• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Pandoracell said:
I think I should have picked hard instead or normal, this has been incredibly easy so far.

I too found it very easy on Normal. However, the few times that I did die were surprisingly frustrating.

Snuggler said:
I've started my nightmare/1000g run and I'm enjoying the game even more the 2nd time around. I want to collect everything for full achievements but I'm sure that I've missed at least a couple thermoses, it's gonna be a bitch trying to track down all the ones I miss. Also, I forgot about those stupidass can pyramids. This is gonna take awhile but I really wanna get my first 1000g.

The new manuscripts are really cool, though, I like how they made the best ones nightmare only.
you don't have to shoot down all can pyramids, 5 of them is enough for the achievement.

taoofjord

Grrr... I just can't finish this game. This has got to be one of the biggest disappointments in my 20+ years of gaming.

The writing is just terrible and i can't for the life of me figure out how people can actually stomach it... let alone call it good. It often feels like the dialogue was lifted out of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. Where as the campy writing worked great for Max Payne it doesnt work for a game that takes itself so seriously.

And then the game feels like a wasted opportunity, with almost no adventuring segments and a 100% controlled, scripted world. Not to mention that the pacing is really funky. The action is fun but quickly became tedious for me.

There are some great things here but none of it came together and it leaves me incredibly frustrated. Oh Remedy, you've broken my heart...

Sanic

taoofjord said:
The writing is just terrible and i can't for the life of me figure out how people can actually stomach it... let alone call it good. It often feels like the dialogue was lifted out of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. Where as the campy writing worked great for Max Payne it doesnt work for a game that takes itself so seriously.

I'm finding the dialog to be just serviceable, but the manuscript is horribly written.

kamspy

Just finished. Last level is such a cluster fuck. Felt like work completing it.

Game is the very definition of "unpolished gem" or, "gem that was shat on by publisher".

kamspy said:
Just finished. Last level is such a cluster fuck. Felt like work completing it.

Game is the very definition of "unpolished gem" or, "gem that was shat on by publisher".

I don't know about unpolished. It feels like this game was much more ambitious, and they just had to cut a bunch of stuff out of it (for whatever reason). It feels quite polished to me, just overly simplistic and repetitive.

Sanic

In a way, AW kinda feels like a streamlined version of Deadly Premonition that lacks an open world and was made by a AAA developer.

I don't know about unpolished. It feels like this game was much more ambitious, and they just had to cut a bunch of stuff out of it (for whatever reason). It feels quite polished to me, just overly simplistic and repetitive.

I kinda see where he's coming from with regard to polish. It does feel like the game was more ambitious, but that they cut all of that stuff out at the last second. It feels very...poorly put together, if that makes sense. It's like they had this giant openworld game, cut out 75% of it from all different points in the game, and slapped what remained together with a cheap glue.

I wouldn't say it's altogether unpolished, but I think it needed more time in the oven.

taoofjord said:
Grrr... I just can't finish this game. This has got to be one of the biggest disappointments in my 20+ years of gaming.

And then the game feels like a wasted opportunity, with almost no adventuring segments and a 100% controlled, scripted world. Not to mention that the pacing is really funky. The action is fun but quickly became tedious for me.

There are some great things here but none of it came together and it leaves me incredibly frustrated. Oh Remedy, you've broken my heart...

You're weird.

schennmu said:
AW has one of the best LEs I've seen in years. It's a shame that the game does not hold up.
You are, too. Which is a shame since you were so spot-on with Nier.

I really don't understand people not liking this game. I can't comprehend. My head hurts. Need...to go...lay down.

Pandoracell said:
I kinda see where he's coming from with regard to polish. It does feel like the game was more ambitious, but that they cut all of that stuff out at the last second. It feels very...poorly put together, if that makes sense. It's like they had this giant openworld game, cut out 75% of it from all different points in the game, and slapped what remained together with a cheap glue.

I wouldn't say it's altogether unpolished, but I think it needed more time in the oven.

I think we're on the same page. When I read "unpolished," I think glitches, bugs, etc., which this game doesn't really have. Semantics aside, though, I agree.

Dries

FateBreaker said:
I really don't understand people not liking this game. I can't comprehend. My head hurts. Need...to go...lay down.

Nah.. not so weird. It's just not a game for everyone. That's all.

Pandoracell said:
I'm finding the dialog to be just serviceable, but the manuscript is horribly written.

I completely agree. Honestly, it just seems like a really bad attempt at Stephen King. I wouldn't call it amateur at all, but for me it just sounds so laced with simile/metaphor to the point of absurdity.

I like a lot of what the game does, don't get me wrong. I just can't get past the heavy combat to enjoy it fully.

derFeef

schennmu said:
You don't need to be overly hyped to not like this game.
Well, we for sure know you do not really like this game ;)
I was pretty much hyped to heaven, and still enjoyed the hell out of this game two times in a row. Will do a third runthrough for sure before the DLC hits.

Pandoracell said:
Then Mr. Lake did his job very well. It is supposed to be that way.

VALIS

taoofjord said:

Is that a Red Dead avatar? I'm curious what you think about its writing. Talk about abysmal dialogue. I can't compare it to Wake since I haven't started AW yet, but the dialogue in RDR has made me shut that game off multiple times it's so hideous.

kamspy

RedRedSuit said:

It was almost too polished in some regards. It's like they polished the gameplay so much that it stripped away anything other than shooting, flashing and jumping.

I think this game was at one time much more. Some of the reviews I read after beating it almost infer that they wish the earlier, open world-ish game was still there. I never got to play the early builds, but it sounds like an experience I'd like more.

I'll run down what I liked and didn't like.

-The setting was pretty fresh, aside from recycled enemies from RE4, I didn't even have a problem spending most of my time in the same forest. Just plain unique stuff all around. I love the world Remedy created. The atmosphere was great --->

-they completely borked the atmosphere by telegraphing EVERY fight, thereby eliminating some of the cheap scares almost all the tension. I'd pay for a patch that removed this. Better yet, I want one for free because as it is, this breaks the game for me.

-The graphics look like they're great, but the 360 just isn't up to the task. It was noticeably low res, and I usually don't notice most of the scaled console games. This one was obviously not 720p. Aliasing was horrible and the screen tearing in some locations was down right always there. Oddly, in other areas the vsync appeared completely enabled (these are rare). I don't know how to put it - the graphics were great but the image was just incredibly unstable. I played on a 32" XBR6, 24" Samsung syncmaster and 60" 6th gen kuro. The game is better on plasma since it's a little more forgiving on aliasing and tearing (somehow). Usually I like console games on the LCDs. This one was nearly the only one I preferred on the Pio.

- enemies from RE4 and telegraphed fights. it bears repeating. enemies from RE4 and telegraphed fights. it bears repeating. enemies from RE4 and telegraphed fights. it bears repeating.

- I don't mind the narrow scope of the game compared to what they were once doing, but I felt like too many of the fights just served as filler. A game like Alan Wake shouldn't be a progression of kill zones. I want to believe that the publisher pushed for a more traditional TPS aspect to the game.

I know I came off hard on the game, so just fill 40 pages of blank space with praise about everything in the game aside from these issues. I might as well add that I'd love to see a PC port. :|

derFeef said:
Well, we for sure know you do not really like this game ;)
I was pretty much hyped to heaven, and still enjoyed the hell out of this game two times in a row. Will do a third runthrough for sure before the DLC hits.

Well, I've given it a fair chance and finished it once. But I was sceptical from the start, I give you that.

Sanic

derFeef said:
Then Mr. Lake did his job very well. It is supposed to be that way.

I didn't go in with any expectation as to how things were 'supposed to be', so i'm just talking about what i'm seeing as I see it :). It sorta feels like the game jumps between taking itself seriously with a deep story and being a cheap knockoff or parody.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
CitizenCope said:
Finished up the game the other night.
It was decent.
I kept hearing about chapter 4 and well I wasn't disapointed.

I just finished Chapter 4... and I didn't really like it. In fact that may be my least favorite chapter of the game so far.

The
Barn rock concert shooting scene seemed SOOO out of place. I was like WTF, now this game is a campy "Dead Rising" shooting zombies with rock music and some stupidass side kick cracking jokes? And same with the scene of them getting drunk at the end of the chapter

Those two scenes seemed really out of place with the tone of the game to me. I was taking this game a bit more "seriously" and I was liking the story, then they give you those two scenes and makes the game almost seem campy. Along with Barry, whom I also think doesn't really fit the tone of the game that well either. Maybe I want this game to be like Silent Hill and take itself more seriously.

Oh well, need to keep on playing. I was really confused what the hell was going on there at the end of the Chapter 4. I guess I still am... the story is kinda "meh" right now but I'm hoping that it will all come together better.

jkanownik

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I wouldn't call it amateur at all, but for me it just sounds so laced with simile/metaphor to the point of absurdity.

To me it seemed like exactly the kind of pretentious crap a pseudo-intellectual New Yorker wearing two shirts topped with a tweed jacket would write. Perfectly in character.

taoofjord

VALIS said:
Is that a Red Dead avatar? I'm curious what you think about its writing. Talk about abysmal dialogue. I can't compare it to Wake since I haven't started AW yet, but the dialogue in RDR has made me shut that game off multiple times it's so hideous.

I like the writing in Red Dead quite a bit in the last third of the game once the story picks up. The weakest writing was the whole section in Mexico. I wouldn't call the dialogue abysmal by any means, but it certainly runs in circles too often. In its defense, though, it had to (in regard to the stuff you hear when you're riding with someone in a stagecoach or on horseback) since they wrote 7-8 conversations for each mission and it randomly grabbed about half of them so you hear new stuff when you repeat a mission. Because of this, you'll hear the conversations throughout the game cover similar themes.

Some of the over-the-top characters, like Seth and Irish, rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't hate them, but I certainly could have gone without them... they felt too cartoony for the world and the rest of the characters (most of which were the most realistic Rockstar have tackled so far). Also, once I beat the game I looked back on the story more fondly. I believe the slow pacing was intentional and made sense -- same goes with the anticlimactic nature of the resolution of the main plot threads (I wrote a huge ass post in the RDR OT about all of this).

Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked here... I like the writing in Red Dead because it fits the game and it fits the genre almost perfectly. Alan Wake's writing just feels far too self-indulgent and serious without being intentionally campy -- if the writing was better I'd probably be able to ignore that, but I can't since it's nowhere near as tongue-in-cheek as Max Payne 1 & 2 were.

Sanic

jkanownik said:
To me it seemed like exactly the kind of pretentious crap a pseudo-intellectual New Yorker wearing two shirts topped with a tweed jacket would write. Perfectly in character.

You know, that does make sense :lol

jkanownik said:

You described his character almost perfectly ;D

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
MWS Natural said:
Just got it in the mail from Gamefly today...kinda scared to boot it up and play :lol

yeah definitely nothing scary in the game... except when random objects that you wouldn't expect to attack you, start attacking you. :lol

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
MWS Natural said:
Oh ok..so not many intense feelings of dread?

Not sure about the BioShock moments, but there is a very intense feeling of dread throughout this whole game.

It's just not filled to the brim with cheap scares (although I wouldn't say that there aren't any cheap scares, it's just not filled with them).

Adam Prime said:
yeah definitely nothing scary in the game... except when random objects that you wouldn't expect to attack you, start attacking you. :lol

I have to admit, game is currently scary for me at least, Im easily scared by this kind of atmosphere, foggy forest, branches crackling, bright light in the distance, they do a excellent job at this.

taoofjord said:
Some of the over-the-top characters, like Seth and Irish, rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't hate them, but I certainly could have gone without them... they felt too cartoony for the world and the rest of the characters

Dear Rockstar, don't listen to this guy. <3 Irish.

Blimblim said:
Got this in the mail from Remedy:

More information coming on Wednesday as to what exactly this is going to be, but I saw the “almost” final cut today and just couldn’t resist sharing these few snippets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=287757ZH4oU
Looking forward to hearing more about whatever this is today. Kinda thinking it has to be a music video as anything tied more closely to the game I would think would be announced at E3.

FrankT

First screenshot from the upcoming DLC for Alan Wake, "The Signal"

2wq4fag.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=111052&id=102932166411157

Blimblim said:
Got this in the mail from Remedy:

More information coming on Wednesday as to what exactly this is going to be, but I saw the “almost” final cut today and just couldn’t resist sharing these few snippets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=287757ZH4oU

Hmm yea, I guess we should be finding out more about this today then.

imtehman

Banned
Adam Prime said:

It's not scary at all, nothing to worry about :)

did you guys play this game on normal in broad daylight with a bunch of friends holding your hands or somehting?

derFeef said:
Yop. Missing that option every time.

I don't understand how everyone at Remedy and MS missed this. Ur trying to sell everyone on episodic gaming and yet, i cant even play the game that way, even though its supposed to be played that way. Well done.

Sanic

imtehman said:
did you guys play this game on normal in broad daylight with a bunch of friends holding your hands or somehting?

Not at all :lol In fact, half of my playtime yesterday was at night. The only thing that ever really "scares" me, if you can call it that, are things jumping out at you in unexpected situations, which Alan Wake doesn't have a whole lot of, at least so far.

Spiegel

I hope Remedy/MS will pull a LCS/DA:Awakening and release all the DLC chapters in one disc. My 360 is far from the router and I don't want to buy the overpriced Wifi adapter :/

Spiegel said:
I hope Remedy/MS will pull a LCS/DA:Awakening and release all the DLC chapters in one disc. My 360 is far from the router and I don't want to buy the overpriced Wifi adapter :/
Why not just hook up a ethernet cable to download the episode and then unhook afterward? It's an offline game, after all.

Sanic

Spiegel said:

I'm done buying these 800 point "mini expansions" (see Borderlands, Fallout) as they often receive a retail release where I can pick them up cheaper. It all comes down to price, as most of this stuff is not worth what they charge for it, at least for me personally.

Top Bottom