• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

ruby_onix said:
Keep an eye out for the light green unicorn pony with the golden harp cutie mark. She performed the cloudwalking spell on herself and somehow flew up to the clouds to watch Rainbow Dash's Sonic Rainboom, and none of the main cast even noticed her.
This is truly special.

daffy

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
Believe me, that has nothing to do with them being animation nerds.
QFT. The animation is srsly one of the best things about this show. Not only are they grasping at straws, but they're just plain wrong.

jediyoshi

moar up for grabs.

0J5nD.gif
cn6Fo.gif
maqfK.gif
wjAnG.gif

FV4bE.gif
lTxBR.gif
J7FqM.gif
mJ4O4.gif

Nishastra said:
Oh dear. This bothers me either way. Applejack and her amazing cucubmer-producing or cucumber-eating eyes.
Do both. Have them rotate.

People will probably double take thinking they saw it wrong the first time on page refreshes.

7Th

I don't remember saying anything about the quality, be it of the animation or the writing or whatever, of MLP; I've haven't even seen a single episode!

G-Fex

7Th said:
I don't remember saying anything about the quality, be it of the animation or the writing or whatever, of MLP; I've haven't even seen a single episode!

Omigosh so you agree it's the bestest thing ever! Hooray! This calls for a party!

GCX

I don't know about technical level but MLP is one of the most skillfully animated shows currently on air. It's a joy to watch such a talented use of squash/stretch.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Just finished translating episode 1.14, "Suited for Success", to portuguese. This is my favorite episode, but it was hell to translate, and it took me almost 6 hours to do it. Because of that friggin' awesome song, of course.

I'm sure translating this kind of thing is easy as pie when you don't give a shit about the source material. It's definitely hell if you insist on maintaining the meanings for all verses, all rhymes in their respective places, and still make it singable in the target language.

Amakusa said:
umm did I do something wrong?
Looks like there was a post between #4482 and #4483 that was purged.

Myke Greywolf said:
Just finished translating episode 1.14, "Suited for Success", to portuguese. This is my favorite episode, but it was hell to translate, and it took me almost 6 hours to do it. Because of that friggin' awesome song, of course.

I'm sure translating this kind of thing is easy as pie when you don't give a shit about the source material. It's definitely hell if you insist on maintaining the meanings for all verses, all rhymes in their respective places, and still make it singable in the target language.
How do you translate some of the slang or nonsense words if there is any? Do you just find the most suitable Portuguese word and replace it with that?

Dai101

Banned
Chillax everypony.

What i watched wasn't rule34 or anything, it was from a forum that apparently has a serious grudge with GAF and the staff, then a few minutes the poster got b& and then the post erased.

tiff

Banned
Dai101 said:
Chillax everypony.

What i watched wasn't rule34 or anything, it was from a forum that apparently has a serious grudge with GAF and the staff, then a few minutes the poster got b& and then the post erased.
And My Little Pony.

Which is a little odd considering the thread he was advertising in!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Mechanical Snowman said:
How do you translate some of the slang or nonsense words if there is any? Do you just find the most suitable Portuguese word and replace it with that?

Applejack's country girl slang is a little tricky, but I usually manage to find an equivalent portuguese expression whenever she uses it. Pinkie Pie's sugary flourishes are tricky too, but I can always find a way through using diminutives and childish expressions ("forgetty forgetterson"->"esquecidinha da silva")

Sometimes it is impossible to translate word for word, so you have to use each idiom as a translating unit, or just go for meaning.

Puns and rhymes are a completely different problem, and very hard to translate. I can ignore them if they're not too important, but if they're integral to the dialogue, I just think really hard of what aspects are most important to transmit to the audience in that particular phrase: the meaning of each word, the condensed meaning of the whole expression, the sonority, the flow of the dialogue, among others. After that, I focus on the particular aspect which I think to be most important, and translate trying to preserve it more than the others.

Here, the whole meaning of the expression as a party meant to celebrate the appearance of a cutie mark was more important than the wordplay on "quinceañera", therefore:
"cute-ceañera" -> "festa da marca"

I spent about 30 minutes thinking of how to translate the following lines:

Spike: You know, Pinkie, these two ponies have a bit of a grudge match they're trying to settle. Trying to prove who's the most athletic.
Pinkie Pie: Yes, and "grudge" rhymes with "fudge".
Spike: Yes it... does. What?
Pinkie Pie: And I like fudge. But if I eat too much fudge I get a pudge and then I can't budge.
Spike: So... no fudge?
Pinkie Pie: Oh, no thanks. I had a big breakfast.

I ended up going with this, because I thought that the most important thing here was to make the right words rhyme, even if they don't have the same meaning:

Spike: Sabes, Pinkie, estas duas póneis têm um duelo que querem resolver, para provar quem é a mais atlética.
Pinkie: Sim, e duelo rima com caramelo.
Spike: Pois... rima. O quê?
Pinkie: E eu gosto de caramelo. Mas quem come muito caramelo fica amarelo e tem um problema belo.
Spike: Então... nada de caramelo?
Pinkie: Não, obrigada. Comi bem ao pequeno almoço.

It doesn't have exactly the same meaning, but I thought in this case it was more important to preserve the rhyme, because that's what this exchange is all about! Pinkie's second line translates literally back to:

Pinkie: And I like caramel. But if you eat too much caramel, you become yellow and have a beautiful (figurative; It actually means "big" in this context) problem.

Not the same meaning, but the same spirit, I think. :)

If worse comes to worst, there are always the dreaded translation notes ("keikaku means plan")

I'm currently missing sleep because of the damn "horse drawn horse drawn carriages" pun.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
ivedoneyourmom said:
Myke Greywolf, hmmm, does Portuguese not use a word derived form of the latin "tracto" to mean to drag across something?
No, "to drag" is translated to portuguese as "arrastar". We use other variations of that particular latin word the same way as english does ("tractor", "to treat"->"tratar"). Other than that, there's just the other meaning of "tratar": "to deal with"->"tratar de".

KtSlime

(._.) said:
i would troll this thread if i knew how to

Ah, well step one is to watch the source material, so you know what parts to make fun of. You can find the episodes on YouTube rather easily.

Myke Greywolf: That's too bad. Sounds like this one will be a puzzler.

G-Fex

(._.) said:
i would troll this thread if i knew how to

Use the same tactics I did to troll creepy and victoria thread?

Or you could just like the show that's better and more funny than victorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom