• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

eso76

wizword said:
The review is great. It is funny, well written, and tells you what the game is about. Ignore the fanboy bullshit here right now.

that review actually tries too hard to be funny. Sounds like she approached the game with the intent of mocking the results of such a long development period.
I also don't think drawing inspiration from Lynch can be considered resorting to cliches; a lot of the stuff she mentions might be rather common in movies, but i don't recall many videogames doing this and we've known and accepted this was like an unofficial adaptation of a Stephen King's novel in videogame form long ago; her complaints about the main character sounding melodramatic and not being an athlete also sound pretty gratuitous,

Having said that a lot of her complaints sound valid (ammo scattered around, find button to proceed, linearity and an overall derivative game structure) and there's many keen observations on aspects other reviewers generally can't see or are too dumb to point out.
Sounds like the game lost a lot of its ambition along the way and turned into a pretty standard and rather dated survival horror game (as far as game mechanics go at least) with great graphics and sound, good narrative and incredible atmosphere. If that's what you're looking for in video games you'll probably still love it, then.

Gametrailers review should be going up soon. Don't watch it if you don't want to be spoiled, as with all GT reviews. "Alan Wake review" is already posted on their main page, just not the review itself yet :lol

Saty

Disappointing scores. The issues and critiques mentioned are disheartning, and it's not only from Eurogamer's review.

Mush

Shogun PaiN said:
Damn people really are far too eager at the moment. Lets wait until more of the positive reviews are added first chief before making daft comments.
It was just a joke dude.

Truant

I think the scores are fine for this type of game. My only real issue is the switch flipping, which is like the worst thing in games ever.

pakkit

Banned
Maybe it's just me that heard "the story doesn't end neatly" and wanted to play the game more?

That said, the heavy character narration is kind of annoying. I don't like stories that tell you what's happening, instead of show you or expose you to the story through dialogue.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
went to the barbershop for a new haircut this morning ( well it's still morning here ) , in my way home I checked the game store ( same street ) for my SEGA posters , and holy fucking fuck , tons of pirated copies of Alan Wake , game got leaked and pirated already , seriously the fuck is this shit ?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Totobeni said:
went to the barbershop for a new haircut this morning ( well it's still morning here ) , in my way home I checked the game store ( same street ) for my SEGA posters , and holy fucking fuck , tons of pirated copies of Alan Wake , game got leaked and pirated already , seriously the fuck is this shit ?

Stores selling pirated copies ?

wat ?

FrankT

Saty said:
Disappointing scores. The issues and critiques mentioned are disheartning, and it's not only from Eurogamer's review.

The Scores we have so far put in around 88 which is far from what I would call dissapointing;

10/10 – itwire
10/10 hardgame
95 - Gamingtrend
92 PlantX360
92 - X360A
9.1 FileFront
9.1 411
IGN 9.0
9.0 Justpushstart
90 - Videogamer
90 - Meritstation
90 - CV&G
18/20 - Xbox-mag.net
87 – Pelit
87 GP Germany
85 - IGN AU
85 - NZ gamer
84 GA
83 1up
80 GiantBomb
80 - Eurogamer Spain
70 - Eurogamer

More than solid I'd say. Not to say it is without flaws however.

conman

eso76 said:
I also don't think drawing inspiration from Lynch can be considered resorting to cliches; a lot of the stuff she mentions might be rather common in movies, but i don't recall many videogames doing this and we've known and accepted this was like an unofficial adaptation of a Stephen King's novel in videogame form long ago; her complaints about the main character sounding melodramatic and not being an athlete also sound pretty gratuitous
It's like she missed one of the central concepts of the game:
the game only seems derivative because Wake is a total hack who can't come up with an original idea to save his life. So naturally his world would be full of horror novel/movie cliches.

Just took a glance at some reviews. So it would appear it's not quite the GOTY material some were hoping for, but still a very good to excellent game, depending on who you ask. Seems to be quite in line with previous Remedy releases, and considering Max Payne games are some of my favorite ever, I can't wait to give Alan Wake a whirl.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
chandoog said:
Stores selling pirated copies ?

wat ?

welcome to the the third world my dude.

and for some even funnier info to you , these stores sell only modded Xboxes/Wii these days ( it's really a shit hole here ). :(

conman

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Seems to be quite in line with previous Remedy releases, and considering Max Payne games are some of my favorite ever, I can't wait to give Alan Wake a whirl.
This.

Fans of Max Payne 2 will love this game.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
miladesn said:
Most reviewers play games on easy difficulty, rushing through them to write the review before the deadline :p.

You know this how? You took a survey? Hard data? OK then.

Alan Wake doesn't even have an easy setting, FYI.

Foil

Probably shouldn't have watched that Quick Look, but damn the lighting and overall visual design/atmosphere is incredible. Even if the game has some flaws I know I'm going to love this. Why some of you guys obsess so much over review scores is beyond me.

Most likely it's not a Cliffhanger ending, but a LYNCH ending. I like that :D

I have a feeling that I might end up loving the shit out of this game after watching Bright Falls.
Couldn't care less about review scores, some review monkey will never be able to predict my enjoyment of a video game. Latest example: Nier.

Jtyettis said:
The Scores we have so far put in around 88 which is far from what I would call dissapointing;

10/10 – itwire
10/10 hardgame
95 - Gamingtrend
92 PlantX360
92 - X360A
9.1 FileFront
9.1 411
IGN 9.0
9.0 Justpushstart
90 - Videogamer
90 - Meritstation
90 - CV&G
18/20 - Xbox-mag.net
87 – Pelit
87 GP Germany
85 - IGN AU
85 - NZ gamer
84 GA
83 1up
80 GiantBomb
80 - Eurogamer Spain
70 - Eurogamer

More than solid I'd say. Not to say it is without flaws however.

Still very excited for this... the GOTY hype though... where from?

_Xenon_ said:
So the main plot is indeed 8 hours long and the ending is more like a DLC bait ... sounds like a weekend rent to me :(

Well, if you base your decisions on one review, another could tell you that the game is 15 hours long.

ShogunX

metareferential said:
Well, if you base your decisions on one review, another could tell you that the game is 15 hours long.

I guess it depends on your style of play. I will be trying to get all of the manuscripts and the other items such as the sight seeing ones that give you a bit of history about Bright Falls.

Hammer24

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:
I will be trying to get all of the manuscripts and the other items such as the sight seeing ones that give you a bit of history about Bright Falls.

Its a story driven game, where the collectibles expand on the story. You NEED to get them all, to get the full experience.
While I´m not too hot on the idea of having to go through the game twice, I´ll probably spend more than enough time wandering around trying to find the stuff.

Instro

Eh I had $20 in Best Buy reward zone credit that I needed to use so I went for this, looks right up my ally.

adamsapple

Watching the GB quick look, and this game plays significantly different than what I had envisioned. Definitely a pleasent surprise.

voltron

Shogun PaiN said:
I guess it depends on your style of play. I will be trying to get all of the manuscripts and the other items such as the sight seeing ones that give you a bit of history about Bright Falls.

Exactly.

Not to mention just general exploration, and oh shit TAKING YOUR TIME ON AND ENJOYING SOMETHING THAT TOOK OVER 5 YEARS TO MAKE.

Instro

I dont want to spoil anything for myself, but how much is exploration a factor in the game anyway? Cause this seems like a perfect game to just wander around and find shit in.

SamuraiX-

Instro said:
I dont want to spoil anything for myself, but how much is exploration a factor in the game anyway? Cause this seems like a perfect game to just wander around and find shit in.

The GameTrailers review said that the game is generally very linear, getting you from point A to point B in style. However, there are some nooks and crannies along your path that you can explore. I imagine it's pretty comparable to the RE4/RE5 exploration perspective.

adamsapple

Can't help but draw parallels to Deadly Premonition listening to Brad and Ryan talking about the game, i'm sure i'm not the only one :lol

Top Bottom