• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
zmoney said:
can someone explain the pony-hate that GAF has?

i think they feel like it's a beacon for everyone who wants to express their long repressed development issues that this otherwise throw away flash cartoon feasts on, and celebrate them in a nauseatingly saccharine echo chamber full of irritating memes, sub-lol cat macros, douche-chilling role play and masturbatory back-patting.

since you asked.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
1.fluttershy
1.twilight
1. pinkie
1.rainbow
1.applejack
1.rarity
1.trixie
1.luna
7. celestia
8. spike
9. CMC
10. gilda

It's pony day! I hope it's good enough to satisfy us for 2 weeks because, according to sources, there will not be a new episode aired on April 1st. Unless it's some kind of April fool's joke.

So do ya think we'll get to see Big Mac assert himself in this episode? I don't think anybody wants a part of that.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alucrid said:
Yo I want some MLP t shirts. Where can I buy?
I want some, too, but all I've seen so far are pretty mediocre styled spreadshirt things. Some GAFfer could set up a store and we could make our own, complete with pony-GAF emblem ;)

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
The shirt I ordered from Zazzle for my wife just arrived. :)

CEwFf.jpg

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Mechanical Snowman said:
Sweet, I can totally see my avatar in the photograph. Now you've just got to convince her to wear it in public Myke.
This brings up a question: Who here is open about the fact they watch and enjoy this show?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
CHEEZMO™ said:
This brings up a question: Who here is open about the fact they watch and enjoy this show?
Me. Facebook avatar, every forum avatar, Skype avatar at work - all of them are ponies. And I'd have absolutely no problem wearing Ponywear (TM) while in public.

So far I've convinced 3 people to try the show, all 3 of them liked it :)

Neki

omg Rarity digging for diamonds is LOL. best facial expressions and noises.

edit: omg, Rarity whining is even better, LOL.

edit2: omg, crying, I love Rarity. D:

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Master Milk said:
Of course not.
:(

I would totally wear a (subtle) MLP shirt if I thought it looked good. Defo would if it was Dash-centric.
Bufbaf said:
Me. Facebook avatar, every forum avatar, Skype avatar at work - all of them are ponies. And I'd have absolutely no problem wearing Ponywear (TM) while in public.

So far I've convinced 3 people to try the show, all 3 of them liked it :)
I've put up some status updates and links to videos on Facebook, lol.

Trying to get 2 people I know to actually check it out. One of them even has an old-style-MLP tattoo (ironically :/)

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
CHEEZMO™ said:
Awesome.

Does it come in 'male'?
It's totally made to order, so you can have whichever shirt model for any gender with any design you want. Zazzle has a great design tool on their website, but since I had never ordered from them, I kept to something simple for test purposes. I may try something more elaborate (and subdued) for myself, next time.

Mechanical Snowman said:
Sweet, I can totally see my avatar in the photograph. Now you've just got to convince her to wear it in public Myke.
I wanted to show this thread on the photo so that you'd know this was legit.

She's got no problem whatsoever about using these kinds of shirts in public. :)

CHEEZMO™ said:
Like mostly everything else about my life, it's not something I will go out of my way to advertise, but also nothing I bother to hide. I'll gladly show my enthusiasm (in a hopefully non-obnoxious way) if someone asks me about it. I post lots of pony stuff on my Facebook wall, in addition to any interesting stuff I happen to run into, because it's the kind of thing people expect me to post on Facebook - anything and everything that captures my fancy. I already passed the pony bug onto 8 people (3 male, 5 female - including my wife).

CHEEZMO™ said:
:(

I would totally wear a (subtle) MLP shirt if I thought it looked good. Defo would if it was Dash-centric.
I think I've seen some mock-ups that are just a cutie mark in the corner of the shirt. Guys could probably get away with some of those. Applejack's would easily pass.

CHEEZMO™ said:
That's been asked a few times. I don't really mind, I have an MLP wallpaper on my notebook which I use in university.

The reactions are definitely not the same as on GAF, most people just laugh it off or make 1 or 2 digs. It's certainly not met with hostility.

Master Milk said:
I think I've seen some mock-ups that are just a cutie mark in the corner of the shirt. Guys could probably get away with some of those. Applejack's would easily pass.
Mock ups? I thought they were the real deal and you could buy them.

Mechanical Snowman said:
Mock ups? I thought they were the real deal and you could buy them.
The ones I saw might have been real, but I assumed they weren't because it wasn't a picture of an actual shirt. It looks like you can make your own though, so I'm sure you'd be able to make something you'd be comfortable wearing.

Nishastra

Banned
CHEEZMO™ said:
As open as I am about anything. I mean, this isn't some great leap for me anyway.

I've got a Hello Kitty debit card, for example. Hell, I did buy the "gift set" yesterday at another Toys R Us, too :p

UDnRCl.png

There they are via my phone. Annoyingly, they only have cutie marks on one side, so if they're not facing like this they're blank flanks :p

Twilight's hair isn't dark enough and Celestia's all-around wrong, but Pinkie and Applejack look perfect (not counting the lack of Applehat).

It also comes with a little book that tells the story of the first two episodes somewhat awkwardly.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im watching Episode 3 : Applebuck Season.
I friggin' love Applejack she is the hardest working and responsable ponny of the bunch.

* Respect hoof *

char_20204.jpg

Articalys said:
nothing can be perfect, nor can appeal to everyone, so you need to expect some resistance. Just try not to meet that resistance with any sort of lecturing on why MLP is better than whatever show they're currently watching, or imply that they're flawed for not liking it.

I've actually thought the main posters here have been really well-balanced about it - someone will come in and be like "what the fuck is wrong with all of you", and in response they get a gentle nudge to go check it out before judging. I don't think I've seen someone come back and say "hey, I watched a few episodes and I don't really get it, it's too kiddie for me" and then get shat on.

That's obviously just from my perspective, though =) I really appreciate the neutral POV, thanks for posting! It's hard to get any useful data from trolls proper about what their deal is, so it is nice to get feedback from someone being reasonable.

Gah! Spike on all fours and pink Celestia don't sit well with me. Gah!

Anyway, I'm open about liking the show. Screw what other people think. In fact, a colleague of mine saw my Ferrarity wallpaper on my phone and asked, "Is that a pony?" I explained who it was and where it was from and she said, "Aren't you a little old for that stuff?" I just kind of shrugged and told her that it was genuinely good entertainment and I'm currently hooked on it. If she thinks differently of me because of that, oh well.

I've posted facebook updates and videos as well for all my friends and family to see. No big deal. I'm secure enough with myself to show it.

Nishastra

Banned
Confused101 said:
Gah! Spike on all fours and pink Celestia don't sit well with me. Gah!
Celestia actually is technically supposed to be pink. Very, very, VERY light pink. Similarly, Nightmare Moon is supposed to be very, very dark blue rather than black. Not to imply that the color of the toys are anything like that anyway...

What bothers me more is that her hooves are the same color as the rest of her. And of course it'd be quite hard to achieve hair like she has in the show, but her figure hair is especially listless :p

I don't mind Spike going quadruped since he's totally perfect otherwise :p

Koomaster

Myke Greywolf said:
With this, I propose to create a weekly event called PONY DAY MACRO MADNESS!

- Grab a screen cap from the previous episode.
- Use Roflbot to make a semi-witty macro about PONY DAY out of it.
- Post it here on Fridays, before watching a new episode.

Lots of fun to be had!
Awesome site! Here's something I whipped up for Pony Day...

PCTS.jpg

1 Hour to go!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
CHEEZMO™ said:
That Zazzle site seems to be UK. I'll check it out.

A small warning: Zazzle has lots of international sites (even .pt, to my great surprise), but they ship their merchandise from the USA (at least that was the case for my order).

Koomaster said:
Awesome site! Here's something I whipped up for Pony Day...

PCTS.jpg
That's the spirit!

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Myke Greywolf said:
A small warning: Zazzle has lots of international sites (even .pt, to my great surprise), but they ship their merchandise from the USA (at least that was the case for my order).
Yeah, but they seem to use UK prices and sizes on the UK site. That was what I was worried about with the US ones.

The Hermit

Ultimoo said:
omg Rarity digging for diamonds is LOL. best facial expressions and noises.

edit: omg, Rarity whining is even better, LOL.

edit2: omg, crying, I love Rarity. D:

I am telling that ep 19 is great!

I loved when Spike made Twilight behave like a, well, pony when he acted like a knight.

There's no need to livestream, it comes on at the same time for everyone apparently, even for an Alaskan.

HIGH FIVE HUB/MLP!

DRAGON NAPPED

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Been watching Hub a lot for a lot of classic shows: Wonder Years, Laverne and Shirley, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids(first time seeing it, not that great, but it's funny in it's own way), Transformers, G.I. Joe, MIB, Happy Days, Family Ties, Doogie Howser, Batman, Fraggle Rock etc.

Turn on my TV and this is on.

Been avoiding the thread, but I might as well watch it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ZealousD said:
Alright. I'm gonna break down and do it. I need a pony avatar for Fridays at the very least.

Trying to decide between two Spike moments and I don't think either is in the current avatar pool. There's his confused face in Winter Wrap up and his gagging in The Ticket Master. Can somebody make an avatar for each? Maybe once they're giffed it'll be easier for me to decide.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I'd still like an avatar. :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom