• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've been having a blast playing this on Nightmare, it feels just right. The combat definitely holds up, it's still a lot of fun.
The new manuscripts are cool, too. I'm finally starting to understand the plot.
<3 this game, I did not expect it to be this awesome. I just wish the new episode wasn't almost two gotdamn months away.

FrankT

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I asked the community manager on the official forums and he basically confirmed it means that something either Remedy or Alan Wake related will be mentioned.

Teaser of the first DLC perhaps? I suppose they are referring to the show tonight that I was totally not staying up for? Err.

jonnybryce said:
So in hindsight is this game worth $50 (or $60, if you paid that) or is it a rental?

Honestly if you look on the forums, its a mixed back. Some of us love the game to peices and think its definetly worth the price of admission, others are sorta inbetween, and a few just didn't really enjoy it at all.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Honestly if you look on the forums, its a mixed back. Some of us love the game to peices and think its definetly worth the price of admission, others are sorta inbetween, and a few just didn't really enjoy it at all.

Yeah, I've been reading here and a few others. I guess I'll never know unless I jump in. I have a gift card, and if I find it used I could even return it, so I'm in.

I have no problem admitting I'm a total bitch, though. I hope I don't find this too scary. The reviews I watched weren't bad.

jonnybryce said:
Yeah, I've been reading here and a few others. I guess I'll never know unless I jump in. I have a gift card, and if I find it used I could even return it, so I'm in.

I have no problem admitting I'm a total bitch, though. I hope I don't find this too scary. The reviews I watched weren't bad.

Well depends. Personally the tension of the fights, combined with the dodging and sometimes feeling overwhelmed really got to me and other stuff too I won't spoil. Others didn't find it scary at all. Make sure you come back and post your thoughts though! :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It has a few scary moments, but overall it's mostly just creepy and intense.
It's more about the dark, ominous atmosphere along with some creepy music and subtle effects then "OH SHIT" jump out of your seat moments.
It hit the right spot for me, I definitely appreciate that it doesn't rely on extreme gore and dismemberment for suspense.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Playing this for the first time and good lord Barry is annoying. I think he's far worse than Zeke in InFamous.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
El_TigroX said:
Playing this for the first time and good lord Barry is annoying. I think he's far worse than Zeke in InFamous.
nah, Barry actually has some redeeming qualities, Zeke is just a blackhole of creative bankruptcy and bad writing.

Qaz Kwaz

Banned
brandonh83 said:
I'm just looking around in the living room and without warning one of the dark presences walks by the window all nonchalantly. Really creeped me out bad and made me not want to leave the cabin.

I thought I was imagining this! It really freaked the shit out of me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
El_TigroX said:

dealwithit12.gif

Someone posted that earlier in the thread, but it deserves another post.

derFeef

Did I miss something, where was the announcement? Ah well, Geoff wore an Alan Wake jacket...

AH okay, from the official forums:

Hmm not too sure what happened to be honest, we were told that they would be a mention on the show tonight.

Anyway Gametrailers are hosting a live pre-Microsoft keynote online show this Monday morning and you can catch Remedy's Oskari Häkkinen's segment at 10 am pacific / 1 pm eastern on there for exclusive information on the upcoming DLC for Alan Wake, "The Signal".

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well depends. Personally the tension of the fights, combined with the dodging and sometimes feeling overwhelmed really got to me and other stuff too I won't spoil. Others didn't find it scary at all. Make sure you come back and post your thoughts though! :D

I just finished episode one. Holy shit this game is grabs you and doesn't let go.

The graphics are phenomenal, especially the textures and of course the lighting. It's one of, if not the, best looking console games I've ever played or seen. The forest is so haunting. It's seriously eerie - I feel freaked out running around. I really love how the game mixes narrative with gameplay from triggered "scripted" events to the manuscript pages. The voice acting is a mixed bag, and while the story isn't anything amazingly original - yet atleast - it's solid, it's intriguing and I'm really impressed.

I feel a little silly praising this game so much when so many don't like it, especially having only completed episode one...but it feels so fresh. The overall feel of the game, the shooting mechanic, having to explore in the dark and not knowing where you need to go or where a cliff ends but knowing that you need to use those bullets wisely and make it to the gas station...hats off to the developers.

The little twist ending at the end of episode one was nice if not a bit corny/expected. I love the way the Alan Wake title page splashes and a song plays. I know I'll piss some people off but I feel like this game really succeeds so far, more than Heavy Rain, in creating a cinematic fusion of gameplay and story.

Like I said, I'm the first to admit I'm a bitch when it comes to scary games, but this isn't trying to shock you or have cheap scares every other minute, it's not relying on excessive gore to freak you out, its just a tension created by the enemies, story, environments and overall atmosphere. Bottom line is its freaky and eerie. And I like that.

I'm really happy I gave this game a shot. I'm really loving it so far. It's not perfect (story could be a bit more original and voice acting could be improved for starters) but there's so much more great than bad here. On to Episode 2.

I finally have time to play this now. The first 15 mins has been freaking awesome so far. :D Considering playing only at night but I'll probably never finish it at that rate. :/

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Up to episode 5 on Nightmare, not too bad so far. I've missed the manuscript pages the last two episodes though. =(

Just to make sure but, manuscript pages don't appear in order right? I got the first two or three and then it jumped to like the 8th one. I hardly walked anywhere so I doubt I could have missed that many...

Just finished Episode 5 last night. I'm only playing in the evenings when it is dark out and on 1 harder level than normal. I think I figured out a major piece of the plot myself but will wait until the end of the game to verify it.

Warm Machine said:
Just finished Episode 5 last night. I'm only playing in the evenings when it is dark out and on 1 harder level than normal. I think I figured out a major piece of the plot myself but will wait until the end of the game to verify it.

I'm tempted to do that like I did with silent hill... Maybe I'll wait until I unlike nightmare. That's the only thing I dislike about this game, you have to unlock the difficulty you're supposed to play on.

Snuggler said:
It has a few scary moments, but overall it's mostly just creepy and intense.
It's more about the dark, ominous atmosphere along with some creepy music and subtle effects then "OH SHIT" jump out of your seat moments.
It hit the right spot for me, I definitely appreciate that it doesn't rely on extreme gore and dismemberment for suspense.
Yeah it's definitely all about the suspense. I wish on nightmare they would take out the slow motion camera pull back effect they utilize to show you where the enemies are coming from. It takes away the uncertainty the environment does such a good job of creating. Those couple times when you open up one of the weapon cache boxes and you turn around and with no warning 4 to 5 guys are swarming you...good lord I almost had a heart attack

Sanic

I'm roughly halfway through, and i'm not sure if i'll be able to finish it, at least not without taking a break first. Tromp through a linear forest for an hour while engaging in mostly repetitive combat, then talk to some people in the daylight for ten minutes. Rinse+Repeat. I was assuming things would be changed up with puzzles, something but no, at least not yet.

eshwaaz

RedRedSuit said:
Interactions with Barry comprise one of the few bright spots about this game, IMO.
My problem with him is not his role as a character, but his effectiveness in that role. He's supposed to be funny and endearing, but he never clicked with me in that way. Not Zeke levels of grating, just but still annoying enough that I'd cringe a bit whenever he showed up.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So this is a little off topic, but have any of you guys tried playing the Max Payne games through the 360's backwards compatibility?
I know that they work with it and everything, but the only game I've tried so far has been KOTOR and it ran like shit. I'm hoping that they'll run well.
Alan Wake inspired me to buy them again for a replay <3 Remedy.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Rez said:
Chapter 4 was great. Probably the best yet. I loved the stage scene.

I wonder if this is one of the most polarizing sections of the game. I felt it was out of place, too campy, and didn't fit with the tone of the game, which is that it's trying to be "serious". It felt like something that should've belonged in Dead Rising or something. I dunno, maybe it didn't fit the tone that I wanted the game to have or something. But I didn't like it, too silly.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I thought it was a good palette cleanser. Everything before it had been a super-serious bottle-neck of intense fighting and cer-azy plot points, which meant it worked as a nice way of letting off some steam.

It's not like the whole game suddenly took a train to campville, but at the same time, it was nice to know that Remedy were willing to laugh at themselves a bit. I don't know, that one scene just made everything before and then after it seem more memorable to me.

derFeef

Adam Prime said:
I wonder if this is one of the most polarizing sections of the game. I felt it was out of place, too campy, and didn't fit with the tone of the game, which is that it's trying to be "serious". It felt like something that should've belonged in Dead Rising or something. I dunno, maybe it didn't fit the tone that I wanted the game to have or something. But I didn't like it, too silly.
I think it was a nice change of pace and I can understand why people love it. To me it felt a bit setup as it made no sense why this is happening. I still liked it, but Episode 5 topped all of this.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 4 and 5 kind of blend together in my head, but the game had well and truly hit its stride during that time. The closer you are in the game to Chapter 4 or 5, the better it gets.

Peff

Episode 5 is my favorite too. There's a good amount of variety, great backgrounds, you can get to experience all of the weapons... I hope the DLC expands upon that base.

Pandoracell said:
I'm roughly halfway through, and i'm not sure if i'll be able to finish it, at least not without taking a break first. Tromp through a linear forest for an hour while engaging in mostly repetitive combat, then talk to some people in the daylight for ten minutes. Rinse+Repeat. I was assuming things would be changed up with puzzles, something but no, at least not yet.

Sell the game on ebay as long as you still get something for it. It does not exactly get better.

Qaz Kwaz

Banned
Just beat episode 3, and I am loving it. This game has atmosphere like I haven't seen in a long, long time. It's really fucking spooky, and the lighting is AMAZING. If you appreciate games like Silent Hill or MGS4, check this out. The story is really intriguing, too.

What a game!

Booser

Finished it last night. Great experience. One of those games I feel Im gonna want to play again just to explore every nook and cranny, the game world is just so well realised and atmospheric.

Still havent a clue what exactly is happening in that ending though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Beat it on Nightmare. :D

Still missing one normal Manuscript page and 3 Nightmare only ones though! Wasn't too bad aside from
the bridge full of possessed objects
in Episode 6.

jonnybryce said:
I'm really happy I gave this game a shot. I'm really loving it so far. It's not perfect (story could be a bit more original and voice acting could be improved for starters) but there's so much more great than bad here. On to Episode 2.

Glad to see you post your impressions. Looks like your enjoying it highly! :D As for me guys, I just got about halfway through episode 5 this weekend. Game is coming to a close and wow is the action just getting intense. Sooooooo many taken at times. Loving it! Should be able to wrap this bad boy up by the weekend.

As for the
stage battle
, it was fun. I don't see why everyone went completely ape shit over it saying episode 4 was just awesome because of it. I felt the episode as a whole was damn good though. Lots of stuff going on! Episode 5 is ever crazier imo and hoping this pace continues till the end.

Well - I caved. Bought the LE even though I've already bought and paid for a normal copy of the game. And have already played through AW once. (But I'm totally planning on going through Nightmare/100% run since I just finished RDR last night.)

And yet - TOTALLY worth. Very sweet packaging and the bonuses really do fit well with the atmosphere/mood/setting of the game. Havn't really gotten a chance to crack open the 'Alan Wake Files' book - but very interested in getting the chance to do so soon.

Also - that trailer for the Signal looks shit hot man. Extremely interested to see where they go with setting the environments more based around the
Bottom of the Lake
location as it could provide a *ton* of neat moments, and it wasn't a location we really got to do much in save from walk from Point A to Point B. Should be outstanding...

Although for the life of me I can't imagine why they pushed out the DLC release so far from the games release. It's not a terribly long game - and could use the extra bump in presence after coming out on the same day as RDR. Perhaps they needed time to actually get it done... At any rate I hope the DLC provides another round of news stories and hopefully encourages more people to check out this gem.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Red Mercury said:
Although for the life of me I can't imagine why they pushed out the DLC release so far from the games release. It's not a terribly long game - and could use the extra bump in presence after coming out on the same day as RDR. Perhaps they needed time to actually get it done... At any rate I hope the DLC provides another round of news stories and hopefully encourages more people to check out this gem.

Yeah, for sure.
I'm almost done with my Nightmare run and I want more, 2 months is way too long to wait for a relatively short game like AW. It could be technical issues but I think it also might be a technique to try and prevent people from selling or trading in the game. I hope the subsequent DLC 'sodes don't take as long.

I wish I had bought the LE, I saw it in the display case next to the reg copies and I almost went for it but I thought I wouldn't need any of that stuff. Turns out it's like my favorite game of the year and I would have definitely liked having all the cool extra stuff like the OST.

Top Bottom