• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Got my CE today. I especially like that it was shrinkwrapped in plastic as all collector's editions should be, and not just sealed with crappy round stickers. *coughBioware/EAcough*

BluWacky

Sloane said:
All I'd want is more day levels.

What would you do in them other than wander round? I haven't finished the game yet so I can't comment on the second half, but it's a bit like playing Dreamfall; you run between cutscene triggers until the game decides to make it night-time and bring in the gameplay again. There's potential there to do SOMETHING, but they'd really need to expand the scope of the gameplay.

I'm saving my main thoughts on the game until I've finished, but I'm not massively impressed thus far. I don't think it's a bad game by any means; I just find the negatives more annoying than most people seem to.

Sloane

Banned
Truant said:
I liked the daytime stuff. Could have had more adventure game elements, like solving puzzles and stuff.
Yeah, I'd like to do more exploration during the day. I became a bit bored by the night levels after chapter 2 or so, and the day stuff felt like a nice diversion, even though you can't really do much.

Hammer24

Banned
Sloane said:
Yeah, I'd like to do more exploration during the day. I became a bit bored by the night levels after chapter 2 or so, and the day stuff felt like a nice diversion, even though you can't really do much.

If they´d simply concentrated the collectibles part more on the daylight aspect, that´d help the freeroam and exploration feeling. Yeah, thats something to add to the wishlist.

Finished it the other night. I enjoyed it, it's a good game but it had the potential to be a lot better.

Graphically the environments were beautiful but closer up the textures on certain things were some of the worst I've seen. Flat and poor quality. Voice acting let it down in places and ruined the mood in some scenes, lip-syncing was just embarrassing. Characters on the whole weren't great, I had no love for them and Alan is just a boring/dull main character.

Great atmosphere, really well done. I liked the light concept and I never got bored of that. Bit naff though every chapter making you lose your belongings though. Could have really done with more exploring the town and more set pieces and shock moments. There were too few of those. Think there was few genuine suprises in the game though. I always knew something was about to happen and more often than not it did.

Overall I good game, let down by a few things. 7/10

eXistor

The more I'm playing the more I love it. I love the way they handled ther locations, they're all very very well thought out. Every house or cabin you investigate has its own feel and look to it even if you can't really do anything in them. I'm up to Episode 5 now (I want to stretch the game a bit so I can segue into Red Dead Redemption). This is gonna turn out to be one of favo games this year for sure.

Hammer24

Banned
Pride said:
Not sure this is a spoiler but something cool I found...
During a couple scenes take a close look at the paintings/posters on the walls. What might look like modern art (gray & black with white circles) is actually a barcode you can scan with the mobile software @ microsoft.com/tag.

Found here...

The last one I found was when Alan flashbacked to him and his wife in an apartment, its on the wall in his den you have to scan it before you talk to Alice otherwise the lights go out and you cant scan it. I found one before this but cant remember where.

Wait WHAT?! You got a screenshot/off screen pic somewhere? You might as well post that here.

MacBosse

Playing it now. Really enjoying it so far. The graphics are awesome (not a pixel addict, but I do enjoy nice graphics)!

Episode 2 spoiler:
Wow I love all the Max Payne references in the appartment section. The painkillers in the cabinet really takes me back!

Truant

Sloane said:

It would be cool to have an episode where you explored the same part of the forest at both day and nighttime.

Dries

MacBosse said:
Playing it now. Really enjoying it so far. The graphics are awesome (not a pixel addict, but I do enjoy nice graphics)!

Episode 2 spoiler:
Wow I love all the Max Payne references in the appartment section. The painkillers in the cabinet really takes me back!

Yeah, that was neat.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Fuck. I waited all day and now after I finally order it they pull this shit? F U AMAZON! :lol

I just called and got Amazon to refund me $10 to match the price.

They gave me some garbage about a "price matching" policy being no longer valid since september 2008 but they would make a one time exception for me.

Was armed with this information:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468502

Pre-Order Price Guarantee

Amazon.com's price for not-yet-released items sometimes changes between the time the item is listed for sale and the time it is released and shipped. Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, video game, or software item, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you place your order and the release date. The order summary in Your Account will reflect the lowest price within 24 hours of the price change.

Our Pre-Order Price Guarantee applies only to items sold by Amazon.com, and not to items (or prices) offered by other sellers on our site.

If your order enters the shipping process before the release date and the price is lowered on the release date, we will automatically refund your credit card for the difference between the price you were charged and the release-date price. If you didn't use a credit card to pay for your order, please contact customer service through the Contact Us button on the right side of any Help page.

Good Luck!

barkers crest said:

They gave me some garbage about a "price matching" policy being no longer valid since september 2008 but they would make a one time exception for me.

Good Luck!

Nah, I got it at walmart since it was cheaper but I preferred to get it at amazon since it's cheaper yet with free shipping and no tax. I waited until like 5pm and then ordered from walmart instead but amazon did wind up price matching. :/

Tokubetsu

barkers crest said:

Good Luck!

LE or regular?

Side note: I don't know if I like how Bright Falls ended. Maybe I'll appreciate it more once I've played/finished the game.

mYm|17|

wooo called Amazon and they credited me back 10 bucks, so I basically got the game for 39.99 cause I used my SSF4 game credit.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What would you do in them other than wander round? I haven't finished the game yet so I can't comment on the second half, but it's a bit like playing Dreamfall; you run between cutscene triggers until the game decides to make it night-time and bring in the gameplay again. There's potential there to do SOMETHING, but they'd really need to expand the scope of the gameplay.
I think simply exploring the world even without any sort of "gameplay" could be rewarding and interesting if handled properly. If the atmosphere were right, it could work.

Tokubetsu said:
LE or regular?

Side note: I don't know if I like how Bright Falls ended. Maybe I'll appreciate it more once I've played/finished the game.

Regular. I'm pretty sure that neither lowered the price on the LE.

I thought the episodes ended really well btw.

barkers crest said:
Regular. I'm pretty sure that neither lowered the price on the LE.

I thought the episodes ended really well btw.

I loved how the mini-show ended personally. It just really showed what occurs
to the people being controlled and taken by the darkness
which I thought was awesome.

JesseZao

Just grabbed the standard from amazon. $40 games fo life! The credit will go towards smg2. So since i use free shipping i have about a week to finish deadly premonition.

stupei

Had to stop last night about midway through Episode 5, but just wanted to say that I absolutely love the end of Episode 4. All of it.
Love the song, especially how it sounds playing down in the living room when you first turn the power back on.

Dries

Just started episode 4. Just
escaped the Cauldron Lake Lodge
. The story is starting to get reeeeaally interesting now. Can't wait to see where it goes! Love it.

Just picked this up from Gamestop!

Is there a GAF consensus on whether or not one should install this game to their hard drives? Are the load times long in this game?

derFeef

TenshiOni said:
Just picked this up from Gamestop!

Is there a GAF consensus on whether or not one should install this game to their hard drives? Are the load times long in this game?
There are no "loadtimes" because the game loads during cinematics. If you skip the cinematic it needs some seconds, not very long. (I have it installed)

Can you return this game to a walmart store since there is an online giftcard involved? I feel like just ordering from amazon and then returning the walmart one since I can't cancel.

Cant0na

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Can you return this game to a walmart store since there is an online giftcard involved? I feel like just ordering from amazon and then returning the walmart one since I can't cancel.
you can return it unopened without a receipt and they'll give you 60$ instore credit.

Hawk269

I picked up my L.E. last night and was up until about 2am playing (I was up at 5 am the day before for work, so I could not last any longer). Anyways, for starters the L.E. packaging and what it comes with is very impressive. It is very well put together and the quality of the book and all is very good.

The game itself is pretty impressive. I did not finish the first episode, but played enough to comment on the game. Unlike many, I was pretty impressed with the first day time sequence when you are on the ferry with your wife. I was actually cringing a bit when it first loaded up since I have heard how bad the daytime levels are and to my suprise it was very impressive. I think the main reason was the scale of it, as the ferry is going down the river and everything that is happening in the background like trains going, planes landing on the water etc. It was impressive.

For me, yes, I can tell the lower res of the game, but honestly, it is so impressive that you look past it. It is mainly a little bluriness that does it. Also the screen tearing is visible, but so far not that bad to me and I really hate screeen tearing. Atmostphere and sound effects are incredible and the game really creates tension.

Even though I have not played very much at all, I am really impressed so far with the game.

Metalic Sand said:
Anyone order from gamestop and get a tracking # that doesnt work? :/ :(

Also really weird its shipped but i didnt get charged.....

What does it start out with? They sometimes link the tracking number to the wrong company. So the number is valid but it goes to the wrong company's website.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What does it start out with? They sometimes link the tracking number to the wrong company. So the number is valid but it goes to the wrong company's website.

1ZX45

Its also shorter than my last order.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What site did it link you to? I think that's a ups #.

USPS. I think thats always there default shipping site. Ill try UPS.

Edit: You were Correct, it was a UPS #. Much thanks :D

Edit 2: Holy shit at it saying its going to be delivered today when i chose free shipping of 5-10 days. !!! hype

Gowans

Just made it to the end of Ep 3 and this game is blowing away my expectations.

Really enjoying it in a genre I've never cared for.

Metalic Sand said:
USPS. I think thats always there default shipping site. Ill try UPS.

Edit: You were Correct, it was a UPS #. Much thanks :D

Edit 2: Holy shit at it saying its going to be delivered today when i chose free shipping of 5-10 days. !!! hype

Glad it worked out. They did the same to me and I figured I try UPS after remember all the UPS shipments at work start with 1Z. :D

Tokubetsu

"It was a scene from a nightmare, but I was awake."

Playing this with my headphones are getting to me. I'm starting to feel claustrophobic because of the size of them. Great sound design though. I love the way The Taken sound. Really great L.E. as well.

stupei

Store near me broke the street date and I'm almost finished with the game, but I'm very tempted to sell my copy and go for a LE. The book just looks so good.

How many people have finished the game and actually read through the stuff in the LE? Is it worth it? (I never buy these things, but in this one instance with such an engaging story it feels almost worth it, despite being a little bit insane.)

stupei said:
Store near me broke the street date and I'm almost finished with the game, but I'm very tempted to sell my copy and go for a LE. The book just looks so good.

How many people have finished the game and actually read through the stuff in the LE? Is it worth it? (I never buy these things, but in this one instance with such an engaging story it feels almost worth it, despite being a little bit insane.)

I wish there was pdf of it.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
stupei said:

I think it would be worth it for you since you are liking it so much. That is if you sell the Reg to make up the cost of course.

Top Bottom