• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, GAF, I finally caved.

People have been telling me to watch this for some time now, and I finally watched the first two episodes last night. It was pretty good, but extremely predictable. I'm looking forward to the post-episode-three talk, and I'm sure I'll end up liking it more.

Good stuff all around, and whoever they have animating the effects does an awesome job.
Sorry, no pony avatar for me.

Edit:
CHEEZMO™ said:
Why does nobody like Dash? :(
She's my favorite thus far.

G-Fex

CHEEZMO™ said:
367c9d9fa9b84e77bd38364d266b0eba.gif

Why does nobody like Dash? :(

I do, she has the best mane. Rainbows are awesome.

I kinda want to make a video with Pinkie Pie singing along to El Perro Del Mar's "Candy", but I have never done any video editing work before, ever. I have a Mac. Does anybody have any recommendations or is this just way too vague?

CHEEZMO™ said:
100%

Best voice too.
No way, best voice goes to Fluttershy or Twi. Edit: Your edit redeems you slightly.

Not A Fur said:
I kinda want to make a video with Pinkie Pie singing along to El Perro Del Mar's "Candy", but I have never done any video editing work before, ever. I have a Mac. Does anybody have any recommendations or is this just way too vague?
Don't Macs come with video editing software? I thought that's what they are known for. I've worked with Final Cut, Premiere and Vegas and they're all the same at a basic video editing level so it shouldn't be hard to jump in to one.

that's right I called her Twi

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mechanical Snowman said:
No way, best voice goes to Fluttershy or Twi. Edit: Your edit redeems you slightly.

The only problem with Twilight is that they have to switch voice actresses when they do a song. They don't with Rainbow Dash.

CHEEZMO™ said:
Best voice too. Actually, she's tied with Fluttershy there.

Couldn't have said it better myself, although all of the VA's for the mane six are very good at what they do. Drat, I just can't bring myself to pick favorites because everything about the show is so well done!

UberTag

Best voice is a tie between Fluttershy & Pinkie Pie.
Simply because they're BOTH voiced by Andrea Libman (except when Pinkie sings).

Evidently she also voiced a far less awesome pony named Zipzee in a number of MLP direct-to-video affairs from 2003 to 2008.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
UberTag said:
Best voice is a tie between Fluttershy & Pinkie Pie.
Simply because they're BOTH voiced by Andrea Libman (except when Pinkie sings).

Evidently she also voiced a far less awesome pony named Zipzee in a number of MLP direct-to-video affairs from 2003 to 2008.

I really don't like this when they don't just get the person singing to do the voice. Listening to a few songs from the show it's pretty obvious when they change in some parts. If you need singing and the VA can't sing, get someone else.

Do any of them pull double duty on singing?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
DrForester said:
Do any of them pull double duty on singing?

According to the credits at the end of Winter Wrap up, Ashleigh Bell pulls double duty for Rainbow Dash and Applejack in voicing and singing. So that's like, quadruple duty.

Myke Greywolf said:
Sorry, forgot the click-through link. You can click on it now to see the full size version.

I really don't like embedding enormous images here, although this is a particularly awesome one, IMHO. But I'm thinking some people might not agree with me, so I'd rather not push my luck.

How did you shrink it down like that? It looks useful to be able to shrink it to message board viewing size with a clickthrough for full size.

Steamlord

ZealousD said:
According to the credits at the end of Winter Wrap up, Ashleigh Bell pulls double duty for Rainbow Dash and Applejack in voicing and singing. So that's like, quadruple duty.
Ashleigh Ball is just that awesome. She has a great voice. Anyone who likes her singing should check out her band, Hey Ocean! (I actually discovered it in this very thread a week or two ago).

Myke Greywolf said:
I just finished translating "Feeling Pinkie Keen", and after going through the whole script word by word (I had to!), I can just tell you something:

Even if Lauren Faust didn't mean for it to happen, there is no way that the episode's writer wasn't attempting to stealthily cram a religious message in there. Everything points to it, from Twilight's scientific attempts failing, to Pinkie asking her to make a "leap of faith", to the "doozy" being Twilight finally accepting "Pinkie sense", to the final message to princess Celestia.

I'm totally not over-analyzing here, folks. It just becomes that obvious.

Next is "Sonic Rainboom", and it will be awesome!

How'd you handle the translation? Did you try to figure out the common terms in Portuguese religious debate (leap of faith, etc.) to keep the undertones the same, or did you try to write it out of the dialogue?

I think I will love you forever if you figured out what the traditional translation of Kierkegaard's leap of faith is in Portugese and rendered it that way.

Regulus Tera said:
Tomboys are overrated. OH LOOK AT ME I'M SUCH A REBEL AND MY HAIR IS MULTIPLE COLOURED AM I SPECIAL OR WHAT

Fluttershy's moeness is way more overrated. OH LOOK AT ME I'M SHY AND I'M NOT GOING TO DO SHIT BUT THIS ENGAGES THE PROTECTIVE INSTINCTS OF DUDES OR WHATEVER SO THEY'LL THINK I'M CUTE.

What do we do now?
Panic?
That's your answer for everything!

Rainbow Dash is boss.

Foxix Von

CHEEZMO™ said:
Damn Straight, brah.

Hell yeah! I don't understand why she's always at the bottom. If it weren't for Dash, Rarity wouldn't even exist for everyone to swoon over!

Also, I think I got all the new avi's edited into the wall! I think.

Jintor

The vitriol disappoints me. As per usual.

Maybe I should start being surprised by reasonable responses instead of continue to be disappointed by jerk-ass responses.

Jintor

Yeah, I actually would like it if people stopped posting unrelated MLP pictures outside the thread though. Actually, stop posting MLP pictures outside the thread. They just seem to aggravate people.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I watched some more episodes (mostly because of the hate from some at NeoGAF).

They did an entire episode based on an episode of Star Trek (Swarm of the Century). That was awesome.

And sorry guys, but I don't really like Pinky. She reminds me way to much of Excel from Excel Saga, she's not terrible, but I just think it's too much.

Dai101

Banned
Jintor said:
Yeah, I actually would like it if people stopped posting unrelated MLP pictures outside the thread though. Actually, stop posting MLP pictures outside the thread. They just seem to aggravate people.

This very much. Let's keep the Pony stuff in the Pony Thread.

G-Fex

I'm still depressed, I've been all day. No not from the pony complaining crap but I get this way if I guess I had too much energy drinks. which is why I failed to focus on any game for the past few hours. I think I'll have ice cream and watch an ep. Maybe that'll make me feel better.

Zomba13

DrForester said:
So I watched some more episodes (mostly because of the hate from some at NeoGAF).

They did an entire episode based on an episode of Star Trek (Swarm of the Century). That was awesome.

And sorry guys, but I don't really like Pinky. She reminds me way to much of Excel from Excel Saga, she's not terrible, but I just think it's too much.
Like someone posted waaaaaaaaaaay back it should have been called The Problem With Parasprites. Would have made the Star Trek connection even better.

EDIT: Also, I was in the middle of watching Psych (season 1) and I decided to check GAF before the next episode and that hate thread was there and I've been readying that now. Pysch is soooo good. Why didn't I learn of it sooner? Awesome opening theme too.

since i changed my avatar from a pony avatar, i made one and it's up for grabs for anyone who wants it:
duxyM.gif

here's another one that's up for grabs since i'm not using it now:
pinkiedanceava.gif

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
G-Fex said:
I'm still depressed, I've been all day. No not from the pony complaining crap but I get this way if I guess I had too much energy drinks. which is why I failed to focus on any game for the past few hours. I think I'll have ice cream and watch an ep. Maybe that'll make me feel better.
reEgW.gif

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
DrForester said:

The only thing I don't really care for about Pinkie Pie is her voice actor. I feel like they could have done a lot better for her than just a generic high-pitched voice.

And with this post, I officially take back my wishy-washyness about the series. This shit is like Chicken Soup for the Cold Hearted Bastard. I'm lapping it up now.

trejo

Ok, I've watched some more episodes now and I gotta say, while I do appreciate what the show's going for it doesn't seem to grab me as much as it does some of you here. At least it's better than some of the shit that gets passed around as kid's shows nowadays and some of the songs are catchy as hell.

Carry on with pride, PonyGaf. You have my blessing.

Oh, and Fluttershy>all.

Jintor

Apparently she learned the drums especially for the movie? Dedication.

Now is the appropriate time to post that My Little Pilgrim art somebody did

Is this MLP craze on GAF for the lols or is it a real fascination. Serious question, not trying to troll. I may need to watch this shit, sounds better then the drugs I do.

Jintor

BakedPigeon said:
Is this MLP craze on GAF for the lols or is it a real fascination. Serious question, not trying to troll. I may need to watch this shit, sounds better then the drugs I do.

It's real.

It's a pretty good kids show, just don't expect Ren and Stimpy or Adventure Time or Zim or anything crazy cynical/subversive like that.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
BakedPigeon said:
its real.
and its spectacular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom