• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS5 collection sucks compared to previous gens

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I've been gaming since the C64 and this is the most lackluster, boring, safe console generation so far. All the excitement is gone and this is quite visible by the number of physical PS games on my shelves.

PS3: 90+ games
PS4: 64 games
PS5: 19 games

I think I only bought one physical PS5 game this entire year: Stellar Blade. The only game I'm looking forward to is the new Astrobot game. Everything else is meh ...

Is there anyone out there in GAF land who's been buying more PS5 games than during the PS4 and PS3 gen?

Mr Hyde

I have a very modest PS5 collection so far compared to PS4, and even PS3. 28 games so far on PS5, not counting digital games. PS4 is my biggest so far, with over 108 physical (and maybe 30+ digital). PS3 is 46 physical and around 35 digital games (sold off a lot of my collection due to getting remasters on PS4). I wouldn't say PS5 generation is bad, I've had a lot of fun so far, and console itself is the best one Sony has put out imo, but compared to previous gens I agree it's lackluster. PS4 is easily my favorite generation alongside PS1.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I barely got anything for the system. Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Ragnarok, Returnal, Humanity, Sifu.

I stopped getting multiplat games for it or else I could list more. I'm probably going to unhook it soon and pack it away so I can hook up the Wii U or PS3 for a bit. I might be able to borrow Astro Bot, so that should be fun at least.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

I mean...all of PS studios will be releasing games during the next 4 or 5 years so chances are it will be better.
No if forbidden west, Ragnarok and SM2 are something to go by ... all bad sequels to better games ... ND for me is a lost cause... right now in terms of sequels only Ghost of Tsushima 2 is really in my radar. And Astrobot should be really good.

Last edited:

Rippa

Blame the wokes for abolishing “crunch”

It’s the reason why we’re waiting 4+ years for one game.

There would be, at the very least, twice as many new games for this generation if the sensitives didn’t cry about having to work overtime; god-forbid.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yeah it's true though most of the really great games I have on pc so that skews my library. Thanks Jim!

mdkirby

opposite for me, ive bought the most, at least £1000 worth every year, tho not a single physical game. Conversely, Xbox ive bought ZERO on xbox, just haves games pass, and even then it barely gets used/turned on, so I should probably cancel it.

Zathalus

I feel like I'm living in bizzaro land. There have been tons of good games since the PS5 launched. A fair bit of them are not exclusives but the games themselves have been great.
Blame the wokes for abolishing “crunch”

It’s the reason why we’re waiting 4+ years for one game.

There would be, at the very least, twice as many new games for this generation if the sensitives didn’t cry about having to work overtime; god-forbid.
Crunch =/= overtime. Nobody complains about the latter, the former is when people are working 80+ hour work weeks for weeks or months on end.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Sad Michael Jordan GIF

Bernardougf

They’re entering the second half and the tentpole releases we know about are going to be Concord and Fairgame$ :messenger_loudly_crying:
Yep .... and a bunch of (until now) unnamed vaporware ... dont want to enter in another political discussion but the clear gaas shift/push associated with the more "modern vision" approach in their western teams,especially insomniac and nauthy dog, just killed sony this gen (for me)... Im hoping for a good astrobot and ghost of tsushima 2... dont have hope for anything more.

Fess

Full generations vs half generation…

But anyway software output has been good enough so far that it annoys me that I’ve had to rebuy so much on PC when dropping the console. Still have GT7 and Demon’s Souls to rebuy. And eventually comes Stellar Blade, Rebirth, Spider-Man 2, FFXVI, Ronin. And that’s just the exclusive games.

Last edited:
No if forbidden west, Ragnarok and SM2 are something to go by ... all bad sequels to better games ... ND for me is a lost cause... right now in terms of sequels only Ghost of Tsushima 2 is really in my radar. And Astrobot should be really good.
This is the only real answer atm.

If only we had an IP lineup like PS3 with the graphical power we have now. My God would it shine.

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
I feel like I'm living in bizzaro land. There have been tons of good games since the PS5 launched. A fair bit of them are not exclusives but the games themselves have been great.

Just this year Sony has given us one great sequel (Helldivers 2), 3 new IP's (Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Concord), Astrobot is on the day as well. One remaster (TLOU2) and one remake (Until Dawn). They literally released FFVII Rebirth as a timed exclusive as well.

You have single player games, you have platformers, RPG's, action games, multiplayer games from all sorts, etc.

Maybe some users simply don't enjoy Sony's games currently. Maybe Playstation outgrew them and they still haven't realized it. But how in the hell this is a bad year for games i'll never know.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Man, these jokes would work if Astro Bot wasn't releasing two weeks after Concord, with a 90+ Metacritic review thread shortly before launch.
Fairgame$? Lol, we have fucking Death Stranding 2 coming next year.
Bernardougf Bernardougf said he hopes for a PS3 style second half of the gen.

Do you think Astrobot and DS2 are equal to games like Uncharted 2, The Last of Us and God of War III?

aclar00

Yeah not so great for me either. I may have like 10 or 12, but at least two or 3 of those are games i was never really interested in, but decided to either try them or were gifted them...looking at you Returnal and whichever Assassin's Creed game I was given.

Edit: Kind of a sad day when the next game im looking forward to is the Marvel vs Capcom collection.

Last edited:

Trilobit

I've been gaming since the C64 and this is the most lackluster, boring, safe console generation so far. All the excitement is gone and this is quite visible by the number of physical PS games on my shelves.

PS3: 90+ games
PS4: 64 games
PS5: 19 games

I think I only bought one physical PS5 game this entire year: Stellar Blade. The only game I'm looking forward to is the new Astrobot game. Everything else is meh ...

Is there anyone out there in GAF land who's been buying more PS5 games than during the PS4 and PS3 gen?

PS2 was my latest Sony console so I've been having a blast catching up with PS3 and PS4 games. But the PS5 game library on its own is quite disappointing. Quantitywise that is. I hope we get a good amount of cross-gen games during PS6 era, because I don't think I'll bother to buy it. I'll wait for PS7.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

Halfway through the gen and I've bought 132 PS5 games. In comparison, my PS4 library consist of 221 games and worth adding that I continued buying PS4 games even after the PS5 released.

I expect to purchase around 300 PS5 games in total by the time the gen ends.

These are all physical game purchases, btw.

aclar00

PS2 was my latest Sony console so I've been having a blast catching up with PS3 and PS4 games. But the PS5 game library on its own is quite disappointing. Quantitywise that is. I hope we get a good amount of cross-gen games during PS6 era, because I don't think I'll bother to buy it. I'll wait for PS7.

I feel like part of the problem was the cross-gen games. Even though i bought many, they were mostly just ok. I dont know if it was the mid-gen refresh, but this gen feels like an entire fucking mid-gen refresh.

Paasei

Prices went up
Quality is not a given
There’s simply not that many games
Too much GaaS/F2P games

My reasons for only having 7 games on PS5. Actually 6, because one of them is a remake of a game I never played before: Demon’s Souls.

Doesn’t help I mostly play my games on PC, though.

Trilobit

I feel like part of the problem was the cross-gen games. Even though i bought many, they were mostly just ok. I dont know if it was the mid-gen refresh, but this gen feels like an entire fucking mid-gen refresh.

I wonder how much worse it will get before it is no longer possible to have 5-8 year development times on games.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Just a minor "I told you so" to the people giving me shit yesterday for saying that PS gamers seem uniquely depressed and unsatisfied lately in the "industry is dying" thread. There's a thread like this every few days. 🤷‍♂️
I've said it before but the whole praise over PS5 around this board is nothing more than a response to Xbox crashing and burning, and to trigger the 5 remaining fanboys.
In the outer online world where Xbox isn't even a consideration for most people, people keep saying the same shit they did in 07 about the ps3: PS5 has no games!

And by No games, we mean no EXCLUSIVE games. PS5 is OK if you want to play third parties or PS4 games from years past

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
And by No games, we mean no EXCLUSIVE games. PS5 is OK if you want to play third parties or PS4 games from years past
Of course. I have a mountain of stuff to play. A small fraction of those are exclusive games. PS5 has some multiplat games that don't even hit Xbox as well, so they have more of those too. And yet, a lot of these people are miserable 24/7. I didn't say I know the reason why, just pointing it out because it's true. Nintendo fans don't do this. Xbox fans mostly get shit on for being too positive. PC gamers definitely aren't doing this. I was right.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think there has been some truly great games this gen but it's definitely the worst gen for Playstation and Xbox. Nintendo have continued to kill it all gen for me, truly great games.

Playstation 5 has had Returnal for me and that's it. :(
There has been good games that ive played on my PS5 but not as many as I expected. Ghost Of Tsushima. Demons Souls, GT7, Astros playroom. I think that's it.

Xbox, well....Gears Hivebusters, Halo Inifinite and Forza Horizon are all that I would consider good/great - Theres probably more awesome indie games on Gamepass. Or JRPGs like Octopath 2 and Yakuza Like a dragon infinite wealth, but I play those equally between PC and Xbox.
I think Gamepass has been great for me but thats about it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Of course. I have a mountain of stuff to play. A small fraction of those are exclusive games. PS5 has some multiplat games that don't even hit Xbox as well, so they have more of those too. And yet, a lot of these people are miserable 24/7. I didn't say I know the reason why, just pointing it out because it's true. Nintendo fans don't do this. Xbox fans mostly get shit on for being too positive. PC gamers definitely aren't doing this. I was right.
I still think the ps5 as a whole is a preferable console to the xsx (unless you have an extensive library of Xbox 360 games) but it's not the bees knees like ps2, late gen ps3/ps4 was... PC ports as well as less exclusives coming out make it hard to recommend the hardware to anyone not on a budget
I'm glad I made the decision to go full pc, very little regrets

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Yeah this has been a slow generation for sure, but I have so little time right now that it’s not a major issue for me.

My backlog is still stupid, I could probably never buy a new game again and still be happy just working my way through games I haven’t played until the sweet embrace of death arrives.

Top Bottom