• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

OMG Aero said:
Pinkie works in a cake/muffin/pie store.
She did it on purpose so she could make money selling weapons to the ponies.

War profiteering!?

Diabolical...
Again I'm giggling at the mirrored thought of this being similar to "selling guns to indians". The gags just keep on coming with this episode and the cowboys and indians themes.

Zeal

Banned
the quality of animation and the art style in general is just horrendous. i don't know how some of this shit even passes as cartoons. it just looks cheaply produced and with zero effort.

KtSlime

Zeal said:
the quality of animation and the art style in general is just horrendous. i don't know how some of this shit even passes as cartoons. it just looks cheaply produced and with zero effort.

Why tell us? Here's the creator's deviant art page, http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/ Go tell Lauren Faust, maybe she will improve it - we can't cause we don't make the show. Hope your request gets fulfilled!

Foxix Von

Zeal said:

This is flat out factually wrong. You can argue the art style all you like but the attention to detail and work being done by the animators is just amazing. If you think this is horrendous please, please point me to what cartoons you are currently watching so that I might have something to reference for when I start school. The animation is one of the strongest points of the show IMHO. It exhibits a very high execution level of many core, basic principles of animation like anticipation, overshoot, timing & spacing that I haven't seen displayed in american animation since the 90's. Not only that but the expression of character is different for nearly each of the main cast in just their walk cycles, notably pinkie pie vs everyone else. Facial expressions also play a major role in the humor and for the most part are incredibly vibrant, quick and show a great deal of emotion when necessary.

I honestly can't think of another television series that surpasses it. At least none that are currently airing today. At first I also thought it had a cheap look, but that was in reality a personal bias and a predisposition against the use of flash animation. It'd be incredibly difficult to deny that Flash is being used for cost reasons but what they are accomplishing with it is absolutely amazing.

Myke Greywolf said:

130118569419.png

Nishastra

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj311/TouchMyBox/130118569419.png
That's... kind of disturbing for some reason.

Probably because she's just a stump with hair rather than an actual tree :p

Foxix Von

Dai101 said:
Says the guy with an avatar of "generic space marine #96890654"

After editing my post earlier and turning it into a paragraph, I'm not even sure how you convince someone that the animation is good. If a person is capable of watching this and completely glazing over all of the detail and effort exhibited in the series readily available to them I'm at a loss as to how to even make it more apparent than it already is.

Uchip

Banned
Foxix said:
After editing my post earlier and turning it into a paragraph, I'm not even sure how you convince someone that the animation is good. If a person is capable of watching this and completely glazing over all of the detail and effort exhibited in the series readily available to them I'm at a loss as to how to even make it more apparent than it already is.

Worst part is he doesn't give an example of what he considers good animation
you dont need to like this show to give it that much credit

Kalnos

Banned
The animation and style are good, and that's from someone who just likes to watch the fandom from a distance. It's definitely way above average compared to other cartoons airing today.

The writing on the other hand, is terrible, and I don't know why people keep trying to hype it up.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Foxix said:
I honestly can't think of another television series that surpasses it. At least none that are currently airing today. At first I also thought it had a cheap look, but that was in reality a personal bias and a predisposition against the use of flash animation. It'd be incredibly difficult to deny that Flash is being used for cost reasons but what they are accomplishing with it is absolutely amazing.

I'd put Futurama over it.

That being said, I've noticed even people who don't' seem to like the show much have had nothing but positive things to say about the art style and animation.

Koomaster

Nishastra said:
That's... kind of disturbing for some reason.

Probably because she's just a stump with hair rather than an actual tree :p
A stump with ONE eye that someone placed a pink 'That Girl' wig on. It's the cutest most horrific image you can think of.

KtSlime

DrForester said:

That being said, I've noticed even people who don't' seem to like the show much have had nothing but positive things to say about the art style and animation.

Yeah, I really like the animation of Futurama too, however I think my cartoonist friend said that the problem with the style of Futurama is that they stay too on model - but he's hardcore into rubber hose.

ZoddGutts

This is the only series with Flash animation that I actually like. It looks fluid and not stiff for some reason. Lots of sequences that has wowed me, like that Rainbow Dash ep when Dash did her special move.

Shanadeus

Banned
Kalnos said:
The animation and style are good, and that's from someone who just likes to watch the fandom from a distance. It's definitely way above average compared to other cartoons airing today.

The writing on the other hand, is terrible, and I don't know why people keep trying to hype it up.
The writing sucked in the first two episodes so if those two episodes is everything you've seen then you have a lot of awesomeess left to watch.

I also feel like it needs to be pointed out that the buffalo were in the wrong here, at least moreso than the ponies. The citizens in the town didn't know it was their land and they never properly explained why they couldn't use the land when they came in, opting instead to just steal and act like dicks in general. Plus, it's way easier for the buffalo to simply walk through the pass rather than stampede than it'd be for the ponies to transplant an entire orchard, risking killing their entire source of sustenance in the process. And that's ignoring that they destroyed a building during their attack and seem to have no intention to help repair it.

I feel like the writer of the most recent episode (Dave Polsky) is two for two in inherently flawed story ideas. Both this and the "Feeling Pinkie Keen" seem far more trasnparently didactic than the other episodes, and more like something you'd expect in an 80's episode rather than this newer run.

That being said, he's also two for two with some great incidental jokes. Treestump Fluttershy will forever live in infamy.

KtSlime

I feel that way with most all of Dave Polsky's works, he has some excellent humor, but is too heavy handed, and relies too much on bringing non-diegetic knowledge into the story.

wsippel

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:
I feel that way with most all of Dave Polsky's works, he has some excellent humor, but is too heavy handed, and relies too much on bringing non-diegetic knowledge into the story.
I agree. Still, I really enjoyed this episode, and Feeling Pinky Keen is probably one of my favorites.

Uchip

Banned
you guys seem to like the animated gifs
how would i go about removing the border from mine?
i have a larger source image too

KtSlime

Uchip said:
you guys seem to like the animated gifs
how would i go about removing the border from mine?
i have a larger source image too

If you have The GIMP, or PhotoShop, or Pixen (I'm sure there are many others too) you can crop the photo.

Foxix Von

DemiMatt said:
*yoink*

Thanks!

Damnit, forgot to post the link to my old AV of Pinky falling down

NiLuT.gif

Was it this one? I've got to edit the wall later any way, if this is it I'll toss it back into rotation along with jediyoshi's batch :D

meltingparappa said:
I feel like the writer of the most recent episode (Dave Polsky) is two for two in inherently flawed story ideas. Both this and the "Feeling Pinkie Keen" seem far more trasnparently didactic than the other episodes, and more like something you'd expect in an 80's episode rather than this newer run./QUOTE]

He did that supernatural Pinkie episode? Shit that had to be the worst episode in the series.

"Hey guess what!? PINKIE CAN PREDICT THE FUTURE! But it has never occurred before, nor will it ever again so yeah."

Not to mention that I didn't appreciate the "message".

shaowebb said:
And now for something techno, awesome and yet NOT super ponybeat.

Fluttershy Screams Remix

We really do have one of the best cartoon communities.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Flying_Phoenix said:
We really do have one of the best cartoon communities.

Don't go too crazy now. There's a Sparta remix for pretty much everything.

Cheerilee

Uchip said:
lol
the whole derpy thing has been blown way out of proportion
So try something new.

Keep an eye out for the light green unicorn pony with the golden harp cutie mark. She performed the cloudwalking spell on herself and somehow flew up to the clouds to watch Rainbow Dash's Sonic Rainboom, and none of the main cast even noticed her.

94lOk.jpg

XFGSf.jpg

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
ruby_onix said:
Keep an eye out for the light green unicorn pony with the golden harp cutie mark. She performed the cloudwalking spell on herself and somehow flew up to the clouds to watch Rainbow Dash's Sonic Rainboom, and none of the main cast even noticed her.
Fans call her Lyra, BTW.

But yeah, that's a cool find. Someone done up goofed.

DrForester said:

If we're talking about animation quality in terms of number of frames, and fluidity of moment and motion, then futurama is not even in the same ball park as MLP: fim. The only shows I can think of that surpasses its animation quality is Avatar: the last airbender, boondocks, and gargoyles.

googleplex said:
If we're talking about animation quality in terms of number of frames, and fluidity of moment and motion, then futurama is not even in the same ball park as MLP: fim. The only shows I can think of that surpasses its animation quality is Avatar: the last airbender, boondocks, and gargoyles.
The more recent series of Futurama have been excellently animated. They moved onto 3D which let them do some brilliantly fluid animation. I don't know if you watched, but for an example see Gyroscopic Bender when the Planet Express had to deliver some explosive cake thing. One thing that MLP definitely has over other animated show's I've watched is squash / stretch. I think some shows like Futurama and American Dad favour a really clean animation style, which sometimes makes it look quite robotic compared to something like MLP.

I don't think the two are that comparable because of such a different style, but it's definitely comparable in terms of quality. And regarding frame rate, I'm pretty sure Futurama is animated at 24 FPS, whereas MLP varies between 12 and 24, and only the latter in some cases where the scene calls for more fluidity.

Though I'm not taking anything away from MLP, I personally can't think of any way they could improve the animation and I love the style.

Clevinger

DrForester said:

The animation nerds here (like 7TH) hate it, though.

OMG Aero

Clevinger said:
The animation nerds here (like 7TH) hate it, though.
I wouldn't call myself an animation nerd, but I study animation at university and I don't think I have to tell you my stance on this show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom