I want it because.......
THAT PONY HAS THE SAME HAIR AS ME! Yes I got blue hair, Deal with it.
You could use fanart.

WaR3u.jpg

gerg

Foxix said:
*image*

Edit... maybe it's too subtle?

TBH, I'm not sure how serious I was about the avatar thing, especially as I don't even particularly like the show. It was mainly a joke - I hope you didn't go to too much effort.

ruby_onix said:
You could use fanart.
It only beats the giraffe because it is primarily the head noddin blue haired gifness. I am not interested in the pony, only it's blue haired head. Anyways who did that fanart? It's pretty good.

Foxix Von

gerg said:
TBH, I'm not sure how serious I was about the avatar thing, especially as I don't even particularly like the show. It was mainly a joke - I hope you didn't go to too much effort.
TBH I half assed it haha. I put substantially less than 30 seconds of work into that.

I'm confused. Is this a show that was originally geared more for adults and is a parody of little-girl entertainment, al la Powerpuff Girls, or is this a genuine little girls show that the internet happens to like? I'm getting mixed messages.

Darte

I don't think it was ever meant to be targeted specifically towards adults, but the show ends up avoiding being a show that is completely girlish girlingly girlish mindless drivel that would drive the internet fanbase away.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Thagomizer said:
I'm confused. Is this a show that was originally geared more for adults and is a parody of little-girl entertainment, al la Powerpuff Girls, or is this a genuine little girls show that the internet happens to like? I'm getting mixed messages.
The latter. It's not at all a parody, it's just great comedy, great writing, incredible animations and fantastic voice acting, mixed with an overall welcoming freshness.

Cheerilee

Thagomizer said:
Genuine little girls show, that the internet happens to like because it's significantly better than what you'd normally expect from a little girls show. It tries to have broad, universal appeal, but it doesn't have anything stereotypically "for adults" which is something some adults find to be a refreshing change of pace.

Thagomizer said:

What ruby-onix said, but it's made by the same people who made PPG though.

vWL78.gif

Celestia is a bitch. Poor Luna.

geeko

Thagomizer said:

From OP:

This show premiered on October 2010, and is helmed by Lauren Faust, creator of "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends", animator for "The Iron Giant", writer for "Powerpuff Girls", and wife of PPG's creator Craig McCracken.

- A compact cast of easily identifiable, likeable characters, following certain archetypes but with surprisingly multi-layered personalities.
- A world with well-defined rules and mythology.
- Simple but well-written stories revolving around the theme of "friendship". This may seem somewhat limiting, but allows for relateable and realistic conflict between characters that can be resolved within the 22 minutes of each episode.
- Excellent voice acting for every. Single. Character.
- Extremely appealing character designs and surprisingly fluid and detailed flash animation, particularly for character expressions.
- Great comedy sense, with cartoon wackiness mixed in with surprising references to other shows and popular culture (nothing too obtrusive, don't worry).
- Morals that are transmitted in a way that doesn't feel like getting hit with a stick in the head, and that apply to adults as well as children.
- A lack of the cynicism that seems to infect most pop culture these days. This is a genuinely good-natured show, and a welcomed change of climate to those tired of the rudeness and nastiness that is pervasive in almost everything we see on TV.

It's just a very well done show.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Regulus Tera said:
We better have a new OT for Season 2 in order to spread the love. <3

It probaby won't start until later in the year.

Cue:

"Six months of pony reruns
And awesome summer days
We got our cool vacations
Time off from work to play
But the fan stuff is now running out
And we feel left in the cold
And even though I love season one
Those eps are getting old

It's time to welcome season two
And all fans new and green
But it's also time to say goodbye
This thread we now must clean
How can we start anew, you see?
What can each brony do?
How do we fit in without mad skills?
I haven't got a clue!

Season wrap-up, season wrap-up
Let's end our season one cheer
Because season two is here

Bringing here the lurking herds
A big fan's job begins
And shooing all the gloomy trolls
To let clean arguments in
We make fun avatars
And we let discussions flow
When new episodes come up
Their awesomeness will glow

Prospective fans hesitate
Because it seems too nice
We tell them it's a really cool show
In order to break the ice
We help them find eps and cool stuff
Show them all that they must know
We welcome all the lurking herds
So the whole fandom can grow

No easy task to keep thread clean
Make it all G rated reads
With patience and cool moderation
Everybody's fun it feeds
Videos, music, crafty stuff
Colorful fan art too
We must keep an watchful eye
It's just so much to do

Now that you know it's coming
You have to find your place
And know where you will stand
Tough task ahead you face
How will you post without trolling
Help the cool GAFfer way
If you want to belong you must
Do your best today
Do your best today

Because season two is here!"

geeko

Myke Greywolf said:
It probaby won't start until later in the year.

Cue:

"Six months of pony reruns
And awesome summer days
We all got our cool vacations
Time off from work to play
But the fan stuff is now wearing thin
And we feel left in the cold
And even though I love season one
Those eps are getting old

It's now time to welcome season two
And all fans new and green
But it's also time to say goodbye
This thread we now must clean
How can we start anew, you see?
What can every brony do?
How do we fit in without mad skills?
I haven't got a clue!

Bringing here the lurking herds
A big fan's job begins
And shooing all the gloomy trolls
To let clean arguments in
We post fan art
And we let discussions flow
When new episodes come up
Their awesomeness will glow

Because season two is here"

mlp1292334565896n12924081961311AR5FY.gif

FoxSpirit

Swapping
FRgdy.png
for
BGhit.png

:-D

Also, because I was a lazy f and didn't respond to PMs, here's to awesome alternate versions by Foxix. Many thanks man, even though I kept the old style in the end.

4gpOG.png
W3Mgj.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom