• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

ACE 1991

ACE 1991 said:
It's far more gamey than heavy rain from what I can tell however.

mescalineeyes said:
yeah but it tries way less innovative stuff than Heavy Rain.

:lol Well... Duh?

EDIT: Amazon isn't offering release date delivery for Alan Wake? That's bizzare, every game I've ordered since upgrading to amazon prime has had free release date delivery for new games.

Hawkie said:
Not so imo. Normal is Easy and Hard is Normal for anyone remotely competent with a controller.

I agree with this so much.
Ive been playing the game for the first time and started on Hard and it seems perfect.

~Kinggi~

Banned
ACE 1991 said:

EDIT: Amazon isn't offering release date delivery for Alan Wake? That's bizzare, every game I've ordered since upgrading to amazon prime has had free release date delivery for new games.
They are offering release date for the LE.

ACE 1991 said:

Maybe they changed it due to demand but I got release date shipping for my LE.

RS4-

cjelly said:
Is Nightmare difficulty unlocked from the off?

No, just normal and hard.

I'm only at Chapter 2, while my brother has managed to finish it. He wasn't really impressed, I didn't ask him about details.

burgerdog

soco said:
Its amazon so they'll try, but they just won't guarantee it.

If you have some temporary cash around, you could buy it from a b&m and retturn the amazon when it comes ;)
I may just hit a B&M that always breaks street days if Amazon doesn't restock soon.

soco

burgerdog said:
I may just hit a B&M that always breaks street days if Amazon doesn't restock soon.

You won't know until the day or twoo before. They prollyb won't tell you. Youcan try and check the date estimation...

burgerdog

soco said:
You won't know until the day or twoo before. They prollyb won't tell you. Youcan try and check the date estimation...
Eh, it happened before when I moved from CA to NY and had to change my shipping address. That time they removed RDD and put it back up a week before release. I'm not too worried about the whole thing. I'd just rather give my money to amazon, if not then I can easily get it anywhere else.

chris121580

Finished this over the weekend. Such an incredible game. I can't stress enough how awesome the set piece is at the farm. One of the coolest things I've experienced in a video game.

chris121580 said:
Finished this over the weekend. Such an incredible game. I can't stress enough how awesome the set piece is at the farm. One of the coolest things I've experienced in a video game.
it's true, and i know what you're talking about ;D

any idea what your playtime was?

K' Dash

chris121580 said:

It reminded me so much of Brutal Legend :lol awesome.

I'm almost at the end and it's geting progresively difficult, it really has become about surviving and run or die situations, fuck me, the sweaty palm.

I'm in love.

Rad-

Remedy seems pleased about the reception so far:

Yeah, we don't really look at the Metascore all that much. It'd be nice if it was really high, of course, but considering how much praise we've gotten this far, we feel pretty good about the whole thing.

Clearly, it's been a critical success; the fact that some people feel differently about it doesn't change the fact that of the scores listed in the first post of this thread, there are eight perfect scores, and over 40 give us a 9 or a better. Only 7 reviews have given us a score of less than 8. That tells us in no uncertain terms that there's a lot of love for Alan Wake out there, and we'd have to be complete goddamn idiots to not be satisfied with that. I mean, sure, the next time, we definitely hope to top that, it's nice to have something to aim for, but we're pretty damn far from disappointed.

Well, it's certainly no secret that we'd love to make a second one if the first one does well. But since the game isn't even out yet, it's really up in the air.

http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?p=79709#post79709

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sounds great, here's hoping the game charts well enough too.

Btw is this game using Bink video too by any chance ?

conman said:
Hmmm. I'm usually pretty sensitive to things like tearing. Only noticed it briefly in a couple of daylight sequences. No big deal at all. Regardless, I'd take tearing over framerate issues any day.

The engine only tears when it drops frames. If the game is tearing then you're getting both.

brain_stew said:
The engine only tears when it drops frames. If the game is tearing then you're getting both.

True, I said as much earlier, but it's also worth noting that if the game didn't drop v-sync under stress, frame drops would be more severe.

lherre

Accurate
Only for the people that has beaten the game ... AW DLC

There is 2 DLC incoming.

The first one (I think is for the code you have when you purchase de game) is called "Deja Vu" and tries to clarify the game's end.

The second one is called "The writer in the cabin" and talks about the nightmares that suffers Alan Wake and how he tries to not to drown on them.

I tried to translate the titles of both, maybe is different in other languages.

The tentative price is 1200 MS Points

derFeef

^^ must not read!

Anyone saw that book? Looks interesting.
http://www.primagames.com/guides/display.php?isbn=9780307470140

In Alan Wake Illuminated, take an in-depth look at the studio and the process behind creating the psychological action thriller Alan Wake. Created by Microsoft Games Studios, this collectible hardcover examines how Remedy created Alan Wake, and gives insight into the production, from creating visual prototypes and building the world of Bright Falls, to casting the voice actors and crafting the mood, atmosphere, and plot of Alan Wake's Episodes.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

chris121580

Mr. Spinnington said:
it's true, and i know what you're talking about ;D

any idea what your playtime was?
It was right around 10.5 hours. I explored a little bit but not too far off the path. I'm definitely going to run through it again. I loved every minute of it, especially once I got used to the combat. I really hope we get the DLC episodes sooner than later.

My whole weekend was spent going to various 7-11's, blockbusters, and walmarts picking out the more dim-witted of the general employees(The easiest part of the task) and attempting to get the game early. Alas I failed time and time again due to either outright ignorance("Alan Wake? No sorry he quit a couple months ago") or just not having the game. The long wait continues.

BruceLeeRoy said:
My whole weekend was spent going to various 7-11's, blockbusters, and walmarts picking out the more dim-witted of the general employees(The easiest part of the task) and attempting to get the game early. Alas I failed time and time again due to either outright ignorance("Alan Wake? No sorry he quit a couple months ago") or just not having the game. The long wait continues.

Bruce... I feel your pain. The same thing happened to me! :lol

In terms of those video sequences, the majority of that 3.74GB is dedicated to over 60 cinematic sequences that account for around 80 minutes of playback.

since they allocated so much space to videos i take it this means they're properly encoded and not bitrate starved.

BruceLeeRoy said:
As mean as it is I am happy there are other people apparently not playing the game early. :D

Same here! Also glad most people are coming away with positive remarks! Damn though...why do the people at my local K-mart have to be smart lol.

Majora

Just got my Edge copy and immediately flicked to the Alan Wake review. It's definitely a positive 7 and has reignited my hope for the game. Some quotes

At times it's hard not to notice the incremental changes effected during the games protacted development...sprawling forest environments and incongruous, empty driving sequences hint at the original open-world concept

...such is the cleverness of Alan Wake's narrative structure...it's a neat, non-linear way of telling a story in an essentially linear game..at its cleverest it plays with your expectations, and even embroiders them, in one of the cleverest scare tactics in recent horror game memory.

Carefully pushing back advancing hordes with the torch and setting up temporary safe zones with cunningly placed flares before selecting your next target proves meatily enjoyable...for the most part it works wonders.

But while the plot moves with all the pace of a pulp paperback, the gameplay struggles to keep pace. The solid combat fails to develop beyond throwing more enemies at Wake, puzzles are rarely more than perfunctory and the set-pieces only really set the pulse racing in the game's final hours.

Ultimately Alan Wake is every bit as compulsive and satisfying as the fiction on which it riffs, but it also runs the risk of being equally forgettable. It's a game that delivers the requisite number of twists, turns and thrills, but the only real revelations take place on those scattered manuscript pages. As a franchise, Alan Wake's future is assured - Remedy is already working on downloadable content and has plans for a sequel - but next time around the action will need to keep pace with the deft plotting [7]

Requeim

just finished it at my cousins house (since i don't own a 360)

the gameplay was overall pretty meh, i mean having to use your flashlight is a really great idea, but after the first couple of episodes they don't really do anything different with it. A lot of scenarios are reused again and again and it just gets old too fast. There are some good set pieces (the farm etc.), but they are too few and too far in between.

The gunplay itself is pretty good, but we're talking about remedy here, so i wouldn't expect anything less

The graphics are nothing special really, but the lighting is awesome which helps a lot.

One of the things i was very pleasantly surprised by, was the sound design. It is very, very good. The voice acting is good, except for barry's voice, i didn't really care for that.

The story has it's up and downs, but overall it is pretty damn amazing. The ending didn't turn out quite as i had hoped, but oh well.

anyway if i could choose any 360 game to come over to the dark side, i'd probably be this

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
TheLegendary said:
Maybe they changed it due to demand but I got release date shipping for my LE.
~Kinggi~ said:
They are offering release date for the LE.
I pre-ordered the standard a week ago and got release day delivery, but again, maybe it's already changed with the amount of demand.

Top Bottom