• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

KtSlime

Anyone have the screen cap meme of twilight suggesting building of a new ponyville from Swarm of the Century? I think it might be appropriate for manos' blazing saddles thread. ;)

ivedoneyourmom said:
Anyone have the screen cap meme of twilight suggesting building of a new ponyville from Swarm of the Century? I think it might be appropriate for manos' blazing saddles thread. ;)

Here, have a giant picture:

129900770661-dimes.jpg

Hope it helps!

Foxix Von

Machado said:
why is this thread always on page 1???

is it really worth it reading through it?
It's said that if you read this thread three times over cross eyed Derpy will appear in your monitor.

The thread is pretty long and most of the important stuff is in the op. But if you have nothing better to do the thread is pretty awesome with all it's crazy derails and commotion its caused.

daffy

Banned
Machado said:
why is this thread always on page 1???

is it really worth it reading through it?
Let it beee, let it beeee

More or less, what is clearly worth it however is reading the OP and watching a couple episodes for yourself. GAF loves it apparently and so can you ;)

So what's tomorrow's episode again? Is it the one where we find out the origins of the Main 6's cutie marks or something about land dispute with onion things?

BY2K

Membero Americo
"Okay, we need to build a replica of Ponyville! We have less than a minute!"

Something clearly snapped.

And Fillydelphia, really?

Really?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Alright. I'm gonna break down and do it. I need a pony avatar for Fridays at the very least.

Trying to decide between two Spike moments and I don't think either is in the current avatar pool. There's his confused face in Winter Wrap up and his gagging in The Ticket Master. Can somebody make an avatar for each? Maybe once they're giffed it'll be easier for me to decide.

KtSlime

zmoney said:
can someone explain the pony-hate that GAF has?

Some people are just insucure, here in the US there was/is a long standing myth that people can catch 'gay' by doing things that aren’t masculine, you know.

Only masculine things such as taking showers with guys and slapping your teammates on the ass after a good game will keep men hetrosexual...

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
1. Pinkie Pie
1. Twilight Sparkle
1. Spike
1. Rainbow Dash
1. Fluttershy
1. Applejack
1. Rarity
1. CMC
2. Celestia OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE
3. Luna
4. Everypony who got any sort of VA so far
5. Everypony else
6. Gilda

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
zmoney said:
Easy!

First everyone thought, MLP:FIM was a big internet meme, for obvious reasons. If you only know the name, it's a girlish cartoon for little kids, but it's been made to awesome avatars and .gifs. That sounds like a perfect meme for everyone.

Then it was noticed it is by all means great, it has nothing to do with a meme, it's a great show and more and more people started liking it after actually watching it. The series never failed to impress with every new episode, and the fans kept liking it more and more, with no "meme" or internet fashion involved - it was just THAT good.

So, now everyone who came in for the meme wondered. They couldn't even make fun of the show, because there was no reason to do so. The big new meme was canceled, and there was no new one in sight. So a few haters started their job on the show, the fans and the ponys, without watching it. Said hate was kinda funny, there was a new victim in town and it was ponys! In the end, the hate became the new thing - "get out here, you and your ponies" spreaded to most nerd boards and everyone on the hip side joined in and started hating ponies for the hell of it, even if they are used to watch Sailor Moon, 80s Cartoons and other stuff clearly aimed for kids. Logic didn't apply, nobody cared and there you go - a new artificial meme was born.

Only two boards that I know of stayed true to themselves - GAF (I love you for that, once again) and the Allspark, a big Transformers forum with at least 2 general Pony threads, a Pony picture thread, episode thread and some other stuff, sharing the love without hate.
Since GAF is way more experienced in quickly adopting to internet memes, the hate will last longer here, but in the end we will have our Pony thread, and life will be normal again :)

Acerac

Banned
Thanks to this hype thread I've gone through and watched this entire series, and told a good portion of my friends about how awesome it is.

I don't know how to feel about this. About 20% cooler than beforehand, I suppose.

1)Pinkie Pie
2)Fluttershy
3)Rainbow Dash
4)Rarity
5)Twilight Sparkle
6)Applejack

Jintor

zmoney said:

The whole active hatred/don't bother to understand the show thing, and the fact that people can't handle pony avatars and the occasional meme image that pops up once in a while. Or the fact that we use fan terms in the fan community. I mean, like, who does that.

Seda said:
This one?

jn62L.png

Oh my god, ultimate troll face

Furret

Banned
1. Pinkie Pie
2. Rainbow Dash
3. Twilight Sparkle
4. Rarity
5. Apple Jack
6. Fluttershy

Spike is also a boss and Celestia and Trixie are cool secondary characters.

I wouldn't say I disliked the Cutie Mark Crusaders themselves but The Show Stoppers is the only episode that's been outright bad.

Articalys

Bufbaf said:
Easy!

First everyone thought, MLP:FIM was a big internet meme, for obvious reasons. If you only know the name, it's a girlish cartoon for little kids, but it's been made to awesome avatars and .gifs. That sounds like a perfect meme for everyone.

Then it was noticed it is by all means great, it has nothing to do with a meme, it's a great show and more and more people started liking it after actually watching it. The series never failed to impress with every new episode, and the fans kept liking it more and more, with no "meme" or internet fashion involved - it was just THAT good.

So, now everyone who came in for the meme wondered. They couldn't even make fun of the show, because there was no reason to do so. The big new meme was canceled, and there was no new one in sight. So a few haters started their job on the show, the fans and the ponys, without watching it. Said hate was kinda funny, there was a new victim in town and it was ponys! In the end, the hate became the new thing - "get out here, you and your ponies" spreaded to most nerd boards and everyone on the hip side joined in and started hating ponies for the hell of it, even if they are used to watch Sailor Moon, 80s Cartoons and other stuff clearly aimed for kids. Logic didn't apply, nobody cared and there you go - a new artificial meme was born.

Only two boards that I know of stayed true to themselves - GAF (I love you for that, once again) and the Allspark, a big Transformers forum with at least 2 general Pony threads, a Pony picture thread, episode thread and some other stuff, sharing the love without hate.
Since GAF is way more experienced in quickly adopting to internet memes, the hate will last longer here, but in the end we will have our Pony thread, and life will be normal again :)
Okay, first, let me say that while I'm not a fan -- I've only seen bits and pieces in YouTube clips -- I'm not one of the haters, so I'm working from a neutral point of view here.

Now, this part here that I've highlighted is what I think is part of the problem comes from; a vocal minority of the fans of the show acting like it's some infallible paragon of animation. It definitely has great production values, don't get me wrong, but nothing can be perfect, nor can appeal to everyone, so you need to expect some resistance. Just try not to meet that resistance with any sort of lecturing on why MLP is better than whatever show they're currently watching, or imply that they're flawed for not liking it. Either politely ignore them or just explain that you like the show for its animation, humor, and characterization -- not that everyone should like it -- and that that's how it is. Eventually your dissidents will go away and you will be able to enjoy your Equestria in peace.

God, I think that's the remnants of a sociology class I took in college. Anywho, just trying to help establish some peace between Pony-GAF and the rest. Carry on.

Subitai

lexi said:
Rainbow Dash and Applejack are my favorites. Strange to see them get relatively no love.
I was at an anime con and Bronies came up for some reason. People there seemed to put Rainbow Dash on top. This was a week after the Sonic Rainboom episode though.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Articalys said:
Okay, first, let me say that while I'm not a fan -- I've only seen bits and pieces in YouTube clips -- I'm not one of the haters, so I'm working from a neutral point of view here.

Now, this part here that I've highlighted is what I think is part of the problem comes from; a vocal minority of the fans of the show acting like it's some infallible paragon of animation. It definitely has great production values, don't get me wrong, but nothing can be perfect, nor can appeal to everyone, so you need to expect some resistance. Just try not to meet that resistance with any sort of lecturing on why MLP is better than whatever show they're currently watching, or imply that they're flawed for not liking it. Either politely ignore them or just explain that you like the show for its animation, humor, and characterization -- not that everyone should like it -- and that that's how it is. Eventually your dissidents will go away and you will be able to enjoy your Equestria in peace.

God, I think that's the remnants of a sociology class I took in college. Anywho, just trying to help establish some peace between Pony-GAF and the rest. Carry on.

Oh, that wasn't my intention :( MLP is awesome, but I'd never call it the peak of animated tv shows, and I perfectly understand the general "this is for little girls" opinion. I wouldn't watch one episode of the older Ponys either. I'm sorry if you understood that wrong, maybe it's because I'm not that great when it comes to wording complicated things in english :)
I didn't want to imply I'm lecturing anyone to like the show, the bolded part should probably say "they found no reason to make fun of the show's technical execution nor it's comedy or writing, because for what it is, its pretty damn well made in all of these aspects"?
I just think most people hate the show for completely wrong reasons and in this exaggerated scale this hate is only present because "everyone's doing it". Again, sorry if you got me wrong (or maybe I got you wrong).

Articalys

Bufbaf said:
Oh, that wasn't my intention :( MLP is awesome, but I'd never call it the peak of animated tv shows, and I perfectly understand the general "this is for little girls" opinion. I wouldn't watch one episode of the older Ponys either. I'm sorry if you understood that wrong, maybe it's because I'm not that great when it comes to wording complicated things in english :)
I didn't want to imply I'm lecturing anyone to like the show, the bolded part should probably say "they found no reason to make fun of the show's technical execution nor it's comedy or writing, because for what it is, its pretty damn well made in all of these aspects"?
I just think most people hate the show for completely wrong reasons and in this exaggerated scale this hate is only present because "everyone's doing it". Again, sorry if you got me wrong (or maybe I got you wrong).
Yeah, that makes a lot more sense, don't worry about it. A lot of the vitriol does seem to be bandwagoning, so everything should pass in due time.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Custom Pony Day macro for today:

Mbvgl.jpg

(Be sure to read it with Fluttershy's voice on your mind)

With this, I propose to create a weekly event called PONY DAY MACRO MADNESS!

- Grab a screen cap from the previous episode.
- Use Roflbot to make a semi-witty macro about PONY DAY out of it.
- Post it here on Fridays, before watching a new episode.

Lots of fun to be had!

About the hate: I do believe that there can be as many reasons to hate it (most of them idiotic) as to love it, but it all comes down to ponies being the "hate flavor of the week". A few people will keep hating, since this is the Internet and people love to hate. Most will move on as soon as the next incomprehensible craze comes along. And thus we all move along in the great Circle of Life.

Jintor

On a only semi-related note, Disney stuff is incredible and I've never been more glad that Youtube exists. I really need to pick up the Blu-Rays of whatever's available from the vault asap.

I comment only because it suddenly struck me that MLP and Disney are on semi-similar 'tiers' of respectability (I say semi because Disney are clearly class acts, have a boatload more cash behind them, and tend towards... well... stories as opposed to slice-of-life), as it were, only Disney gets a lot better press because... well, they invented a lot of it. They have tradition and nostalgia on their side. But when you get down to it, they're both animations aimed at children that happen to be made by people who are incredibly dedicated to their craft.

That said, I could probably say I liked Tangled without getting stares in public, but any mention of ponies and BAM! Judgement!

Furret

Banned
Popstar said:
Oh, I almost forgot.

1a. Twilight Sparkle
1b. Pinkie Pie
2a. Rarity
2b. Fluttershy
3. Apple Jack
6. Rainbow Dash

I just don't understand the Rainbow Dash hate. She's hilarious every time!

I can get that Apple Jack is a bit one note, and her accent can be a bit much, but what's not to love about Rainbow Dash?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Furret said:

I can get that Apple Jack is a bit one note, and her accent can be a bit much, but what's not to love about Rainbow Dash?
Arrogance is a big character turn-off to me. Rainbow Dash is capable of the best, but most of the time, she contents herself in being a jerk. She really needs a big lesson in humility.

Furret

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
Arrogance is a big character turn-off to me. Rainbow Dash is capable of the best, but most of the time, she contents herself in being a jerk.

OK, so maybe people are listing the ponies they like as characters, rather than the ones they think make the show what it is. The latter was my angle.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Furret said:
OK, so maybe people are listing the ponies they like as characters, rather than the ones they think make the show what it is. The latter was my angle.
I think most people were going for the first angle with the rankings, as shown by the prevalence of Fluttershy on the top spots. Otherwise, Twilight would be first in all rankings, as there wouldn't be a show without her presence.

But I can perfectly understand why people might like Dash better than the others, regardless of that. Her excessive cockiness does make for some great comedy.

Popstar

Furret said:

I actually really like Apple Jack, including her accent. Her character is pretty even-keeled most of the time though. She's the "straight man" even more so than Twilight I think.

As for Rainbow Dash, I think I just don't like the voice chosen for her. A lot of young male characters are actually voice acted by women and her voice reminds me of that sort of generic young male character voice.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So ....
Applejack and Fluttershy FTMW!

ZoddGutts

Myke Greywolf said:
Arrogance is a big character turn-off to me. Rainbow Dash is capable of the best, but most of the time, she contents herself in being a jerk. She really needs a big lesson in humility.

Which is why I like Pinkie Pie. Remember in that one episode where they were pranking on ponies with Dash helping out but when they got to Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie said no because she's sensitive. Only good friends who care and know their friends would do something like that. Some people can handle a joke and some can't, yet some "friends" do it. Good to see Pinkie Pie isn't one of them.

Menmanelf

I prefer Dash's arrogance to Fluttershy's shyness myself. With arrogance, at least sometimes gives oppotunities for us to enjoy some air being taken out of their egos, but with shyness, you always get the same reaction.

So far, the only times I've found Fluttershy interesting are when she's being assertive. She's an adorable character yes, but so far not a very interesting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom