• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Prine

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
"It was a scene from a nightmare, but I was awake."

Playing this with my headphones are getting to me. I'm starting to feel claustrophobic because of the size of them. Great sound design though. I love the way The Taken sound. Really great L.E. as well.

When they emerge from the fog howling, it gets me everytime. Very RE4.

Tokubetsu

Prine said:
When they emerge from the fog howling, it gets me everytime. Very RE4.

Stucky's ramblings were great.

Any idea how big the 360 install is? Debating installing this or Red Dead.

Scarecrow

Got through the part shown in the Giant Bomb quicklook. I'm really digging it. I'm hoping there's more awesome micro shows like in that shack. don't like how some of the manuscript pages are only find-able on the hardest setting.

ntb825

Just played the first little chunk.

The voice acting is a little bad, and the lip syncing is terrible. Their lips barely move while talking :lol

Atmosphere is ridiculously awesome, though.

stupei

ntb825 said:
The voice acting is a little bad, and the lip syncing is terrible. Their lips barely move while talking :lol

Agreed on the lip sync, but who are people referring to when they say the voice acting's bad? Not necessarily arguing, I just haven't really had a problem with it so I'm curious.

ntb825

stupei said:
Agreed on the lip sync, but who are people referring to when they say the voice acting's bad? Not necessarily arguing, I just haven't really had a problem with it so I'm curious.
So far I'd say Alan's voice actor is pretty flat.

I'm not very far. This could easily change.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow, I can't believe the HUD doesn't fade out. That's kind of crazy. And the facial animation is a little wacky. Alice looks like her face might rip off at any time from intense smiling stretchage. On the other hand, the fog and foliage looks really great.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so yeah I got my money back.

Refunds
Refund date: May 18, 2010
Refund Amount: $11.00

and Amazon Customer Service guy was very nice too

but why did Amazon lowered the price on the release day anyway ?

Y2Kev said:
Wow, I can't believe the HUD doesn't fade out. That's kind of crazy. And the facial animation is a little wacky. Alice looks like her face might rip off at any time from intense smiling stretchage. On the other hand, the fog and foliage looks really great.

how is the tearing ?

soco

Totobeni said:
so yeah I got my money back.

and Amazon Customer Service guy was very nice too

but why did Amazon lowered the price on the release day anyway ?

it's often because other places have lower prices too, and they're moving to match.

they have a policy to automatically refund you when that happens and i've gotten retroactive discounts numerous times.

If your order enters the shipping process before the release date and the price is lowered on the release date, we will automatically refund your credit card for the difference between the price you were charged and the release-date price. If you didn't use a credit card to pay for your order, please contact customer service through the Contact Us button on the right side of any Help page.

Hawk269

This is not a spoiler at all, but I love all the little things in the game. Like when you first go to the lake house at the beginning of the game, conventional wisdom would tell you to go straight ahead an go the the lake house, but I decided to turn around and go up the mountain to where the car is parked. At this point I got a in-game cinimatic about how the lake house looks from above.

It is little things like that, that I enjoy in games like these. Most players and a few friends just walked straight ahead and when I told them about the short cinematic they were all saying WTF? There is alot to this game if you wander off the beaten path and it is where you will find these little things that add to the story eathier in voice or with a small scene.

Loving the game!

derFeef

Hawk269 said:
This is not a spoiler at all, but I love all the little things in the game. Like when you first go to the lake house at the beginning of the game, conventional wisdom would tell you to go straight ahead an go the the lake house, but I decided to turn around and go up the mountain to where the car is parked. At this point I got a in-game cinimatic about how the lake house looks from above.

It is little things like that, that I enjoy in games like these. Most players and a few friends just walked straight ahead and when I told them about the short cinematic they were all saying WTF? There is alot to this game if you wander off the beaten path and it is where you will find these little things that add to the story eathier in voice or with a small scene.

Loving the game!
I did the same! And hey, there was another surprise too ;) I would also suggest everyone to listen to all the conversations. Do not rush it, you miss out a lot of things.

On the voice acting - wow I am a bit speechless many seem to hate it. I found it pretty top notch to be honest. And Alan´s narrating is flat because it should be flat.

Y2Kev

Totobeni said:
how is the tearing ?
At night it is very well hidden. Not detectable or really bothersome at all. The day is less impressive.

I really like the episodic structure of the game, and the night sections really work well. The only real complaint I have with the gameplay to cutscene transition is that the cutscenes do look quite a bit different than the game and it is sort of noticeable. The lighting changes quite a bit. It reminsd me of the various art styles used for the FF7 cinemas. Obviously it's not jarring to that degree.

Pooya

ACE 1991 said:
Is this sarcasm?
No, it tears really bad.
use a flare or flare gun and you can see it very clearly.
in a busy section of Episode 4 tearing was just unbearable ad it was distracting IMO.
I think it's really bad, even if you rotate the camera fast you can see it.

Y2Kev

miladesn said:
No, it's tears really bad.
use a flare or flare gun and you can see it very clearly.
in a busy section of Episode 4 tearing was just unbearable ad it was distracting IMO.
I think it's really bad, even if you rotate the camera fast you can see it.
You can definitely make it tear very easily, and you can do so pretty much on command if you want. But I don't think it's actually unbearable...yet. But I'm only done with episode 2.

But it's not as bad as saints row 1 pre-patch :D

stupei

ntb825 said:
So far I'd say Alan's voice actor is pretty flat.

I'm not very far. This could easily change.

I can understand not liking it, but I think it's definitely a deliberate choice to create the vibe somewhat along the lines of an audio book or other book reading. Not bad acting exactly, though I can see why someone might not enjoy the choice. Love it, though, personally. Feels so right.

Totobeni said:
how is the tearing ?

Seems worse during daytime pieces. Really bad in parts of Episode 4 in particular. But almost hidden at night, as someone said.

derFeef

I am too scared to wander off, espacially on nightmare. But I need those pages! :lol
If everything is calm and then you decide to explore a bit - suddenly the forest starts to rage and 4 taken are coming out of the bushes. "Oh god"

stupei

derFeef said:
I am too scared to wander off, espacially on nightmare. But I need those pages! :lol
If everything is calm and then you decide to explore a bit - suddenly the forest starts to rage and 4 taken are coming out of the bushes. "Oh god"

When I'm running low on ammo and the fog is starting to swirl around me, it's just so hard to go anywhere other than right toward the light.

edit: Also, thanks for the suggestion, Metalic Sand. Think I'm going to go ahead and get it.

Gowans

It's one of those games that really grabs you. I want to get right back and start ep 3 now.

Playing in my dark gaming room with headphones really gets my heart pounding like no game ever does.

That dark, windy forest really gets me, especially when I see shadows in the bushes, or infact any shadows at all.

Just got my LCE copy and my god, I just can't process the fact that I'm holding one of my most anticipated games of all time, and five years in the making. Its crazy to think that about a year after working at my current job, this game was announced and here I am still at the same job 6 years later and Alan Wake finally here. :D :D :D

Now just gotta wait till the sun goes down, the gf comes over, the lights go out, the drinks start flowing, and Alan Wake finally fucking begins!!!!!!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Costanza said:
I really hope I don't miss any of the hidden TVs. That Twilight Zone spoof with "Quantum Suicide" was amazing.

yea i only saw one and was blown away at the production values of small hidden things

so much love put into this game

derFeef

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Just got my LCE copy and my god, I just can't process the fact that I'm holding one of my most anticipated games of all time, and five years in the making. Its crazy to think that about a year after working at my current job, this game was announced and here I am still at the same job 6 years later and Alan Wake finally here. :D :D :D

Now just gotta wait till the sun goes down, the gf comes over, the lights go out, the drinks start flowing, and Alan Wake finally fucking begins!!!!!!
Awesome man, we are almost the same (regarding job and waiting) :) Hope you enjoy. No, you WILL enjoy. :D

derFeef said:
Awesome man, we are almost the same (regarding job and waiting) :) Hope you enjoy. No, you WILL enjoy. :D

Yeah I have been keeping up with your posts and impressions because you seem to have similar tastes from what I gather in ways. So knowing you loved it, here is to me hopefully freaking loving it. And again thanks for the avatars! Love them! :D

Cant0na

Banned
oh my, this game just ooozes style

5 hours in just finished chapter 3, i was gonna play some Red dead in between........fuck that. im going back in on nightmare after im done with this playthrough

"wake up alan"....no bitch, i wanna stay here, its awesome :D

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Caved in and purchased it in the end, installing now, looking forward to cranking this up in 5.1 in the dark.

/blogpost

derFeef

I just found an easteregg. But not a funny one, a really scary one.
EP 3 somewhere behind the farm, there were skeletons coming out of the ground. It was pretty frightening!

razorman

Ok, maybe it was just me but the
battle during the rock concert with the music playing and the relentless onslaught of taken
in episode 4 was possibly the most awesome gaming setpiece this generation. I loved it!

Cant0na

Banned
that part with whats his name in chapter 2 makes me think co-op levels would be pretty fun in this

a dlc level where players have to juggle roles of light and shooting would be pretty sweet. you would need really good communication so it wouldnt work with strangers

Just finished Episode 1. So far so good. Definitely a mind fuck. Honestly my favorite part so far is the narration. Alan narrating as he goes is pretty cool.

binary

Does Amazon email you a code for the pre-order bonus items? I got the regular version and I need that beautiful day time theme that the pre-order was supposed to come with.

Technosteve said:
the aliasing is killing me =( maybe i should play this on a big tv but on my lcd monitor all i can see are jaggies =(

Aliasing should be a very minor issue.

You're probably too close to the monitor and/or having scaling issues.

There's definitely some aliasing, though.

Top Bottom