• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

SUPREME1

Banned
How much of a gimmick is the whole light as a weapo nthing?

I hadn't seen much about the gameplay other than a video on XboxLive, one of their TIPS vidoes, and it looked like the whole freaking game was based around using a flashlight or random generators and flares to fend off what looked liek zombies.

Is most of the gameplay set in the dark?

derFeef

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is anyone getting the limited edition? I can't decide if the limited edition is worth it or I should just get the game....

It's $20 more or am I miss understanding you?

He said 5€ / 5$ more. So no, it´s 5€ / 5$ more. Definitely worth it.

Mad_Ban

ImperialConquest said:
How much of a gimmick is the whole light as a weapo nthing?

I hadn't seen much about the gameplay other than a video on XboxLive, one of their TIPS vidoes, and it looked like the whole freaking game was based around using a flashlight or random generators and flares to fend off what looked liek zombies.

Is most of the gameplay set in the dark?
Some gameplay takes part in daylight, but those sequences are for expanding on the story as no combat takes place during them.

Combat is sadly based around the light mechanic as you'd expect. I'm a bit sad there isn't more variety to the combat.

derFeef said:
He said 5€ / 5$ more. So no, it´s 5€ / 5$ more. Definitely worth it.

Wait, what are you guys talking about then. It's 60 for the normal edition and 80 for the limited...

Edit: Or is this somewhere other than the US or ? I'm confused.

Peff

Huh, had no idea it was that much more in the US. I still think it's worth it as long as you're interested in the content but I definitely see why some people would have reservations.

liger05

I missed out on the Limited edition. Didnt notice GAME were selling it for the same price. My bro got it and its dope!!!

I finished the game on hard yesterday. I like the game but it got kinda repititive in the end. I hope the make a sequal, I think they have the making of a real good game here.

Peff said:
Huh, had no idea it was that much more in the US. I still think it's worth it as long as you're interested in the content but I definitely see why some people would have reservations.

Ah, that makes sense. I was paranoid I was missing some big deal or something. I wound up just getting the regular since $50+$10gc is too big of a gap compared to $80. It's cool but not $40 difference worth of cool. :/ I wish they offered a gc with limited editions too.

Wizpig

Clay Davis said:
You install the gamerpics & themes from the bonus disc.

And to unlock the avatar item, install the dev commentary and use it in the game once, the item will unlock.

:)
Thanks, but I meant the preorder T-shirt and the preorder theme (different content, in other words), if anyone got a spare code.

Anyway I just finished Chapter 2. (on Normal)

By the way, the vanilla version of the game doesn't make any sense, you get the game and the instruction book; if you "add" 5€ for the CE you get... oh man, don't make me list all the content... 2 dashboard themes, 6-7 gamerpics, an avatar item, the first DLC for the game completely free (will be available July 27, 2010), an actual book, a small OST and a DVD with videos and a "making of" feature you can install and use in the actual game.

65€ for the game, 70€ for the Collector's edition.
5€. :|

Tokubetsu

Wizpig said:
Thanks, but I meant the preorder T-shirt and the preorder theme (different content, in other words), if anyone got a spare code.

Anyway I just finished Chapter 2. (on Normal)

By the way, the vanilla version of the game doesn't make any sense, you get the game and the instruction book; if you "add" 5€ for the CE you get... oh man, don't make me list all the content... 2 dashboard themes, 6-7 gamerpics, an avatar item, the first DLC for the game completely free (will be available July 27, 2010), an actual book, a small OST and a DVD with videos and a "making of" feature you can install and use in the actual game.

65€ for the game, 70€ for the Collector's edition.
5€. :|

Pretty sure you're supposed to get the DLC code with the regular version as well. I did pre-order the CE though. Shipped from Amazon today! Will have ti and RDR tomorrow. You guys have convinced me to start on hard.

soco

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Just preordered from Amazon, let's hope I can actually get release-day delivery!

if they gave you the option for release day shipping, you'll probably get it, but otherwise, not gonna happen.

mine already shipped so i'll have mine tomorrow, barring some natural disaster ;)

Valkyr Junkie said:
If it says "shipping soon" and you chose release-date delivery, then yes.

soco said:
if they gave you the option for release day shipping, you'll probably get it, but otherwise, not gonna happen.

mine already shipped so i'll have mine tomorrow, barring some natural disaster ;)

Huzzah!

Good lord those prequel clips were fantastic. What a great way to lead up to the actual game. Makes me wish whoever made those shorts would make a show in the same vein.

I swear I feel like the only guy that doesn't have this game yet.

^^^ I dont have it either. My LE is on its way as we speak :D. These last few hours are the toughest! I'm finishing up Season 1 of Twin Peaks. Going to have to wait the whole day tomorrow to play it until it gets dark, unless we get some rain.

By the way, Bruce, did you end up turning around on Twin Peaks or was it just not your thing? (I think it was you saying you watched the early ones and couldnt get into it)

BruceLeeRoy said:
Good lord those prequel clips were fantastic. What a great way to lead up to the actual game. Makes me wish whoever made those shorts would make a show in the same vein.

You ain't.

:(

BruceLeeRoy said:

Oh I assure you that many people in a certain country do not, and are impatiently waiting.

I can't help but compare this thread to the RDR thread and how this one is just so much more relaxed and generally positive and isn't bickering about inane graphics shit.

FrankT

ShallNoiseUpon said:
I can't help but compare this thread to the RDR thread and how this one is just so much more relaxed and generally positive and isn't bickering about inane graphics shit.

Yea, well we got that thread out of the way last month heh.

Pooya

I don't understand much Japanese but I think localization is pretty good.
ShallNoiseUpon said:
you're LTTP:lol .

Tokubetsu

watership said:
I'm getting both, but releasing Wake the same week as RDR is just poor timing.

Outside of 2 or so XBL friends, I'm the only one I know getting Alan Wake. I don't think the game was expected to light the world on fire though.

Magnus

ShallNoiseUpon said:

It's entirely because this isn't on the PS3 as well.

None of my friends have even heard of this game. Horrendously poor timing to be coming out against RDR, a new Prince of Persia and Galaxy 2.

Fuck GAF. Between this, FFXIII, RDR, BFBC2, and Dragon Age I am feeling overwhelmed at the moment. Damn my full time job and soon to be summer school. :lol :lol

Cant0na

Banned
ShallNoiseUpon said:

this game isnt on the ps3

JdFoX187

Banned
Man, Gamestop's slow-ass online shipping means I won't get the game until Friday :(

Oh well, this long waiting...what's a few more days.

ghostmind

GameStop called to let me know that my LE would be available tomorrow. I asked if they could make sure I got the Bright Falls pack. Their response... "uhhhh... what's that?". Fucking useless.

GreekWolf

BruceLeeRoy said:
Just be happy you guys weren't here a couple weeks ago man it was brutal.
Brutal is right. I had to bail out for a week to let the usual suspects do their thing. Thankfully, they've migrated over to RDR like a waddling herd of gollums.

Can't believe I'll be playing ALAN freaking WAKE tomorrow... finally!

FrankT

4vk4du.jpg

I'm in baby.

Pride

Not sure this is a spoiler but something cool I found...
During a couple scenes take a close look at the paintings/posters on the walls. What might look like modern art (gray & black with white circles) is actually a barcode you can scan with the mobile software @ microsoft.com/tag.

Found here...

The last one I found was when Alan flashbacked to him and his wife in an apartment, its on the wall in his den you have to scan it before you talk to Alice otherwise the lights go out and you cant scan it. I found one before this but cant remember where.

So I finished the first episode. Some thoughts.

The bad first, there's a lot that's clunky and smooth about controlling the game. Dodging and sprinting should be more intuitive than it is. And going from RDR to this, you can tell which parts are sub-HD, the way that it was described. A lot of the stuff on screen will look great, and then there'll be this weird patch way in the background that doesn't look as good. Certainly not distracting, but noticeable.

Also, spoilers if you don't want to know what happens at the end of each episode
I wish there was something else running over the song at the end besides 'END OF CHAPTER [BLANK]'. I'd even sit through credits.

Now, the good. Overall, in terms of immersion, the graphics are fantastic. The lighting, the mundane details in the textures, it's fantastic. And call me crazy, but overall, the graphics in the daytime were more impressive. They absolutely nailed the vision of this cross between Twin Peaks and the weirdo town from Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs.

And don't fret the cheesy narration. It stands in stark contrast to the actual and legitimately creepy real story. There's one sequence very early on that showcases how engrossing and effective the environment, the story, and the graphics contribute to the sense of unease and creepiness. It's little more than walking from one part of a diner to the back, where it's darker, but holy shit, you feel like that dude from LOST in Mulholland Drive walking behind the fast food joint to the dumpster.

THAT SHIT IS CREEPY, SON.

Structurally, in terms of a discrete episode, the pacing is perfect. It doesn't feel too short, but it doesn't feel overly padded either. As much as the game borrows heavily from its influences, I was surprised at how unpredictable it was. The circumstance is fresh, and quite unsettling.

Both of the games I got have disappointed me just a little bit, but that's the nature of hype. Mostly in their imperfect control schemes. Both promise immersion but don't give you the proper tools to really take you all the way there. I'm guessing, though, that as I progress through the game I'll get used it and it'll stop being as much of a bother.

As far as the LE goes, it's beyond worth it. The book alone, unlike most LE books, looks packed with content, which I won't be touching until I finish the game.

Anyway. I love how the game is structured in episodes so I can play in distinct chunks. Yes, they definitely end in cliffhangers that make you want to play more, but what's the fun of a cliffhanger if you just move to the next one right away?

;D

Beat the first chapter too and I agree. Graphics are awesome yet sometimes really iffy. Controls I thought worked great except I hate how the dodge button is the same as sprint. Really enjoying the narrative so far and can't wait to see where it goes. Combat is better than I was expecting. Love the collectables (radio, tv, manuscripts) except for the coffee cups seem superfluous.

Playing on hard I'm so creeped out that i don't dare going off tracks to find the collectibles.
I even had a nightmare in which I was Al Wake. :lol
Last time such things happened was playing Silent Hill 2. I don't wanna hype it too much. Some guys who haven't played it could be disappointed, because of their huge expectations.
Furthermore everyone has different a "taste" getting scared.
As for me, Remedy is pushing the right buttons to freak the shit out of me.

Hammer24

Banned
As I´m a couple hours deeper into the game, here are some wishes for the devs to implement in the DLC/AW2:
- please make the HUD optional, I want do press a button/stick to make it appear/disappear
- at the end of the episodes, don´t just play the music, but let some credits roll - would even deepen the feeling of getting into an awesome TV show
- make the episodes a bit shorter, by say 20-25%. I haven´t finished an episode on hard under 2h, and would prefer something around 1.5h
- expand on the universe: books, short films whatever, I´ll buy :D

Thats it for now. Rather modest, no? :lol

Top Bottom