• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

PBY

Banned
guys, just finished it; i know this game has gotten some iffy reviews, but heres my take:
-My game of the generation so far. I know its high praise, but everything just "worked" for me; the balance between cutscenes/story/gameplay, the combat itself, and the best story in videogames this gen

11/10

UrbanRats

peterb0y said:
guys, just finished it; i know this game has gotten some iffy reviews, but heres my take:
-My game of the generation so far. I know its high praise, but everything just "worked" for me; the balance between cutscenes/story/gameplay, the combat itself, and the best story in videogames this gen

11/10
Really? Have you played Shattered Memories? (asking for comparison purpose :p)

Hey guys, I'm honestly a bit surprised by some of the reviews. Granted, I haven't played the game much myself, but our reviewer had a slightly different take, if you're curious:

Video Review:
http://www.gamexplain.com/article-77-1273275999-alan-wake-video-review.html

And for those still on 56k (do you still exist?), our text review:
http://www.gamexplain.com/article-76-1273254409-alan-wake-review.html

UrbanRats said:
Really? Have you played Shattered Memories? (asking for comparison purpose :p)

Again, I haven't played Alan Wake, but I watched our reviewer play through the whole thing. IMO, Shattered Memories integrated the story into the gameplay to much greater effect; it's just a shame that it seems not many people actually played it.

Requeim

redbarchetta said:
Hey guys, I'm honestly a bit surprised by some of the reviews. Granted, I haven't played the game much myself, but our reviewer had a slightly different take, if you're curious:

i agree totally with your review

except for the part about the writing and story, i really like that

soco

redbarchetta said:

let's do the opposite of the other sites to get clicks!

PBY

Banned
For those saying the combat is "repetitive",
A. It does vary up a little throughout the game
B. More importantly, it is doled out sparingly enough that it never gets old/boring
C. The mechanics are solid and fun

however, the story is absolutely phenomenal, and I loved the way they episodically broke up the narrative

have to say I disagree with the above reviewer

BlazingDarkness said:
i really don't like Alan's internal narration all the time :/
It's kind of...really dumb. I can understand what they were going for, I just don't think I appreciate it at all. Maybe once I am playing the game I won't notice that much though.

derFeef

I like how people tell us how dumb or bad some thing is, altough they have not played the game yet, or just watched someone playing it. Hm, will see when I get my hands on the game tomorrow or the day after.

conman

redbarchetta said:
Hey guys, I'm honestly a bit surprised by some of the reviews. Granted, I haven't played the game much myself, but our reviewer had a slightly different take, if you're curious
These two lines seem like a fundamental problem with the review:
it never fully forms into what I was waiting for, which was something that would give me a scare. It's not that I'm a horror buff, either, I don't even like watching horror movies in theatres.
Sounds to me like the wrong person wrote the review (comma splice aside).

Tokubetsu

peterb0y said:
For those saying the combat is "repetitive",
A. It does vary up a little throughout the game
B. More importantly, it is doled out sparingly enough that it never gets old/boring
C. The mechanics are solid and fun

however, the story is absolutely phenomenal, and I loved the way they episodically broke up the narrative

have to say I disagree with the above reviewer

How are you already playing it =/

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
man is something wrong with me ? Somehow , usually, when gaf de-hypes something I go along with it, but when it comes to Alan Wake ( and Lost Planet 2 ) its seems that no negative review / impression in the world will stop me from atleast giving the games a fair try.

I wonder if this is a bad thing, what if I buy it and I hate the games and then that cocky part of my brain goes all " see I told you so, you should've listened ".

Corky said:
man is something wrong with me ? Somehow , usually, when gaf de-hypes something I go along with it, but when it comes to Alan Wake ( and Lost Planet 2 ) its seems that no negative review / impression in the world will stop me from atleast giving the games a fair try.

I wonder if this is a bad thing, what if I buy it and I hate the games and then that cocky part of my brain goes all " see I told you so, you should've listened ".
Since most of GAF haven't played the game, most of GAF shouldn't have his or her opinion ready. GAF isn't de-hyping, at least isn't yet.

soco

redbarchetta said:
The opposite of 5-stars is not 3. Our three star rating = good. It's a decent experience with, what we felt, were some significant problems.

which is what a bunch of reviews have said. (though significant is a word with lots of play) so why then would you be surprised that "some" have differing views? why should you then feel a need to pimp your "reviewers" review? everyone over the age of about 4 should be used to people having different opinions.

this for a game you didn't even play but apparently watched your reviewer play in its entirety.

soco said:
everyone over the age of about 4 should be used to people having different opinions.

Where did I suggest otherwise? Being "surprised" does not mean others cannot feel differently and I'm "surprised" that's what you took from my comment.

soco said:
this for a game you didn't even play but apparently watched your reviewer play in its entirety.

I felt that the review might provide a different type of insight that I hadn't seen expressed much elsewhere. There is no right or wrong, hence the "background check" section of our (very much subjective) reviews. And seeing as it's a game not many have played (legally, at least), I thought it might be something worth sharing.

Just played through the first two chapters. I'm loving it. Fantastic writing and atmosphere so far. Great soundtrack too. Game looks gorgeous, all these talks about graphics were just nonsense. It's true that the gameplay feels very basic though, but it's not a bad thing at all, gunplay still feels great. For now it's a bit repetitive though. About the gameplay, it's very similar to Max Payne I would say, the game is built around 2/3 gimmicks but they work.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
LordPhoque said:
Just played through the first two chapters. I'm loving it. Fantastic writing and atmosphere so far. Great soundtrack too. Game looks gorgeous, all these talks about graphics were just nonsense. It's true that the gameplay feels very basic though, but it's not a bad thing at all, gunplay still feels great. For now it's a bit repetitive though. About the gameplay, it's very similar to Max Payne I would say, the game is built around 2/3 gimmicks but they work.

Is it scary at all ?

derFeef

Where is the advertising Microsoft? 3 days left here in EU and one week in US. I have seen Red Dead ad´s on TV already on German TV stations.

Pooya

derFeef said:
Where is the advertising Microsoft? 3 days left here in EU and one week in US. I have seen Red Dead ad´s on TV already on German TV stations.
The only Alan Wake ads I've seen so far are the lame flash ads on Gamespot/Gamefaqs and some other sites :|.

adamsapple

metareferential said:
Does anyone know if there's an option to disable the hud?

Nope, the devs have said as much multiple times on the official forums. HUD can't be disabled or faded.

TheVampire said:
Im upto chapter 4 and it seems to be more action than horror.
Maybe just 2 or 3 times ive jumped.
once you get used to the scares it becomes a matter of tone and not frightening or something. as i mentioned earlier i have a weak constitution when it comes to most horror games and i played through this just fine, sans a few jumps

Hammer24

Banned
Larsen B said:
Are the remaining Bright Falls episodes not going to be available on Marketplace?

#4 is up on the Bright Falls website. But I´m wondering too, why those aren´t on the MP.
PS: Don´t forget to check the new "Alan´s Story" things.

I'm a sucker for atmospheric games so I really really hope it comes to PC one day. I heard from some people that it nailed the atmosphere even better than Bioshock.

commissar

Discotheque said:
I'm a sucker for atmospheric games so I really really hope it comes to PC one day. I heard from some people that it nailed the atmosphere even better than Bioshock.
The environments just ooze atmosphere. So good.
though the camera showing when enemies arrive kills the tension somewhat :/

Mr_Zombie

If anyone is interested, a Polish site - GameOnly - reviewed "Alan Wake".
Graphics: 8
Sound: 10
Gameplay: 8
Overall: 9-

Pros:
- Interesting and innovative style of narration;
- Very good shooting mechanics that doesn't get boring;
- Perfectly picked soundtrack that fits the atmosphere;
- Lighting effects;

Cons:
- Ugly and stiff NPC's animations;
- No memorable moments;

http://gameonly.pl/recenzja/alan-wake-recenzja

chandoog said:
Nope, the devs have said as much multiple times on the official forums. HUD can't be disabled or faded.

I find that totally bizarre when they are supposedly going for this immersion into a creepy world. But every shot I've seen has your objective stuck there on screen in big white letters. Way to remind us we are playing a game.

Plus I believe it is fairly linear, so quite why you need a nursemaid reminding you of your objective is beyond me.

commissar

state_vector_collapse said:
Plus I believe it is fairly linear, so quite why you need a nursemaid reminding you of your objective is beyond me.
It seems like it was this sweet immersive scary experience about a year ago. Then they focus tested it with goldfish, and what tension was originally there was killed because Johnny couldn't remember what the fuck he was supposed to do, or forgot that maybe, just maybe the woods aren't safe, so he should keep alert.

deathberry

Neo Member
Finished Episode 3 last night and posted up initial impressions on my blog. Anyways, I'm gonna get some flaming, but here are my thoughts on what I've played so far:

The story looks interesting, but nothing great. Like Max Payne, the shooting feels good, and there’s some signature Remedy bullet-time in there which feels rather out of place and doesn’t add to the gameplay. Each of the 6 chapters (or at least the first 3 I’ve played so far) is structured with extreme linearity. There are some very nicely presented cutscenes with great direction, also the game’s gorgeous visuals and extremely pretty lighting system helps a lot. And there are some moments where you will be genuinely scared shitless, but that’s as good as it gets. Your objective for each episode is to reach from point A to B, only to find out something got in your way and now you have to go to point C, then D, then E, then you get the idea.

The story has no proper structure, flashbacks and strange sightings are mixed in with no hint of any coherence as the game moves forward. People do inexplicably stupid things (
like that FBI officer who keeps shooting you!
) and enemies are limited to you being attacked by a group of possessed people, coupled with environmental damage (“possessed” barrels or boards falling on you) and frackin’ possessed crows! So all you do is take an extremely tedious journey through the forest (or a coal mine or up a mountain), fighting these possessed beings with long ass stretches of you just climbing up and running along, watching the glorious, but ultimately boring scenery. And at the end of all your frustrating hard work, you’re greeted with another weird cutscene of “Surprise bitch! You don’t know WHAT just happened, but that shit was FREAKY, right?? Now start walking in the forest again in search of your
dead
wife!“

The wife spoiler:
I could be wrong, only finished half the game.

My initial impression based on roughly 5 hours of gameplay is to save your money now. Spend it on maybe Red Dead Redemption or Split/Second or Blur. Pick this up in the bargain bin or ebay a couple of weeks later.

adamsapple

I just hope they add the HUD disabling option with any future DLC or even a title update down the line, so far that seems to be the only major gripe against the game I can come up with.

Tonza

Luckily I got an order in for a retailer that had mispriced the LE for 39,90 euros which is cheaper than ordering from UK. (usually games are 60 euros here)
The normal edition was 54 euros at the time. (Now the normal is 39 and LE 49)

Can't wait. Should be shipping tomorrow.

derFeef

Tisan said:
It seems like it was this sweet immersive scary experience about a year ago. Then they focus tested it with goldfish, and what tension was originally there was killed because Johnny couldn't remember what the fuck he was supposed to do, or forgot that maybe, just maybe the woods aren't safe, so he should keep alert.
Whats with the testing you bring up everytime? It makes no sense at all and t´s like you are on a perosnal crusade.
deathberry said:
impression
Hm, I am going to withhold my opinion until I played it and I can respect yours. But Blur and Split/Second? Really, if I want to play a racing game I am going to buy a racing game and not Alan Wake.

And please, broaden your spoiler tags, they are bit obvious. Grr.

deathberry

Neo Member
derFeef said:
Hm, I am going to withhold my opinion until I played it and I can respect yours. But Blur and Split/Second? Really, if I want to play a racing game I am going to buy a racing game and not Alan Wake.

Just named some games that are coming out in the same week.

commissar

derFeef said:
Whats with the testing you bring up everytime?
Testing seems the most obvious reason as to why the game feels dumbed down? Makes sense to me, as going by Remedy's history I found Max Payne to be less polished and less "accessible", but ultimately felt more rewarding to me.
I guess the disappointment is not entirely out of my system yet, but if it bothers you I'll refrain from mentioning it further.

For what it's worth I do actually like the game despite my issues :)

El_Victor

Mr_Zombie said:
If anyone is interested, a Polish site - GameOnly - reviewed "Alan Wake".
Graphics: 8
Sound: 10
Gameplay: 8
Overall: 9-

Pros:
- Interesting and innovative style of narration;
- Very good shooting mechanics that doesn't get boring;
- Perfectly picked soundtrack that fits the atmosphere;
- Lighting effects;

Cons:
- Ugly and stiff NPC's animations;
- No memorable moments;

http://gameonly.pl/recenzja/alan-wake-recenzja

Spoiler pic (episode 4, perhaps?): http://pici.se/pictures/kPRAnxnfT.jpg
If that's not a memorable moment, I don't know what is.

deathberry said:
Just named some games that are coming out in the same week.

Since you were so heavily criticizing the narrative structure, could you name a few games you think they did that right, this gen?

Haven't played AW yet, and I don't want to be spoiled about anything, so having another game as a comparison (in the quality of the narrative, not in the narrative itself) could help.

Top Bottom