• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
G-Fex said:
You know those spam message bots on World of Warcraft? It was just that.
Mind blown I thought you were just joking when you said you played WoW in previous posts.

(._.) said:
i would troll this thread if i knew how to
I don't recommend this, but the very, very worst you could do is to say that Pinkie Pie is your least favourite, and Princess Celestia is your favourite pony. Such blasphemy will cause this thread to erupt into a casual and friendly debate and afterwards pony macros will probably be posted.

The horror.

G-Fex said:
Use the same tactics I did to troll creepy and victoria thread?

Or you could just like the show that's better and more funny than victorious.
We all know that that wasn't trolling. You were just acting like you were trolling so that you had an excuse to stay in the thread. Kind of like you seemed to be doing a few weeks ago in this thread.

G-Fex

Mechanical Snowman said:
Mind blown I thought you were just joking when you said you played WoW in previous posts.

I don't recommend this, but the very, very worst you could do is to say that Pinkie Pie is your least favourite, and Princess Celestia is your favourite pony. Such blasphemy will cause this thread to erupt into a casual and friendly debate and afterwards pony macros will probably be posted.

The horror.

We all know that that wasn't trolling. You were just acting like you were trolling so that you had an excuse to stay in the thread. Kind of like you seemed to be doing a few weeks ago in this thread.

come on now, I wouldn't be semi-tired of WoW if I didn't actually play it.

Mechanical Snowman said:

Lies, I was half trolling and half hanging around. This is different, me gusta this show mucho mas.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Myke Greywolf said:
I'm currently missing sleep because of the damn "horse drawn horse drawn carriages" pun.

Yeah, I was actually just thinking the other day about how hard it is to translate puns. Especially when there's an explicit visual, like with "horse drawn horse drawn carriages".

I can't think of any graceful solution for something like that. That's one of the rare instances in which I would support a translator's note. I imagine "mild west dances" will be similarly difficult, although you might just be able to drop the rhyme.

I think your solution to the fudge/grudge problem was well done. Especially since you maintain enough of the spirit of Pinkie talking about sweets by turning fudge into caramel.

Although I don't know about translating songs. When it comes to subtitles for songs, I'm more used to the native language being displayed, along with a more direct translation. I'd only support doing a translation for songs when you're dubbing.

Nishastra

Banned
Made a couple of avatars from episode 2.

fPM6s.gif
Ub4DI.gif

The sudden moving of the Manticore's paws bugs me, but it does actually loop like that in the show :p

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
ZealousD said:
I imagine "mild west dances" will be similarly difficult, although you might just be able to drop the rhyme.
Dropping the rhyme, it actually becomes pretty easy to translate, because the essence of the pun is having "wild" and "mild" refer to the dances, and not the west.

It also helps that, athough in portuguese, "dance"->"dança" and "west"->"oeste" are different gendered words, "wild"->"selvagem" is a rare gender-neutral adjective, and so I can play with the expectation that "selvagem" is referring to "oeste" and not to "dança".

On the second part of the pun, the literal translation would be "mild"->"suave/leve", but that doesn't sit too well because in portuguese, "wild"->"selvagem" is almost always used as an antonym to "tame"->"manso/domesticado". These are not gender-neutral adjectives, but this actually plays well because we can now establish that "mansa" is referring to "dança" instead of "oeste" as was expected.

ZealousD said:
Although I don't know about translating songs. When it comes to subtitles for songs, I'm more used to the native language being displayed, along with a more direct translation. I'd only support doing a translation for songs when you're dubbing.
Well, this is probably just me being Rarity-levels of fussy, but I really want to have my cake and eat it too - that is, to perform a translation that is as close as possible to the original but still being usable for dubbing. I actually keep singing the translated versions under my breath through the whole process.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Mechanical Snowman said:
Really impressive, hope your effort is being appreciated. I hadn't even thought about language barriers in puns and songs before
I don't have any doubts that this project will never be adequately appreciated. First, because there already are people out there with more fan-cred who are doing spanish fansubs, which are inevitably more in demand than portuguese ones, and they're faster in doing it than I am. Second, because the portuguese fandom is ridiculously small, and composed mainly of people who don't have any need for subtitles. (I really have to find a brazilian collaborator to make a PT-BR version. My wife would be able to do it, but she's not really into this kind of work.) I'm mostly going after the people whose english skills aren't good enough to allow them to follow the original version, but most prospective viewers who aren't able to watch it in english, are mostly also too dumb to bother learning how to add software subtitles to the videos they watch. The list goes on and on.

I'm mostly doing it for kicks and self-satisfaction, and to keep myself busy in my spare time. It's also great practice and portfolio material, if I ever get myself in a position to get a job translating/subtitling.

And since we're here, have a nice piece of fan art, where My Little Trony instantly becomes 20% cooler.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Uchip said:
is it supposed to be really low res?
Sorry, forgot the click-through link. You can click on it now to see the full size version.

I really don't like embedding enormous images here, although this is a particularly awesome one, IMHO. But I'm thinking some people might not agree with me, so I'd rather not push my luck.

Sblargh

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
I don't have any doubts that this project will never be adequately appreciated. First, because there already are people out there with more fan-cred who are doing spanish fansubs, which are inevitably more in demand than portuguese ones, and they're faster in doing it than I am. Second, because the portuguese fandom is ridiculously small, and composed mainly of people who don't have any need for subtitles. (I really have to find a brazilian collaborator to make a PT-BR version. My wife would be able to do it, but she's not really into this kind of work.) I'm mostly going after the people whose english skills aren't good enough to allow them to follow the original version, but most prospective viewers who aren't able to watch it in english, are mostly also too dumb to bother learning how to add software subtitles to the videos they watch. The list goes on and on.

I'm mostly doing it for kicks and self-satisfaction, and to keep myself busy in my spare time. It's also great practice and portfolio material, if I ever get myself in a position to get a job translating/subtitling.

And since we're here, here a nice piece of fan art, where My Little Trony instantly becomes 20% cooler.

I could do the lazy job of just adapting what you already did to PT-BR, but don't really have the time to actually translating stuff.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Sblargh said:
I could do the lazy job of just adapting what you already did to PT-BR, but don't really have the time to actually translating stuff.
It will probably end up being just as time consuming, though, since brazilian and portuguese speaking styles are so different.

If you want, you're welcome to give it a shot trying to adapt one episode, and I'd be very grateful. My timed translations are at http://www.mediafire.com/mlp-fim_pt-pt_subs

shaowebb said:
This kind of stuff makes Derpy sad.

VHmkw.png

G-Fex

Finished Dragonshy. Yay Fluttershy is so awesome and cute when she screams.

Pinkie Pie's distraction is the bestest.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I just finished translating "Feeling Pinkie Keen", and after going through the whole script word by word (I had to!), I can just tell you something:

Even if Lauren Faust didn't mean for it to happen, there is no way that the episode's writer wasn't attempting to stealthily cram a religious message in there. Everything points to it, from Twilight's scientific attempts failing, to Pinkie asking her to make a "leap of faith" to be saved, to the "doozy" being Twilight finally accepting "Pinkie sense", to the final message to princess Celestia.

I'm totally not over-analyzing here, folks. It just becomes that obvious.

Next is "Sonic Rainboom", and it will be awesome!

FoxSpirit said:
Someone should try and use THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_e4wDmVAqU

"My voice is fuckin.... powerfuhuuuuul!!"

I just might take a crack at that.

And btw here's another great Pinkie vid done with great sync.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUM4RmFiTHI

And just curious Myke, were you aware that people were working on Portuguese fandubs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipDbNMHhwVA

I don't understand the language, but it sure sounds spot on.

ZoddGutts said:
Get the feeling this show would be popular in Japan if it aired there, just like the PowerPuff Girls.

I'm sure if someone were to make some fansubs and put it on Nico, it'd gain some popularity

eXistor

I'd just like to thank GAF for turning me on to this. I've only watched the first 3 episodes, but I'm already in love with it. Visually it's one of the most appealing shows I've ever seen and its artistry really is quite something. The songs are great, the show is funny as hell and it really is great for both kids and adults.

Subitai

eXistor said:
I'd just like to thank GAF for turning me on to this. I've only watched the first 3 episodes, but I'm already in love with it. Visually it's one of the most appealing shows I've ever seen and its artistry really is quite something. The songs are great, the show is funny as hell and it really is great for both kids and adults.
Good, now watch this!
It's a hoof to the brain in a good way.

night of pony ★ ナイト・オブ・ポニー

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Choppasmith said:
And just curious Myke, were you aware that people were working on Portuguese fandubs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipDbNMHhwVA

I don't understand the language, but it sure sounds spot on.
Thanks foi pointing that out to me, that was great, and definitely something I'd like to watch on TV. The translation work is very good, and Twilight's voice is almost exactly spot on! With a little work and the 5.1 sound source, these voices could be superimposed over the original music and sound effects... I'll think I'll try that, and post it as a response video. ;)

Too bad Youtube doesn't allow for URL's in comments, I'd really like to take this opportunity to advertise my fansub project. :/

Myke Greywolf said:
I just finished translating "Feeling Pinkie Keen", and after going through the whole script word by word (I had to!), I can just tell you something:

Even if Lauren Faust didn't mean for it to happen, there is no way that the episode's writer wasn't attempting to stealthily cram a religious message in there. Everything points to it, from Twilight's scientific attempts failing, to Pinkie asking her to make a "leap of faith", to the "doozy" being Twilight finally accepting "Pinkie sense", to the final message to princess Celestia.

I'm totally not over-analyzing here, folks. It just becomes that obvious.

Next is "Sonic Rainboom", and it will be awesome!

I didn't see it so much as stealth religion as promotion of superstition and "other ways of knowing". I find myself enjoying the cartoon but that one utterly rubbed me the wrong way. We really don't need to raise another generation of mushy brained knuckle heads do we?

Ploid 3.0

Just found out that this was done by Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends people. Loved that show even though it seemed like something for kids. Must give this a try, seems to have the same style and humor.

Ploid 3.0

Seeing some rainbow like spell in the video posted at the top of this page made me realize I might have seen My little pony cartoons when I was a kid. Care Bears too.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
eXistor said:
Great to have you on board, we expect a pony ranking soon. ;)

G-Fex

CHEEZMO™ said:
Damn Straight, brah.

Dash who faced the dragon then got blown away by him?

Who beat him? Oh right FLUTTERSHY! Same Fluttershy who's afraid of her own shadow beat the big old dragon. She made him CRY!

And Pinkie helped so that makes her tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom