• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
just went to extras -> soundtracks and listened to everything. so up my alley.

really wish i bought the CE. if anyone buys it and decides they want to sell me all their goodies, i'll buy it at a high price.

Prine said:
Yeah, before the rest of world gets it, do yourself a favour and play on hard. Will keep you on your toes.

it's the only way it feels "tense"

duk

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Hey guys, not sure some of you remember but in the pre-release Alan Wake thread I said I was getting a costume together and doing a short film inspired and playing off of Alan Wake. Figured I'd brave GAF and show some pictures we took up there this weekend during the shooting.

AWupthestairs.jpg

AWforestview.jpg

AWcabin.jpg

AWbalcony.jpg

bullshots looks like 2160p with 24x AA

Tokubetsu

How hard is hard exactly? I panic a lot so if it's more reliant on being creative in hostile situations I might be dying...a lot.

K' Dash

Tokubetsu said:
How hard is hard exactly? I panic a lot so if it's more reliant on being creative in hostile situations I might be dying...a lot.

Hard is normal, if youre experienced, and by experienced I mean if have touched a controller ever to play a game.

Pooya

I finished Episode 4 and 5. no spoilers!
some technical stuff!
well, Alan Wake has the best helicopter rotor sound effect of all time, it's crazy:lol .
and now I'm convinced that it has the best flash light effect of all time also, damn it looks real.
In an specific location in Episode 4, number of light sources can go crazy high! I can't believe what I saw:lol

gameplay stuff!
-I don't like where the story is going...
-Birds are annoying! it's not fun.
-There is no enemy variety to be honest, they are pretty much the same.
-Barry and the Eye of M.. :lol :lol :lol

And the beginning of Episode 6 is ... :lol :lol.
overall great game but I don't think I replay it anytime soon.

RiptideX

I finished it tonight as well,

I wont give anything away but its been a long time since I loved a survival horror (if you want to call Alan Wake a SH game) but I loved this game from start to finish.

The episodic tv-show-esque way it was delivered was awesome.

The constant heavy rain-ish narration made the game and the tension palpable and really put you more into the game as things went along and tried to figure out the puzzle along with the character Alan.

Great game except for some small issues and some real hardcore hand holding. I hope they made a sequel if they have not planned one already.

Its been a while since I sat down and played a game so hardcore over a 2 day span that way.

Loved it and will probably play again on nightmare :) I recommend it to anybody who loves Silent Hill etc.

adelante

Prine said:
And I dont understand the woods complaints, they are so varied, you find hidden wrecks, caverns, nature trails and so on to explore. And they are so beautiful to walk through.
Ditto...and neither do I of the daytime graphics. The bits with you on the ferry has some of the most natural-looking lighting in any game, absolute LOVE the film-like mood and contrast. Other graphical effects I like include detailed reflections on the lake (seaplane landing on the lake was a beautiful sight), metal chain on the boat physically reacting when you push against it, detailed texture of the seabed, etc

Not so hot on the shadows though, as they get noticeably lower in resolution if they're not within 10 feet of you. There's also this weird shadow effect throughout the game that surrounds your character and other objects; it gets more prominent if you or other objects are close to a wall, thus looking like they're casting soft shadows against it... so I just shrugged it off as Remedy's own implementation of ambient occlusion. Still, it's a little strange to see this shadow effect detaching itself from your character/objects if you move the camera quickly.

But the REAL shadows, on the other hand....OH MY GAWD...I think a huge chunk of the game's immersion comes from the torchlight's ability to cast dynamic shadows from almost every object available. Save for some grass and low shrubs, but bigger ones do and the shadow effect looks awesome when things get intense and the all the leaves you're shining your torch at are rustling.

It's nice to see another company other than 4A Games pushing the 360 this hard with all the post-processing effects and lighting. :D

Cant0na

Banned
replaying Max Payne 2 right now getting ready for this tuesday

the game still holds up and you can see so many things the games have in common. remedy games have a certain style about them

stupei

Prine said:
Yeah, before the rest of world gets it, do yourself a favour and play on hard. Will keep you on your toes.

Yeah, definitely the only way to play it. I feel like I'm going through my ammo super fast whenever one of the bigger guys shows up. It's absolutely terrifying when you reach a supply point with a lot of flares or flash bangs, because then you just know some serious shit is coming up soon. At one point in Episode 3 I was actually running naked with only my flash light and absolutely zero ammo.

Prine said:
And I dont understand the woods complaints, they are so varied, you find hidden wrecks, caverns, nature trails and so on to explore. And they are so beautiful to walk through.

For me it's just that I wish the pacing were a little more consistent. In many ways it felt like Episodes 1 & 2 got it perfect, mixing up the woods with other environments. I'm hoping the rest of it's more like that and Episode 3 is the anomaly. I agree with whoever (possibly many people) said it's way too long, but the real issue is that
whenever you think you have reached a goal or made progress, you somehow end up back in the woods again. It makes it feel very repetitive. I mean, you finally make it to the radio station only to end up immediately back out in the woods doing basically the same thing you just finished doing. Episode 3 is so uneven I really feel like some of its great environment choices -- the mine and that creepy gothic house with the disturbing cellar -- are wasted, because by that point you're just eager to get to the next mark on the storyline.

So I'm considering getting this, but I have one question. It seems more like a third-person shooter than a survival horror style game (if that makes sense?). Would this assumption be correct? :\

stupei

Stabby McSter said:
So I'm considering getting this, but I have one question. It seems more like a third-person shooter than a survival horror style game (if that makes sense?). Would this assumption be correct? :\

Very similar to Dead Space. Moody environments, resource management, and legit shooter controls. The resource management is dumbed down a bit, though. You don't get a lot of choice in your weapons; it's more about making use of your environments when you can and conserving ammo.

derFeef

Very awesome slasher, looking forward to the short. :D

edit: Can´t get this game out of my head, incredible. Just popped in the soundtrack - goosebumps and memorys.

sumo390

Alright, so for those of you that already have the Limited Edition of the game, would you say it is worth it? I'm severely tempted to buy it.

Cant0na

Banned
sumo390 said:
Alright, so for those of you that already have the Limited Edition of the game, would you say it is worth it? I'm severely tempted to buy it.

get it if you can still find it

new ip LE's are pretty rare

Peff

sumo390 said:

It's THE best CE to date this gen at least, IMO. You get the awesome soundtrack (it's not the whole thing but it's way more than the usual sampler and with some of the licensed songs), a bonus dvd with a good chunk of content (enables commentary from the developers, has every trailer and promo pic, all of the cutscenes with storyboards, making of videos, avatar stuff and themes...) and a book that gives some more details about the plot, Bright Falls and Alan Wake's books. Not to mention the awesome book-shaped case. Definitely worth it considering it's usually the same price or just 5$/€ more.

Cuisino

Neo Member
loving the game!

i'm looking for some barry wheeler quotes, especially the one's during chapter no. 5...can't find anything useful through google. you know, the night springs stuff etc...
funny stuff :)

any help? thx!!

Dries

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Yeah the elbow pads just didn't happen lol. This is in Flagstaff Arizona.

LOL good one Ditka.

Lol, always thought you were finnish of swedish for some reason. Flagstaff eh? Pretty cool (I was born in Phoenix, but live in the Netherlands now). Post the short film when it's done!

derFeef

.nimrod said:
You should always keep in mind that a lot of people in europe (including myself) import their games from the UK due to the awesome euro-pound conversion rate, that's why their sales numbers are often pretty high
That would translate to every game then, not just Alan Wake, no?

Prine said:
Fantastic! Well done Remedy!
Yeah, but, now I am confused:

Alan Wake’s the big new entry in this week’s UK charts, but World Cup 2010: South Africa managed to hold on to the number one spot.
http://www.vg247.com/2010/05/17/uk-charts-alan-wake-fails-to-overthrow-from-number-one/

edit: dumb me I confuzzled multiplat and 360 only.

Mad_Ban

The lipsync animator for this game really needs a beating. Sometimes the animation was so off it dragged me out of the experience. It was honestly like a badly dubbed Japanese TV show, during some of the cutscenes.

adelante

Mad_Ban said:
The lipsync animator for this game really needs a beating. Sometimes the animation was so off it dragged me out of the experience. It was honestly like a badly dubbed Japanese TV show, during some of the cutscenes.
Heh i just kept telling myself I'm playing dubbed foreign game and it helped immerse me into the game a bit

derFeef

adelante said:
Heh i just kept telling myself I'm playing dubbed foreign game and it helped immerse me into the game a bit
Finnish is a werid language, they just need to move the lower jaw to speak ;)

Prine

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
Got my LCE today! If you can get one, you should definitely buy one!
I hope i'll enjoy it.

Make sure you play on hard. Its not cheap so dont worry if you think you'll get screwed.

witness

Whooo GameFly just shipped mine, it'll be here wednesday. Really freakin excited. Chose this first before Red Dead because its a much shorter experience.

jagowar

Got in on the walmart deal (was hoping somebody was going to come through with a deal) so I could get that new game code for episode 1 dlc.

Prine

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Seems like hard is the place to start from what I keep reading. Tonight is the night.

It seriously is, im on the edge of my seat as the enemy could end my story if i don't use my torch effectively. By that i mean maybe i cant kill them, but i can slow them down.

Make sure you play with the lights out and sound up.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
already bought the game but bought a CE off amazon.com anyway :lol

i'll be happy to trade my second sealed copy inside for another 360 game if anyone wants?

anyway the right way to play:

-high
-alone
-headphones/surround sound
-at night
-on hard

Bestbuy.com says I can pickup my CE preorder, but I know the street date is tomorrow. Do I take a shot and go down there?

Edit: I'd call but the dadgum number just rings and rings.

soco

i was hoping to finish Deadly Premonition before this came out, but that's obviously not going to happen :( (i'm surprised at how good that game is)

cannot wait for tomorrow.

nico

Banned
i 'm just now watching bright falls in anticipation for this. been waiting 5 years for this remedy. do not dissapoint.

soco

Imperial Hot said:
Has anyone's Amazon order shipped? I have release date shipping but mine hasn't shipped....

mine is in the process of being shipped and can't be changed. every time i've ever had release day shipping, they ship the day before and it arrives on time.

Doodis

Has there been any word on whether or not the soundtrack will be available for purchase outside of the CE? I can't really afford the CE right now, and I'm getting the game from Gamefly, but I'd really love to purchase the soundtrack.

Is anyone getting the limited edition? I can't decide if the limited edition is worth it or I should just get the game....

Peff said:
It's THE best CE to date this gen at least, IMO. You get the awesome soundtrack (it's not the whole thing but it's way more than the usual sampler and with some of the licensed songs), a bonus dvd with a good chunk of content (enables commentary from the developers, has every trailer and promo pic, all of the cutscenes with storyboards, making of videos, avatar stuff and themes...) and a book that gives some more details about the plot, Bright Falls and Alan Wake's books. Not to mention the awesome book-shaped case. Definitely worth it considering it's usually the same price or just 5$/€ more.

It's $20 more or am I miss understanding you?

Top Bottom