• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Well, it definitely looks like Alan Wake.

The only notable thing I see in those images is the interesting new poltergeist enemy shown.
That should make for a pretty intense encounter. Vroom vroom.

derFeef

Snuggler said:
Well, it definitely looks like Alan Wake.

The only notable thing I see in those images is the interesting new poltergeist enemy shown.
That should make for a pretty intense encounter. Vroom vroom.
Hm, we had a truck poltergeist in the main game. ZANE! is new. omg zane.

Decided to start a second run through Alan Wake. I'm in Episode Two now. Has it been confirmed that The Signal is prequel stuff or what's the deal? There's a trailer up for The Signal for those who haven't seen it.

Mar said:
Finished the game on the weekend and felt compelled to write a blogpost on it. It's on Gamasutra here.

Hint: It didn't grab me.

Good write up, but didn't agree with what you wrote personally. I mean the fact that Alan not actually gripping his hands when he said it in the narration bothered you, well it was just something I didn't even think to look for. Same with the logs, etc. Looking back its not bother me either. Nothing wrong with your viewpoint though, and it seems as a game you still appreciated it, but for you it never took the nessecary steps to go above and beyond those boundaries.

Alan Wake definetly seems to be a polarizing game for some. Thanks for the read. :D

Mar

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Good write up, but didn't agree with what you wrote personally. I mean the fact that Alan not actually gripping his hands when he said it in the narration bothered you, well it was just something I didn't even think to look for. Same with the logs, etc. Looking back its not bother me either. Nothing wrong with your viewpoint though, and it seems as a game you still appreciated it, but for you it never took the nessecary steps to go above and beyond those boundaries.

Alan Wake definetly seems to be a polarizing game for some. Thanks for the read. :D

Yep, I enjoyed the game and don't feel ripped off by it at all. Had a good time. It just had a lot of parts that didn't gel with me.

Really loved the music. I have to find the soundtrack...

skyfinch

ToyMachine228 said:
Decided to start a second run through Alan Wake. I'm in Episode Two now. Has it been confirmed that The Signal is prequel stuff or what's the deal? There's a trailer up for The Signal for those who haven't seen it.

From the video they showed at E3, it like that it takes place right after Episode 6. A continuation of the story.

slider

Wow, I really need to get back into this.

I stopped because I became stuck. Alas I only tried for 3 minutes.

Don't think I need to spoiler this but I will just in case...

At the Mill where you have to climb to the roof... can someone explain, or point me to a video/guide, showing me how to get up there?? I've climbed the ladder, walked around the sides... everything but with no luck. Dammit.

3rdman

slider said:
Wow, I really need to get back into this.

I stopped because I became stuck. Alas I only tried for 3 minutes.

Don't think I need to spoiler this but I will just in case...

At the Mill where you have to climb to the roof... can someone explain, or point me to a video/guide, showing me how to get up there?? I've climbed the ladder, walked around the sides... everything but with no luck. Dammit.
That's episode 2, right? If so you need to kick the weight on the ledge off which will raise a platform that you can jump across to...oh and /spoilers...

slider

3rdman said:
That's episode 2, right? If so you need to kick the weight on the ledge off which will raise a platform that you can jump across to...oh and /spoilers...

Yep, that's it. Awesome dude. Thanks.

3rdman

slider said:
Yep, that's it. Awesome dude. Thanks.
No problem!

On another note, I'm really looking forward to reaching the credits and there better be some mention to David Lynch or Twin Peaks...There are blatant (let's be kind and call them) homages to Lynch and Twin Peaks that it'd be criminal if he weren't mentioned (at least) as inspiration.

I'm walking in late to this thread and haven't really followed the pre-production of this title, so I don't know if Remedy ever really commented on this aspect of their game, but I sure as hell hope they did...

quetz67

Banned
Mar said:
Finished the game on the weekend and felt compelled to write a blogpost on it. It's on Gamasutra here.

Hint: It didn't grab me.
So either you are just unlucky or you were to busy finding things to complain about.

I loved even if I can see every single of your points. This sure isnt a gameplay masterpiece, rather a walk in the park without any real climaxes.

It sure is no masterpiece when it comes to movie sequences, no whole game is no more than an interactive B-Movie.

And I loved every second of it, the vistas and the settings, the simple but well balanced fights and it even frightened me, not as much as System Shock 2 or Silent Hill, but sure more than Bioshock or the latest REs.

Much, much room for improvements and I a really really want a sequel. And sure I hope it will improve, still I enjoyed this very much as I enjoyed many games before that didnt even have physics. And sorry I rather dont want some B-Movie actor (who I mostly see from behind) to do some shakespearan inner conflict stuff.

fernoca

Just got an Xbox 360 Arcade for $150 (the one with Banjo and Viva) and the limited edition of Alan Wake to go with it. (yay +1 on NPD! :p)

So far ,I'm really liking it..the vistas, the feel, the music; the narrative, monologues..It makes me go and read the book included in the limited; but don't know if there are spoilers on it.. :lol

Lets see if it keeps as great as it is, so far..

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It only gets better, my friend.

I was actually a little unsure of the game during the first couple chapters but 3 through 5 blew me away. I enjoyed the first 2 chapters a lot more on my 2nd run on Nightmare difficulty, both the mechanics and the story.

Numpt3

Can't wait to get back into this, my 360 red ringed shortly before I was due to go away for a few weeks... With any luck it'l be back from the repair centre by the time I get home then I can carry on with it. Definitely my GOTY so far.

Those dlc screens look good, will be picking it up for sure.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hell yeah, Nick Cave is the man.
"In Dreams" was probably my favorite song on the credits, love me some Orbison. The Black Angels are awesome but I still haven't heard "Young Men Dead" yet. It must be that one damned radio that I somehow have missed.

Anybody buy Alan Wake from a Best Buy within the past 30 days? Tomorrow it will be on sale for $39.99 (along with Blur and BC2) if you care to take advantage of their price match guarantee.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
-viper- said:
Just started the game. It's pretty good so far, but I'm really early in.

How long is the game?

There isn't a time counter, but there are 6 chapters all together and I'd estimate that it took me between 8-10 hours to beat it the first time. It could be over or under that depending on the difficulty and how much time you spend looking for collectibles and side paths.

derFeef

slasher_thrasher21 said:
About a 30 second Teaser for a short fan made film me and one other person are working on, inspired by Remedy's Alan Wake series.:D
Awesome man, can not wait. If you need any help in regards of graphics or design, hook me up.

Finished my second run through Alan Wake today. Grabbed a bunch of achievements I missed the first time through. Think I'm done until The Signal hits. Hope it does something to clarify the story.

I have been struggling with myself the last hour not to post here, but it's stronger than me.

I forced myself to finish it today.

I say this, without trolling, or any exaggeration, but Alan Wake is the single worst game I have played in the last three years, at least. I can't even remember a game for which I have more contempt than this turd. I feel about as offended as when I watched Donnie Darko (which shares similarities with AW, and for which my hatred is infinite).

I'd discuss the reasons, but this will make me enter endless circular debates, and make me waste even more hours than I already wasted playing this game.

Ugh. I am really angry :(. I loved Max Payne. This, this.. gah. gah. gah.

harriet the spy said:
I have been struggling with myself the last hour not to post here, but it's stronger than me.

I forced myself to finish it today.

I say this, without trolling, or any exaggeration, but Alan Wake is the single worst game I have played in the last three years, at least. I can't even remember a game for which I have more contempt than this turd. I feel about as offended as when I watched Donnie Darko (which shares similarities with AW, and for which my hatred is infinite).

I'd discuss the reasons, but this will make me enter endless circular debates, and make me waste even more hours than I already wasted playing this game.

Ugh. I am really angry :(. I loved Max Payne. This, this.. gah. gah. gah.

I'm guessing you're drunk? Stating Alan Wake is the worst title in "the last three years" despite it's shortcomings is fucking stupid unless you've only been playing triple A titles.

Spirit of Jazz said:
I'm guessing you're drunk? Stating Alan Wake is the worst title in "the last three years" despite it's shortcomings is fucking stupid unless you've only been playing triple A titles.

Kindly go f** yourself with the 'fucking stupid'. I am just stating my opinion. I didn't say it's the worst game in the last three years, it is the worst game _I played_ in the last three years. and yes, I usually am picky about the games i play and enjoy them. I don't see the point of playing bad ones. I don't play that much either, which helps.

Best Buy is having a sale this week for this game for $39.99.

I'm thinking about picking this up. I was going to save some cash for Puzzle Quest 2 and Sin & Punishment 2, but that $39.99 price is very tempting.

What should I do guys? Should I pick it up?

cantona222

Man, I played the first hour of the game yesterday, and I'm really liking it. The story looks promising.
The scene in the diner in general, and especially the scene where Alane and Alice left the diner with the "wrong keys" and the guy was shouting to try and get their attention was really gripping. It's a great set up for what looks like to be a great game :D

Lunchbox

Banned
harriet the spy said:
I say this, without trolling, or any exaggeration, but Alan Wake is the single worst game I have played in the last three years, at least.

gbdance.gif

kaskade

Apparently Best Buy has it on sale for 40 bucks. Going to go pick it up. I was thinking about getting Dead Space but that can wait.

Well, for me, it's probably the worst game I've played in a year or two also.

However, that's because I don't play that many games (maybe 7-10 a year), and the ones I do buy tend to be things I know I'll really like. I would never go so far as to call this game a "turd." I wasn't very into it, but it was decent.

harriet the spy said:
Kindly go f** yourself with the 'fucking stupid'. I am just stating my opinion. I didn't say it's the worst game in the last three years, it is the worst game _I played_ in the last three years. and yes, I usually am picky about the games i play and enjoy them. I don't see the point of playing bad ones. I don't play that much either, which helps.
you don't have to be that aggressive to express yourself.

smh

Solid warrior said:
you don't have to be that aggressive to express yourself.

smh

Well, apologies if that came off too strong- I must be a distant cousin of that guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YKbYLb5GVc#t=0m18s

I just thought Jazz's comment was incredibly pointless
even more so than my own post
. I obviously didn't state that AW was the worst game of the last three years. I still think it's a very poor game, imo. Bad story, incredibly bad writing, kind of nifty game mechanic that got tiring after being beaten in the ground wayy early in the game, and god awful animation. If I had time I would spend a day making gifs of Alan's hideously gaping mouth.

Only redeeming features were light effects, and music (though that was also incredibly repetitive _in game_). Again, imo.

theRizzle

I'm worried that Remedy are going to half-ass the first DLC because everyone who bought new is going to get it anyways, and then they are going to come out with a second DLC for 800 points that looks much better.

3rdman

I just finished the game over the weekend and I'm pretty disappointed with it...The game structure reminds me of a platformer and the point of any platformer is to simply "get to the other side"...You can, of course, make this argument about every shooter, RPG, and action game but when the path to get there is repetitive and devoid of anything worth exploring, it's a damning critique.

Every level was simply an excuse to walk through the woods...every one....no variation. They would, of course populate the woods with a building here and there, but none of these building are anything more than a storage place for flares and ammo...glorified storage bins, really. There was, of course, one level that was in the town but that didn't feel much different from the other levels...which gets me to my second complaint: it's extreme linearity.

Every level is nothing but one long corridor...The only time you ever actually walk off the path is when there are ammo caches to be found and that is pretty much it. If the developers allowed Allan Wake to run at full clip without fatiguing, you could probably finish the game in under 3 hours as there is NOTHING to do other that go from point "A" to point "B".

Lastly, and perhaps this is borne from my own ignorance, but I expected a "Psychological Thriller" that rips off Twin Peaks at every turn to actually give you something to investigate. There is no one to talk to, no evidence to collect, no town to explore, and nothing to do EXCEPT go from point "A" to point "B". Also, since I mentioned it here, Remedy should have included something in the credits about Twin Peaks or David Lynch seeing as they were so quick to steal many of his ideas...Some of them are extremely obvious too...the "Lamp Lady" is a complete rip off of the "Log Lady" from Twin Peaks, right down to the way she hold the lamp (log) to the way she speaks. The diner is almost an exact copy (except for the location of the juke box) to the Mar-T in Twin Peaks. Inclusions of songs like Orbison's "In Dreams" which was made famous in "Blue Velvet". The Pacific Northwest is the same location for both the game and Twin Peaks....and so on. Seriously, there should have been some mention of it even if it were to simply thank Mr Lynch from their inspiration...As a fan of Lynch's works, I was particularly bothered by this.

All in all, I'm glad I rented this title because if I were to buy it, I'd feel pretty ripped off. I think that Edge gave this one a "7" and that is slightly higher than what I would have given it...It certainly had it's scary moments but it also felt like it was nothing more than a long tech demo....perhaps the inevitable sequel will be better.

3rdman said:
Every level was simply an excuse to walk through the woods...every one....no variation. They would, of course populate the woods with a building here and there, but none of these building are anything more than a storage place for flares and ammo...glorified storage bins, really.
This statement is wrong, especially for episodes
4, 5, and 6

Did you even play the game?

3rdman

Dax01 said:
This statement is wrong, especially for episodes
4, 5, and 6

Did you even play the game?
Yes and although there is a bit more room to maneuver in (especially in the final level) and a few more scripted moments, it still maintains the linear path through the level.

3rdman said:
Yes and although there is a bit more room to maneuver in (especially in the final level) and a few more scripted moments, it still maintains the linear path through the level.
I wasn't talking about the linearity?

Owzers

Finished the game a little while ago, favorite chapter was probably 5 since it was a nice long break from walking through a forest alone. I didn't like the dodging mechanic and the screen tearing drove me nuts, but overall i enjoyed the game.

charsace

One of the best games this gen. Shooting has great feedback and the dodging mechanic is fun (unless you get caught in a corner :().

harriet the spy said:
Well, apologies if that came off too strong- I must be a distant cousin of that guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YKbYLb5GVc#t=0m18s

I just thought Jazz's comment was incredibly pointless
even more so than my own post
. I obviously didn't state that AW was the worst game of the last three years. I still think it's a very poor game, imo. Bad story, incredibly bad writing, kind of nifty game mechanic that got tiring after being beaten in the ground wayy early in the game, and god awful animation. If I had time I would spend a day making gifs of Alan's hideously gaping mouth.

Only redeeming features were light effects, and music (though that was also incredibly repetitive _in game_). Again, imo.
I don't think you got what the game was doing. It spoofs horror and fantasy authors like King, Brown, Hamilton, Harris, Vaughn and other authors in the same vein. The dialogue is ripped from that style. If you didn't see that from the character dialogue then the pages should have clued you in.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
3rdman said:
I just finished the game over the weekend and I'm pretty disappointed with it...The game structure reminds me of a platformer and the point of any platformer is to simply "get to the other side"...You can, of course, make this argument about every shooter, RPG, and action game but when the path to get there is repetitive and devoid of anything worth exploring, it's a damning critique.

I'm trying to convince myself to finish it. I'm sure I have an army of lumberjacks and farm equipment in my way. I honestly wish this game had a little more Deadly Premonition it in.

charsace said:
One of the best games this gen. Shooting has great feedback and the dodging mechanic is fun (unless you get caught in a corner :().

I don't think you got what the game was doing. It spoofs horror and fantasy authors like King, Brown, Hamilton, Harris, Vaughn and other authors in the same vein. The dialogue is ripped from that style. If you didn't see that from the character dialogue then the pages should have clued you in.

Just because it's a spoof doesn't mean the writing and/or story aren't bad. Meet The Spartans was a parody. It got horrible reviews not because of its intentionally bad writing but because it didn't work to entertain and be funny.

Note that I'm not saying Alan Wake is shit like Meet The Spartans. It was just an example. Personally, I found AW's story and story presentation to vary in quality. In the end, I was left unsatisfied, but there were definitely moments of excellence here and there.

Top Bottom